• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffyside

Banned
Wow, thanks for all the lists, dudes. I did try to search back through for them after it being pointed out that it's already been done, but it's nice to have them all in one place. I also think now that more information has come out that third parties have been happy to cooperate, we can take a few more reasonable guesses.

One of the reasons I was asking was because I haven't been a Playstation fan all this time, so I don't have as big a catalogue in my head to pull from. But, let's see what I can do:

... and by that I mean "let me copy Napalm_Frank's list, and then delete "Chimera" and replace it with "Sephiroth", and then delete "Assassin's Creed Guy" and replace it with "Lara Croft," and finally delete "Rayman" and replace it with "Guy from GTA III."

1.Kratos
2.Fat Princess
3.Sly
4.Radec
5.Parappa
6.Sweet Tooth
7.Drake
8.Cole
9.Snake
10.Jak&Daxter
11.Ratchet&Clank
12.Crash Bandicoot
13.Spyro
14.Cloud Strife
15.Sir Daniel
16.Sackboy
17.Lara Croft
18.Tekken Guy. Maybe Heihachi or Paul?
19.Lara Croft
20.Sephiroth
21.Dante
22.Guy from GTA III
23.Nariko
24.Kat

I'd be incredibly happy with this list, but I think that people like Radec and Fat Princess made the original cut of who to show says that Sony isn't thinking as big as we are. We're probably going to see more obscure characters than this. Also, let's not forget cross-marketing, meaning the dude from Starhawk will probably be in there, which wouldn't be so bad, actually. Seeing these lists does make me realize how much potential there actually is in this Smash-like game; why are we just pulling one character from each series? Why is Jak and Daxter ONE character? Or Ratchet and Clank, for that matter? I would love to see both of them, and Quark and Nefarious all playable.

It will also be interesting to see if Lara Croft makes the cut. She absolutely should, as she meant so much to Playstation over the years, but with a new game coming out and with the first of it shown on a Microsoft stage, who knows. I also think Dante is probably hoping too much, but again, cross-promotions!

If they don't get Cloud AND Sephiroth though, they have made a huge mistake. And finally, on a sad note, I bet GTA III guy is in there, and this is the measly morsel Rockstar finally gives Sony after ditching them on the GTA franchise as a whole, and then boning them on AGENT.

I hate to beat the dead horse but after listening to Podcast BEYOND, the guys at IGN Playstation were saying that the super meter is absolutely in place and not going to change. Greg went on to compare it to old school wrestling games where you were just wailing on each other until you can use your big special move. I really agree with this.

Omar Kendall previously worked on the UFC games.. I've never played those particular wrestling games but... I'm still just thinking they adopted a new KO system just to differentiate it from SSB.

Greg went on to say "If you copy it 95%, why not go the extra 5%?" I agree with this too.

I'm not saying I want it to be an exact clone of SSB - no. I like the differences with gameplay, like how there are actual combos and movesets versus SSB's movesets that are pretty basic - each character has at least two dozen moves from what Superbot was saying? Not only that but so far each character is VERY different from one another, I really, really don't want clones.

I want it to be a unique experience but to also have a KO system that makes sense and makes your fighting feel meaningful. Making the only action possible to KO people be the various supers just seems to make normal combat useless. Everything gets shoehorned into those supers. Even though those wrestling games focused on getting those super moves, you could still win through other means. That's my main gripe.

Number45

I understand they are trying to make money and everything, but really with the Vita struggling in sales they should be packing a download voucher for the Vita version with the PS3 version all for $60. At least for the first run that hits store shelves.

Wishful thinking...
That's a pre-order/CE bonus I could get behind - and it might sell a few Vitas as well.

Kurtofan

I can't really think of many that made the Playstation successful as opposed to just those that happened to be on Playstation.

Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Crash, Spyro and... yeah.
I'd rather have Tomba, Spike and Kat than go into obscure 3rd party lineup like Lara Croft or something silly like Tony Hawk.

Then again this is an All-Stars game not a game that's supposed to pay "respect" to franchises that happened to be on the system so who knows.

Those third party characters are much less obscure than most Sony franchises.

Vidiot

1.Kratos
2.Fat Princess
3.Sly
4.Radec
5.Parappa
6.Sweet Tooth
7.Drake
8.Cole
9.Snake
10.Jak&Daxter
11.Ratchet&Clank
12.Crash Bandicoot
13.Spyro
14.Cloud Strife
15.Sir Daniel
16.Sackboy
17.Lara Croft
18.Tekken Guy. Maybe Heihachi or Paul?
19.Lara Croft
20.Sephiroth
21.Dante
22.Guy from GTA III
23.Nariko
24.Kat
AGENT.

Do you just really want her, was it a mistake, or is it classic Lara from the PS1 days and you needed a slot for each boob?

Duffyside

Banned
Do you just really want her, was it a mistake, or is it classic Lara from the PS1 days and you needed a slot for each boob?

Let me answer your question with this new list.

1.Lara Croft
2.Lara Croft
3.Lara Croft
4.Lara Croft
5.Lara Croft
6.Lara Croft
7.Lara Croft
8.Laura Croft
9.Larry Croft
10.Lara Croftenberg

With Snake, Drake, Cole being unofficially announced, and Jak, Ratchet being obvious I hope we actually get some surprising announcements from E3 and not just these guys

All this does leave more than 10 characters to be announced

Miutsu

I hope there's an option to turn hazards off in stages (hades, buzz, hot shots people) for whoever wants to play it like that.

With Snake,Drake, Cole being unofficially announced, and Jak, Ratchet being obvious I hope we actually get some surprising announcements from E3 and not just these guys

All this does leave more than 10 characters to be announced

I agree, I hope the new characters being unveiled is separate from those new game experiences they teased. I'm super excited to see what they have planned though. It's so close!!

I want to see Megaman X or Zero, that would be pretty cool. Zero would be pretty broken for this game though if he played exactly like MMX4.

Nakiro

Those third party characters are much less obscure than most Sony franchises.
I guess I should clear that up a bit.
It's kinda hard to word it, but when I say Lara Croft or Tony Hawk that doesn't really make me think of Playstation in particular.

As far as popularity goes, yeah they are heads and shoulders above Tomba for example.
Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are probably two of the more popular franchises this generation but I don't associate them with Playstation brand since they were multiplatform.

cednym

Banned
It's kinda hard to word it, but when I say Lara Croft or Tony Hawk that doesn't really make me think of Playstation in particular.

As far as popularity goes, yeah they are heads and shoulders above Tomba for example.
Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are probably two of the more popular franchises this generation but I don't associate them with Playstation brand since they were multiplatform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games

The Tomb Raider games did pretty well for the PlayStation brand. Most people I know associate those games with the original PlayStation.

Endo Punk

I have to agree. Tony Hawk and Lara are more gaming icons than PlayStation. This game has to be more about characters that are sysnonymous with PlayStation like Solid Snake, Kazuma for 3rd party.

The thing you guys have to realize is that even though we grew up with Lara and Tony on the Playstation, a lot of people may not have played them until later iterations, possibly on other platforms.

After the PS1 era the Hawk games started to kind of go everywhere and easily lose quality as well. Even though it's hilarious to think of him as a playable character, I can't see it happening. What could his moveset be like?

I could definitely see Lara be in as a third party character, the more females they can use to balance out the gender ratio the better.

Also, the more stylized and unique characters/playstyles the better, as I said before. I've never even played the game but judging from gameplay and style alone, I'd love to see this guy make the cut:

4023Mark_of_Kri_Mag_Cover_copy_1014070_Jpg100--article_image.jpg

Also, I never realized Mr. Mosquito was a Sony owned IP. I actually LOL'ed when I found that out. I still own that game, purely for the weird factor. I also just realized Wild Arms is a Sony owned IP.. Rudy has always had my vote though. We need a more unique gun user, and we definitely need someone to represent the RPGs.

Alright last edit I promise: Sir Dan from MediEVIL should definitely have a shot for this roster. He's so goofy and awesome.

Was this posted?

guys
ak8SR.png

Snake, Cole McGrath, and Nate are in.

At least, if this screenshot isn't fake.

BOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING! Those are all shoe-in characters that we knew would appear in the game from day one. I'm excited about which of the more obscure figures of Playstation yore will be picked for the roster. I hope E3 delivers on that front.

BOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING! Those are all shoe-in characters that we knew would appear in the game from day one. I'm excited about which of the more obscure figures of Playstation yore will be picked for the roster. I hope E3 delivers on that front.

/agree. I want to see what other characters will make the cut. The thing I'm worried about is if these are some of the ones they'll reveal at E3? I really hope not.. I want some surprise characters to make us go "what?!"

The Lamp

I'm pretty sure E3 will only announce characters we knew would happen, like Cole or Nathan. I doubt they'd spoil another obscure character so soon, but maybe I'm wrong.

Tomba would make my dreams come true.

SmithnCo

Well, there was some question about Snake but it's nice to get confirmation, though he was one of the obvious third-party chars.

I wouldn't say any third party character is a "shoe in" or to be expected. Companies are very protective of their IP and unless under special circumstances (like Snake in Brawl) they probably want

A. Massive advertising / Series exposure with the company name all over it

B. Some tie in exclusive deal

C. A shit ton of money

If they want their characters in at all. People saying characters like Dante or a Tekken character should be in, I think have even less of a chance because Capcom or Namco don't want to lose interest or a potential sale of one of THEIR games like Marvel or Tekken Tag or even something like that cross over 3DS game.

Bowdz

I understand they are trying to make money and everything, but really with the Vita struggling in sales they should be packing a download voucher for the Vita version with the PS3 version all for $60. At least for the first run that hits store shelves.

Wishful thinking...

I've never understood why crossover titles like MGSHD, ZOEHD, FFX, and possibly this aren't released with a combo price. Have the normal PS3 and Vita releases separate and than have a version that comes with both version for a slightly higher price (maybe $80 or so). It seems like a good way to maximize brand loyalty with both consoles and promote the Vita a bit more (at the expense of trying to dish out repeat sales).

Anyways, the new videos look great and the color saturation is definitely better than before. I can't wait to see more at E3.

i wish the roster would atleast have both western and japan franchise almost equally not just 5:1 ratio like the current revealed roster. while it may be hard to realize since this is made by their western studio and probably made for appealing to western fans and probably newer playstation fans

somehow it just feel something is wrong for me. If when a digital only game (fat princess) released this gen, could get the chance but not long running franchise with 6 title like wild arms or some newer ip like patapon that already have 3 title.

I hope E3 roster reveal would be a surprise
if not maybe SCEJ could also makin their own allstar game "Super PS allstar Bishoujo Royale":p

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Also, the more stylized and unique characters/playstyles the better, as I said before. I've never even played the game but judging from gameplay and style alone, I'd love to see this guy make the cut:

4023Mark_of_Kri_Mag_Cover_copy_1014070_Jpg100--article_image.jpg

Rau was Kratos before there was Kratos. The Mark of Kri was an excellent game, with a unique combat system that flowed surprisingly well. I loved it. I'd love an HD remaster, but I know it's not going to happen. I imagine they'll just put it up on PSN as a PS2 Classic at some point, sadly.

My picks for 3rd party characters would be:

1) Lara Croft - She was rather synonymous with PlayStation, and people still associate her with the brand, despite being on multiple platforms.

2) Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine - Resident Evil was another tentpole PlayStation series that legitimized Sony's foray into gaming.

3) Solid Snake - Metal Gear Solid. Still synonymous with PlayStation, and probably always will be, despite series originating on other platforms, and releasing on other platforms over it's run.

4) Cloud Strife or Sephiroth - Final Fantasy VII practically defined PlayStation. It certainly put PlayStation on everybody's radars when it was revealed to be a PS1 exclusive. You could argue that FFVII and the PlayStation 1 is what catapulted the Final Fantasy series into super stardom (the earlier FF's were certainly popular, but FFVII had people that had never TOUCHED an RPG buying it on day one).

5) Crash Bandicoot - Unofficial mascot and oddly iconic character. Naughty Dog's "answer" to the Mario phenomenon, despite both series being completely different. If you didn't have an N64, you certainly weren't hurting for a rock solid, fun platformer. Same deal with my next choice:

6) Spyro the Dragon - Like Crash, Spyro was a quality platforming/adventure game that broadened the library of PlayStation and struck a chord with gamers.

Those would be my top 6. There are plenty others, but I think those 6 third party series are intrinsically linked to PlayStation, and represent the major players who helped catapult PlayStation the top. Without the support of Squaresoft, Capcom, and Konami, I doubt PlayStation would have blown up like it did.

Raonak

Banned
Hmm... was listening to this weeks Blogcast.

They should really add Abe from Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee!
url

Debuted on the PSone. and has been one of the most requested PS1 games.
He'd make a pretty good character, and licencing shouldn't be a problem since JustAddWater is reviving oddworld and it'd probably be free publicity.

he could be a character that doesn't actually have any melee attacks. rather spawns oddworld creatures and possesses them to attack enemeis.

Lv3 super would be him transforming into the shrykull and just fucking everything up

ascii42

what are the chances that Abe from Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee might be in this game?
He'd make a pretty good character, and licencing shouldn't be a problem since JustAddWater is reviving oddworld and it'd probably be free publicity.

he could be a character that doesn't actually have any melee attacks. rather spawns oddworld creatures and possesses them to attack enemeis.

Lv3 super would be him transforming into the shrykull and just fucking everything up

"Here boy"
"Get 'em"

They should really add Abe from Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee!
url

He would be great, almost no chance of it happening though

Then again we are seeing the Oddworld games being re-released alot. So I suppose if Superbot want him in, they can reach out to whoever has the rights to the games now

Raonak

Banned
At the very least, a stage. Since the game is a 2D platformer already. would be such a perfect fit.

Stewart Gilray! I know you're on GAF, go tell superbot to add him, ASAP!

If someone is using a level 3 super and you only have a level 3 super to use
Does that mean you cant kill anyone until there stupid thing is over?

Can level 1 and 2's even be used during someone else level 3? You just have to stand there like a tit and wait?

Drencrom

Can level 1 and 2's even be used during someone else level 3? You just have to stand there like a tit and wait?

I've been wondering this too.
If you are permitted to use supers meanwhile someone else lvl 3, is it possible to kill that player or are you invincible while using a lvl 3 super?

Endo Punk

What the hell is this Tomba? Never heard of it before. And as for 3rd party I agree with Abe, also maybe Raziel from Legace of Kain and Klonoa.

BTW I know it's is asking for much but wouldn't it be awesome if the game did have a 3D Battle mode. I always sort of envisioned Sony's SSB type game to be in 3D because they were the ones to push 3D graphics big time on consoles with the original PlayStation. And being more of a fan of 3D fighting games it would be a treat to have a 3D Battle mode. Crazy I know but still...

Duffyside

Banned

I love this post. It's like you're trying to find things to get angry about.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Why?

There are enough 3rd-Party-Franchises which made Playstation successful and have to be a part of this game.

I would be bothered by it. Its suppose to mainly represent characters from sony franchises. The third party characters rooster should be sparse.

I love this post. It's like you're trying to find things to get angry about.

If its true it's another knock to the obviously bad "super only" kills system
Also notice how the music isn't remixed or changed at all? Just pulled from the game and slapped in

I want this game to be good with all my heart, but the people working on it and what's been shown, it just seems poopy and I'm sad.

I would be bothered by it. Its suppose to mainly represent characters from sony franchises. The third party characters rooster should be sparse.

It's supposed to be about celebrating the history of Playstation. If that's really their goal, then there's no way that they can ignore the enormous role the third party titles have had on the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom