• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Move Thread: It Only Does Everything

Loudninja said:
Huh gave you that idea?

Ape Escape games have always been excellent platformers. Move could only make it better (like it did with Mario), so why not do it properly instead of some lame mini-game collection?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
MrPliskin said:
What? No, anyone who owns RE5 Gold gets the update free, which is what he asked, at least that's what I thought he was asking. If he had to go get the game now because the patch was out, or wait until it was released, and if said patch was free.

Yeah, correctamundo. I know only Gold edition gets the Move patch, but all I wanted to know was if the patch was free or horsearmoured pack in PSN, or should I instead wait for the Move Edition which is coming soon too anyways. I saw a lot of comments of people playing RE5 Move edition so I was just wondering about that...
Standard edition was just mentioned because of coop with my friends who don't yet want to get Move. Confusion matrix trophy achieved. ;)
(At least one of them pessimists friends was pleasantly surprised by the sensitivity, Augmented Reality and Move's accuracy. He will cave in eventually when more games arrive...muahahahahaaa!)

Just tried The Shoot and i damn liked it a lot! I would buy tomorrow but the damn thing is released in October. Whyyyyyy!?

Bradach

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ape Escape games have always been excellent platformers. Move could only make it better (like it did with Mario), so why not do it properly instead of some lame mini-game collection?
I believe there are a couple of ape escape games in development at the moment. The mini game one and a more traditional one.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Kinitari said:
SNIP..... I get the wands and nunchucks (or whatever name I'm supposed to call them by) at a pretty hefty discount, so I need some convincing.

GAF convince, me, what would I (an avid RPG and growing FPS lover) want with wands? And with me, my girlfriend and my roommate in the household, I would really like some sort of... Co-op experience as well. Give me some ideas while I read over the OP!

You get them dirt cheap anyways, so buy two. FPS power of the Move is somewhat untested, but the accuracy is there, trust me. I expect developers start implementing Move support when they realize how accurate this thing really is. So improving FPS performance with magic wands is nice.
I don't know what kind of gamer your girl is but at least Move offers more co-op gaming than usual PS3 full price things.
Buy them. I did not regret after my short runs with this thingy.

distrbnce

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Really Sony, really?

I was convinced this would be their answer to Mario Galaxy. Instead we get this mini-game waggle crap (that we already had two mediocre instalments of on PSP).

Wouldn't that sort of game be better accommodated by DS3 anyway?

Bradach said:
I believe there are a couple of ape escape games in development at the moment. The mini game one and a more traditional one.

Thank god.

distrbnce said:
Wouldn't that sort of game be better accommodated by DS3 anyway?

I would prefer it if it used Move, like a Nintendo game. DS3 could always be an option.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am fucking SWEATING atm. Crazy how fucking good this is. Now why are games 50 bucks?

Edit: no game I've tried of all the demos I got on the disc requires the navigator... any game I can play right now that requires it? It's been a waste of money atm.

IonicSnake said:
A real Ape Escape game would be perfect with the Move.

Yeah, movement = DS3/navi and then using the tools 1:1 with the Move controller. Though isn't there a second Ape Escape game that wasn't shown yet? (edit: ah ok, so there will be a "normal" game as well)

Yoshichan said:
Edit: no game I've tried of all the demos I got on the disc requires the navigator... any game I can play right now that requires it? It's been a waste of money atm.

It was a waste of money anyway but you can try the Heavy Rain Move demo.

SolidusDave said:
Yeah, movement = DS3/navi and then using the tools 1:1 with the Move controller. Though isn't there a second Ape Escape game that wasn't shown yet? (edit: ah ok, so there will be a "normal" game as well)

That's what I'm hearing, I have no idea though.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Yoshichan said:
I am fucking SWEATING atm. Crazy how fucking good this is. Now why are games 50 bucks?

So, you didn't read the numerous posts about just using the DS3? I would've gone that method prior to grabbing the navi controller.

distrbnce

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Thank god.

I would prefer it if it used Move, like a Nintendo game. DS3 could always be an option.

Well, I would like to see a Move-designed Ape Escape proper, but not an
ape
of SMG2

Ape Escape was able to show off the strengths of the DualShock "Analog Controller", and I agree it's a missed nostalgia opportunity to not use it to highlight the Move's strengths as well.

Kinda like how they always use SSHD to show off new PS3 features, or Ducks in bathtubs.

Xater

Yoshichan said:

RUSE and RE5: Gold

I bought Tumble and yeah this is a perfectly fine game. If you factor in that it's just ten bucks I can't complain about it. Will probably also be used alot for casual multiplayer fun.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zanboo said:
So, you didn't read the numerous posts about just using the DS3? I would've gone that method prior to grabbing the navi controller.
No, I did what everyone else besides forum monkeys do when they buy products. They go to the store and buy them.

Anyways, holding a DS3 and Move is something I tried a couple of weeks ago. It's like holding my dick in my left hand while trying to navigate with my right. It doesn't work and after 10 minutes I want to kill myself.

The navigator feels perfect in my hand, I guess not many games supports it right now but it will most likely be top tier accessory once the real deal games starts rolling out aka KZ3.

distrbnce said:
Well, I would like to see a Move-designed Ape Escape proper, but not an
ape
of SMG2

Ape Escape was able to show off the strengths of the DualShock "Analog Controller", and I agree it's a missed nostalgia opportunity to not use it to highlight the Move's strengths as well.

Kinda like how they always use SSHD to show off new PS3 features, or Ducks in bathtubs.

The bolded is what I fully expected to happen. Even worse considering it's, you know... the 15th anniversary of PlayStation and all :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my move, some quick impressions:

Echochrome: nice enough use of the pointer as a torch, but I never really got on with the first one, was a little too abstract for me much beyond the tutorial levels, so I won't buy the full game. Nothing spectacular in terms of motion tracking etc

Beat Sketcher: No idea what the point of this is, other than doodling on a video image of you. Got annoyed quite quickly as the tracking seemed to be literally the position of the move ball. So you had to move the controller really far to get to the extremes of the screen (start the party had a little of this).

Sports Champions: Only one hole of disc golf which was disappointing. Controls were quite nice but the demo wasn't long enough to get a real feel for it. Oddly it says to stand with your leading shoulder towards the screen, but then if you reach back for a full throw it loses sight of the Move and complains. You'd have thought they'd have noticed that, and could probably have relied on the gyro/accelerometers anyway.
Table tennis was surprisingly fun, and some nice 1:1 after serving. Probably not my cup of tea though. May pick the game up when its a little cheaper, as I'm curious about the archery.

Start the party: Got the full game of this and its a little meh. Worth it from my tech-geek perspective to see how it maps the game's items to your move on the video feed, which was really impressive. Quite liked the fan & helicopter levels, the twisting is nicely tracked. Not so keen on the fish popping level, wasn't sure how well it was tracking my depth, but that might be as I was too far away, it complained a few times. Will experiment. Overall it'll probably be a fun distraction for the kids, but I'll want something that offers more.

The Shoot: Really enjoyed this, probably the surprise hit of the demos for me as I wasn't expecting much. The tracking was fast and seemed accurate, although I did notice it losing tracking on the train level. After pumping the move up and down to propel your wagon, when I pointed back to the screen the cursor tended to be off to the left a little.
Overall though it was a nice first feel for a lightgun type game. I'll try and pick up a gun shell at the weekend to see if that improves the feel even more. Will probably pick the full game up, depending how close to Time Crisis its released.

Eyepet: Had a major problem trying to calibrate where the floor was. Did it in the end but the 'floor' ended up in the middle of the air somewhere. Also we had to point the camera down more than with the other games which was a bit fiddly. The augmented reality is 1000x better with the move than with the card and actually makes the game a relative pleasure to play. This also has 3D support but I'll probably not use it again, especially as my younger kids play it - it isn't particularly effective or add anything to the game.

Tumble: Fantastic. Looks great, the controls offer real finesse, and the stereoscopic 3D is effective. Playing through the tutorial it was second nature to put the blocks through the hoops. My only gripes are gameplay ones rather than tech. I don't like how the blocks snap to the move - if I want to jiggle a block that has already been put in a tower, I'd prefer for my move to snap to the block. Several times my tower has collapsed as it basically rips the block out. Also, on the levels where you get blocks dispensed out of little circles on the right, you can't seem to get a preview either of the size, or the materials, whereas you can find out the materials when the block is on the floor by pointing at it. Overall though definitely the pick of the release titles for me.

Not tried TV Superstars demo or Hustle Kings yet, will try and get to them over the weekend.

Generally I'm going to have to spend some time working out the sweet spot for distance. A lot of the games seemed to want me to be closer - I was sitting about 10ft away and sometimes Start the Party would ask me to come closer.

MrPliskin

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Really Sony, really?

I was convinced this would be their answer to Mario Galaxy. Instead we get this mini-game waggle crap (that we already had two mediocre instalments of on PSP).

Aren't there two Ape Escape titles in development?

@mrklaw - Nice impressions.

I just went and paid for 2 Move's and Sports Champions myself as that title is jumping out at me. Unfortunately will have to wait until tomorrow to get the goods when the "official US release date" happens.

I'm curious. for the US PSN, what are the demos I can download now that will showcase the Move? I've seen quite a bit of mentions of demos and such but then see EUR, or on a disk, or not in the states, or not in the UK, etc ...

Does the PSN have a section for Move only games?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So should I be there when the store opens? What's the demand on this like? Kmart has a damn good deal so I'm headed there.

msdstc said:
So should I be there when the store opens? What's the demand on this like? Kmart has a damn good deal so I'm headed there.

I wouldn't worry about shortages unless your only option is a Gamestop in a small town or something. Almost every retailer should have these available.

CRD90 said:

Uh oh, looks like creepy-baby Sony PR is back! Say no to 2006, say yes to 2010!

I like what I have seen so far from Move, but Sony really do need some 3rd parties to come forward with announcements aimed more towards the 'core' gamer. There'll be plenty of casual games, but they need more titles like Sorcery to come from 3rd parties.

As it stands at the moment, out of the people buying Move, a sizable proportion of them are hardcore gamers who likely already have PS3's and a penchant for buying many games a year. I like that established franchises have optional Move support, but I also want some new IP focused around Move to come forward, or maybe even some franchises of old brought back to life with Move.

Lets hope OPM are right and that more publishers have games for Move in development.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fox1304 said:
If you're interested, RE5:Gold is 12£ @ Zavvi.

thats where I ordered it from. When it came, it had 'move compatible' on the box, so I'm assuming it doesn't need patching to support it?

Yoshichan

Wait, no patching if I buy the Move Edition... but how can I patch the original game with Move support?

Mrbob

Yoshichan said:
Wait, no patching if I buy the Move Edition... but how can I patch the original game with Move support?

For RE5? You can't. Only the Gold edition is Move compatible. Capcom wants to try and make some money off of the patch I guess.

Ugh, fucking Royal Mail >:| Had shipping confirmation yesterday of the Starter Pack, Nav Controller and Sports Champions. Postman brought the Nav and Sports Champions this morning but no Starter Pack (the most important part!) :(

Zutroy

spats said:
Looks like portfolio filler. Propably not commissioned by Sony.
Apparently it's a viral commissioned by Sony, but not 'officially' so they don't get in trouble from Nintendo.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Is the RE5 Gold update automatic when you boot it up? If so, I guess the Japan region game doesn't have it yet :/

Damn. No movetastic shooting for me tomorrow. I guess it makes sense, they won't have Moves until next month...

A.R.K

260fpxd.jpg

Still showing shipping soon, you better not fuck up amazon!!!! What am I gonna do with the game w/o the Move!! Any one else got theirs shipped from Amazon?

cakefoo

Yoshichan said:
No, I did what everyone else besides forum monkeys do when they buy products. They go to the store and buy them.

Anyways, holding a DS3 and Move is something I tried a couple of weeks ago. It's like holding my dick in my left hand while trying to navigate with my right. It doesn't work and after 10 minutes I want to kill myself.
I'm guessing you were standing, holding the DS3 out in midair with nothing to counterbalance it. Sit down and rest it in your lap.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
A.R.K said:
260fpxd.jpg

Still showing shipping soon, you better not fuck up amazon!!!! What am I gonna do with the game w/o the Move!! Any one else got theirs shipped from Amazon?

I'm in the same situation with Amazon right now, except they've shipped the Move but no games :lol

Slaylock

A.R.K said:
You don't need to worry. Since the Move stuff is all Release Day Delivery, you'll get everything tomorrow.

Jetku

6zufqo.png

Mine has been shipped since ~2pm. It only has to go from Delaware to North Jersey.. Hope it comes tomorrow!

Wait wait wait wait will there actually be a harvest moon or was someone talking smack because I will flip my shit.

edit: just saw the marvelous thing a few pages back, alright I'm semi-cautiously flipping my shit but "simulation games" + them has to = harvest moon. I don't have a wii or a DS so I've been mad fiending.

jey_16

Banned
So it's not really necessary to buy the navigation add on for the current games? Might buy a second move controller then....

jey_16 said:
So it's not really necessary to buy the navigation add on for the current games? Might buy a second move controller then....

I opted for the second Move controller instead. Right now I don't think anything uses the Nav (and if it does it hasn't really been talked about) so save your $30 until something that actually utilizes comes along. Unless I'm missing something ...

I'd rather put the Nav on a Christmas/Bday list and play with double Move controllers for the games that can use it like the Gladiator and Archery games then have a Nav just sit there not being used.

Top Bottom