• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With every leak it keeps getting better and better.

I thought this was Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, not Playstation Hack 'n' Slash All-Stars!

Seriously though, given the choice I'd be much happier if the only third-party additions were Crash and Cloud, as opposed to a cast consisting of Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya, Big Daddy, Lightning, Dante, Raiden and Ryu Hayabusa, assuming all of those actually make it in of course. I'm praying that's not the case.

Dusky

I thought this was Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, not Playstation Hack 'n' Slash All-Stars!

Seriously though, given the choice I'd be much happier if the only third-party additions were Crash and Cloud, as opposed to a cast consisting of Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya, Big Daddy, Lightning, Dante, Raiden and Ryu Hayabusa, assuming all of those actually make it in of course. I'm praying that's not the case.

Sadly, I would have to agree. You never know though Crash and Cloud could still be in. Although I can only see Cloud being DLC at this point.

nope I'm certain it's lil sister. I say this because in addition to the appearance, she appears at with Big Daddy in the game.

Indeed. She also appears to be holding something, which resembles her harvesting tool.

jondabomb

I've been hoping the whole time that superbot wouldn't let their love of fighting games affect the roster too much. I like heihachi, and to some extent toro, as the sole fighting game representative but I don't see what the appeal is of having more than one is in a game like this where there are so many different fighting styles

kvothe

Oh.. is it? The dress looks like the one Elizabeth is using.

-Bioshock-Infinite-Trailer-Elizabeth-My-Dear-_.jpg

little-sister.jpg

Elizabeth's dress and the outfit Little Sisters wear is similar.

little-sister.jpg

Elizabeth's dress and the outfit Little Sisters wear is similar.

Yeah but it's clearly V shaped near the bottom, like the PSABR pic, not to mention she's way too big for a little sister. She's not next to big daddy, she's behind him, but in front of Kazuya.

It also makes sense to use the most recent game, specially considering that Ken Levine seems to be in bed with Sony this time around.

Shahed

What's funny is that a couple of weeks ago we were saying that there weren't enough close combat/sword users. Now there's too many!

I agree with the few but important 3rd party characters as well

Loudninja

You got to be kidding me.

BadWolf

I'll take those over Crash and Cloud any day.

Sid

Then there would be the problem of not having widely appealing/marketable characters

What's funny is that a couple of weeks ago we were saying that there weren't enough close combat/sword users. Now there's too many!

I agree with the few but important 3rd party characters as well

Quality over quantity. Rubbish third-party characters can easily be replaced by any number of first-party characters from Sony's back catalogue, no matter how obscure (as long as the love is there within cult fanbases).

Then there would be the problem of not having widely appealing/marketable characters

Crash, Cloud, Drake, Kratos, Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy on the front cover - BAM! Sales. Plus, game's reputation of celebrating Playstation legacy remains intact.

Sid

Crash, Cloud, Drake, Kratos, Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy on the front cover - BAM! Sales. Plus, game's reputation of celebrating Playstation legacy remains intact.

What if people aren't familiar or don't like any of them? or if ps3 is their first ps they are bound to be more familiar with the 3rd party characters,there can be a milion characters this way but sony needs to pick most of them which are the most recognizable from both first party and third party perspectives for this game to sell well

Gorillaz

You do realize the choice in crash/cloud is up to activision and Square? I Feel alot of people don't realize Sony has to get THEIR permission to use the characters

Its a mish mash and cocktail of everything already. Personally I wouldve preferred a 3D game like Powerstone with only PlayStation characters and 3rd party characters from the most well known games like FF7, Crash, Snake, old Dante etc.

Urvan

Banned

You're such an loyal fan to Sony, what will they do without you. legacy of Play Station...LOL

Heihachi + Kazuya + Jin = 3

Well w/e, I lumped Ryu in with them because they're all definitely not what I think of when I think of Playstation - a lot of us seem to share the same sentiments. Ninja Gaiden was exclusive to Xbox for how long? On top of that, while Itagaki was at the helm he pretty much did his best to trash the PS3 whenever he could, saying he'd never put the game on PS3.

It's just another shameless cash in as far as I'm concerned. I really, really hope these leaks are just minions or something, if they're legitimate parts of the main roster I'll be highly disappointed in both Superbot and the game as a whole.

So many Playstation centric characters that deserve a spot while we get like 4 dudes that no one ever asked for. I'm pretty sure we've almost been unanimous in our votes for characters, then they go and say HERR DURR, WE'RE GONNA PUT IN MORE FIGHTING GAME CHARACTERS THAT MAKE NO SENSE TO PLAYSTATION ;)

pantsmith

It just makes no sense, absolutely NO sense, to have three characters from Tekken who all look and play similarly as separate entries in the roster.

Support characters? Sure.
Alt costumes? Okay.
Separate characters?

I can't even think of one good reason to do that. They'd all be brawlers like Heihachi too, unless Jin goes Devil Jin, which starts to get even more bizarre. It starts to take away from the focus of the game because it implies that Tekken is vital to the Playstation brand... which its not.

And I'm totally on board for two Coles, too! inFamous is all about the duality of Cole and his two fighting styles- having both represented does the character and his "style" justice. Why would Heihachi want to share the roster with his sons? He wouldn't...

The obvious Namco-Bandai character that could replace either of Heihachi's sons is the Prince (of All Cosmos) or his dad, The King. It would make loads of sense to do that given Katamari's primarily Playstation focus, but at this rate I wouldn't be suprised if he just winds up in the next Smash Bros (and hes never even been on a Nintendo platform before). King? Nina? Eddy Gordo? Paul Pheonix? At least spice things up if you're going to pick THREE characters from the same series.

Tekken is PlayStation. The franchise was/is big on arcades but achieved the status it has today when the first game and its sequels arrived exclusively on PS1. Still jumping to conclusions though, we don't know if they're just cameo appearances, minions that can appear in place of Kuma, or just a fuck-up.

My guess is that this game will have more "clones" than we realized and they will be playable with one or two of their own unique moves from Tekken, but still fight in the similar Mishima style that Heihachi has. I'd be totally cool with that...but let's wait and see until we have official info rather than this speculation from a leak.

Dusky

What if people aren't familiar or don't like any of them? or if ps3 is their first ps they are bound to be more familiar with the 3rd party characters,there can be a milion characters this way but sony needs to pick most of them which are the most recognizable from both first party and third party perspectives for this game to sell well

And yet they include someone like Dino, who is loved and recognized worldwide right?

k_Reign

Sure are a lot of assumptions going on here...everybody crying foul at 3 Tekken characters needs to wait and see what the deal with them is. The banner that was at the bottom was pretty awful anyway, so maybe there's something going on with it.

I'm sure Superbot is trying to add as much Playstation as possible in more ways than just playable characters.

Ryce

Well w/e, I lumped Ryu in with them because they're all definitely not what I think of when I think of Playstation - a lot of us seem to share the same sentiments.
You said there were four Tekken characters on two separate occasions. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I'm really not following you.

SmithnCo

Sure are a lot of assumptions going on here...everybody crying foul at 3 Tekken characters needs to wait and see what the deal with them is. The banner that was at the bottom was pretty awful anyway, so maybe there's something going on with it.

Pretty much. No use getting worked up over a banner that someone put together in ten minutes probably. They could easily be cameos in the story mode or something.

And assuming this is supposed to go live after gamescom, I really doubt they would show like 6 new characters.

Sid

And yet they include someone like Dino, who is loved and recognized worldwide right?

Lol obviously subject to availability,dino infuses hate among the masses but if there is an alt dante skin then the issue would be reduced to nothing quite early

Shahed

We need Gamescom fast if only to settle some things. Still I like that while we're all interested in the game, we have pretty varied opinions on what we all want

Shahed

Yeah, but I still think the biggest controversy has yet to come, that will definitely cause some shitstorms. You know, DLC. :/

I'm dreading DLC announcements. I'm one of the people who generally avoids getting DLC unless it's something big and worthwhile.

I'd hate to have DLC per character. I'd only be happy with a big expansion pack option that comes a while later

KiNeSiS

Banned

Crash & Spyro would kind of suck in a fighting game in my opinion. They have no real moves that would work to be viable characters. Crash attacks like the Tasmanian devil & Spyro would fly around shoot fire balls & ram people. On second thought Spyro would be awesome, Crash would be as well just for nostalgia. I can see spyro playing very uniquely.

I played as Big Daddy he is a fun powerhouse. I thought there were minions in this game?
These are probably what the additional characters are for. They are so far in the background on that picture.
I would love Jin, & Kazuya, Raiden & Ryu over Crash & Spyro anyday!

If someone sees the game on a shelf and doesn't find the prospect of a Playstation brawler featuring Crash, Cloud, Drake, Kratos, Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy appealing, then dare I say the game was never aimed at him/her in the first place.

The most recognizble. Like Raiden, New Dante and Ryu Hasabuya? C'mon.

You do realize the choice in crash/cloud is up to activision and Square? I Feel alot of people don't realize Sony has to get THEIR permission to use the characters

I'm well aware that Sony doesn't get the final say when dealing with other publishers. I just think, essentially, if they have to pony up a lot of cash to get Cloud and Crash in the game, then it's worth the investment far more than whatever it cost to get the currently rumoured third-party cast in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom