• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Boss Teases PS5 Will Have More Multiplayer Exclusives Than PS4

thelastword

Banned
Killzone 2 mp omg was so addictive. I would put tons of hours in just to get the banner beside my name lol you know the top banners? Mp was phenomenol too bad the dlc maps weren't populated for long and everybody was just on Radec. From what I remember Killzone 2 was one of the first if not the first to have those dynamic environments in mp.
Whoever designed KZ2 MP is a certified genius... He needs to design one of Sony's new MP games for next gen. The maps, the classes, the progression system was all genius, and that chirp was just the icing on the cake. Hell, I think the weightiness to the guns made it even more appealing and rewarding when you got a kill...

It was no, "keep your finger on fire type of MP till they die", which I can never get into for some reason.

Granted, I'm not a huge multiplayer gamer, but I've never played a shooter that was so fun and fulfilling before KZ2 and even now.... That game just jived with me on so many levels... If you were on a good team with great medics, snipers and assault guys, it just flowed, and if you had two great teams playing, it was so tense till the last kill, you just don't want to be the guy who they kill to take the win....
Good times.....It was so fulfilling to have your bots reward you with some kills too......

Squads were awesome, the party system was awesome and comms on this game was great... This was just a multiplayer game way ahead of it's time......

Gamernyc78

Banned
Whoever designed KZ2 MP is a certified genius... He needs to design one of Sony's new MP games for next gen. The maps, the classes, the progression system was all genius, and that chirp was just the icing on the cake. Hell, I think the weightiness to the guns made it even more appealing and rewarding when you got a kill...

It was no, "keep your finger on fire type of MP till they die", which I can never get into for some reason.

Granted, I'm not a huge multiplayer gamer, but I've never played a shooter that was so fun and fulfilling before KZ2 and even now.... That game just jived with me on so many levels... If you were on a good team with great medics, snipers and assault guys, it just flowed, and if you had two great teams playing, it was so tense till the last kill, you just don't want to be the guy who they kill to take the win....
Good times.....It was so fulfilling to have your bots reward you with some kills too......

Squads were awesome, the party system was awesome and comms on this game was great... This was just a multiplayer game way ahead of it's time......

I Concur. The feeling of the weight was a positive for me. The chirp sound is iconic and needs to always be a part of KZ.

Shmunter

ND has proven they don't understand TPS mechancis enough to actually make a solid long-term TPS.

Killzone had 5 games, 4 by the same dev, to figure out FPS and got WORSE overtime. (arguably)

You must’ve missed this game? Naughty Dog had the Battle Royale gameplay before it was a thing, too bad they didn’t even know it...

Shmunter

2114128yojqc.gif
Killzone2Pillar.gif

Yes it’s a very different game to any other FPS out there. I always thought off it as Gears Of War FPS, with the cover system and the heft..

killzone2-1.gif

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So Killzone and Resistance might be in the cards? That would be cool. Never played them (aside from dabbling with a buddy's PS3), but these games were solid. I remember trying Killzone 3 and it was awesome. Not sure why PS gamers ditched them letting their online communities drop like a rock.

People rag on MS for shitty first party games, but the same can be said about PS. All their best games are SP Sad Dad kinds of games.

Where's all the variety from last gen...... all kinds of shooters, that PS All Stars fighting game, more racer variety like Evo games etc.....?
The Studios behind them are dead though.

KINDERFELD

Banned
You act like Sony is planning to abandon SP games to pursue the MP crowd.

They're going to expand, not replace.

I doubt its going to be local co-op games.
Online multiplayer games can generate way more money.

Once Sony starts cashing in on those online multiplayer exclusives, I don't see them investing as much resources into the development of single player games.

demigod

I'm sure people cal tell you're a known Xbox fan.

You can think it's garbage because that's your personal opinion. You can go in and out of play matches on both TLOU and UC4 online and find different people.. I just tested out before posting this message, which means you're being dishonest.

I think it's easy for me to spot people who are looking to lie rather than make a legitimate response. I find it funny to point it out. lol

So much for xbox fans never coming into a Sony thread and shitting up the place.

Pimpbaa

As long as they don't replace single player title development. I don't want Insomniac going back to Resistance or worse Guerilla going back to Killzone.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I meant those series are dead. Not sure why I said studios. Maybe I was thinking of Socom.

Funny enough I wrote same thing Daniel wrote lol then edited my comment to ".........." bcus I figured you couldn't have been talking about Insomniac or Guerilla lol common sense dictates that so I assumed what you really meant were the studios like Drive Club (Evo), Socom, etc....

DanielsM

Banned
Resistance is probably dead, Killzone probably isn't....GG has said they would like to get back to the series at some point.

Wonko_C

Man I'd be all over a Ratchet Royale with those crazy weapons and gadgets...

... Then I will never stop hearing stupid kids complaining the Groovitron was stolen from Fortnite. 😬

Stuart360

Sony have brought themselves tons of goodwill from gamers and gaming press with their great range of single player games, they wont be abandoning those i'm certain so dont worry about that. Having a few more multiplayer games can only help Playstation as well though for those that want it.

zkorejo

Please don't let ND fuck TLOU 2 factions mode like they did with uc4 with mysticals and shit.

TLOU factions mode has to be my absolute favorite tps multiplayer experience ever. I have poured in so much time into it and planning to go back to it.

The simplicity of it makes it amazing. I'm pretty sure they will screw it up by adding nonsensical shit to buff it. Like they killed Uncharted 2 mp.

Boss Mog

I definitely want more exclusives that feature online co-op campaigns. Playing Halo and Gears on 360, the ones made by Bungie and Epic, in co-op made for some really great gaming experiences. A lot of times in Uncharted and The Last Of Us, you have a CPU companion with you, it would be nice be able to play those games in co-op.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Please don't let ND fuck TLOU 2 factions mode like they did with uc4 with mysticals and shit.

TLOU factions mode has to be my absolute favorite tps multiplayer experience ever. I have poured in so much time into it and planning to go back to it.

The simplicity of it makes it amazing. I'm pretty sure they will screw it up by adding nonsensical shit to buff it. Like they killed Uncharted 2 mp.

I just hope Supply Raid stays nearly the same with more stealth mechanics. After watching TLOU Part II's gameplay trailer, I have a feeling that they might give players the ability to hide under crawl spaces.

Other than that, I wish they would add a FFA deathmatch with 8 players

Once Sony starts cashing in on those online multiplayer exclusives, I don't see them investing as much resources into the development of single player games.
You're dead wrong. They need online MP exclusives to fund SP exclusives. It's as simple as that.

Watch them adding sidecocks (Bloaters, Clickers, Runners) in TLOU2 MP, because why not? :)

Do you remember that smug idiot dev (Quentin Cobb) who defended them? Apparently he's working on a "secret" Sony project (could be TLOU2 or UC5 MP)...

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Those people I'm talking about have never tried the MP in ND games, not even ONCE! So discussing shooting mechanics is kind of a moot point, because they never tried them!

They did, in SP, which is long enough to create an opinion on the gameplay. Like I said in my post - you can take away the attention from the gameplay/controls with engaging story, scripts, set pieces and so on, but even in SP the empty shooting sections allow you to either like or dislike the mechanics.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I doubt its going to be local co-op games.
Online multiplayer games can generate way more money.

Do you honestly believe that, after seeing how God of War and Spiderman completely destroyed that line of thinking last year?

SP games aren't going anywhere. and adding MP games to that will only benefit the Playstation-community more, because it gives us a broader games library.

How can that possibly be a bad thing?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They did, in SP, which is long enough to create an opinion on the gameplay. Like I said in my post - you can take away the attention from the gameplay/controls with engaging story, scripts, set pieces and so on, but even in SP the empty shooting sections allow you to either like or dislike the mechanics.

You said Sony MP don't last longer than month, yet you offered no evidence to even suggest that. It doesn't matter how a few people in this thread think about multiplayer, what really matters is the result. If their multiplayer games are producing results, then that means they are capable of making multiplayer games that attract people.

Elios83

Complementing their single player games with a couple of multiplayer games (Socom or Warhawk style) is only going to add to the variety of their output which indeed was more balanced during the PS3 generation.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

You do know they added classic mode which is essential uncharted 2 mp when they added the uncharted 2 maps?

It's also one of the most active playlists alongside bounty hunt & survival.

KINDERFELD

Banned
Do you honestly believe that, after seeing how God of War and Spiderman completely destroyed that line of thinking last year?

SP games aren't going anywhere. and adding MP games to that will only benefit the Playstation-community more, because it gives us a broader games library.

How can that possibly be a bad thing?

I believe in the Call of Duty effect.

johntown

Banned
Only game I really care about an hope they bring back is Killzone. While the single player is not much to talk about the MP has always been fantastic! It is now one of the few MP games I would consider playing.

What exactly did they "try" in UC4 SP? Auto-aim easy mode against NPCs? Seriously?

And then they went to PvP MP and got pwned by real-life AI? Git gud bro... PvP is supposed to be more challenging that shooting dumb bots!

I've played tons of TPS games and I'll tell you with confidence that UC4 and MGSV are the cream of the crop.

Quantum Break is lackluster compared to UC4... extremely floaty aiming and lack of gameplay options.

You do know they added classic mode which is essential uncharted 2 mp when they added the uncharted 2 maps?

Classic mode is boring and broken (there's a cheat that hasn't been patched, Situational Awareness-style).

What we need is UC2/3 MP Remastered, not Classic tacked-on modes!

Regarding UC2 maps, they could have added a lot more, but they didn't (thank you for firing David Ballard). Give us a Remastered Collection a la Halo MCC!

Gamernyc78

Banned
I believe in the Call of Duty effect.

The Call of Duty Effect isn't new its over a decade old lol so I don't get the point.

You believe in discounting past Sony history than? Even when games like Halo, Gears, little Big Planet, GTA, COD, etc were raking in the money due to online, Sony always focused on their strongest aspect of gaming, single player campaigns. They will continue to do so no matter what because it is what got them to where they are now. Of course as always they will expand other areas such as mp aspects and games but thts nothing different from what they have been doing and did during Ps3 Era. No different than them expanding Psvr games as well. If anything we got great sp experiences during the ps3 Era even though Sony also did more focusing on mp aspects more so than now such as warhawk, starhawk, Mag, Kz mp still with solid sp, MLB the show, Socom, ps all stars, Gow mp with great sp, Mod Nation, Little Big Planet, etc....

Naive and foolish to even think Sony will lose sight or not focus on what made them a beloved brand. Their mp games or focus did not make them the market leader.

Last edited:
I always thought it was strange for anyone to pay for Sony online if they also had a PC or an Xbox (or unless your friends are online there, too) because the exclusive multiplayer games are non-existent on PS. Essentially, there’s no need for it.

That said, I’d love to see them bring back games like SOCOM, Twisted Metal and Warhawk.

MDSLKTR

There was a time when socom games were the top selling games in the states. It is time to bring that back. They also have a giant foothold in multiplayer vr games with Firewall. No nees to go against the big players but fill the void with small scale games.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I always thought it was strange for anyone to pay for Sony online if they also had a PC or an Xbox (or unless your friends are online there, too) because the exclusive multiplayer games are non-existent on PS. Essentially, there’s no need for it.

That said, I’d love to see them bring back games like SOCOM, Twisted Metal and Warhawk.

Non existent? Uncharted, Killzone, MLB the Show, bloodborne, SFV, Drive Club, Soon Dreams, Tlou Remastered Mp, GT Sports, and others besides third party games. A slew of VR games that I don't need to mention.

Your stretching it. But yes their focus hasn't been on FPS games.

zkorejo

I played that game and gave it a chance for months. I stopped playing after around 6-8 months and stopped following because it simply wasn't fun to me.

ZywyPL

Banned
What exactly did they "try" in UC4 SP? Auto-aim easy mode against NPCs? Seriously?

And then they went to PvP MP and got pwned by real-life AI? Git gud bro... PvP is supposed to be more challenging that shooting dumb bots!

I've played tons of TPS games and I'll tell you with confidence that UC4 and MGSV are the cream of the crop.

Quantum Break is lackluster compared to UC4... extremely floaty aiming and lack of gameplay options.

Classic mode is boring and broken (there's a cheat that hasn't been patched, Situational Awareness-style).

What we need is UC2/3 MP Remastered, not Classic tacked-on modes!

Regarding UC2 maps, they could have added a lot more, but they didn't (thank you for firing David Ballard). Give us a Remastered Collection a la Halo MCC!

Just turning the camera around already tells you if the controls are right or not, it's not black magic or quantum physics. You love UC4 and MGS MP, cool, but that's just your personal opinion, that is not shared by the whole majority of the gaming community. UC2/3 remasters? I'm not sure TBH - UC2 MP was a blast, and the Plunder mode was one of the best MP inventions ever IMO, but this game was single-handedly destroyed by its god-awful matchmaking, that took literally 20-25min. to find mere 10 people, only to put lowest level people in one team vs highest level people on the other, which was a slaughter because of that one perk that doubled the guns accuracy which low level people didn't have, hence they were leaving the matches like crazy, and incompetent ND instead of fixing their garbage matchmaking decided to punish such people for leaving those pointless matches. UC3 on the other hand had this retarded system that rewarded bad players with some killstreak-like bonuses. And looking at series like UC, KZ, Res etc., that have completely different MP with each instance clearly shows how Sony's studios are incompetent in that regard, they cannot make a good formula that simply works and they can stick with.

KINDERFELD

Banned
The Call of Duty Effect isn't new its over a decade old lol so I don't get the point.

You believe in discounting past Sony history than? Even when games like Halo, Gears, little Big Planet, GTA, COD, etc were raking in the money due to online, Sony always focused on their strongest aspect of gaming, single player campaigns. They will continue to do so no matter what because it is what got them to where they are now. Of course as always they will expand other areas such as mp aspects and games but thts nothing different from what they have been doing and did during Ps3 Era. No different than them expanding Psvr games as well. If anything we got great sp experiences during the ps3 Era even though Sony also did more focusing on mp aspects more so than now such as warhawk, starhawk, Mag, Kz mp still with solid sp, MLB the show, Socom, ps all stars, Gow mp with great sp, Mod Nation, Little Big Planet, etc....

Naive and foolish to even think Sony will lose sight or not focus on what made them a beloved brand. Their mp games or focus did not make them the market leader.

I believe once Sony sees the profits from exclusive online multiplayer games, less and less of effort and resources would be placed on single player games.

The "Call of Duty" effect I'm talking about is how the latest one does not have a campaign mode.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I played that game and gave it a chance for months. I stopped playing after around 6-8 months and stopped following because it simply wasn't fun to me.
Fair play. It's my second most played game on ps4 following destiny and tlou mp is 3rd

Top Bottom