• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

Not to try to dissuade you from learning the language, but I have a base knowledge of Japanese and the vast majority of menus and descriptions are completely incomprehensible. Games rarely have furigana (the symbols above the kanji that tell you how to read it), so until you're at a sufficiently advanced level to read a significant percentage of the 1800-ish kanji in common usage, you're going to have a tough time with any game not targeted at kids.

It's a very worthwhile endeavor, and even what little I know has enriched my enjoyment of Japanese media of all sorts, but don't expect to study for a month and understand more than a couple of the simplest menus and not a single item or ability description.

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade you. The months of effort I've put in really do feel with it. Just go in with realistic expectations or you'll just be frustrated and disappointed.
This is much appreciated. I know that it would take time but maybe I underestimated the required practice. I started learning it a long time ago but never got far, but I'm often doing fine deciphering menu options that have lots of hiragana and katakana in them since I know those and have a very basic understanding of grammar. Kanji obviously are the biggest problem.

There's just such a vast amount of stuff that I'd like to experience somehow so I'm thinking about starting again pretty often. Reading/understanding is a lot easier than speaking/writing and I don't really plan on doing that a lot anyway. I should probably just get myself a dictionary and some easy media with furigana and start reading. That's pretty much how I learned english so I know it can work :)

This is much appreciated. I know that it would take time but maybe I underestimated the required practice. I started learning it a long time ago but never got far, but I'm often doing fine deciphering menu options that have lots of hiragana and katakana in them since I know those and have a very basic understanding of grammar. Kanji obviously are the biggest problem.

There's just such a vast amount of stuff that I'd like to experience somehow so I'm thinking about starting again pretty often. Reading/understanding is a lot easier than speaking/writing and I don't really plan on doing that a lot anyway.

That's about what I'm looking for as well. My wife and I are taking a trip to Japan in November, but as long as I can order food and ask where the bathroom is, we should be fine, lol. But beyond that, I mostly just want to be able to experience untranslated games and watch anime without subtitles and the like.

I should probably just get myself a dictionary and some easy media with furigana and start reading. That's pretty much how I learned english so I know it can work :)

*blinks* Apparently so. Wouldn't have even guessed it wasn't your first language. As far as grammar goes, Tae Kim's guide is available free online or relatively cheaply in book form and I feel does a very good job of teaching all the goofy nuances that make Japanese so different from western languages.

On topic, my copy of Demon Gaze is arriving today. Looking forward to playing that now that the DT2 demo got me curious about DRPGs. I'll try to post some occasional impressions as someone new to the genre.

Codiox

Holy macaroni phantom breaker is one hell of a game. Saw it on ustream yesterday and told a buddy to get it with me.

Played coop for 4 hours, what a great game. Never heard of it.

It plays fucking awesome with an arcade stick too. Loving it.

Benedict

Logged in to my PSN account and it says I have no money left.
Should be a couple of hundred swedish kronor there.
Somebody else have experienced the same?
Problems with the server?

Holy macaroni phantom breaker is one hell of a game. Saw it on ustream yesterday and told a buddy to get it with me.

Played coop for 4 hours, what a great game. Never heard of it.

It plays fucking awesome with an arcade stick too. Loving it.
Isn't it though? Send me an invite. I'm always looking for co-op Breakers.

Edit: derp. Wrong thread bump strikes again.

Top Bottom