• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

confuziz

Banned
Anyone still alive in this topic?

I need a new online co-op game (tired of Borderlands) but I'm always playing with my brother and his gf. Borderlands makes this possible with its online system.

I heard somebody say PSABR features this kind of co-op as well. But does this mean that it's only 2 couch co-op vs 2 couch or can i play FFA with my brother and his gf?

Anyone still alive in this topic?

I need a new online co-op game (tired of Borderlands) but I'm always playing with my brother and his gf. Borderlands makes this possible with its online system.

I heard somebody say PSABR features this kind of co-op as well. But does this mean that it's only 2 couch co-op vs 2 couch or can i play FFA with my brother and his gf?

You can play 2v2 online with local co-op partner, but you cant have 3 local players when playing ranked or quick matches.

You can however invite online friends to play with you in custom matches along with your local friends. So 3 players FFA is possible in versus mode.

confuziz

Banned
You can play 2v2 online with local co-op partner, but you cant have 3 local players when playing ranked or quick matches.

You can however invite online friends to play with you in custom matches along with your local friends. So 3 players FFA is possible in versus mode.

Okay so in conclusion, it is possible, but not ranked mode, right?

Puppeteer's Kutaro would've been perfect for PASBR - his entire move-list is pretty much already established from what he's able to do in his own game. Maybe he'll have a chance to shine in the sequel!

Woah, it has been quite some time since this thread has been bumped. How are all you fine lad's doing?

Funny thing is I still played PS All Stars all this time. Only few days ago I got Puppeteer and started playing sth else.

And yes, Kutaro would have worked really well for this game. Too bad he would have been marketing character.

Hm.

I havent bought DLC characters either. 5 euros/dollars is a small game's price, not a SINGLE character DLC price. Im waiting if they drop price even if only temporarily.

Joseca

Banned
Anyone who wants to play? :( I just got the game (for $20 I couldn't say no) but I have a hard time finding quick matches.

PSN ID: Joselpz_

Robso

I liked the beta and am thinking of getting this. Is the online well populated? If not, guess there's no point getting it.

Drayco21

This is the game that brought me to GAF thanks to the character leak during one of the much earlier discussion threads. Dat wait time. Anyway, I still love this game to death, and while I'm probably way worse than any of you, I'll gladly play a few rounds with anyone who is interested anytime, just to provide an excuse to play some more.

PSN: Drayco90

When's that balance patch going to land? I hope it brings a bit of life back into this community, until the sequel for the PS4 that's totally going to happen because I believe really, really hard.

Card Boy

Banned
Copy and paste from the Stupid questions thread.

If i buy God of War: Ascension do i still get a code for Zeus and Issac for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale?

Whats the deal with Kat and Emmet? Are they free or $? Can't find them on the store.

Quick update on the patch for anyone who still cares.

i9xr3JMc107as.PNG

Nev

Banned
Unless they remove all hitconfirms (at least for level 1) I don't care about this patch. It's not like they're going to nerf Kratos or Raiden anyways.

Unless they remove all hitconfirms (at least for level 1) I don't care about this patch. It's not like they're going to nerf Kratos or Raiden anyways.

You do know that is impossible, atleast without destroying characters.

. . .

Speaking of which, shouldnt we discuss what should be done for patches? Other communities are trying, but Neogaf community hasnt even tried.

Evilisk

Speaking of which, shouldnt we discuss what should be done for patches? Other communities are trying, but Neogaf community hasnt even tried.

Meh I'm done with this game personally. Unless this is getting continued support (and not just one last patch) or this patch actually turns out well (and we don't just see more bad characters go worse) I'm not interested in playing this game seriously.

I came here from one of the other communities actually, but I've been completely soured on this game ever since Sony Santa Monica has been involved. (Also why am I not surprised that this patch still isn't out?)

I don't think it's impossible. Why do you?

Technically Evil Cole's & Sackboy's stun mines will always be kill confirms. If you make their lv1s not work on them, those lv1s will be worst in the game. And if you make mines uncomboable theyll just suck. So technically not every KC can or should be removed. :p

Of course there are some kill confirms that should go away such as:
- Dante's EC
- Raiden's
- Cole's
- Some of FatP's (fully charged square should stay)
- Sackboy's (but only if others lose their cheap KC's as well, since without KC Sackboy's lv1 is just bad)
- I would like to say Evil Cole's Giga Punch, but I suppose it could stay as long as charge up would be 30 frames and in ONE go, not in pieces. (Heihachi has to charge in one go, Evil Cole doesnt. Such BS.)

Probably missing some but removing ALL KC's would be stupid. Only alerting cheap ones should go.

At this point the patch makes no sense to put out imo, unless they plan to release on PS Plus or w.e but even then they basically watched as the game died. A patch isn't gonna magically re-invigorate the community.

But it will be nice for the people who still do play. Since they arent supporting any other way and essentially killed it by caring about damn GOW Acension MP more than PSAS in any way shape or form.

Yes im bitter. :(

Drencrom

Woah, surprised the patch is still coming

So much potential, maybe someday we'll have a real Playstation Smash contender. A mascot fighter that isn't half-assed with a weird unbalanced figthing mechanic and mediocre fanservice.

I'm still baffled why they bothered with the super mechanic in the first place, the game was obviously seen as a Smash clone anyhow so why couldn't they use the smash mechanic? If it really was because out of fear of the game being looked upon as a clone they should've made it a regular fighting game or a 3D arena fighting game like Powerstone.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Dat heartbreaking concept art. Really like that cover idea, it even features my beloved PS button icons. Who keeps leaking this stuff anyway? It's very fascinating comparing it to the final product.

So much potential, maybe someday we'll have a real Playstation Smash contender. A mascot fighter that isn't half-assed with a weird unbalanced figthing mechanic and mediocre fanservice.

I'm still baffled why they bothered with the super mechanic in the first place, the game was obviously seen as a Smash clone anyhow so why couldn't they use the smash mechanic? If it really was because out of fear of the game being looked upon as a clone they should've made it a regular fighting game or a 3D arena fighting game like Powerstone.
Yeah at the very least, the super system should've been there in addition to the regular Smash mechanics, not the ONLY means of scoring. The way it turned out was way too limiting IMO.

beat

Dat heartbreaking concept art. Really like that cover idea, it even features my beloved PS button icons. Who keeps leaking this stuff anyway? It's very fascinating comparing it to the final product.

Yeah at the very least, the super system should've been there in addition to the regular Smash mechanics, not the ONLY means of scoring. The way it turned out was way too limiting IMO.

I don't know 100% why the super system was the only scoring system, but I will say that if regular ring-out/knock-out* Smash mechanics were in there, level and character design would have to be markedly different. You couldn't have enclosed levels (obviously) and having characters would strong long range attacks would be a much more difficult balance proposition.

The decision about what scoring mechanics would be had to be settled pretty early on in the dev process.

* I really don't like how Smash redefines "knock out" from losing your health bar to being knocked out of the arena, esp since other fighting games already had a pre-existing term for it: "ring out". But I'm not much for Smash.

Speaking of Smash, I also wanted to make "PSmASh BRos" t-shirts but never did get around to it...

I must be blind, but where is Patapon rumour? Not in those concepts at least. (But they were in others :/)

I think this could have gotten less backlash as there would have been no 3rd party characters. But fucking hell, 3 FAT P characters? Biased even in pre-alpha stage. :p

...Honestly I dont even know all of those characters lol. Who is between Jak and Chimera Soldier? Also who are between Cole and Spike? And who is next to Locoroco ball? .-.

SSReborn

Salt to the wounds lol

I honestly think they should try this again give it a PSN game budget (since I'm certain they will never give it a AAA budget) use some of the existing assets. Axe the Super System but keep and change Supers, Axe the Infinite Avoidance system so that there can be more combo variety. Add more systems that make it a bit more hardcore. Keep the simple button commands. Keep the movelists for the most part, and keep most of the first party characters already there but throw on more. Improve UI and Presentation, One unified artstyle like the concept arts.

Evilisk

That cover art is a trillion times better than the one we got. (Though I see they still couldn't avoid using that terrible Big Daddy render from the Bioshock cover)

That roster picture makes me so damn sad because it has Nefarious, Blasto and Ellen (aka my most badly wanted first party picks). Just add a Qwark outfit for Blasto and Ares for a God of War villain (better than Zeus + we get Giant Enemy Crab jokes) and I would have been absolutely fine with that roster (even with the 3 Fat Princess characters)

It also explains what happened with the beta art (remember the original leak with the 2d art?)

Also Concept Roster (from what I can make out)

Row 1: Kratos, Fat Princess, Parappa, Sweet Tooth, Radec, Blasto, Nefarious, Ratchet, Nariko, Sir Daniel, Fat Princess (villager?), Sackboy

Row 2: Sly, Nathan Drake, Buzz guy, Jak, Warhawk, Chimera, Good Cole, Ellen, Scooby Doo?, Samurai guy?, Spike, Toro

Row 3: Locoroco, Evil Cole? Hale?, Fat Princess Warrior, Master Onion

Top Bottom