• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation and sequel fatigue.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes yes yes. The sales are great. The figures don’t lie. Whatever. I’m not asking if Sony should be making endless sequels. I’m asking if you wish they’d stop.

The reason for the post is that GG have today confirmed that Horizon 3 is their next project.

Santa Monica are dedicated to GoW. Polyphony are dedicated to GT. Naughty Dog can’t seem to let go of The Last of Us. We know that an Uncharted game is in development based on the sizzle reel featuring Cassie. Insomniac will always have a Ratchet and Clank in the pipeline, and I don’t think anyone would be surprised if Spider-Man 3 follows 2.

A lot of these franchises don’t have the same ever green appeal that something like Mario or Zelda has. In my opinion it would be a hell of a lot more exciting if GG, ND and Santa Monica were looking at fresh new ideas and franchises.

You can post your lol emojis now.

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

Umbasaborne

Banned
We get less full priced 60/70 dollar games than we used to, and each one is so much to make that the financial stakes riding on each release are are much higher than they were even ten years ago. So, if your a publisher, and your devoting a massive, massive budget to a game, doesnt it make more financial sense to make safe bets on proven franchises? Im not saying i like it, im just saying how it is. I wish more major publishers were more willing to fund smaller games to off set the risk, like we saw with pentiment last year, but you also need big successes to fund those smaller “niche” games.

CunningPlan

Neo Member
They've got quite a few new studios working on new IP as well as new teams set up in their more established studios working on new IP. Will likely see in the second half of the gen.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
For some titles I don't mind sequels, but there are other that I wish they just moved on from their current IP.

Horizon Zero Damn and The Last of Us for me are franchises that I've had enough, would prefer if they moved to something new.

Currently playing Kena, and how I wish Naughty Dog revisited Jak & Daxter or created something with the same vibe.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A lot of these franchises don’t have the same ever green appeal that something like Mario or Zelda has
how so?

Nintendo franchises last because Nintendo don't make many new IP, they stick by what's profitable.

If Nintendo took the Sony approach they'd probably have a bunch of new IP and Mario and Zelda would just be legacy/mascot franchises the same way Pac Man is for Namco and Mickey is for Disney

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yes, they should stop making sequels to good selling games that are well received.

Also...when did Horizon Zero Dawn come out...

They introduced 2 new IP last gen alone, Zero Dawn and GoT. They would be crazy to not make sequels.

Last edited:
The sequels are like 5 years apart though. That's a long time. Theres only so many new ip they can make because it's a big risk. They usually make a few every generation though, so I'm expecting a few announcements at the next showcase. Last gen we got

Horizon
Days gone
Ghost of tsushima
Dreams
Bloodborne
Death Stranding

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
They know what the solution is. Go like Nintendo and make one game per generation. I trust them to make good games. Uncharted 4 was a lot better than uncharted 3. And the DLC even better. GOW Ragnarok is so much bigger than the 2018 game...
As long as they do new IP too it should be okay.

Pentiment, hifi rush, ori and the blind forest, recore, psychonauts 2…microsoft is much less risk averse than sony is these days. Used to not be the case, i want ps3 era sony back.

Sounds like you’re just conveniently ignoring things like PSVR2, Returnal, Kena, Stray, Sifu, Death Stranding 1/2 etc which Sony has supported

Sony has a nice mix of sequels and unique content

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yes yes yes. The sales are great. The figures don’t lie. Whatever. I’m not asking if Sony should be making endless sequels. I’m asking if you wish they’d stop.

The reason for the post is that GG have today confirmed that Horizon 3 is their next project.

Santa Monica are dedicated to GoW. Polyphony are dedicated to GT. Naughty Dog can’t seem to let go of The Last of Us. We know that an Uncharted game is in development based on the sizzle reel featuring Cassie. Insomniac will always have a Ratchet and Clank in the pipeline, and I don’t think anyone would be surprised if Spider-Man 3 follows 2.

A lot of these franchises don’t have the same ever green appeal that something like Mario or Zelda has. In my opinion it would be a hell of a lot more exciting if GG, ND and Santa Monica were looking at fresh new ideas and franchises.

They are printing money and I don't see them changing things up until the bottom line tells them to do so

Pentiment, Grounded, Hi Fi Rush, Redfall, Starfield, Ara, Avowed, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Contraband, Everwild, Kojima Project.

Microsoft has more new IPs than anyone else. Gears has been forgotten by everyone, however. So enough with this Xbox 360 narrative.

Not really fair on sony when Microsoft gained most of those through a publisher acquisition. Sony actually created their own stuff.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
They just need to actually improve horizon 3’s gameplay systems and world design

I’m fine for a sequel if they do that
Ffs I'll bite... How? The gameplay system is perfectly fine allowing you a range of options and playstyles to take down Dino's as for World Design, now I know you're trolling HFW has some of the best world design out there end off, the individual biomes are all incredibly diverse from one another and filled with insanely detailed towns and ruins to explore, not to mention the sci-fi/matrix look of the Cauldrons.

To be fair I'd rather GG took on another project, they kinda put everything into HFW & Burning Shores, I can't see where they're gonna go with the next one

Pelta88

Naughty Dog can’t seem to let go of The Last of Us.

The IP not only crossed into mainstream media but became part of popular culture. Something we've always hoped for but have never seen as gamers. It broke nearly every record at HBO in terms of viewership and audience building. And has already had a new season ordered with rumoured spinoffs for Ashley Johnson. But according to OP, ND should just let go of the ip.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Markio128

I don’t really mind one way or the other.

I think the most important thing is for a dev to always work on a game they are passionate about.

Whether you like them or not, HFW, TLOU2 and GOW:R were clearly labours of love.

Gamerguy84

They make more new IPs than anyone. This isn't a console war statement and I'm not trying to rile anyone but Nintendo been making Mario for decades and X box has been making Forza, Gears, Halo as their main for over a couple decades.

Capcom and RE, Square and FF, Ubusoft and ass creed, the list goes on.

PS puts out many new IPs. They have introduced more new characters and adventures Like Uncharted 1 through 4 and looks like it's done. Infamous, Days Gone, etc. They take chances with new characters and stories. New IPs are risky because no one knows anything about them. They don't relate to them and new IP generally sell less because of it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I hear you OP. I'll never say that TLOU, GOW, and Horizon are bad games, cause they aren't.

But the bulk of Sony's 1st party output doesn't interest me in the slightest.

That being said, I do like Horizon a bit and I need to play GOT but Sony's focus just doesn't appeal to me much

I'm weird like that though cause I'm also a Sony fanboy for the most part and own a PSVR2. I spend thousands on Sony yet dislike their biggest games. 🙃

They put out what sells. Can't blame them. Only issue I have with some of their games is they try to emulate Ubisoft too much with open worlds, and those open worlds are just for eye candy with little to no interactions.

Fbh

While I always welcome new IP, I don't think Sony has that much of a sequel issue.

Many of their big franchises are only on their second main entry: Last of Us, Horizon, Spider Man, Death Stranding.
They've also introduced new IPs in the from of Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima and the upcoming Rise of Ronin and Wolverine.

This year we got a remake of Resident Evil 4 and we're getting Final Fantasy 16, Street Fighter 6 and something like 3D Zelda 7. But somehow the fact we might get a Horizon 3 in like 5 years is an issue?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think it really shows how much people underestimate the skill and the creativity needed to keep IP relevant for long periods of time. A lot of people act like Nintendo is not creative for using IP that are 40 years old now. In my opinion, it shows how creative and skilled they are that they've managed to continuously reinvigorate their IPs and take care of them for that long. Almost no one else can do that. The IP falls apart almost instantly. Even in games that are specifically created as trilogies, like Mass Effect, the IP falls apart before it can even get to the end.

Why are people burned out on Horizon already? They were burned out after the 1st game even, let alone the 2nd. Why are people burned out on The Last of Us and want Naughty Dog to make something new? It can't be that there's too many games. It has to be the game itself, or how long they take to make now, or a combination of both.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

SSM's next game is a new IP. GOW is done for now.

Wolverine is technically a new IP, but Insomniac need to leave Ratchet behind. I dont see them making Ratchet again.

ND fucked up for sure. Should released a new IP last gen, but like Horizon, you need to close out this franchise. Especially seeing as how poorly TLOU2 was received by fans.

Horizon shouldve been a 2 game series. Shouldve been next gen only. But they fucked that up.

P.S Nintendo needs to let Mario and Zelda die too.

Ffs I'll bite... How? The gameplay system is perfectly fine allowing you a range of options and playstyles to take down Dino's as for World Design, now I know you're trolling HFW has some of the best world design out there end off, the individual biomes are all incredibly diverse from one another and filled with insanely detailed towns and ruins to explore, not to mention the sci-fi/matrix look of the Cauldrons.

The combat is fine

I’m talking about emergent gameplay in the world design (BOTW, elden ring, rdr2)

The world looks pretty but it’s the empty Ubisoft template. Cauldrons aren’t meaningful side content because the rewards generally suck. They need to improve the loot grind

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Nintendo, Sony and MS are all the exact same.

Make new IPs. But when one sticks and sells a ton, it's sequel time. When the sales of sequel XYZ peter out, then it's time to make a new IP again. Or do a sequel much farther out.

The reason why Sony had an image of tons of new IP way back is because they couldnt find giant sellers aside from GOW and GT. That's why those continue to this day. The rest got shelved (all the shooters, Driveclub, etc...). Big success in LOU and Spiderman. So those remain. All their core SP games probably sell 20M copies(?). They arent going anywhere. And because they take a long time to make, it saps the studio from making other games.

For whatever reason, they got a lot more success from first party SP games (aside from GT), while most of their MP attempts fail. So they stuck to SP sequels.

Last edited:
I think it really shows how much people underestimate the skill and the creativity needed to keep IP relevant for long periods of time. A lot of people act like Nintendo is not creative for using IP that are 40 years old now. In my opinion, it shows how creative and skilled they are that they've managed to continuously reinvigorate their IPs and take care of them for that long. Almost no one else can do that. The IP falls apart almost instantly. Even in games that are specifically created as trilogies, like Mass Effect, the IP falls apart before it can even get to the end.

Why are people burned out on Horizon already? They were burned out after the 1st game even, let alone the 2nd. Why are people burned out on The Last of Us and want Naughty Dog to make something new? It can't be that there's too many games. It has to be the game itself, or how long they take to make now, or a combination of both.

Tbh, I’m burned out on most of the regurgitated content nintendo churns out

Stuff like BOTW is the rare exception

Last edited:
Its business at end of the day. We will continue seeing uncharted, gow, horizon etc.. because they sell really well and make money for sony. We will get new ip too. Sony always create new ip every generation. A good game is a good game. Its not about the name, but the quality is what's important. I always enjoy mario and zelda too because they are great games. Doesn't matter if its like the 20th game in the series.

Last edited:

GHG

Sales would indicate people are not burned out on those franchises though?

I think it's important to distinguish between hardcore gamers who seem to feel the need to play every AAA game going (which results in the feeling that you've been there, done that) and the more regular audience (whom are the majority) and will only play a handful of games a year.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
how so?

Nintendo franchises last because Nintendo don't make many new IP, they stick by what's profitable.

If Nintendo took the Sony approach they'd probably have a bunch of new IP and Mario and Zelda would just be legacy/mascot franchises the same way Pac Man is for Namco and Mickey is for Disney
Good post, and it deserves more than ‘because that’s my feeling’. I will try and come back to this one tonight to explain why I feel that way.

The sequels are like 5 years apart though. That's a long time. Theres only so many new ip they can make because it's a big risk. They usually make a few every generation though, so I'm expecting a few announcements at the next showcase. Last gen we got

Horizon
Days gone
Ghost of tsushima
Dreams
Bloodborne
Death Stranding
Another good post but the 5 year gap is a major contributor towards me feeling apathetic towards sequels. I’m 30 now - I could realistically be 35-40 by the time GG or SuckerPunch move on from Horizon/GoT.
They are printing money and I don't see them changing things up until the bottom line tells them to do so
I just worry that like with Xbox and Halo/Gears/Forza, by the time they’ve realised the public perception is shifting it’ll be too difficult to steer the tanker right. I also worry that recruitment suffers in the form of creatives when emphasis is placed on sequels.

Bergoglio

Not really fair on sony when Microsoft gained most of those through a publisher acquisition. Sony actually created their own stuff.
Right now they're greenlighting the sequels to Ragnarok, TLOU, and Forbidden West. I'd say they've decided that PS5 should be the sequel to PS4. It's a great pity that the Sony trio doesn't want or can't offer something new. Beware that if they now start with another round of sequels, now that they come out, the generation ends.

reksveks

Unfortunately I think if you want to make something a transmedia property, you need a number of releases. It just

Also remember that Horizon has potentially 2 mores game in the works.

Tsaki

We cannot ask from a company to create new IP all the time and at the same time admire Nintendo's sales on their big franchises (Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, SSB, Mario Kart, etc). New IP will never reach the sales of those games. And at the same time you let down fans of those established titles. If someone is excited for God of War: Egypt, they'll be disappointed with a "Yeah we know you love Kratos, but we MUST move to this new IP to satisfy this other group" (even though SSM are already creating a new game aside from nu-GoW3).
If a studio feels an IP is dead and there is not much excitement for it with the developers, then they'll do their due diligence and move to something different. But if the devs want to continue and sales are good, then creating something new for the sake of it seems moronic. Unless of course it is insinuated that Sony has a mandate for what games a studio must create which of course it is another conversation entirely (and I highly doubt this to be the case anyway).

feynoob

Banned
Sony main issue is climbing.
Why the hell do I need kratos, abi, aloy climb up all day?

Make the game more interesting by walking around, explore the town more and let me have a lot of dialogue with my npcs.

Back to the story. Sony studios needs to understand what an open world is and how to utilize that open world.

Take a cue from Skyrim, the Witcher 3, gta, red dead. Don't make the game about story only. Give players a choice.

These are my 2 cents. I don't know if people here will agree with me or not.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sales would indicate people are not burned out on those franchises though?

I think it's important to distinguish between hardcore gamers who seem to feel the need to play every AAA game going (which results in the feeling that you've been there, done that) and the more regular audience (whom are the majority) and will only play a handful of games a year.
Yep, that's definitely true.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
While I always welcome new IP, I don't think Sony has that much of a sequel issue.

Many of their big franchises are only on their second main entry: Last of Us, Horizon, Spider Man, Death Stranding.
They've also introduced new IPs in the from of Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima and the upcoming Rise of Ronin and Wolverine.

This year we got a remake of Resident Evil 4 and we're getting Final Fantasy 16, Street Fighter 6 and something like 3D Zelda 7. But somehow the fact we might get a Horizon 3 in like 5 years is an issue?

Sounds like you’re just conveniently ignoring things like PSVR2, Returnal, Kena, Stray, Sifu, Death Stranding 1/2 etc which Sony has supported

Sony has a nice mix of sequels and unique content

The problem is that Kena, Stray, Sifu and PSVR2 stuff is so niche that no one cares about them. At least not on message boards. I do agree that Returnal, GoT, Wolverine, and Death Stranding are proof that Sony isnt all in on sequels.

Another problem is that unlike past gens, when we only got sick of games after the third entry in the franchise, these games are so long that by the time we finish the second game, we are done with them. Horizon FW, GOW Ragnorak, TLOU2 started feeling samey just a few hours in. I enjoyed them but they didnt do much different to keep me interested despite their 5-7 year dev cycles. Final Fantasy games on the other hand feature new characters, new worlds, new combat systems, and thus can get away with having over a dozen sequels like Zelda.

Hell, I think Nintendo doing a straight sequel for Zelda is going to blow up in their face despite how beloved BOTW was. It will still review well like GOW, Horizon and TLOU2, but you will see a bigger backlash from gamers who are going to complain about it being too samey. Gone are the days of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and BOTW feeling completely unique and different from their predecessors.

Uncharted 1-3 took just 4 years. GOW1-3 released in a span of 5 years. By the time Horizon 3 and TLOU3 come out, these series would be 12-15 years old. Its hard for anyone to care about a story that takes that long to end.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A lot of people act like Nintendo is not creative for using IP that are 40 years old now. In my opinion, it shows how creative and skilled they are that they've managed to continuously reinvigorate their IPs and take care of them for that long.
It doesn't really do that for me when they have to use their 40 years old IP to present new ideas- it feels more like a crutch than anything. That's not even mentioning that the amount of new IP they've come up with since 2010 is in the single digits.

That creativity and skill IMO could be better put to use on a blank canvas rather than drawing over Mario again
The problem is that Kena, Stray, Sifu and PSVR2 stuff is so niche that no one cares about them. At least not on message boards. I do agree that Returnal, GoT, Wolverine, and Death Stranding are proof that Sony isnt all in on sequels.
They're niche because they're new IP. gameplay wise they'd be right up most people's alley but not everyone buys in because it's new

Top Bottom