• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation is sponsoring London Pride 2017 (24th June - 9th July)

NHX7epG.jpg

This was sold on an auction for charity once in connection with Stockholm pride

I really want it

SenkiDala

Supporting LGBT is not political, it's respect for other humans where you agree with the idea or not. We are all humans on one planet and should be working together not excluding and killing each other. Good on Sony and all other companies that show support. The bigots will not win, love will.

I absolutly agree, but in their point of view, they think that being gay is same than being a pedophile or a zoophile or those kind of shit... For them it's "against nature".

Glad Sony is doing so, losing those "hey gay is a sin" assholes is a pleasure to be honest.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Don't get your hopes up, not one of those asshole bros will buy less games because of this. They'll be ranting on twitter for a day or two and be done with it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Normally I'd be a bit cynical over the corporate sponsorship over any sort of movement, but given the political and social climate we're currently in, I hope more companies aggressively sponsor events that are targeted towards any sort of minority. I mean, if the people essentially looking to cash in can see that bigotry is stupid, then surely so can everyone else.

I guess that was still a cynical take, but its a good move by Sony.

PSKnown

Banned
Glad to see PlayStation being a trailblazer and being the only one of the 3 console makers to support the LGBT community.

Terrell

Don't get your hopes up, not one of those asshole bros will buy less games because of this. They'll be ranting on twitter for a day or two and be done with it.

Yeah, a lot of gamers say they have principles, but if it means not playing certain games, it ends up being just talk.

Normally I'd be a bit cynical over the corporate sponsorship over any sort of movement, but given the political and social climate we're currently in, I hope more companies aggressively sponsor events that are targeted towards any sort of minority. I mean, if the people essentially looking to cash in can see that bigotry is stupid, then surely so can everyone else.

I guess that was still a cynical take, but its a good move by Sony.

It's not so cynical. There's been a lot of talk and writing and discussion about how Pride especially has become less about the values it stood for and more about an avenue for free/cheap advertising to the QUILTBAG (Queer, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bisexual, Asexual, and Gay) community, especially in the modern climate where you could lose anywhere from 2-10% of your customers if your competitor is seen as more inclusive to the community than you are.

Chrisdk

Glad to see PlayStation being a trailblazer and being the only one of the 3 console makers to support the LGBT community.

Not to make it into a console war thing, but Microsoft is probably one of the most LGBT friendly companies out there. They have supported the LGBT community for a long time and the parades too. I know Microsoft is sponsoring the parade in Copenhagen where i am from. Also they created Gleam that was a pretty big thing to do.

zelas

I am currently torn between complaining about the sanitisation and corporatisation of pride and my desire for free rainbow themed PlayStation swag.

Fuck it, I hope I can score a t-shirt or something! And this will piss off a lot of shitty people. Let's call this a win.
Come on now. The sentiments behind Pride aren't something to look upon as if they're an indie band.

Good on 'em! We need more high profile support of progressive social issues in light of the... *sigh* ...incomparable political regressivism coming from the American White House.

That's nice :)

Serious question, is Japan as progressed in terms of homosexuality as say Europe?

Have you played Persona 5?

EmiPrime

What does that first link have to do with what we are talking about?

Is this a serious question? Look at their ribbons.

Come on now. The sentiments behind Pride aren't something to look upon as if they're an indie band.

Whatever dude. For many pride is still a protest not a party with corporate sponsors (especially tax dodging multi-nationals like Starbucks and Vodafone) and police marching too.

Chrisdk

Is this a serious question? Look at their ribbons.

Whatever dude. For many pride is still a protest not a party with corporate sponsors (especially tax dodging multi-nationals like Starbucks and Vodafone) and police marching too.

I don't think the Pride Parade is a protest, at least not where i am from.

Razmos

This is awesome.

I wish everyone else would just catch up with equality already. As a gay person I'm feeling very uncomfortable with the world recently and it's making me quite depressed.

This is awesome.

I wish everyone else would just catch up with equality already. As a gay person I'm feeling very uncomfortable with the world recently and it's making me quite depressed.

I'm on the same boat to the point I just dropped any non-virtual social interactions with people at all, it's not worth the pain I have to endure.

Budi

Good job Sony!

Hate to see console wars smoldering in this thread though. The event isn't about games, it's not a competition.

Terrell

More than lip service? If you support someone only when it's convenient then you're not actually being supportive.

What constitutes "more than lip service"? For example, does promoting their brand - essentially advertising - at Pride really constitute "more than lip service"?

Also, just to follow through on this thought, considering none of the platform holders (or publishers for that matter) did anything, lip service or otherwise, about GamerGate when it was poisoning every well, does that indicate that they don't support women or minorities?

It's important to know where the threshold is before we can really identify if it's been crossed in either direction.

Lady Gaia

What constitutes "more than lip service"? For example, does promoting their brand - essentially advertising - at Pride really constitute "more than lip service"?

Not if your company is only sharing the message with an LGBT audience (like all the resorts that advertise in gay-themed publications but wouldn't dare to put a same sex couple in a national ad.) When you're broadcasting to the world that you're supportive that certainly helps. When you put positive LGBT characters and themes in your products that helps. Sony has definitely taken some risks here, and I applaud them for it.

Top Bottom