• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars joined by Heihachi and Toro

Adding a second row would only sum to 20 characters.

I don't remember any rumors about Wander or Nariko.

Snake was semi-confirmed via tweet. IIRC, David Hayter has done some voice work for the game.

SenEXunk

Banned
I am happy with Heihachi. I was a mega Tekken fan in the early PS days so to see him here makes sense, as well as Toro of course. The game is still lacking major Gurrrl power.

Gorillaz

Hopefully the UI isn't generic for this game....Idk thats one thing that bugs me the most.AlsoI said it in the other thread but gotta bring it up again

Lightning from FF13 could be kind of badass in this. Might as well balance the female count lol.

SenEXunk

Banned
Based on the trend of announcing characters where they would make the most impact and having one 3rd party with a first party character, I am going to make a prediction for Comicon...

Cole McGrath & Batman.

Based on the trend of announcing characters where they would make the most impact and having one 3rd party with a first party character, I am going to make a prediction for Comicon...

Cole McGrath & Batman.

the Japanese mascot had the most impact by being announced at EVO?

Takao

Banned
Obviously for Comicon they should dig up a War of the Monsters creature.

That would make for a pretty cool stage Superbot!

Ryce

If Sony sticks to revealing two characters at or around major events...

Comic-Con (July 15)
gamescom (August 15)
PAX Prime (August 31)
TGS (September 20)
NYCC (October 11)

That gives us 20 total characters announced before the game's release with the possibility of more as unlockables. Am I forgetting any expos/conventions?

Comic-Con (July 15)
gamescom (August 15)
PAX Prime (August 31)
TGS (September 20)
NYCC (October 11)

That gives us 20 total characters announced before the game's release with the possibility of more as unlockables. Am I forgetting any expos/conventions?

makes sense, although i'd imagine it will only be one of the August conferences myself

Loudninja

Comic-Con (July 15)
gamescom (August 15)
PAX Prime (August 31)
TGS (September 20)
NYCC (October 11)

The game has over 20 characters going by retailers descriptions.

Ryce

Inexplicably, 24's always struck me as the most likely amount. It just "feels" right to me. If 20 of those are revealed prior to release, I don't think saving 4 to unlock is too farfetched.

Duffyside

Banned
Why is that Deimos skin giving me a Leonidas vibe? Also I thought Toro and Heihachi were good reveals. They have a few months out before the game launches. Why show all of your heart stoppers now?

Well, don't show your "heart-stoppers," but show the "no-brainers" that we all want and are 90% certain are in the game. Show Cole and Sackboy and Ratchet. Toro would've been a fantastic last-to-near-last reveal.

JazzmanZ

They should reveal Crash and spyro next.

Just imagine, the trailer starts with a bunch of the characters in the game, suddenly everyone goes in slow motion, and the universal theme starts to play, a door in the back lifts itself up and shining in the blinding light is the silhouettes of two figures. At the end of the theme they reveal to be Crash and spyro.

Why do I do this to myself :( I know they probably will not be in it.

Well, don't show your "heart-stoppers," but show the "no-brainers" that we all want and are 90% certain are in the game. Show Cole and Sackboy and Ratchet. Toro would've been a fantastic last-to-near-last reveal.

I understand what you're saying but let's put it like this: if SuperBot was confident enough to show off Toro and Heihachi today at EVO for a reveal, who knows what they have planned for the weeks leading up until the release?

They should reveal Crash and spyro next.

Just imagine, the trailer starts with a bunch of the characters in the game, suddenly everyone goes in slow motion, and the universal theme starts to play, a door in the back lifts itself up and shining in the blinding light is the silhouettes of two figures. At the end of the theme they reveal to be Crash and spyro.

Why do I do this to myself :( I know they probably will not be in it.

if they were, i'd say there's a good chance they're kept a secret

DigitalOp

Banned
I want this game to be great.... But I have a gut feeling it will only end up disappointing alot of people...

I will wait and hope optimistically

(Shitty Edit: The art-style is pretty shitty too... :/)

Obviously for Comicon they should dig up a War of the Monsters creature.

That would make for a pretty cool stage Superbot!

You sir, have great taste in gaming

Takao

Banned
For Crash and Spyro I suspect we'll only get 1. Given Crash has nothing to lose by being in this game (there hasn't been a new Crash game for years), and has notoriety to gain I suspect he'll be the one we get.

SmithnCo

For Crash and Spyro I suspect we'll only get 1. Given Crash has nothing to lose by being in this game (there hasn't been a new Crash game for years), and has notoriety to gain I suspect he'll be the one we get.

And it will lead to a Crash 1-3 HD Collection with all new assets and classic Crash.

I can dream.

Duffyside

Banned
I understand what you're saying but let's put it like this: if SuperBot was confident enough to show off Toro and Heihachi today at EVO for a reveal, who knows what they have planned for the weeks leading up until the release?

Well, since there are probably ~12 characters left to reveal, and we pretty much know what some of them will be, I thought it would be better to name them now. Not to mention the fact that things might (probably will, as this is Sony) leak before release. If "Cole" leaks, we go "yeah, he's in." If Toro had leaked, it would have seemed weird enough for some people to say "I don't believe it."

Gartooth

My thoughts exactly. Although I really think the entire reveal process has just been bad for this game. For example, when the game was revealed, a Jak stage was shown revealing his presence in the game. (as well as any surprises about his inclusion) This could have been avoided by showing Parappa's stage instead because Parappa had already been introduced as a character. That way we would have gotten a nice surprise when Jak would be unveiled. (it also could have worked in reverse with Jak being unveiled with his stage, and Parappa saved for later)

To give it a Smash analogy, say Smash 64 was shown for the first time. Mario, Kirby, Link, and Pikachu are all debuted, along with a Mario and Metroid stage. Now everyone has just been practically told that Samus is in the game, but instead of revealing her, the next reveals are Yoshi and Fox. Fans are now waiting for Samus to finally debut, meanwhile Nintendo continues to reveal unexpected characters that could have been saved for later. In addition, they could have kept Samus herself a secret by showing say a Pokemon stage instead when the game was revealed thus keeping surprises in store.

Salsa

the fact that they keep marketing this with a Justice song instead of an original soundtrack is so awful

I feel like it won't be until the second game that we'll be getting most of our character demands and improvements. The focus now is probably on the basics and groundwork. If it's successful, they'll have their current roster and engine to work off of with most of the focus going to additional characters. Although in my opinion they need to completely overhaul the graphics engine. There's something very overly "early-gen" about it.

one_kill

I don't really like the look and feel of this game. Something about it just seems so bland and offputting. I'm not just saying this because I like SSB. It took me a while to enjoy that game.

Gorillaz

I don't think most people think expect this to rewrite the genre. It would take a sequel to really hit it out of the park.

Duffyside

Banned
My thoughts exactly. Although I really think the entire reveal process has just been bad for this game. For example, when the game was revealed, a Jak stage was shown revealing his presence in the game. (as well as any surprises about his inclusion) This could have been avoided by showing Parappa's stage instead because Parappa had already been introduced as a character. That way we would have gotten a nice surprise when Jak would be unveiled. (it also could have worked in reverse with Jak being unveiled with his stage, and Parappa saved for later)

To give it a Smash analogy, say Smash 64 was shown for the first time. Mario, Kirby, Link, and Pikachu are all debuted, along with a Mario and Metroid stage. Now everyone has just been practically told that Samus is in the game, but instead of revealing her, the next reveals are Yoshi and Fox. Fans are now waiting for Samus to finally debut, meanwhile Nintendo continues to reveal unexpected characters that could have been saved for later. In addition, they could have kept Samus herself a secret by showing say a Pokemon stage instead when the game was revealed thus keeping surprises in store.

A wrench is thrown into your theory though, unless we actually get Patapon or Buzz Quiz characters to play as, which I don't think we will. But I see what you're saying.

I am curious who they'll save for last, since I can't imagine a better pick for that than Parappa.

I feel like it won't be until the second game that we'll be getting most of our character demands and improvements. The focus now is probably on the basics and groundwork. If it's successful, they'll have their current roster and engine to work off of with most of the focus going to additional characters. Although in my opinion they need to completely overhaul the graphics engine. There's something very overly "early-gen" about it.
I got this feeling that it is first developed for vita and later up ported to ps3. Sly 4 also give me that impression.

SenEXunk

Banned
The graphics are fine. It's refreshing seeing a Sony IP step back from all the graphics Hoopla and just make a fun game. Usually Sony is always pushing 'teh graphics n cinematics' with Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Killzone. Their upcoming fall line up is such a breath of fresh air with LBP Kart, Sly 4 and PBR.

Takao

Banned
I'd like a gravity manipulation stage. Imagine a Gravity Rush x Loco Roco stage where the Nevi wreck havoc to Hexville before suddenly the plane shifts and LocoRoco rain from the sky to beat them up like the Mojos.

did superbot go on stage at all and talk / show stuff? Any footage of it?

Omar talked about some things. They have another panel at Evo talking about mechanics today.

I got this feeling that it is first developed for vita and later up ported to ps3. Sly 4 also give me that impression.

Given Superbot isn't doing the Vita version, uh no Vita was not the lead.

did superbot go on stage at all and talk / show stuff? Any footage of it?

They did three exhibition matches showing the new characters and a new stage based on Parappa and Killzone.

The graphics are fine. It's refreshing seeing a Sony IP step back from all the graphics Hoopla and just make a fun game. Usually Sony is always pushing 'teh graphics n cinematics' with Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Killzone. Their upcoming fall line up is such a breath of fresh air with LBP Kart, Sly 4 and PBR.

The graphics don't need to be realistic to look good though, and this game doesn't leave a good impression.

Cartman86

Banned
So what's the conspiracy we're thinking of? Did Clockwork fuck up and just simply say the wrong thing or did he say the wrong thing because Snake is in the game?

Gartooth

A wrench is thrown into your theory though, unless we actually get Patapon or Buzz Quiz characters to play as, which I don't think we will. But I see what you're saying.

I am curious who they'll save for last, since I can't imagine a better pick for that than Parappa.

Stage names are on my side for now. (Hades, Dreamscape, Metropolis, Sandover Village, The Dojo)

Although I'm screwed the moment a Gran Turismo stage pops up. :p

Edit: Finally read responses to one of my posts. (the one about the roster count) You guys are crazy, what the hell is wrong with expecting more than the bare minimum? Yeah sure the characters take time to make, but comparing them to characters from BlazBlue and Skullgirls? Come on that is a world's difference in quality and dedication. (not to mention Skullgirls is a 15 dollar game)

Takao

Banned
So what's the conspiracy we're thinking of? Did Clockwork fuck up and just simply say the wrong thing or did he say the wrong thing because Snake is in the game?

Snake's in. Cole's voice actor said he, and Hayter recorded lines for this game.

I'd like a gravity manipulation stage. Imagine a Gravity Rush x Loco Roco stage where the Nevi wreck havoc to Hexville before suddenly the plane shifts and LocoRoco rain from the sky to beat them up like the Mojos.

Omar talked about some things. They have another panel at Evo talking about mechanics today.

Given Superbot isn't doing the Vita version, uh no Vita was not the lead.
I know it isnt like that, its just the impression I got, they are really not pushing the graphics as other AAA ps3 titles. I dont think this game have comparable budget as uncharted or god of war. Which is a bit pf a shame. You'd think a celebration of playstation would warrant some higher production value. Well, it is a new ip, hopefully it succeed and give sony the confidence to raise the production value for the sequels.

They should have a Flower stage, just for the cognitive dissonance between the serenity of that game and PSABR.

I just noticed that Fat Princess is currently the only female character confirmed...?

Need to/Should have for gender balance:
Lara Croft - good cross-promotion for new Tomb Raider game
Kat - promotion of a new IP
Nariko - just a good fit for the game, although the IP is basically dead now
Lightning - maybe if they can't get Cloud, they can get female Cloud
Selvaria Bles - 'cause she's awesome

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I know it isnt like that, its just the impression I got, they are really not pushing the graphics as other AAA ps3 titles. I dont think this game have comparable budget as uncharted or god of war. Which is a bit pf a shame. You'd think a celebration of playstation would warrant some higher production value. Well, it is a new ip, hopefully it succeed and give sony the confidence to raise the production value for the sequels.

It's running at 60 fps.

The art style and animation look really good, too.

Don't understand the complaints about the graphics.

Top Bottom