• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

Why would they not give Sly the ability to block in a fighting game. He was the only character they announced so far that I wanted to play...

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
The downfall of this game, from watching those GameTrailers chuckle-heads talk about it, will most likely be how it's built around the Final Smash mechanic from Brawl. Final Smash is the grossest example of Nintendo trying to mitigate skill disparity since Mario Kart's blue shell. Parappa has a super that insta-kills everyone. that's like eight blue shells of holy shit this is hot trash.

At the very least I hope they have a mode where you get a different scoring system. Ideally, I would love the smash percentage system, but maybe the developer feels that's too close to Smash and/or they believe their own "it looks similar, but it's actually different" spin.

I hope they include some of the more fun characters and not too much real people nonsense like killzone/resistance/uncharted/whatevz. Loco Roco and Patapon could be swarm-like characters where you had direct control over a small group of loco rocos/patapons and the amount of characters you had could be affected. Would also love to see some inappropriate stuff like the character from Journey or Echochrome, just for the lulz of it.

Audioboxer

What about Power Stone 2?

Anyways, waiting to see if any interesting characters come up. I'll probably buy if there's at least 5 decent characters to play as.

It's still camera fixated on a 2D plane.

I was more inclining full 3D movement (camera, character, environment).

Modelling it around how Power Stone works still wouldn't stop the out-roar of SB rip off. The formula is still heavily taken from, that aspect I simply cannot see being able to be done any differently.

Gabe Logan

Hope its
logan.jpg

and not
syphon_dmps2_gabe.jpg

surprised at the lack of Drake in the reveal considering he is probably the most popular PS3 character imo.

jett

D-Member
I think everyone should watch GT's "First Take" video. Really informative stuff, and they detail how it's not exactly like Smash Bros. I don't get why GT keeps their crew hidden, those two guys seemed pretty knowledgeable.

The downfall of this game, from watching those GameTrailers chuckle-heads talk about it, will most likely be how it's built around the Final Smash mechanic from Brawl. Final Smash is the grossest example of Nintendo trying to mitigate skill disparity since Mario Kart's blue shell. Parappa has a super that insta-kills everyone. that's like eight blue shells of holy shit this is hot trash.

What the fuck? What? Final Smashes, for the most part, were fucking fair. If you're good at Brawl, you can normally avoid that shit or recover from it. More often than not, they're either finishers or insta-kills that require some proper timing to use. (I've fucked up activating Galaxia Darkness or Great Aether enough to know those moves aren't a given.) The only really broken FS I can think of is Marth's. Maybe Samus', seeing as being ZSS is in no way a disadvantage.

But insta-kill everyone? BOO. They should have him call on Chop Master Onion to assist him or something.

Gravijah

At the very least I hope they have a mode where you get a different scoring system. Ideally, I would love the smash percentage system, but maybe the developer feels that's too close to Smash and/or they believe their own "it looks similar, but it's actually different" spin.

I hope they include some of the more fun characters and not too much real people nonsense like killzone/resistance/uncharted/whatevz. Loco Roco and Patapon could be swarm-like characters where you had direct control over a small group of loco rocos/patapons and the amount of characters you had could be affected. Would also love to see some inappropriate stuff like the character from Journey or Echochrome, just for the lulz of it.

it's a party game, not a competitive fighter.

KalBalboa

Banned
Hope its
logan.jpg

and not
syphon_dmps2_gabe.jpg

surprised at the lack of Drake in the reveal considering he is probably the most popular PS3 character imo.

The roster they revealed was good at showing what types of characters will pop up (IE: all), but yeah, they definitely saved Drake for E3. I would love for the E3 presentation to show Drake and Snake talking for a bit before commencing in battle.

What the fuck? What? Final Smashes, for the most part, were fucking fair. If you're good at Brawl, you can normally avoid that shit or recover from it. More often than not, they're either finishers or insta-kills that require some proper timing to use. (I've fucked up activating Galaxia Darkness or Great Aether enough to know those moves aren't a given.) The only really broken FS I can think of is Marth's. Maybe Samus', seeing as being ZSS is in no way a disadvantage.

But insta-kill everyone? BOO. They should have him call on Chop Master Onion to assist him or something.
Granted the supers work on a meter system, so achieving this may not be as easy as you think.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
*disbelief*
this is going by what was said by the GameTrailers guys, maybe there is a way to avoid getting killed and they just didn't know it? just maybe? probably not.

Also the supers shown in the video had cutscene intros (twisted black clown) or modified the HUD (Sly Cooper), and Parappa's apparently is a cutscene where he raps a verse and then everyone dies, so the pace of this game is prolly hella wack.

this is going by what was said by the GameTrailers guys, maybe there is a way to avoid getting killed and they just didn't know it? just maybe? probably not.

Also the supers shown in the video had cutscene intros (twisted black clown) or modified the HUD (Sly Cooper), and Parappa's apparently is a cutscene where he raps a verse and then everyone dies, so the pace of this game is prolly hella wack.

JUST LIKE 'PAC, SON

Yeah, the cutscenes for supers isn't a huge bother, Smash did that sometimes (Captain Falcon for example) and got away with it, so I'm not fussed about that, it's more just the balancing I fear. I know it's not a competitive fighter, and all that, but it should still be mostly fair.

So the gameplay can be similar if the fighters are not mascots?

Well, it can be in both cases, it's just not very inspired (or too inspired) in either. Going with your example of Viewtiful Joe, the gameplay in the SP games actually made a Smash type game the next logical step. But this isn't about VJ.

From my point of view, it's about the premise being exactly the same. Regardless of what I think about the game, it's pretty apparent that they wanted to make Sony Smash Bros. I'm not saying it'll be awful but let's not kid ourselves: They went the safe route and nobody should be surprised that people are judging them for that. It's the same kind of shit MoH gets for being too CoD-ey. Of course there are also some crazy ones saying Nintendo should sue but they should be banned by now or better left ignored.

Personally, I feel Sony should have done something different. IMO they're at their best when they don't try to outright copy something but put their own spin on it. You might argue that they're doing that for PASBR but from what I've read and seen I'm not really convinced.

I'll probably still get to play it at a friends house and I'm actually interested in the finer mechanics and how and if they'll affect the next SSB... but that's really it. I won't judge anybody who likes it but when I look at this, I'm thinking about SSB in the back of my head. Don't know if that's a good thing or not. The dev team seems to be aware of it though (how could they not) and pretty confident that they can impress the skeptics. I will keep an eye on this for sure.

jett

D-Member
I forgot where I read that the one who won as Parappa in an office tournament (probably gametrailers?), chose Level 1/2 super attacks only

GT guys say you can't choose which super to pull off. If you're at level 3 you can't pull off three level 1 supers.

Personally don't really like the idea of not having a health bar and only being able to kill with supers, seems weird.

darkwing

GT guys say you can't choose which super to pull off. If you're at level 3 you can't pull off three level 1 supers.

Personally don't really like the idea of not having a health bar and only being able to kill with supers, seems weird.

yeah I mean he only activated level 1/2 powers to win, maybe level 3 takes so much to accumulate

Woah, cool... this is interesting.

Nohar

Hehe.

Now, in all seriousness, I admit that this could be a fun game. I'm wondering which third party characters will join the team.

So is there any incentive to using different attacks? What's to stop spamming one attack in an effort to build the level 3 super earn a point?

Do we know if certain attacks build at a faster rate than others?

jett

D-Member
yeah I mean he only activated level 1/2 powers to win, maybe level 3 takes so much to accumulate

Oh all right.

BTW I find it strange that all the attacks you have are basically for building meter only, seems like a really weird way to design a fighting game. No ring outs either or a smash attack variant, apparently, if I understood them correctly.

KevinCow

Banned
Apparently you can lose meter when you get hit with certain attacks, so I guess it kinda makes sense for the level 3 to be pretty powerful. Level 1 and 2, you can save for when you need them. But you can lose your level 3 by taking one wrong attack.

Still, killing everyone on screen seems crazy.

Carl

Christ, SO MUCH COMPLAINING.

Why is Smash Bros the only mascot fighter that is allowed to exist? Competition breeds innovation. Sony makes this, Ninty makes Smash Bros even better, Sony makes All Stars 2 better again, etc. Why is there anything wrong with that?

If activating Level 3 is basically incredibly dangerous to achieve, in terms of how long it takes and how much punishment is usually accrued over that time, then Level 3 being a giant murder ray from the sky is perfectly acceptable.

JUST LIKE 'PAC, SON

Yeah, the cutscenes for supers isn't a huge bother, Smash did that sometimes (Captain Falcon for example) and got away with it, so I'm not fussed about that, it's more just the balancing I fear. I know it's not a competitive fighter, and all that, but it should still be mostly fair.

I don't consider Smash Bros to be a competitive game either, but after seeing all the vitriol and hate spewed against Brawl for eliminating a few exploits and changing the physics a bit, only time will tell how rabid people will get over this game.

If this game takes off, I suspect a similar competitive scene to form itself and decry every change made to a potential sequel before going out of their way to mod the sequel and recreate the exploits of the original.

Why is Smash Bros the only mascot fighter that is allowed to exist? Competition breeds innovation. Sony makes this, Ninty makes Smash Bros even better, Sony makes All Stars 2 better again, etc. Why is there anything wrong with that?

There isn't. If anything Nintendo should feel flattered as Sony decided that the best way to provide fan service is by imitating a format that Nintendo established. And I actually agree with them, even if I do find that the way they go about it is absolutely shameless.

Gravijah

you know the answer in your heart.

darkwing

Oh all right.

BTW I find it strange that all the attacks you have are basically for building meter only, seems like a really weird way to design a fighting game. No ring outs either, apparently, if I understood them correctly.

well based on the media impressions they seem to like it, I guess we have to play it for ourselves, in either case this is just 1 game mode we have seen

Raw64life

It is striking how similar to Brawl it looks but as long as it's fun I'm fine with it. Brawl came out over 4 years ago so it's not exactly like I'm sick of this kind of game.

paskowitz

Some logical final boss options:

Translator San:
TRANSLATOR-GUY_1140397d.jpg

(This would ensure 100% victory)

Joe Mauer:
Picture-2.png

Butler Master Hands:
butlerlbpBOOM610.jpg

Marcus:
marcus-psp.jpg

(Because you will want to kill him so badly)

Meier

I don't think most people are "complaining" rather than just pointing out how blatant a rip-off it is. It's on par with Zynga's Tiny Tower ripoff game. That they did nothing to differentiate themselves is fairly surprising.

I think the fact that the graphics are relatively poor (the biggest issue for me is the outline.. it just makes the characters standout so much from their surroundings which is most definitely not a good thing) isn't doing it any favors either.

Number45

Personally, I feel Sony should have done something different. IMO they're at their best when they don't try to outright copy something but put their own spin on it. You might argue that they're doing that for PASBR but from what I've read and seen I'm not really convinced.
I think it's clear to everyone they need their safe bets. I still think Sony do a great job of supporting more unique projects, so for them to want something to bank on isn't a surprise.

It looks like fun anyway. Ignoring the roster for now, what they're doing with the stages looks really frenetic and fun. I only played the GC SSB (Melee?), and I didn't get too much out of it because I didn't get much of an opportunity to play it multiplayer, so I'll be curious to see how it holds up played online. :)

From my point of view, it's about the premise being exactly the same. Regardless of what I think about the game, it's pretty apparent that they wanted to make Sony Smash Bros.

I see it like a logical step. PS built a lot of characters, and now is the time of using the character popularity to mix them together. They made it in the Playstation Move Heroes, but not all characters fit in that kind of game. Not all characters will fit, also, in a conventional sidescrolling fighting game, or a shooter.

So a brawl game without blood is a good choice. Another option should be make a party game using the characters. Maybe some kind of board game using challenges. Sony should think about this...

KevinCow

Banned
So is there any incentive to using different attacks? What's to stop spamming one attack in an effort to build the level 3 super earn a point?

Same as any other fighting game, I imagine. If you spam one move over and over again, you're being predictable and your opponent will just figure out how to dodge that attack and punish it. Ideally, the characters' moves will be designed in such a way that different moves are more effective in different situations, so spamming one move over and over again won't be an effective technique.

Do we know if certain attacks build at a faster rate than others?

I imagine so. Since you're not actually dealing damage, a slow power attack wouldn't have much use if it didn't build more meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom