• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've been playing as Jak and Daxter for a bit. I'm loving how they play but their AP gain is horribad. Level 2 supers seems to be the only way to get kills but experienced players are able to get out of it's admittedly large range fairly often. Trying to save up for level 3 feels almost impossible.

Throw and bait a roll into level 1, they are kinda iffy in ffa though but that goes for 1/3rd of the cast

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Kat and Emmett look GREAT!

As a fan of both Gravity Rush and Starhawk, this first batch of DLC hits it out of the park for me.

It's funny they announce a Heavenly Sword stage, because I decided earlier today that I'd start getting cozy with Nariko. Considering how much I love Heavenly Sword, I was surprised I didn't flock to her right away. I had a great time with her tonight, though. She builds AP kind of slow, in a way, but I'm really feeling her moveset, and learning combos to help speed up said AP gain. She's really adept at interrupting supers such as Raiden and Kratos' Level 1. I actually threw Kratos while he was attempting to use his Level 1 on me. I usually can't pull that off with other characters.

I know I promised to work on Ratchet and Good Cole, and Ratchet is kind of in the bag for me at the moment, but Nariko is a lot of fun. I'll get to Good Cole and do my write up, I promise! I'll probably have my Ratchet write up this weekend.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Dat Kat Portrait.. (X.x) Really, she has so many solid portraits in GR, if things start going south, just polygon-trace one of those! Please?

That said, her in-game model looks perfectly nice, and the toonshade-ish look on the gravity well is cool, too. Is her level 1 the "End it!" QTE Orb-rip-out that's used to end boss battles, in that picture? I could be happy with a Fat Princess-like Lvl 1.

Can't wait to see more of her, but good work so far, Superbot.

---

Emmett looks interesting so far. His model also looks well done.
Yay, a black dude in game, wohoooo
Shotgun Mine + Rocket Grenade are the names of his pics... guess I haven't played enough of Starhawk for any of that to mean much to me, yet, but I at least guess he's hailing droppods from a sattelite, so that's cool...

---

New Stage sounds like a nice mix. Wipeout Respect! And interesting they'd go for HS now. Maybe this stage was fell right off the edge, onto the cutting room floor, because it seems like something that would have been great for the final release.

Good pack of content so far, looking forward to learning more!

SmithnCo

Just dont let him get it. Seriously he should almost never get it if you are on the ball.

You could say that about any character really, but Sackboy has the best level 3 and gains AP like a madman, especially in FFA where him getting a 3 may be out of your control.

Vodh

Pumped to see Kat's screenshots. The portrait is hideous tho, hope someone with these complaints reaches the devs...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
You know I don't get this.
I know grabbing and some items can drain ap but it never seems enough to drain significantly. Especially in FFA.

Although, technically, in FFA, everybody is gaining AP at an accelerated rate because everyone is attacking everyone. Part of the fun of FFA is that "Oh shit!" moment when people are getting Supers left and right, and everyone is laughing and yelling and trying (and failing) to avoid all the Supers flying.

2v2 and 1v1 are a lot more controlled, where characters can be played to their tactical strengths (and weaknesses).

It's part of the reason why I tend to avoid the OP discussion here. I do feel that certain characters need a few tweaks here and there, but full blown nerfing? I'm not so sure. It did seem like Sackboy's AP gain was pretty fast, however, even when using maximum defensive strategy. Kratos' AP gain is also pretty high, but honestly, he can be dealt with easier than Sackboy in my opinion.

I agree with you that grabs sometimes don't seem to drain enough AP, but usually you just keep on a character. I was playing against AI today as Nariko, and was throwing Kratos left and right, and his AP was draining pretty consistently. One throw just isn't enough. You have to really keep that type of assault going to really make a dent in their AP loss.

Jawmuncher

Although, technically, in FFA, everybody is gaining AP at an accelerated rate because everyone is attacking everyone. Part of the fun of FFA is that "Oh shit!" moment when people are getting Supers left and right, and everyone is laughing and yelling and trying (and failing) to avoid all the Supers flying.

2v2 and 1v1 are a lot more controlled, where characters can be played to their tactical strengths (and weaknesses).

It's part of the reason why I tend to avoid the OP discussion here. I do feel that certain characters need a few tweaks here and there, but full blown nerfing? I'm not so sure. It did seem like Sackboy's AP gain was pretty fast, however, even when using maximum defensive strategy. Kratos' AP gain is also pretty high, but honestly, he can be dealt with easier than Sackboy in my opinion.

I agree with you that grabs sometimes don't seem to drain enough AP, but usually you just keep on a character. I was playing against AI today as Nariko, and was throwing Kratos left and right, and his AP was draining pretty consistently. One throw just isn't enough. You have to really keep that type of assault going to really make a dent in their AP loss.

Definitely agree about the OP talk.
Ill mess around with throwing some more, since I usually just try it once And go back to attacking.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Definitely agree about the OP talk.
Ill mess around with throwing some more, since I usually just try it once And go back to attacking.

Yeah, what I was messing around with today was getting in the mindset of treating throws just like another attack. Yeah, it's really fun to be wailing on an enemy to get AP, but with a character like Nariko, throws are a part of her moveset in Heavenly Sword, so it felt kind of natural to start in with a regular attack combo, then finish with a throw. I still got AP, like I would if I had followed through with an attack, but the throw can also be used to set up further combos, and even a Super.

I took advantage of one of my combos-into-throw combos, and bounced the guy off the wall and into my Level 1 Twing Twang Super.

Some characters, I think, are better suited to throws, though. I main Ratchet, and he has a really useful throw because of it's range (although fighting against a mid-ranger like Kratos can be problematic). Nariko is a throw queen as well. Fat Princess is a juggler, and I haven't used her enough, but she struck me as someone who could be effective with throwing as well.

What I really like is that all of these characters have a lot of meat to them, and you really do get rewarded when you stick with one and learn their ins and outs. I feel like I'll be spending a lot of time with this game over the next few months, because I've barely touched the rest of the roster. Most of my time has been spent with Ratchet, followed by Good Cole, and now Nariko.

Perhaps throws should eject more AP? I threw a sackboy tonight 3 times in a row when he was just about halfway past his level 2 going towards a level 3, and I barely made a dent in his AP and I myself didn't gain much. At that point sackboy should have had about 500 AP? Each throw is 15% so that would have been roughly <80 AP per throw and I should have ejected around 200 AP with those 3 throws but felt like I only did about half that.

I could be wrong but I feel throws aren't reliably ejecting the proper amount of AP, or better yet it is not registering as such.

A.E Suggs

jySKi.jpg

dat kat portrait looks ugly

That screenshot looks good, that portrait is ugly, but meh I never look at them anyway.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Perhaps throws should eject more AP? I threw a sackboy tonight 3 times in a row when he was just about halfway past his level 2 going towards a level 3, and I barely made a dent in his AP and I myself didn't gain much. At that point sackboy should have had about 500 AP? Each throw is 15% so that would have been roughly <80 AP per throw and I should have ejected around 200 AP with those 3 throws but felt like I only did about half that.

I could be wrong but I feel throws aren't reliably ejecting the proper amount of AP, or better yet it is not registering as such.

500 - 15% = 75

425 - 15% = 63

263 - 15% = 39

and so on and so on. It starts to scale down a fuck ton after a few throws
Can anyone post some good setups for Raidens combos?  His down triangle in the air is too slow.
His straight dash attack in the air, do it instantly off the ground.

500 - 15% = 75

425 - 15% = 63

263 - 15% = 39

and so on and so on. It starts to scale down a fuck ton after a few throws

His straight dash attack in the air, do it instantly off the ground.

I guess that is my problem. I threw that person 3 times in a row without getting myself hit at all, and that person didn't lose much progress and kept the level 2 even. Perhaps 30% would be better? Encourage people to go after throws more.

Edit: just did the math 30% would be crazy. 20% would be a lot better though.

Can anyone post some good setups for Raidens combos? His down triangle in the air is too slow.

His forward throw or forward + square are good ones.

Edit: You can also get a decent combo off of his dive kick if you follow up with air up + triangle, from there you can get a free up + square into air combo if you time it right. That all depends on the positioning though.

A_Rival

Some characters throws will extract different amounts of AP; I'd suggest hitting up practice mode and checking how your character's throws affect your opponent's meter at different levels.

-A

PS. I'll use this opportunity to show my Raiden combo video again; I try to use a different setup for each combo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO9lGSocNZs

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So after fiddling with the game more, I do believe that the fighting mechanics still need to be tweaked. Hell, comparing it to Smash alone isn't enough. I also look at it with a much more apt comparison - the Narutimate Hero games.

My first problem is that the mechanics has some by-the-numbers feel to it. Most combos are pretty much straight forward unless you try to cancel them. Compare to other games where you are given free reign to initiate an attack or like in Narutimate Hero where you can switch a standard standing combo to either an upward, forward, or downward attack. If anything else, it feels like Dissidia more than anything, where you press a button and watch a short "cutscene attack" while not necessarily be a cutscene.

Crumpling feels pointless since you only have a short time to strike a crumpled character. Unlike most games where crumpled characters are fully vulnerable, adding much more use for that state. Similar to downed - many games allows you to strike a downed enemy but here the invincibility kicks in immediately, so you're pretty much out. It's not like other games where you are only invincible when you roll or you get up.

Throws act more like free attacks than anything, and you can really attack an enemy during a throw animation unless you're specific characters (like Ratchet), especially because they act more like a short "cutscene attack" than anything else.

I'm not going to comment on supers-for-score, since that one has been repeated and its fundaments are definitely worth noting (see: a "score by super kill" is not as flexible as "score by ringout" or "score by vitality").

To me it feels like the game has been structured on a traditional fighting game but apparently gets forced into an arena fighter. The mechanics really feel more like that and honestly if it was made more like your standard fighter, it wouldn't feel so awkward (super-kill aside).

Cartman86

Banned
In the future, paid DLC stages may be a problem. We would see the online community split up with those with DLC and those with none.

Well hopefully they go the Borderlands 2 route where everyone downloads the compatibility pack. Its a Sony game so I don't see any weird Microsoft related free dlc limit issues.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Crumpling feels pointless since you only have a short time to strike a crumpled character. Unlike most games where crumpled characters are fully vulnerable, adding much more use for that state. Similar to downed - many games allows you to strike a downed enemy but here the invincibility kicks in immediately, so you're pretty much out. It's not like other games where you are only invincible when you roll or you get up.

Throws act more like free attacks than anything, and you can really attack an enemy during a throw animation unless you're specific characters (like Ratchet), especially because they act more like a short "cutscene attack" than anything else.

Fuck no crumples are good as hell in this game, attacks that crumple lead to most characters big combos.

Throws are used for 2 reasons, to drain ap and to set up a favorable position. Characters that can't combo off a throw normally have something else major they can do afterwards

Boss Doggie

Fuck no crumples are good as hell in this game, attacks that crumple lead to most characters big combos.

Throws are used for 2 reasons, to drain ap and to set up a favorable position. Characters that can't combo off a throw normally have something else major they can do afterwards

Never said those two aren't correct now? :p

Like I said, crumple vulnerability is short. Needs to extend it throughout the whole crumple animation or at least the whole.

And yeah throws are for AP draining, but still needs to have them actually be vulnerable while doing it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Like I said, crumple vulnerability is short. Needs to extend it throughout the whole crumple animation or at least the whole.

Any longer and it would end up making the entire game crumple did I crumple? Super!!! The duration now forces you to hit confirm and it's pretty long already.

Boss Doggie

Maybe make it exempt on supers, thus allowing combos to make the enemy "stand up" again? That and grounded state really feel like missed opportunities.

naib

Only tried Sir William and Fat Princess so far, but this game is fun as shit. Looking forward to trying it on the big screen with other people.

Protome

Well hopefully they go the Borderlands 2 route where everyone downloads the compatibility pack. Its a Sony game so I don't see any weird Microsoft related free dlc limit issues.

Mandatory downloads of compatibility packs (or even just patches which add them) are definitely a must-have to prevent splitting the online. We don't want another Mortal Kombat scenario...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Maybe make it exempt on supers, thus allowing combos to make the enemy "stand up" again? That and grounded state really feel like missed opportunities.

Huh? It already does that you can combo off any crumple hit. They don't float or anything still counts as a grounded combo.

leroidys

Back to having fun mode. I've been playing 2v2 with randoms, so it can just be excrutiating when you have a horrible teammate and your opponents are pros playing on the same PS3.

I'm working on my sackboy - does anyone have any tips?

sidenote: I had a nariko on my team earlier today that beat the everloving shit out of the other team of 2 while I feebly tried to help. Goddam I'm glad I wasn't on the receiving end of that beat down. Any gaffers here play nariko?

Nakiro

So after fiddling with the game more, I do believe that the fighting mechanics still need to be tweaked. Hell, comparing it to Smash alone isn't enough. I also look at it with a much more apt comparison - the Narutimate Hero games.

My first problem is that the mechanics has some by-the-numbers feel to it. Most combos are pretty much straight forward unless you try to cancel them. Compare to other games where you are given free reign to initiate an attack or like in Narutimate Hero where you can switch a standard standing combo to either an upward, forward, or downward attack. If anything else, it feels like Dissidia more than anything, where you press a button and watch a short "cutscene attack" while not necessarily be a cutscene.

I'm not going to comment on supers-for-score, since that one has been repeated and its fundaments are definitely worth noting (see: a "score by super kill" is not as flexible as "score by ringout" or "score by vitality").

To me it feels like the game has been structured on a traditional fighting game but apparently gets forced into an arena fighter. The mechanics really feel more like that and honestly if it was made more like your standard fighter, it wouldn't feel so awkward (super-kill aside).

Narutimate Hero... man I miss those games so much.
Might have to dig up my copy.. if I can still find it somewhere.

Top Bottom