• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Japan: Ghost of Tsushima sales are exceeding expectations in Japan; out of stock at some stores, please consider digital version

This is confirmation that I shouldn't be offended by supposedly weird animation in the game.

While I have seen some complaints about lack of pause during conversation as is Japanese culture, I think for most part its being accepted as close to authentic.

Epic game. Hopefully a sequal is coming soon set in mainland Japan or something.

Yep, the Mongols invaded Iki island (smaller island next to Tsushima) shortly afterwards, and then attempted to invade mainland Japan.

The Samurai all allied together and fought them on the beaches (10K warriors iirc) but were defeated by the Mongols who were a mix of Mongol cavalry elite and Chinese/Korean levies. Then, however, a stroke of luck - a storm, or Tsunami struck, wrecking a vast number of the Mongol ships, killing thousands and forcing them to retreat. Hence the word 'kamikaze', which translates into 'divine wind' because of this intervention from nature that stopped a belligerent super power subjugating the whole of Japan (Mongols sent a second invasion force that was stopped by storms too).

So kamikaze was apt during WW2 as it was a tactic against an invading foreign super power, but the origins of the phrase is actually from the Mongol era.

ranmafan

It’s definitely gotten a lot of love here in Japan. I checked a local game store on the way home today in my area of Japan and while they had copies in that store (not too surprising considering where I live) it’s obvious it’s been selling well from what I’ve seen since release last week. It’s front and center in the store as you walk in and the talk everywhere game wise is about it. Great to see it doing so well here, so much deserved. Fantastic game.

Eliciel

Epic game. Hopefully a sequal is coming soon set in mainland Japan or something.
Exactly, no surprise to me Japan likes it, basically everybody should.
Imagine SuckerPunch taking this to the next level, thinking about improvements and using the PS5 for GoT 2...., sky is the limit!
Really happy that they have created this new IP and I am loving it.

This game will outsell Druckman's game

I concur. The game is really a gamer's game 100%. Especially in the current environment of games being released currently (not a lot to choose from tbh) it will really attract the masses more and more. Some people maybe also only buy after good scores happened, after mid-term impressions arrived and after price settled at rather $40-50. GoT will have long legs in sales figures I believe.

Last edited:
Maybe the success in Japan will lead to fixes to lipsynch or a native japanese cast in a sequel.
Maybe they might, but historically Japan never cared very much about lip synching. It is sometimes done, but usually the lips were done before they added the voices. That's how anime is made in any case. Western influence was what caused lip synching in the rare cases where it occurred.

Shantae

Banned
It's kinda been selling out here in the US too in Wisconsin. I've thought about picking it up the past couple days, but all Wal-Marts are sold out...most Best Buys, except one store that's 40 miles away is out of stock....gamestop doesn't have any listed at any of the stores nearby either. There's 1 target near by that might have them in stock, and so I'll check it out when they open.

Kokoloko85

Japanese market needs igniting beyond portable games lol. So this is good news.

Make a sequel instead of infamous 3.
Invest more. Better side quests, more varied mission structure. Improve combat a bit And open world. You’ll have a stellar sequel

GreyHorace

AWESOME. I was afraid at how the Japanese would react to an American developer making a AAA samurai game. But it looks like they love it. Awesome.

Sony, it seems, underestimate demand in general, game have shortages on the west too. Glad for SP.
Sony made the smart decision to service customers who are not being supplied by third party developers. I am glad to hear that Japanese gamers approve, as console gaming there are obviously not as large as they used to be. That their demand was under estimated in Japan by Sony is certainly interesting.

zombrex

Good to see and it should not be surprising considering the lack of AAA Japanese themed games. That is a market that has been heavily neglected despite obvious demand.
And interestingly the opposite of Last of Us 2 in which Japan has been awash with too much stock leading to huge price drops.

Good to see and it should not be surprising considering the lack of AAA Japanese themed games. That is a market that has been heavily neglected despite obvious demand.
And interestingly the opposite of Last of Us 2 in which Japan has been awash with too much stock leading to huge price drops.
Nioh 1&2, Sekiro, Persona 5....not that bad but should be more, yes.

Wonko_C

AWESOME. I was afraid at how the Japanese would react to an American developer making a AAA samurai game. But it looks like they love it. Awesome.
It shows the Japanese are not as nationalistic as they appear. You just have to sell them stuff that appeals to them.

Hopefully Xbox takes notes so we all can get more games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, and for them to finally crack the market.

MastaKiiLA

It shows the Japanese are not as nationalistic as they appear. You just have to sell them stuff that appeals to them.

Hopefully Xbox takes notes so we all can get more games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, and for them to finally crack the market.
MS has no chance in Asia. They are pretty much non-existent over here. I don't know if they need to worry about ever trying to make a dent here, because it's just not going to happen. Playstation is the next-biggest thing to mobile games. I've never seen a single MS ad anywhere in SEA. OTOH, mobile game ads are everywhere, with some PS stuff from time to time. I imagine this is a similar trend everywhere else on the continent.

They won't be cracking anything. Microsoft's next gen strategy basically looks like they checked where the industry was heading in Japan and then decided to do the complete opposite of that. The same is arguably true for Sony, but unlike Microsoft they have plenty of residual popularity to coast on for another generation or two at least.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've really been enjoying it and the comments I've seen on Japanese sites have been basically universal praise. Well deserved.

Top Bottom