• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has committed to lowering its carbon footprint with PS5.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Imagine thinking that being a bit more eco-friendly is a bad thing and some "far left/woke" practice.

Also when it comes to millions of consoles, practices like this *do* have a noticeable impact. So many ignorant people trying desperately to spin this into something bad and it is just... sad. There is plenty to shit on Sony for, this isn't one of them.

TacosNSalsa

To take it an extra step they should start packaging it with gift cards to steakhouses so you can help cull the earth of the true threat to the climate.... gassy cows

Caring about the climate is "woke" now? Is this a part of that stupid mindset that caring about anything, being anything other than utterly blasé in regards to everything other than yourself is "woke"?

Not necessarily, but there are definitely think-tanks, corporations, and research firms that are twisting data related to climate change to push their own initiatives for tech, power and resource consolidation. There's a lot they don't talk about honestly or put out with half-truths.

You'll have to forgive us if we think a corporation that's been trending more and more SJW since relocating their gaming division head to California, might be playing into some of that with mention of a feature literally 99% of gamers have never necessarily cared about.

Phil Spencer's "We eat monsters for breakfast" statement will inevitably backfire on Microsoft for sounding backwards in this age of global climate change.

Last edited:

FranXico

You'll have to forgive us if we think a corporation that's been trending more and more SJW since relocating their gaming division head to California, might be playing into some of that with mention of a feature literally 99% of gamers have never necessarily cared about.
Good thing no other corporations are turning "woke"!
3398583-trailer_gears5_cinematic_20180610.jpg

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Why bother with keeping the rest mode if boot is rumored to be less than 10 seconds?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why bother with keeping the rest mode if boot is rumored to be less than 10 seconds?

Suspend feature in games so you can pick up where you left off. Hopefully there are better save states designed around these SSD setups next-gen to mirror retro games that include them.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
The energy consumption it saves and the cost on the energy bill will both be negligible.

If Sony can make it run more efficiently without sacrificing anything on the performance side, great. But this is obviously not about that, this is just cheap pandering.

Is this a selling point for me? No.

bobone

Good thing no other corporations are turning "woke"!

At this point it is easier to count the companies that HAVN'T gone woke.

We are in the age of pandering. None of this matters; None of us will notice a difference on our electric bill.
So its pointless marketing that only appeals to a tiny segment of the market. (most likely the segment that runs and writes for IGN, gamespot, kotaku, etc)

DanielsM

Banned
Saving a little electricity (although its so little its basically meaningless) is good, but no reason to make a new article out of it. Tacking on carbontardism is just silly.

Miles708

Are they now going to sell games in cardboard boxes ? If we are talking about ecology they should target colossal amount of plastic produced by games distribution.
Don't server farms cause massive amount of pollution? Carboard boxes pollutes but you produce them only once, servers on the other hand must be up 24/7/365

DanielsM

Banned
Well, its called silly pandering. I mean they're building machines that basically burn jet fuel under a TV and they save a few extra watts for stuff that can easily be shutdown completely.

Its not about being mad, more like pointing out the obvious silliness. (I actually get a good laugh at all this silly millennial pandering)

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
They could build and assemble consoles in each country where they are sold. That would help a lot.

Consoles sold in Japan would be built in Japan, consoles sold in the US, would be built in the US, etc

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
I can count the times I've left my console suspended. Generally, is when I switch my Hard Drive and have to download a lot of games that I didn't back up or when I have a lot of downloads to do in one go.

Top Bottom