• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Blog - Killzone Shadow Fall Insurgent Pack Out Today

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
PS Blog

- The Insurgent is a brand new multiplayer class with two unique abilities: Steal and Hack.
-The Assault, Support and Scout classes receive additional abilities, which have been balanced against the existing counters and abilities:
- These classic Killzone weapons are added for the Scout, Assault and Support classes. When dropped, other players can use them as well.
- 2 New Game Modes
- New Trophies and Challenges
- To top it off, the Insurgent Pack comes with personalization content

The Insurgent Pack will be available later today on PlayStation Store for $9,99. You can also get it for free with the Season Pass, which gives you the best value for all essential Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer DLC!

Alienous

Free Map DLC - Awesome
An entirely new class locked behind a paywall - You fucked up, Guerilla.

Really negates the good will I had regarding the maps.

MARNEY

is the game dead?

Kz multiplayer lobby
RUeLNth.jpg

Free Map DLC - Awesome

The reason maps were free is so the community wasn't splintered. Other DLC will of course still cost.

Gestault

I bought this game yesterday. Are they seriously locking a player class behind a paywall but talking up offering the free maps?

Free Map DLC - Awesome

Good will don't pay the bills, unfortunately.

I haven't played for awhile, but even when I did things seemed to be winding down in regards to their MP population. I can see KZ going up on Instant Game Collection this year, and that boost in players driving some dlc sales.

Outside of that, I don't see this going far.

I don't have a problem with classes being behind pay-walls. Why would I? I bought the game, not the cumulative efforts of their time for an arbitrary period.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I stopped playing the online multiplayer after giving it a few shots, as I'm just not finding enjoyment in it. I don't like the feel, the map environments are boring, and there's not enough game types. Downloaded the free maps, and couldn't think of a more boring environment to be shooting in.
I guess this just isn't for me. I'll stick with Battlefield and Ghosts.

Kaswa101

Am I the only one seeing REALLY low player counts recently? As in, around 100, even for TDM? Or is there some kind of region-locking thing that I'm not aware of?

I've never seen the MP this empty...

methane47

I stopped playing the online multiplayer after giving it a few shots, as I'm just not finding enjoyment in it. I don't like the feel, the map environments are boring, and there's not enough game types. Downloaded the free maps, and couldn't think of a more boring environment to be shooting in.
I guess this just isn't for me. I'll stick with Battlefield and Ghosts.

I tried MP when i first went into the game.. I didn't like it at all.. then i ran through the campaign... which i guess got me accustomed to the FOV... tried MP after that... MP was GREAT... it really is awesome i really really enjoy it...

That said... BF4 is just on another level.
I still end up spending much more time in BF4... I constantly curse because of the garbage netcode which doesn't hold a candle to the KZ netcode... but i still can't pull myself away from it.. :S

Vasili2K38

everyone plays BF4 on PS4. it is the most popular shooter on PS4.

It's truth that the numbers showed in the Warzones browser are around 1k-1,5k between all modes, but anyway the matchmaking usually works very well and I have no problems to play in full lobbies. Of course I like lower player counts (Classic Warzone FTW), and that helps. And the game plays like a blast, its very sad that a very good and balanced multiplayer is shadowed by that horrendous broken piece of shit. In my opinion Shadow Fall is extremely balanced with a very fun rock-paper-scissors philosophy with the class abilities, so I'll give GG the benefit of doubt with this new class and abilities.

And for the people claiming to the heaven about the new class, it seems like a "Prestige class" for people who has 1000 hours with the game and its bored of playing with the vanilla classes. Other games lock this kind of thing and the maps behind paywalls, with this at least I can play all the maps with my friends even if they hadn't the DLC.

DISCLAIMER: I was a big fan of Battlefield, between BC2 in PS3, and BF3 in PC and PS3 I have around 700 hours of play time. I got BF4+Premium in PC day 1, and its probably my most regretted video game purchase. My profile is in Battlelog, same name as NeoGAF user.

Maybe they should patch in aim assist so people would actually want to play it. Last time I checked this online it was a ghost town.

Maybe they should patch in aim assist so people would actually want to play it. Last time I checked this online it was a ghost town.

So, I'm not sure when they did it, but I believe there actually is some slight aim-assist in multiplayer now. Last time I played some I had a few instances of my reticle staying on an enemy as I was moving.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looking forward to seeing the M82 in action.

Free Map DLC - Awesome

The class is pretty heavily handicapped. It's more of a fun playstyle option than something that will be key to the balance of the game.

lordxar

Bought the season pass after seeing how much support this game received, especially against the low player count. I went away for a time after I platted it and look forward to my DLC tonight and a reason to play again.

Contrast their support with EA/Dice on BF who still claim they put quality first and have yet to resolve anything despite having my $50 for Premium. A measly $20 for GG season pass and excellent support is nothing. Way to go GG, your doing it right!

The active online base has been around 2000 players or less since launch.

Despite the game selling over 2 million copies.

Think about that.

I noticed that browsing the lobby the other day, under 1000 people. I just...don't understand this. Why? I get that it won't be some people's cup of tea, but that's like less than 0.1% of players who bought the game playing online. Absolutely ridiculous.

Vashetti

Banned
I noticed that browsing the lobby the other day, under 1000 people. I just...don't understand this. Why? I get that it won't be some people's cup of tea, but that's like less than 0.1% of players who bought the game playing online. Absolutely ridiculous.

It is very strange. Maybe a lot of people were soured on the single-player and traded it in without even glancing at the multiplayer.

lordxar

The active online base has been around 2000 players or less since launch.

Despite the game selling over 2 million copies.

Think about that.

I wouldn't say any of the PS4 MP games are doing extremely well. Ghosts shows about 60k players and bfstats shows about 50k or so for BF4, both are rough averages. Their not 2k but their not a huge chunk of their install base either.

Vashetti

Banned
Oh jeez...maybe not thebest time to buy in for me, lol

I imagine putting it on Plus would help a bit with the player count, but then again, the free MP weekends did fuck all, to put it bluntly.

I wouldn't say any of the PS4 MP games are doing extremely well. Ghosts shows about 60k players and bfstats shows about 50k or so for BF4, both are rough averages. Their not 2k but their not a huge chunk of their install base either.

I've been thinking about this for awhile. Could it be that Sony/Playstation fans prefer single-player experiences and MS/Xbox fans prefer multiplayer experiences?

Gestault

I imagine putting it on Plus would help a bit with the player count, but then again, the free MP weekends did fuck all, to put it bluntly.

Having a free-to-play version of the multiplayer worked reasonably well for KZ3. I'd like to see that, even being a full-priced buyer.

Gestault

Just to pull some outside info to add to that, something like Halo 4, which for 360 is considered unpopular compared to the rest of the series, still has around 20k+ players during peak hours, and like 4-6k when it's "dead."

ShaneDude

How can so few people be playing this game? I log onto Black Ops on Ps3 and its usually 10-20k people always playing.

It says the existing classes will get abilities to balance things out with the new class. Do you get those abilities without having to buy the dlc? If not then it will still be unbalanced when we come across people using the new class. Either way, having to pay for a new class is stupid for this game when it's struggling like this.

How can so few people be playing this game? I log onto Black Ops on Ps3 and its usually 10-20k people always playing.

Because it's not as fun to play as other shooters. It is completely standard in almost all ways except one, the lack of aim assist. The average person does not find it fun clumsily swinging the viewport around hitting nothing. There is a reason the fps genre on consoles did not take off until bungie figured out aim assist with halo 1. The simple fact is dual analog is a terrible control scheme for shooters that requires artificial assistance to be playable, killzone's lack of it just makes that obvious.

I was all ready to bite on this... then I logged in today and yeah, those numbers... arent... good :(
In all fairness, I've never had any trouble finding a match - it takes 15 seconds at most to find a lobby - and the numbers will probably remain consistent for quite a while.

Killzone's MP has never been exceedingly popular, but it usually has surprisingly long legs.

I think there's a bit of a chicken/egg thing going on. The playerbase is low, but it's pretty dedicated. As a new player, it's pretty likely you're going to get thrown into a game with seasoned players/near full teams. You're going to get spawn trapped and pretty much pooped on every game. Then you're going take the game out and put in something else.

The end result is that there's never a pool of inexperienced players for other newbies to mingle with and learn the mechanics and develop strategies for the objectives. If you're not able to join an experienced group who's willing to show you the ropes, you're going to get thrown in the deep end of the pool, because that's pretty much all there is. Sort of a self-perpetuating cycle. Even the free-play weeks have done nothing to change this dynamic.

Should the game go free on PS+ at some point (which I think it will) - that might finally get the population over the hump where the newbies have a sizable player pool to mingle in.

Seventy5

I bought the season pass at launch, so glad it was only $20. I just want the co op mode already. Silver lining: there is Botzone when the community completely dies. Shame, this MP is way better than CoD:G.

Top Bottom