• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwing

You know what would be cool?

Square: Good attacks.
Triangle: Evil attacks.

The game keeps track of which you've used more, and Cole's appearance changes to show this. Then your special attacks on O have different properties based on your alignment. When good, grenades will stick to opponents; when evil, they'll split into three.

wow, this is ingenious

That Paul Gale guy's been right with everything he's said so far. According to him, Drake and Jak & Daxter (as a pair) are also playable, and the final roster count is somewhere around two dozen.

It needs at least 40 to appease all the types of fans..unlocks maybe.. 24 leaves massive room for "i am disappoint".

bounchfx

holy shit that is one ugly game. Looking forward to it even if it is shameless in ripping off Smash bros. Can't wait to see who the other characters are.

Dave Long

Banned
People who have played this game say it's incredibly fun. Do you want another shooter on PS3 instead?
Actually, I want something original where they combine their characters. That would've been far more interesting to me. Ratchet, Crash, Sly, etc. They could've built a game that utilized all their franchises that wasn't a Brawl type game and built something cool. Instead they cloned something from Nintendo... AGAIN. It's just not interesting to me.

Sony needs to stop playing it so safe all the time. The reason Smash Bros. was so amazing was it was something completely out of left field but retained popular characters. It grew from there. I think Sony underestimates their ability to do something similar.

I think he said around 24 was the current roster at the time. Obviously there's plenty of room for it to grow and it's been a while since then already.

Actually, I want something original where they combine their characters. That would've been far more interesting to me. Ratchet, Crash, Sly, etc. They could've built a game that utilized all their franchises that wasn't a Brawl type game and built something cool. Instead they cloned something from Nintendo... AGAIN. It's just not interesting to me.

LittleBigPlanet?

Carl

Sony needs to stop playing it so safe all the time. The reason Smash Bros. was so amazing was it was something completely out of left field but retained popular characters. It grew from there. I think Sony underestimates their ability to do something similar.

Lol.

vg260

I think he said around 24 was the current roster at the time. Obviously there's plenty of room for it to grow and it's been a while since then already.

24 doesn't feel like a lot.

I'm way more interested in this than Smash. I burned out on Mario and the gang years ago, even though I was a fan as a kid. I wouldn't be sad if we never saw Mario in another game again.

Hahahaha ahhhh this cracked me up. Thanks man.

The artstyle is bad IMO, it needs to be more colorful.

Why isn't Parrapa flat?? madness!! :(

I like Sly's fighting style, I use these kinds of characters on DotA2 so he is the only one that clicks with me so far.

Lara and Cloud plz

WillyFive

I don't like how the characters have a white border around them, it makes the game look very ugly when all of the lighting is very dark and dull.

I doubt Sony fans will ever understand what I'm saying so I'll just stop there. Have fun with this!

This is such an awful post. Haha.

I'm sure the roster will grow as we learn more...the game isn't due until the holiday. There are definitely some visual tweaks they need to make and I highly doubt what we're seeing is close to final. How many Sony games look the same when they're first revealed compared to when they launch?

darkwing

I don't like how the characters have a white border around them, it makes the game look very ugly when all of the lighting is very dark and dull.

it just signifies the player has his special attacks ready

more info here

Character Moves
"Every character has approximately two dozen attacks in their arsenal, and they vary wildly".
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...04/27/ps-all-stars-battle-royale-preview.aspx

Single Player
The best news of all, though, is that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is primed with options. The game can be played locally or online with up to four players, which will no doubt be the meat of the experience for many players. But a single-player, campaign has also been promised, one that will satisfy solo gamers while supplementing everyone else's experience. It's not only about online or only about single-player, but rather a combination of both. In other words: the best of both worlds.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Game Modes
The game features a number of cool game modes for both single and multiplayer, with a focus on online play which features a robust tournament mode. Players will be able to compete against each other as well as play cooperatively. We can’t wait for you all to try it for yourself.

Until then, please stay tuned; there are plenty more features, characters, and levels we want to show. And you definitely don’t want to miss what we’ve got in store for E3!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/26/see-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-in-action/

2 game modes revealed and played so far which are shown in the videos now
One mode where there is a set amount of lives that the player has, and will be out of the match if he runs out of it, another is a time based mode where the winner is the one who has dealt the most amount of KOs but there is no KO counter shown on the screen
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-interview-playstation-all-stars/729624?

Additional Character info from IGN
Parappa the Rapper has strength at close range, where he can use his Chop Chop Master Onion-learned kung-fu stylings on his opponents.
Colonel Radec on the other hand, is almost entirely ineffective unless at a distance, relying on a plethora of Helghan firearms and pieces of technology from afar.
Sweet Tooth's considerable strength complements his brutal fighting style
Kratos' skill with his arsenal of weapons is obvious.
Sly Cooper's agility shines through almost immediately, and he has a special skill that no other character has. He forfeits his ability to block -- something every other character can do -- instead going invisible when the L1 button is held down. This allows him to sneakily slink around and get the jump on other characters.
Fat Princess, on the other hand, relies on her deceptive, innocent look to get in close and cause the brunt of her damage. She can even summon forth minions such as the sword-wielding warrior or the fire-throwing wizard from her self-titled game to briefly supplement her attacks.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Game Items
the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

Drop item through the R1 button

Items like rocket launchers and the Spear of Destiny from God of War will occasionally drop onto the battlefield, and they can be used to reduce the super meter of opponents. AP orbs can be granted by certain moves, such as Parappa's Boxy Boy boombox ability.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-playstation-all-stars/729632?

Combos
Special emphasis on combos....
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-playstation-all-stars/729632?

Interactive Stages
One stage, Dreamscape, looks like it came straight out of LittleBigPlanet, complete with stage creation pop-up menus in the background, randomly selecting platform pieces for you and your opponents to overcome. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the screens in the back of the stage become a backdrop for a Buzz! quiz show, with Buzz coming out to ask random trivia questions. In one fight we were asked, "Which Sony handheld was released in 2011." The text from the four multiple choice answers fly over each fighter, and it seems you're supposed to attack the correct answer. It's strange, but it works, and makes for some really wacky fights.

The other three stages we saw were just as fun. The Hades stage starts out looking just like God of War, but the background transitions to feature scenes and characters from Patapon, cute cheering and song included.

Another stage called Metropolis is straight out of Ratchet and Clank at first, with its moving platforms and conveyer belts, but then rain starts to pour, and a huge hydra pops up from the back to attack fighters.

My favorite stage mixes a Jak and Daxter village with Hot Shots Golf. From nowhere, with no notice, Hot Shots characters begin using the play field as a driving range, with ultra-hot golf balls raining down on you and your opponents like missiles.

Dreamscape feels different than the other stages, as it's set in the level editor of LittleBigPlanet. You see Pop-It bubbles and creation elements spring up throughout the fight, which creates different platforms to battle on. Keeping with the hybrid stage theme, it eventually turns into an impromptu game of Buzz! Quiz. A Playstation-related question appears on the screen, and the fighters have to stand on the platform that corresponds with the correct answer to avoid taking damage.

Character Glow
Visual indicator for Supers being ready

Super Attacks
Each character 3 different super attack levels, each progressively takes longer to gain but becomes stronger, for example Level 1 is good for a single opponent, Level 3 for multiple opponents

Third Party Characters
3rd party characters are confirmed and should be revealed in the coming months or in E3

Media Impressions
Destructoid
After several matches I came away pretty excited about All-Stars. Smash rip-off? Who cares! It's so fun that I'm not even drawing the connection anymore. It's so easy to get in and get wrapped up that I found that a string of fights takes place before you know it. Even with only six characters and four stages I'm sure I could have played all night if permitted. The characters are are an obvious draw, and with their fantastic control you want to keep playing them. The mashed-up stages are also a riot, and are all eye candy to boot. If they get the balance down pat and add the right characters, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will be a smashing success. I'm sure they can pull it off, as the foundation has already been laid for a great fighting game.
Gameinformer
There's no denying where the inspiration for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale comes from, but I had fun during my time with it. Sony's characters may not fit the colorful, family-friendly mold of Nintendo's creations, but their differences make for some entertaining and varied attacks and play styles. While plenty of roster reveals are inevitable before Battle Royale is released, I can't help but wonder if it'll compare to the variety in Nintendo's fighter. That said, we wouldn't be surprised to see big names like Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Jak, and Ratchet join the fray (Crash Bandicoot is likely excluded thanks to the fact that he isn't Sony-exclusive anymore). It's far from a novel idea, but All-Stars Battle Royale made for a fast-paced and fun four-player experience in my time with it.
IGN
After playing the game, speaking to the president of the studio and then playing the game some more, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is no longer a game I'm profoundly skeptical of, but one of my most-anticipated upcoming projects. There's no reason to be coy about its inspiration -- Super Smash Bros. undeniably paved the way for it -- but no reason exists to dismiss it as a clone, either. After all, it's not very often that a clone gives its inspiration a serious run for its money. And from what I've seen and played of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, it seems ready to do just that.

KevinCow

Banned
So, my first thought was that the KO system was weird and broken... but I'm kinda starting to see where they're coming from. It's basically the opposite of Smash, or any fighting game, really. Instead of dealing damage to make your opponent weaker, you deal damage to make yourself stronger. Instead of weakening their defenses to your killing blow, you're building up your ability to do that killing blow.

It's basically like if Mortal Kombat implemented fatalities into the core fighting system. You get your opponent down to two-thirds health, you can try to do a fatality that's harder to hit. Or you can deplete his health a bit more to one-third health, and get a fatality that's easier to hit. Or you can deplete it all the way and basically be guaranteed to get the kill.

It also seems like an interesting way to combat that age old Smash free-for-all tradition of running away and letting the other guys duke it out, then jumping in at the last minute to take the kills. If you're not in there, racking up hits, you don't have the ability to get a kill. And if Player 1 and Player 2 build up their meters to level 3, Player 3 is every bit as vulnerable to those level 3 attacks as the players who have actually been giving and taking the damage.

Incredible (but predictable) backlash to this game. I guess I can kinda understand why people would be outraged -- it does look similar. Personally that excites me. I like Smash Bros and I love Sony characters. Reading the hands-on impressions it sounds like this game plays pretty damn well too.

I'm sure the developer is reading threads like this and scouting for feedback, so I'd definitely note the art-style as the biggest concern. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the way it looks -- I love the idea of the backgrounds -- but I agree that it all looks a bit too soft. I'm not an artist, but I wonder if giving everything some more pronounced shading and turning up the colours a bit would change things? I'm sure this is something that could be fixed before release.

Things I do like is that they appear to be going all the way. The inclusion of Buzz! quizzes and random nonsense like that is exactly what I want from this kind of game. I can't wait to see what else makes the cut.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the announcement.

SykoTech

I hope the single player has some variety in it or something. Subspace was great to me at first, but it quickly became repetitive. Then I reached The Great Maze....yikes.

So, my first thought was that the KO system was weird and broken... but I'm kinda starting to see where they're coming from. It's basically the opposite of Smash, or any fighting game, really. Instead of dealing damage to make your opponent weaker, you deal damage to make yourself stronger. Instead of weakening their defenses to your killing blow, you're building up your ability to do that killing blow.

It's basically like if Mortal Kombat implemented fatalities into the core fighting system. You get your opponent down to two-thirds health, you can try to do a fatality that's harder to hit. Or you can deplete his health a bit more to one-third health, and get a fatality that's easier to hit. Or you can deplete it all the way and basically be guaranteed to get the kill.

It also seems like an interesting way to combat that age old Smash free-for-all tradition of running away and letting the other guys duke it out, then jumping in at the last minute to take the kills. If you're not in there, racking up hits, you don't have the ability to get a kill. And if Player 1 and Player 2 build up their meters to level 3, Player 3 is every bit as vulnerable to those level 3 attacks as the players who have actually been giving and taking the damage.

Agreed, I like the combat system so far, it pushes the player to engage in the fight rather than focus primarily on staying alive and avoiding confrontation. People comparing it to Final Smash aren't quite correct because Final Smashes sucked because they'd appear randomly and then the game just became about being the first one to grab it. In this you actually have to fight and be active to get access to your killing moves.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

I was thinking the same thing when I read the previews, thats the one thing I want Smash Wii U to address somehow.

Yeah its also makes a lot of sense with the 3 tier super system. It gives you a lot of choices. If another player is making great headway on his way to a LVL 3 attack you can use a LVL1 to seriously slow him down or take him out or you can risk getting to a LVL 3 before him. Sounds like some random great matches to me.

The Lamp

I don't think most people are "complaining" rather than just pointing out how blatant a rip-off it is. It's on par with Zynga's Tiny Tower ripoff game. That they did nothing to differentiate themselves is fairly surprising.

I think the fact that the graphics are relatively poor (the biggest issue for me is the outline.. it just makes the characters standout so much from their surroundings which is most definitely not a good thing) isn't doing it any favors either.

I mean, there are significant differences.

Competitive strategy will be completely different because it's not about edge tactics and throwing people off stage...it's about pummeling and super moves. Believe it or not, that'll lead to a completely different playstyle.

The stages are also pretty different in structure from you-know-what-game because they mix different worlds together instead of there "just being a God of War stage" or what have you. The stages also seem far more interactive (though I hope they have some plain ones for regular brawling).

Ran rp

Gametrailers:

Hit Points
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hit-points-playstation-all-stars/729627

"When you hit level 2 things get a bit more powerful but the level 3 supers seem to be on a whole different level."

You don't say!

Gametrailers:

Hit Points
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hit-points-playstation-all-stars/729627

"At first glance PlayStation All-Stars looks-a-like-a clone of Super Smash Brothers..."

Hahahah, I'm done. The game looks promising but I do wish it played more like Smash Bros. I'm not really feeling the fact that you can only kill players with supers. Give us more info, SuperBot!

EDIT: I'M A MEMBER NOW!

darkwing

Yeah its also makes a lot of sense with the 3 tier super system. It gives you a lot of choices. If another player is making great headway on his way to a LVL 3 attack you can use a LVL1 to seriously slow him down or take him out or you can risk getting to a LVL 3 before him. Sounds like some random great matches to me.

yup, and knocking him out will deduct a KO point from him

Shiine

Badly put together composite.

iJTZRGnXHLBic.png

I have no idea who this is. Looks short.

Princess_Zelda_(Oracle_of_Ages_and_Oracle_of_Seasons).png

;D

BadWolf

Hope they incorporate the environment into the gameplay, like if you fall of or get hit (like by Hades) then you either die or lose a power bar or something.

darkwing

Hope they incorporate the environment into the gameplay, like if you fall of or get hit (like by Hades) then you either die or lose a power bar or something.

Interactive Stages
One stage, Dreamscape, looks like it came straight out of LittleBigPlanet, complete with stage creation pop-up menus in the background, randomly selecting platform pieces for you and your opponents to overcome. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the screens in the back of the stage become a backdrop for a Buzz! quiz show, with Buzz coming out to ask random trivia questions. In one fight we were asked, "Which Sony handheld was released in 2011." The text from the four multiple choice answers fly over each fighter, and it seems you're supposed to attack the correct answer. It's strange, but it works, and makes for some really wacky fights.

The other three stages we saw were just as fun. The Hades stage starts out looking just like God of War, but the background transitions to feature scenes and characters from Patapon, cute cheering and song included.

Another stage called Metropolis is straight out of Ratchet and Clank at first, with its moving platforms and conveyer belts, but then rain starts to pour, and a huge hydra pops up from the back to attack fighters.

My favorite stage mixes a Jak and Daxter village with Hot Shots Golf. From nowhere, with no notice, Hot Shots characters begin using the play field as a driving range, with ultra-hot golf balls raining down on you and your opponents like missiles.

Dreamscape feels different than the other stages, as it's set in the level editor of LittleBigPlanet. You see Pop-It bubbles and creation elements spring up throughout the fight, which creates different platforms to battle on. Keeping with the hybrid stage theme, it eventually turns into an impromptu game of Buzz! Quiz. A Playstation-related question appears on the screen, and the fighters have to stand on the platform that corresponds with the correct answer to avoid taking damage.

I laugh when people say PS doesn't have any iconic characters. The list is endless, Thanks to their amazing 3rd party support they've had over the years.

Old Snake, Big Boss, Batman, and Ezio are few i would like to see.

zoukka

I laugh when people say PS doesn't have any iconic characters. The list is endless, Thanks to their amazing 3rd party support they've had over the years.

Old Snake, Big Boss, Batman, and Ezio are few i would like to see.

I think people are referring to 1st party characters, where they are quite correct.

I think Ratchet & Clank are the closest Sony has to iconic characters. I heard my friends kid talk about them a while back too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom