• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Astarte

So one thing that I really do not get.

Deliberately disconnecting

Why is it common that people simply pull the plug if they are going to lose (either during the beginning when things are not going their way or during the 10 second countdown)?

Because from my experience a disconnect will net you a score that is -99, or simply put the worst possible in a match. As consequence you always seem to lose the most points possible if you are playing ranked, so doesnt it make more sense to stay in the game and minimize your losses?

Tournament Update: Week 2

It's just the ragequitting mindset in general. It's pretty much for losers, no exceptions. You shouldn't ragequit, that's a stupid quitter mentality.

KalBalboa

Banned
It's just the ragequitting mindset in general. It's pretty much for losers, no exceptions. You shouldn't ragequit, that's a stupid quitter mentality.

What if you start playing with a bunch of teenagers screaming "fag," etc, and they begin teabagging you profusely the moment they knock you over 10-15 seconds in? I don't really mind leaving that scenario and being deemed a "quitter."

I could mute them, or I could do better, funner things with my time and quit the match. I also wish the mute option didn't need to be switched on for every match due to situations like that.

Astarte

What if you start playing with a bunch of teenagers screaming "fag," etc, and they begin teabagging you profusely the moment they knock you over 10-15 seconds in? I don't really mind leaving that scenario and being deemed a "quitter."

I could mute them, or I could do better, funner things with my time and quit the match. I also wish the mute option didn't need to be switched on for every match due to situations like that.

You shove their assholery down their throats as you beat their heads in. I never get frustrated in situations like that; I just beat them and move on. If they have nothing to do other than teabag you and scream, you already know you're better than them. Just beat em, applies to every game.

Camjo-Z

I think I only ever disconnected if the person on the other end was being an asshole over the mic AND using a broken character so I couldn't even teach them a lesson. (This was pre-patch, of course.)

Zen

Banned
When does the season restart? I reached brown belt and have been playing less ranked because I am afraid I will start to care too much about about reaching black with Radec.

Zen

Banned
So a decent amount of updates.

First of all it would be unfair of me not too mention this first

A new blog has opened up called GigaPunch that is aiming to be the heart of the PSABR scene, and it seems like it is run by people in the know. So first of all link to it and I do recommend favoring it as their updates are legitimate and they have news that does not seem to be coming from anywhere else.

https://gigapunch.wordpress.com/

So first big thing:

ALL-STAR EVO 2014 TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCED

Folks over here at GigaPunch are planning to have a huge EVO tournament at, you guessed it, EVO 2014. While it isnt part of the major ensemble for the EVO lineup, this will mark the 2nd entry of Playstation All-Stars at EVO and the 1st time All-Stars is being played at this competitive level at the famed Tournament series. So if you are going to EVO, life just got sweeter, if you are not– why are you reading this? Go ahead and register immediately, EVO is an experience every fighting gamer should witness.

Registration for this particular tournament will be handled via Paypal and will be up soon. So come out and support All-Stars for the game we have all grown to love and hate (thats how competition goes). Depending on the turnout we will have not only a pot but prizes including a PS Vita, games and potentially a PS4. So train up fellas, All Stars WILL be in Vegas.

Second thing,

NUMAKIE SIDE STREAM FOR PLAYSTATION ALL STARS @ TRB TOURNAMENT

Since the initial tournament of this PSA tournament series, PSA has been only streaming Top 3. Last Week, that all changed– Numakie has picked up streaming All Stars up to Winners Finals. This will allow for even more All-Stars. The remainder will be played out on the major stream of leveluplive. Be sure to check out not only PSA but Blaz Blue TRB Style every Thursday on his stream!

Still waiting for the Major Announcement? Stay tuned this week.

Omar Lives on.

Also there is some big announcement (as you see in the above post) coming this week that is NOT the Evo tournament.

Also recommend watching their matches of the day and blood series, the matches are goog and the music that they use for them feel like they should have been in the game to begin with, very up tempo.

For instance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScKjuce1mLE

I have no earthly clue what the news could be? I mean it sounds as if it is PSABR related, but could it just be that Omar was not left dead in an alley?

Drencrom

Second thing,

NUMAKIE SIDE STREAM FOR PLAYSTATION ALL STARS @ TRB TOURNAMENT

Since the initial tournament of this PSA tournament series, PSA has been only streaming Top 3. Last Week, that all changed– Numakie has picked up streaming All Stars up to Winners Finals. This will allow for even more All-Stars. The remainder will be played out on the major stream of leveluplive. Be sure to check out not only PSA but Blaz Blue TRB Style every Thursday on his stream!

Still waiting for the Major Announcement? Stay tuned this week.

Omar Lives on.

Also there is some big announcement (as you see in the above post) coming this week that is NOT the Evo tournament.

Huh? What is this 'major announcement' thing about? DLC and updates is pretty much out of the question at this point.

beat

I hope not. It'd be much better if they scraped the first one entirely and focused on a sequel. Omar would live on in spirit only. No need to bring him (or any of Superbot to be honest) for another go.

IMO Omar's a really thoughtful designer and I'd like to see what he does in his next take on the fighting genre.

SSReborn

I hope not. It'd be much better if they scraped the first one entirely and focused on a sequel. Omar would live on in spirit only. No need to bring him (or any of Superbot to be honest) for another go.
I'd hope for a sequel over that as well but I don't know how likely that would be. Port seems more realistic.

johngie

Neo Member
So Zen, who are you? Thanks for advertising my tourney by the way, next one starts Monday, maybe there'll be a prize, maybe not :)

And sorry for completely missing your post directed at me about the reddit tourney. Dunno how I missed it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I actually like the Supers to K.O. system, because I don't need every game in every genre to be a complete 1:1 clone of another game. I thought it was fun, especially getting together with friends to play co-op.

With that said, I think a followup should have more options in how you play. Have a "Classic" set-up, with the Super system as is, with some refinements, and then have a different system/mode, where you can do it health bars instead, with Supers being used to take larger amounts of HP from characters instead of an instant KO. One of the things that disappointed me the most about All Stars was the lack of real modes/options/extras in the game. I wished there was more of a character museum, concept art, jukebox. Presentation was sorely lacking in this game, but I still play it regularly, on the Vita on bus rides to and from work. I think it's fun, and a sequel could really add so much that was missing here.

I'm not so much concerned about character roster, as I felt the current roster is pretty good (but then again, I'm a huge PlayStation 1st and 2nd party character fan, so this game had more than a few of my favorites already), but I'm hoping we'll get a surprise, maybe digital only sequel on PS4 if they aren't confident in it pushing units at retail. I'd definitely snag a PS4 version of the original. Now, with the library being as small as it is, would be a perfect time to grab some new people who are really looking for something to play on their PS4s. People do seem to like the game when they play it and get past it not being a Smash clone (I love Smash, by the way, and am going apeshit waiting for the 3DS version to finally drop. I just want it so bad, dammit!).

Zen

Banned
So Zen, who are you? Thanks for advertising my tourney by the way, next one starts Monday, maybe there'll be a prize, maybe not :)

And sorry for completely missing your post directed at me about the reddit tourney. Dunno how I missed it.

Alas I am just a Canadian that plays Radec at a reasonable (brown/red belt) level and lives too far away to be a part of the scene (or of sufficient skill I would assume). But I love the game, and if you have noticed my post history (Starcraft oriented to be sure) I tend to give a healthy does of support to the games I enjoy.

So the better question is who are you ;D

So What does everyone think of the most assuredly fake Playstation Allstars Round 2 leak?

https://twitter.com/cantpucks/status/475558920103002112

6buJNcobmG

I mean even the name is bad!

PlxSwzA.png

JLv8dnm.png

I mean, to be fair, we still have taht weird big news that the gigapunch blog has not revealed.

Camjo-Z

So What does everyone think of the most assuredly fake Playstation Allstars Round 2 leak?

BprF1CJCMAAg7k8.jpg

the sad thing is, most of the time a leak looking like shoddy work is instant confirmation that it's fake

but for psas it just makes it more credible

I know leaks for PSallstars are usually true, but this was confirmed fake.

http://puu.sh/9koj7/25bcc96e0c.png
http://puu.sh/9kolg/865c6fb4e0.jpg
http://puu.sh/9kokm/42ff0ff53f.jpg

Hey, its ok. That MMO leak from half a year/year ago might be true. After it gets 3 years in development it transforms into action clone of Zelda, with a gimmick that may be good but instantly hated by internet while proceeding to get average marketing, average metacritic and average DLCs that stop after 5 months.

Featuring Borderlands-Guy and 4 Delsins Rowes.

BprF1CJCMAAg7k8.jpg

the sad thing is, most of the time a leak looking like shoddy work is instant confirmation that it's fake

but for psas it just makes it more credible

I know leaks for PSallstars are usually true, but this was confirmed fake.

http://puu.sh/9koj7/25bcc96e0c.png
http://puu.sh/9kolg/865c6fb4e0.jpg
http://puu.sh/9kokm/42ff0ff53f.jpg

Hey, its ok. That MMO leak from half a year/year ago might be true. After it gets 3 years in development it transforms into action clone of Zelda, with a gimmick that may be good but instantly hated by internet while proceeding to get average marketing, average metacritic and average DLCs that stop after 5 months.

Featuring Borderlands-Guy and 4 Delsins Rowes.

tumblr_m8phk7EnDU1ropi1f.jpg

Seriously though, the guy did so much to make a fake. I had doubts but always a sliver of hope for it to be true.

Skyzard

Banned

Teabagging is so fun in PSASBR.

Hell, even just crouching fast is funny!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
PlayStation All-Stars is the 3rd best selling PS3 game on PSN in June 2014
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/09/playstation-store-top-sellers-june-2014/

The sale seems to have driven a lot of people to pick the game up, not that the online community had any problems before but now there are like tons of people playing.

Good that it's still somewhat relevant a year and a half after it's initial release. Hope Sony keeps the series open for future installments.

Drencrom

Dear god no power stone, that series is woefully over rated and it would flop harder than PSABR.

A 3d arena fighter could work. Making it like Smash brought too much negative focus on the game in the first place and they will never outdo Smash so they're better of doing a different kind of mascot mash-up fighting game anyway.

AAK

Arena style or not, just make it a 3D fighter. Namco/Sega/Tecmo can't be the only companies in the entire frickin industry competent enough to make a 3D fighting game.

Zen

Banned
I don't know, NRS makes MK, and they are still playing catch up to everyone else on a polish, balance, and mechanical level. Heck look at how much more simplistic PSABR is than Smash in those departments as well.

beat

Arena style or not, just make it a 3D fighter. Namco/Sega/Tecmo can't be the only companies in the entire frickin industry competent enough to make a 3D fighting game.

Making a 4 player fighting game in 3D is even harder than making a Tekken, DOA, or VF. The major players in this space that I know are wrestling games (?), Power Stone, the Gundam fighting games, ... and that's about it. And the Gundam games require a screen per player.

I've been playing a lot of an import copy of J Stars Victory Vs on my Vita recently. Maybe an arena fighter in that style could work for PSAS? Would be pretty cool considering how many of the characters originate from 3D platformers/other games

J-Tier

I've been playing a lot of an import copy of J Stars Victory Vs on my Vita recently. Maybe an arena fighter in that style could work for PSAS? Would be pretty cool considering how many of the characters originate from 3D platformers/other games

I can see it working...

Joel rounds a corner with Ellie following close behind-- and in the clearing, he spies Kratos and Sweet Tooth duking it out, with flames and sparks erupting as their blades make contact. Joel crouches down and signals for Ellie to stay back.

Over to the left side, Wander shoots out of an alley atop Agro, his trusty horse. With a bow and arrow aimed forward, he clearly intends to interrupt their one-on-one battle, though it would be unwise for him to stick around for too long against these two bruisers--so he lets a few arrows fly into his opponents and skirts on by lashing out with his sword.

Seeing this opportunity, Joel grabs a bottle and tosses it into the crowd, which immediately summons a pack of infected and a few clickers to attack in the area.

Wander quickly makes a run towards the alley across the way ignoring the infected, and Sweet Tooth decides to stop his battle against Kratos to pursue Wander by summoning "Sweet Tooth" his battle-ready ice cream truck.

Meanwhile, Kratos mows down the NPC controlled infected, and turns his gaze towards Joel and Ellie...

...the dreams of a fanboy =p

Step

Shout-out to ProjectSeoul for making it into the combo-vid at EVO, well deserved for his insane Kat/Dante combos. I'm really glad the game was there at least in a video.

I really wonder how the game would have ended if it wasn't based around supers,it is so solid gameplay wise but that just beating the same old horse again and again : (

I've been back on this game for the past week.

Kratos is still annoying as hell, but half the frustration comes out of the fact that I play Sweet Tooth, so his offensive is too quick and versatile for me.

I like what they did with the AP and weapons post-patch. All the items seem dangerous and threatening and AP drops are increased.

Also, I love that you can drop AP by taunting. It has helped me in a 2v2 match once.

I have a lot of fun with the supers even though they aren't the best mechanic... So many moments of trickery and player-reading. I wish we see a sequel :'(

Played some PSAS with my brother today - still a fun local game :D

PS - Any PSAS Gaf members that want to get together for some future Smash Bros-ing should send me their Nintendo ID/3DS friend code!

Top Bottom