• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience Event 2014 - 20 Years of gaming memories distilled

Amir0x

Banned
I'm definitely gonna get it on VC now

Umm, didn't notice the music, but i could hear the voices so maybe it just wasn't memorable? Honestly didn't bother me, but didn't stand out either

Would people want a rundown of all the indie games shown at the show?

Thanks for all the details.

And I would certainly love a breakdown of your indie experiences. <3 indies

viveks86

Thats the first time I heard about those audio sync issues with The Order. I really hope they get that sorted. I imagine they will, thats a pretty big issue. Other than that it sounds great! Thanks for the impressions viveks. Was very entertaining to read.

Wonderful impressions viveks, very honest and authentic.

Thanks guys! :)

Still got to write about morpheus and my last panel

So Viveks if you had to give a final rating to the overall event and experience what would you say?

And what was the "vibe" there, was the atmosphere and sense of community good?

I'll probably complete the last part before giving it a score. The vibe was like any fan conference. Everybody was super friendly and excited. Was easy to strike a conversation with anyone next to you because you shared common interests.

Yes we are my friend.

Welp!

Any indications out of the booth if Journey is coming out this year?

It didn't seem like those booths had any devs who knew anything.

I'll probably complete the last part before giving it a score. The vibe was like any fan conference. Everybody was super friendly and excited. Was easy to strike a conversation with anyone next to you because you shared common interests.

Ok, cool. I have never been to any type of convention or con for somthing so the whole thing is still kind of a mystery to me. But if they hold one again next year I will definitely be going.

Patapwn

"So... looks like a lot of the initial skepticism has now been addressed. Can't wait to play it."
"What skepticism?"
"You know, there has been very little gameplay shown, and they have all been basic tutorial sections. So people on GAF haven't really been very optimistic about it."
"GAF? What's that?"
"NeoGAF. A gaming forum. I post a lot there"
"Ohhh. So that's what Adam Boyes was joking about during the SFV announcement..."
Yeah like this hardcore gamer just remembers a completely unknown word said offhand a day ago and just plays it off.

Guy was totally banned

Street Fighter V is a megaton

Personally, I thought based on GAF's past wishes that Yakuza 4, Dead Souls and 5 all being announced for localization at the same time would be a megaton, but not megaton enough apparently. Only system wars stuff counts now :/

I also thought a huge demo of Uncharted 4 was great.

And you know the 30 minute demo of The Order everyone is praising now. Or how rad Drawn to Death looks. Or all the new Bloodborne info. Or all that Vita love.

Or one of the 45 other games they showed at the conference which all seemed great

100 games for the next show Sony :/

Yakuza 5 is a bigger megaton than SF5 for people with good taste. Best announcement of the year by far.

ClearData

Can anyone tell me what pages the Neogaf reaction to the square troll starts? I want to relive the rage and sorrow with my GAF brethren as I was at a wedding rehersal.

Don't ask why. I think I just want the catharsis.

gazele

Banned
Anyone check out Night in the Woods?

I know it was there but I can't find anything on it from google.

Yeah, I saw a bit of it, seemed strange, beautiful art and getting high off donuts in first person cat mode so that's cool i guess, haha, couldn't really tell much about the game other than that though

Personally, I thought based on GAF's past wishes that Yakuza 4, Dead Souls and 5 all being announced for localization at the same time would be a megaton, but not megaton enough apparently. Only system wars stuff counts now :/

And you know the 30 minute demo of The Order everyone is praising now. Or how rad Drawn to Death looks. Or all the new Bloodborne info. Or all that Vita love.

Or one of the 45 other games they showed at the conference which all seemed great

It was a good show. Plenty of games. Some may not like what they're offering, but at least it's PS4's not lacking in content.

I saw a quick sizzle reel on the twitch stream and it showed what looked to be a first person game with a guy holding a caveman type hammer/axe. Was that a thing or did I see it wrong? Reminded me of Rust anyways.

BadWolf

The only bummers were that the megaton leaked early and fuck Square Enix.

What would I wouldn't give to have seen gaf's reaction to the SFV announcement had it not leaked.

brandtron8000

Neo Member
Had a blast in Vegas this weekend! Pretty much got to try everything I wanted except The Orde, which I only bailed on for my Morpheus appointment.

Drawn to Death was my surprise hit of the show. Very very promising.

Also managed to get my DS4 signed by:

Adam Boyes and Shawn Layden

VdLSl37.jpg

and @Yosp himself.

qnaLOmz.jpg

v1lla21

Had a blast in Vegas this weekend! Pretty much got to try everything I wanted except The Orde, which I only bailed on for my Morpheus appointment.

http://i.imgur.com/VdLSl37.jpg[/MG]

and @Yosp himself.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qnaLOmz.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

That is amazing!!!!
I will for sure not miss out next year! I'll be 21 so I'll be able to do other things as well :D

Man, reading Vivek's posts made me so damn happy. Amazing coverage Vivek.

GnawtyDog

Banned

VdLSl37.jpg

and @Yosp himself.

qnaLOmz.jpg

Very nice.

Verendus

Banned
I know you all like your hype trains and they seem to be a huge hit these days, so I kind of made another one of my own. It's a little different so please understand. I call it the Knack Train.

We are not too far away from the rise of the Knack army now. December 25th is only two weeks away, and our bet finally ends. Such exciting times, let me tell you.

On a side note, any official impressions thread for those who went to the event? I can't find one. I'm really curious to see what people who attended thought, and what aspects they liked or didn't like. Stuff like viveks86 impressions, which are great by the way.

Loudninja

I know you all like your hype trains and they seem to be a huge hit these days, so I kind of made another one of my own. It's a little different so please understand. I call it the Knack Train.

We are not too far away from the rise of the Knack army now. December 25th is only two weeks away, and our bet finally ends. Such exciting times, let me tell you.

On a side note, any official impressions thread for those who went to the event? I can't find one. I'm really curious to see what people who attended thought, and what aspects they liked or didn't like. Stuff like viveks86 impressions, which are great by the way.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946714

CvqHr5G.jpg

giphy.gif

So will you spare us with those knack avats...Because of that FF7 troll, we already have deep wounds

Verendus

Banned
Knack will help heal those wounds. I'm just counting the days until the end now. Most folks are screwed anyway, but I think that is obvious by this stage. I'll be going with the avatar Ricky_R provided, which is on adequate display in the Knack Train.

LevelNth

Banned
I just watched some snippets of the keynote now, and one of the devs from Sony Santa Monica mentioned an old Sony franchise returning, but afterwards I couldn't tell which one she meant.

Was it just supposed to be Fat Princess? That would be strange... Isn't that series brand new almost? A only a single title deep?

I just watched some snippets of the keynote now, and one of the devs from Sony Santa Monica mentioned an old Sony franchise returning, but afterwards I couldn't tell which one she meant.

Was it just supposed to be Fat Princess? That would be strange... Isn't that series brand new almost? A only a single title deep?

they later accidently confirmed a new God of War game.

Knack will help heal those wounds. I'm just counting the days until the end now. Most folks are screwed anyway, but I think that is obvious by this stage. I'll be going with the avatar Ricky_R provided, which is on adequate display in the Knack Train.

What was the list of options again?

gazele

Banned
share and post, bro

need to edit it, 4000 words is probably too much to post on GAF

Highlights:

YIIK: by ACKK Studios, wow first real surprise of the show, completely blown away
Turn based strategy game, you see and can avoid enemies in the overworld, which also has platforming and puzzles. Really cool 3D minimalist art style, which might turn some people off but I loved, only played as one character but I think theres around 10 in the game, really unique attacks, with some active components, kind of like costume quest
Overall: Awesome, turn-based RPG goodness

Earth Night: By Cleaversoft, second big surprise of the show for me, awesome music, art style
Endless runner, they call it a rogue-like runner, but they have some really cool mechanics, you start off by sky diving and getting a behind the back top-down look that is awesome, then you move around to land on different colored dragons, you run along their backs where the point is to jump on enemies and stay of the dragon as much as you can to build your combo, felt a lot like tiny wings to me, then you get to the end of the dragon and can kill it by stabbing it in the eye, which gets you a ton of points, and there are three eggs on each dragon that make it easier to kill, may be a little simple for PS4 but would be amazing on iOS and I liked having it on the big screen, had never heard of it before, only 2 different characters, but they play completely differently
Overall: Dragon skydiving endless runner, great surprise, one of my favs

Starwhal: Holy Crap, Game of the Show for me. I don’t even like local multiplayer games all that much and don’t really have people to play it with, but my god, this game is amazing. It’s out now on Steam so go buy if you can play with more than one person in that setup. You play as a narwhal and you have a heart on your belly, the goal is to hit the other player’s heart with your tusk before they hit yours. The game does an awesome thing where it slows down just as one person is about to hit the heart and makes for a really tense, fun couple of seconds. There’s a ton of strategy as well as its not super simple to control the narwhal. Some really funny in-joke costumes (Blue shell, Star Wars, etc.) Very tron-like art style. Sooo good, have to buy when it comes out.
Overall: Everyone must buy this, local multiplayer, frantic, but strategic, so so good

The Witness: Retried Edition

When I returned to the show floor, I went straight to The Witness booth. The queue was just as long as it was before, but I was going to go all the way this time. I probably waited for 45 minutes since people took their own sweet time to play the game. When I did get my chance, I almost instantly fell in love with it. The vibrant art style, non existent HUD and minimalist design immediately resonated with me. The game is a hybrid of exploration and line drawing puzzles. The line drawing puzzles are the locks that you need to open to get to the next area. The clues can be anywhere. The earlier puzzles had clues within the puzzle itself, but after the first set of tutorial puzzles, I unlocked a door that opened up the whole island for exploration. And then the puzzles eventually start requiring you to use environmental clues around you, like the shape of the branches on a tree, or the reflections in the water, and none of those are explicitly spelt out to you. You reach a point where there is no way you can brute force the puzzle as the patterns become very cryptic and would reject anything you throw at it (unless you get REALLY lucky). And the environmental clues aren't all the obvious so you really need to pay attention. Was quite challenging and I enjoyed every bit of it. After such a long day, my brain got fried after a solid 30 minutes of play. I could've gone all night if they'd allow me to relax a bit and come back. The game still requires some polishing, like clipping issues, aliasing etc. There were some noticeable drops in framerate as well, but it seemed to hold 60 for the most part. Had a little chat with the devs after and we discussed the rationale behind some of the puzzles, themes in each area, number of puzzles (660 or so), certain dynamic puzzles, others that aren't based on line drawing panels, as well as the story (there is one). Apparently you will discover it through audio logs scattered around, which helps you get a sense of how the island came to be and what you are doing there. This continues to be one of my most wanted games, but their release window is still "whenever it's ready next year". It's like they have an unlimited budget to keep it in perpetual almost-completedness. Grrr…
Hnggg

And you got to chat with Blow? Jealous.

Verendus

Banned
It's time to end the bet. There are still four days left, but I don't think anyone minds and I won't have time to do this next week.

These were the bet choices (link to original post):

a) SCEE announces a first party exclusive to be released in 2015, which is not a re-master.
b) SCEA announces a first party exclusive to be released in 2015, which is not a re-master.
c) SCEJ/A announces a first party exclusive to be released in 2015, which is not a re-master.
d) SCE announces no new PS4 exclusives, but one or more re-masters to be released in 2015.
e) SCE announces no exclusives at all.
f) A new exclusive from Capcom is announced for PS4.
g) Next generation Mass Effect is unveiled (footage, title etc.).
h) Street Fighter is announced as an exclusive to PS4.
i) Rockstar unveils their next generation game.
j) Valve announces an exclusive for PS4.
k) Knack 2 is announced.
l) A new IP by a third party is announced.
m) FFVII remake is announced.

Those who picked options b, f, and h (Street Figher/Capcom exclusive and Kill Strain in 2015) are clear. There were a total of 108 participants, and 27 of you don't have to wear the avatar, with the remaining 81 having chosen poorly. I learned the hard way today that I can't PM 80 of you at once. True effort until the end.

List of those who have to wear the avatar, in alphabetical order:

_Ryo_
Amvient
Appollowexx
Azdoune
badgerfan20945
BigSoftieFF
Bunta
Caedmon
Callibretto
castaction
Chobel
ConfusedGamer
crazyprac
Cre8
CreeperBlocks
Crimson_Gold
dddooozzz9
desmax
donutzsick
Dr Amazon MD
Dragon Puncher
dragonbane
EuropeOG
EVIL
Falnabol
farmerboy
FinalStageBoss
Fox_Mulder
GeoramA
GloriousBagel
GnawtyDog
Gooch: The Destroyer
Grindlefly
GuiltyBystander
H4r4kiri
hohoXD123
Hoje0308
Hydrargyrus
IAmRandom31
iceatcs
jimbobsmells
Jomjom
JuanLatino
Kaswa101
Koozek
lordfroakie
Magic Mushroom
Man-is-Obsolete
Mass_Pincup
mrklaw
Naughty_Doge
Ombala
Psycho_Mantis
R_Deckard
Rajang
Reveirg
Rosur
Savantcore
schaft0620
sense
serversurfer
Skeff
SteelAlchemist
Tagg9
The Last One
TheHater
Triggerhappytel
Turkoop
twisted h3art
valkillmore
VertPin
Weeaboosuke
WooHooAlex
Wrynnax
Xpliskin
Y2Kev
yurinka

Avatar bet duration was originally four months, but I'm going to shorten it since it seems weird to have it go beyond April to me. December 25th until April 1st next year looks good so we'll go with that.

This is the avatar you all have to wear (admirably provided by Ricky_R):

kx6HJNs.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if 80 people are going to do this, it'll be difficult to recognise people from avatars.

Do you think you'd let us edit in a little version of our previous avatar in the corner of this one?

Top Bottom