• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Bid On Items With Gold Trophies (CFW cheaters winning)

El_Mau

"This item is sold. Auction Winner Pending. We are currently validating the winner."

It's nice to see that sony it's doing something about it.

USC-fan

Banned
"This item is sold. Auction Winner Pending. We are currently validating the winner."

It's nice to see that sony it's doing something about it.

Thats AWESOME! Bravo sony.

This such a great idea sucks the cheater tried to ruined it.

Hope they keep this up. Might have to try for some more trophies since i got like 15...lol

They would need an ungodly amount of time, can just brute force it

You need the game either DL version, ripped version that on a huge external HDD or send files through Proxy/FTP servers

Then you would have to go through many steps just to get Platinum

There's some work involved

It's not like tomorrow someone can show up the maximum amount of Gold trophies possible and clean out the lot

#3, #4 on the leaderboard respectively have 2,322 (#3), 1,879 (#4) Gold Trophies
Those are the Top US players, unless someone says they are international and just use the US Flag as a given

So if you see anything over that amount, it's a cheater

We got 10 minutes to go for Clicker, lets see who wins, as I said before if cheater, blog post will be on fucking fire lol, if legit, some of the pitchforks will come down, but the first winner will still be in trouble

This is why everyone asked Sony to have an official leaderboards, I mean third parties have to take up the damn burden and set shit right
If MS has a dedicated team, Sony can too

1 minute countdown till Clicker winner
Validating winner, looks redsoxfan got removed from the first prize, cause his name ain't appearing

Damn concept art @111 Gold Right off the bat
Now @840, Gawd Damn, Bidding for this shit just started, ROFL

The Clicker costume was @705 Gold, Concept Art is more already, so fucking weird

That costume was made for a women is most likely why.

They getting teh cheaters so you got a chance to get something. Good luck!

yup validating the current winners now... I wonder if that means they might do a rebid for the killzone costumes

Edit
-------------------------------
Also we now have three Roronoa Zoros here on Gaf ;)

yup validating the current winners now... I wonder if that means they might do a rebid for the killzone costumes

I imagine they'll just review all the bidders and go down the list, knocking off the cheaters until they come to somebody with a legitimate bid and that's who will win it.

I don't think Sony (SCEA) revoked the prize from the first "winner". They simply made the winners private.

Here I and others were thinking this would wake them up, but all they did was cover their tracks and allow the problem to persist.

I also have to say that it was funny the PSNProfiles admin on Twitter (@psnprofiles) questioned Sony if they are going to do anything about the cheater winning. While PSNProfiles lists one of the biggest frauds in history as #1 in the world on the "clean" leaderboard (who is now banned from PSN, but the twist is NOT for trophies but getting caught with CFW one too many times - more misinformation being spread is the admin of YourGamerCards, another joke trophy site in terms of legitimacy, claiming that user was banned due to trophy manipulations).
Are you going to do anything about that, Mr. PSNProfiles? What a joke.
Anyone bringing that or the rampant uncleaned cheater issue on PSNProfiles is met with a swift thread lock or deletion. It's bad enough there is a dirty leaderboard, going to show you that even the leaders of these huge community trophy sites really have no backbone.

On the PS Blog someone was spamming a message asking Sony to look at the Dirty leaderboard on PSNProfiles and ban them all. While the Clean leaderboard may as well be called Dirty too. And per-game leaderboards are also a mess, obvious under-10-minute completers still just sitting there on hundred-hours completions. Why anyone would link their card with PSNProfiles knowing what I know...it's incredible.

PSNProfiles is a joke, just like SCEA (when it comes to networking, not their studios). It's maddening that they are the ones getting mentioned in these articles and not a more legitimate trophy site like PSNTrophyLeaders (www.PSNTL.com). The community and officials really aren't doing much of anything.

I feel really bad for PS3 trophy guys like GraveRobberX who sweat away at these worthless PS3 completions. If you're going to sit there day after day doing what most people claim as "wasting time", at least get something of value out of it. I'd suggest going all Vita for trophy tasks and only do the must-play (in your opinion) gems on PS3 for trophies. Meaningless grinds are...meaningless now due to the mass manipulation. The thing is, the same people will read what I'm saying here and ignore it, then get really angry when there is a reminder how much of a joke the PS3 trophy system has become, like this fiasco.

I don't think Sony (SCEA) revoked the prize from the first "winner". They simply made the winners private.

But how would that solve Sony's PR problem here? Trophy hackers aren't exactly the most modest of individuals. Regardless of whether or not Sony makes the winners private, someone like redsoxfan95 would scream to the rooftops of the internets how the haters can choke on his sack because after all their whining he still got his prize. That would just amplify Sony's headache.

I think they made the winners private to prevent people from doxing them, or at least put another barrier there. I think Sony will still vet the winner's trophy list, they just won't do it in a way that publicly throws the cheaters to the angry mob.

Hakoom

Just like to thank you jetsetfluken for saying what i had in my heart for the past 3 years :)
I dont even know how you typed it word for word...
hacked me maybe? ;) lol

Did anyone really believe they were going to address the trophy frauds? They haven't done a thing about it for years now. Why would they suddenly start now?

Did anyone really believe they were going to address the trophy frauds? They haven't done a thing about it for years now. Why would they suddenly start now?

because one thing is letting them have a big e-penis, and another one letting them steal an auction done on goodwill.

Ocaso

One would have hoped the negative attention this received would have prompted them to alter their auction methods. As it stands they are doing nothing more than awarding prizes for being the most blatant cheater. While most of us have shrugged it off given we probably wouldn't have had a chance at the prizes even if the contest were clean, the fact that it's dirty beyond repair has turned it into a farce, the type of thing that should be cancelled ASAP. Were I a writer for any games website, I'd make it a point to highlight how blatant the cheating is for every single intem.

Because in a few months people are paying for online, people will not be so forgiving then

Well, that's one of my concerns with Sony going forward. They have shown no signs they'll ever take this stuff as seriously as Microsoft. I have a feeling paying for online isn't going to change much.

Well, that's one of my concerns with Sony going forward. They have shown no signs they'll ever take this stuff as seriously as Microsoft. I have a feeling paying for online isn't going to change much.

Hmm trophy hackers use CFW right?

Don't believe the PS4 will allow for CFW so they'd have to find another means to do it

Perhaps Sony will try to just sweep this under the rug?

Assuming a way to cheat isn't discovered on the PS4

Does kind of invalidate all PS3 trophies though until fixed

Vashetti

Banned
Wait, they just made the winner private?

So until we know otherwise, the cheater still won, and gained recognition.

Well fucking done Sony.

neuroned

Neo Member
Day one PS3 owner with 50 plats and 234 Golds. Yet I have no chance to outbid any of these people. CFW has made trophy hunting irrelevant.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hmm trophy hackers use CFW right?

Don't believe the PS4 will allow for CFW so they'd have to find another means to do it

Perhaps Sony will try to just sweep this under the rug?

Assuming a way to cheat isn't discovered on the PS4

Does kind of invalidate all PS3 trophies though until fixed

You do realize, PS4 release doesn't mean all PS3's are thrown out the window

You could keep earning trophies illegitimately on your PS3, sync, jump on to your PS4, guess what? all Trophies carry over....
Until the last game and PS3 is made and there's support for these shenanigans, Sony will have cheaters moving their unearned/hacked Trophies with them for the long haul

It would be awesome if Sony, Insta-Bans them from PS4 once they log in with that account, be like "Sorry this account is compromised, please try again with another account or create a new one"

You would think a company who has changed their EULA/TOS can't put this in there for the PS4

You do realize, PS4 release doesn't mean all PS3's are thrown out the window

You could keep earning trophies illegitimately on your PS3, sync, jump on to your PS4, guess what? all Trophies carry over....
Until the last game and PS3 is made and there's support for these shenanigans, Sony will have cheaters moving their unearned/hacked Trophies with them for the long haul

It would be awesome if Sony, Insta-Bans them from PS4 once they log in with that account, be like "Sorry this account is compromised, please try again with another account or create a new one"

You would think a company who has changed their EULA/TOS can't put this in there for the PS4

That is a great and terrible point :(

God I hope they insta-ban them as you suggest

Kind of deflates any enamor I had for trophies on PS4

GraveRobberX

Day one PS3 owner with 50 plats and 234 Golds. Yet I have no chance to outbid any of these people. CFW has made trophy hunting irrelevant.

It also made the hardcore fanatics who put in the time and money to earn them be irrelevant and that stings more

I put in EIGHTY-EIGHT gaming fucking hours for one damn silver trophy for a fucking Vita game, 88 FUCKING hours
It was the most luck based trophies for Plants vs Zombies to spin the slot, get 3 diamonds and get the "Lucky Spin" trophy
I watched so much reality TV and DVR bullshit going for it, put in roughly4- 6+ hours everyday
I get the damn trophy (some of my trophy peers who started after me got theirs, !), then the dev announce they will be fixing it (most likely reading my ordeal), and patch it
Now you can get in less than 5 minutes =/

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah sorry, you seem to be right. There was an app that claimed to spoof the ID but reading up now and it was just using a valid one. I never looked at the PSN circumvention stuff too closely - jumped on the PS3 homebrew bandwagon early on but kept the unit disconnected.
Ok, its the same app i'm thinking of most likely :) I'm glad that Sony didnt mess that up, concidering that it is free and so easy to just create another PSN account, it would be impossible to ban cheaters if they could just spoof their console ID to anything.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The auctions now say this:

SCEA is committed to rewarding greatness. We are also committed to ensuring fair play in our programs and contests. Before we grant rewards through our Bid for Greatness program, we authenticate the eligibility and trophy count of all potential winning bidders, and if we believe that any potential winner did not comply with the terms and conditions of the program or their trophies were not properly earned, we will disqualify that individual and award the item to the next highest, eligible bidder.

jcm

SCEA is committed to rewarding greatness. We are also committed to ensuring fair play in our programs and contests. Before we grant rewards through our Bid for Greatness program, we authenticate the eligibility and trophy count of all potential winning bidders, and if we believe that any potential winner did not comply with the terms and conditions of the program or their trophies were not properly earned, we will disqualify that individual and award the item to the next highest, eligible bidder.

Just as I predicted. They ran it through the legal department. Glad they're doing the right thing.

Ocaso

Good news, I suppose. I do hope they are forthcoming about who won, though. Otherwise it could just be a statement meant to placate and nothing more.

PS3 online was patched together. I think, or rather I'm hoping that everything we've seen with the PS4 so far will continue to the online realm.

Glad to see.

It also made the hardcore fanatics who put in the time and money to earn them be irrelevant and that stings more

I put in EIGHTY-EIGHT gaming fucking hours for one damn silver trophy for a fucking Vita game, 88 FUCKING hours
It was the most luck based trophies for Plants vs Zombies to spin the slot, get 3 diamonds and get the "Lucky Spin" trophy
I watched so much reality TV and DVR bullshit going for it, put in roughly4- 6+ hours everyday
I get the damn trophy (some of my trophy peers who started after me got theirs, !), then the dev announce they will be fixing it (most likely reading my ordeal), and patch it

That shit is NEVER worth it.

yella

I must have crazy luck, then, cause I got that trophy in my first try with the game!

EDIT: And I see why now. That feeling of accomplishing something trophy related faster than GraveRobber lasted approximately 30 seconds lol

Andrefpvs

Watch Sony disqualify the cheater from the auction but not doing anything to him on PSN :lol

NIN90

That's both hilarious and utterly sad to read.

so they are hiding the winners now because they are ashamed of giving it to cheaters? lmao
redsoxfan95 should scream to the rooftops of the internets how the haters can choke on his sack because after all their whining he still got his prize.
fify, also that would be hilarious.

Watch Sony disqualify the cheater from the auction but not doing anything to him on PSN :lol
that's expected from Sony. No real punishment. Also you can make a fake but legit-looking score, so a cheater might still win, take pictures of the prize and tell everyone to suck it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sony has nothing to hide

@PlayStation 5:47 PM
Bid For Greatness: robg691 confirmed winner of the Black Hand outfit: bit.ly/16H8T1x All winners validated before final selection

GraveRobberX

Good Job on Rob

On YGC he's ranked 80 overall, I see no fuck-up or abuse on his games, I need to be more through (hey it never hurts to see, but I believe Sony will pick the legit winners from here on out), but for some reason psnprofiles is down

Looks like DDOS attack coming their way for spoiling the hackers fun

GraveRobberX

Earned 5 Golds over 2 days, Playing Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (Hitman HD Trilogy)

@649 Now

Got Contracts & Blood Money to go, if I can finish both in 2.5 days, can get an extra 15, 6 from Contracts and a whopping 9 from Blood Money

Sony has nothing to hide

@PlayStation 5:47 PM
Bid For Greatness: robg691 confirmed winner of the Black Hand outfit: bit.ly/16H8T1x All winners validated before final selection

RedSoxFan's face right now:
sY2mxeT.gif

Good Job on Rob

On YGC he's ranked 80 overall, I see no fuck-up or abuse on his games, I need to be more through (hey it never hurts to see, but I believe Sony will pick the legit winners from here on out), but for some reason psnprofiles is down

They claim a bad hard drive broke down.

Ocaso

Good Job on Rob

How do you amass 1000 gold trophies legitimately? How many hours total play time is that? Honest question, because it kind of blows my mind.

Top Bottom