• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | February 2015

Rare SCEA Vita video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpbyyLCsq90

Games highlighted:
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Jungle Rumble (Available Now)
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (Coming Soon)
Helldivers
Shovel Knight (Coming Soon)
Toukiden Kiwami
Olli Olli 2
Titan Souls (Coming Soon)
Spongebob Heropants (Available Now)
Grim Fandango Remastered (Available Now)

You can guess what they plugged immediately after the games.

As if the lack of communication wasn't enough, I think it's safe to say Oreshika 2 is a PSN-exclusive in the west. But hey, import the English Asian release if you want a physical copy.

What have I been saying about Oreshika, all this time. They are just gonna drop an announcement out of nowhere for it... Sony pls :(

TOTP, oh me, oh my. You got a list of games for the spring, go buy those.

antibolo

Banned
I'm in agreement with antibolo, I had the exact same problems as he described before. Still stuck at Mars at the easiest difficulty.
I know I can grind some more or change armor but just thinking of playing it makes me feel super stressed. Definitely my last DRPG if I don't warm up on it some time. As of now it's more tedious than fun. Bleh.

You should try what I did, go to Slave Grave and grind the first few circles for some D-class weapons. I could not damage Mars in the double digits otherwise, it was a completely impossible fight.

I can already tell you that the game is easier afterwards, I beat Chronos without effort shortly after, and also the following boss.

incpdo

Vita is the perfect machine for platform games . I'm expecting. La mulana . axiom verge. Mighty. Shantae and a few more. Seems this year is gonna break my wallet

Vita is the perfect machine for platform games . I'm expecting. La mulana . axiom verge. Mighty. Shantae and a few more. Seems this year is gonna break my wallet

I forgot all about La Mulana. I'll try to do it without a guide when I get stuck this time (I finished it before), let's see how much I remember.

autoduelist

Most DRPGs kick your ass if you don't put a bit of time into them, it's just the nature of the genre. I feel like maybe Etrian/Persona Q easy mode would be the way to go if anything, but those are on 3DS anyway.

Demon Gaze is great on the Vita though, so I can't wait for Operation Abyss. So, so, glad that it got delayed, I know a lot of people would love to get it in April, though. June has nothing noteworthy in terms of releases, so it's perfect. Gonna be a great summer :D

Why be glad it got delayed? If it's for bug fixes that's one thing, but if it's just for your schedule you could just... wait to play it till June while we get it when we -need- it.

If Demon Gaze is supposed to be "accessible to new players" then I don't wanna imagine how the others are. A game should be playable without needing to read some arbitrary community-written google doc first.

Accessible doesn't necessarily mean easy. Sometimes those things come together -- Jeanne D'Arc is both an accessible and an easy Srpg. A dual stick shooter can be accessible to anyone, but nails hard once you're into it.

Drpgs can have enemies that de-level you, or have strict death penalties, or food requirements, or no auto-map, hard to identify items, and a host of other potential complexities DG doesn't. All DG has is a decently hard first boss, that isn't particularly difficult to beat with either - a bit of experimentation, or experience playing the genre, or a bit of grinding, or a bit of online research. DG has none of that, and even has nice mechanics that help you find the stuff you're searching for.

Why be glad it got delayed? If it's for bug fixes that's one thing, but if it's just for your schedule you could just... wait to play it till June while we get it when we -need- it.

Releasing it at a time when you have games like Bloodborne, Type-0, Borderlands, Toukiden, Dark Souls 2 remaster, etc all coming out a week or two prior to the game, a lot of people will simply skip it. I'm pretty sure that if NISA did it was because they saw the same thing that I saw: too hot of a season to release a game like it. Sure I get that these games might not interest you at all, but there are others that will buy these. They probably also saw how the LE preorders weren't moving as quickly as they wanted, so they did the smartest thing which is to release it at a time that has nothing going for it. June is perfect because it's when gamers are scrambling around for games.

Shizuka

At least I hope Oreshika 2 is $30, if it's DD-only. I don't have space, but until then, I'm sure I'll finish one of the Atelier titles I bought at launch and gave up halfway.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to beat Mars and learn some useful tricks. Shame that I will probably have to shelve it for the time being now that the New 3DS and company arrives. Still not hooked on the game though but I'll go back to it one day for sure, now that I've overcome my trauma.
lol

antibolo

Banned
Managed to beat Mars and learn some useful tricks. Shame that I will probably have to shelve it for the time being now that the New 3DS and company arrives. Still not hooked on the game though but I'll go back to it one day for sure, now that I've overcome my trauma.
lol

Cool!

The Beginners Guide section of the google doc should really have a mention along the lines of "Mars is hard, you may need to grind". This kind of harsh early boss is really demoralizing to new players, and should be made clear that it is unbalanced.

Hell, it's not even mentioned in the boss guide section.

ZeroAKA

Cool!

The Beginners Guide section of the google doc should really have a mention along the lines of "Mars is hard, you may need to grind". This kind of harsh early boss is really demoralizing to new players, and should be made clear that it is unbalanced.
It only gets easier after Mars.

Remember that you can change the difficulty in the basement at any time.

antibolo

Banned
It only gets easier after Mars.

Well, that's my point. A new player cannot possibly know that. There is no hint about it, either in the game itself or in the guide. You face Mars and then suddenly you wonder if you were not playing the game right, and it is frustrating as heck.

Remember that you can change the difficulty in the basement at any time.

Having to lower difficulty is even more demoralizing.

Shizuka

Also, you'll use Mars until the very last boss, even post-game. You won't use only Mars, but she'll be a beast consistently throughout the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any reviews on Syberia? Thinking about getting it.

antibolo

Banned
Nice, thanks for the info. How does multiplayer work? Can I ad-hoc with two Vita?

I think there's ad-hoc multiplayer, yeah (and it's a PSP game btw).

Be warned that Metal Slug Anthology is pretty awful though. I mean it certainly works as a way to play many Metal Slug games in portable form but it has many emulation issues and the main menu UI is buggy as shit.

EDIT: Damn, it looks like PSP ad hoc doesn't work for the Anthology on Vita:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932915-metal-slug-anthology/62052289

That's weird, I've already played a ad-hoc PSP game on my Vita in the past (Half-Minute Hero) and it worked fine?

^there's a good handful of games I've never finished just because I can't bring myself to concede and lower the difficulty.

Should I get both Metal Slug X and Metal Slug Anthology?

Like antibolo said, Metal Slug X is in Anthology but there is also Metal Slug XX on sale too. XX is basically Metal Slug 7. You might have that from being free on PS+ once, though. It's also not one of the better Metal Slugs, but if you want all of 'em, hey.

antibolo

Banned
I personally hate Metal Slug XX because there is no option for limited credits.

The original version on DS (ie. Metal Slug 7) was actually pretty balanced on that front, which makes it all the more baffling.

I think there's ad-hoc multiplayer, yeah (and it's a PSP game btw).

Be warned that Metal Slug Anthology is pretty awful though. I mean it certainly works as a way to play many Metal Slug games in portable form but it has many emulation issues and the main menu UI is buggy as shit.

That's weird, I've already played a ad-hoc PSP game on my Vita in the past (Half-Minute Hero) and it worked fine?

I think I might stick with Metal Slug X so I can play local multiplayer.

antibolo

Banned
I think I might stick with Metal Slug X so I can play local multiplayer.

The standalone Metal Slug X on PSN is the PS1 port, which I have no experience with, but I assume it must be a downgraded port because the PS1 was not powerful enough to faithfully reproduce Neo Geo games.

Maid

Banned
Well, that's my point. A new player cannot possibly know that. There is no hint about it, either in the game itself or in the guide. You face Mars and then suddenly you wonder if you were not playing the game right, and it is frustrating as heck.

I actually think people who played DRPG would be familiar with such difficult curve. There is nothing wrong with wondering have you been playing the game the wrong way, since it happens all the time whenever people meet the first road block in any game ever. I can't count how many games have I thought about that, especially those 4X games where I always learned that I've been doing it wrong, even after 100 hours playing.

A new player to the genre may not know it, though, but then you could say that to any other genres, too.

Tizoc

The standalone Metal Slug X on PSN is the PS1 port, which I have no experience with, but I assume it must be a downgraded port because the PS1 was not powerful enough to faithfully reproduce Neo Geo games.

It's OK for what it is but there are animation frames missing, but if you overlook that, it's a fun and great game. Not the best port but it gets it done.

autoduelist

Having to lower difficulty is even more demoralizing.

I actually think people who played DRPG would be familiar with such difficult curve. There is nothing wrong with wondering have you been playing the game the wrong way, since it happens all the time whenever people meet the first road block in any game ever. I can't count how many games have I thought about that, especially those 4X games where I always learned that I've been doing it wrong, even after 100 hours playing.

A new player to the genre may not know it, though, but then you could say that to any other genres, too.

Maid has it right.

The first dungeon (or so) in a drpg (and related genre, often) is to get used to the mechanics of the game. It'll teach the basic battle system, make sure you know about any mechanics key to the game (maybe blocking, or elemental damage, or ways to stun, etc) and basically warm you up.

But at some some point, there has to be a 'gate'. The gate is not there to make sure you understand the basic game mechanics, but rather, to make sure you're actually using them -- that is, that you're playing right -- that you're exploiting weaknesses, that you're using buffs/debuffs, that you understand the game.

This is important. The designers don't want you to just level grind warriors up so you can attack/attack/attack your way through the game. A gateway boss forces you to put all the pieces together, so to speak -- for example, "oh, that's right, the game showed me how to go find better weapons... I guess I need to go do that now". They need to throw something difficult at you to force you to use the advanced techniques the game allows to avoid people skipping over important mechanics and playing 'badly'.

Probably the most infamous example of this is the Matador in SMT Nocturne. You could maybe grind for a couple dozen hours to beat him... or you could learn the press turn system and use it to your advantage.

Mars is 'that' boss. Hard enough to force you to really get to know the game mechanics. Part of the reason the game seems 'easier' after Mars is that you now have Mars at your side, but a greater part of it is that Mars forced everyone to 'get good' - proper battle tactics, learning how to find better weapons, etc.

Basically, a gateway boss like Mars is actually good design; you want to ensure your players truly understand the game's mechanics else they'll be frustrated the entire game, not just when sorting out how to kill one particularly hard boss. Plus it's fun to finally take them down.

wilflare

Maid has it right.

The first dungeon (or so) in a drpg (and related genre, often) is to get used to the mechanics of the game. It'll teach the basic battle system, make sure you know about any mechanics key to the game (maybe blocking, or elemental damage, or ways to stun, etc) and basically warm you up.

But at some some point, there has to be a 'gate'. The gate is not there to make sure you understand the basic game mechanics, but rather, to make sure you're actually using them -- that is, that you're playing right -- that you're exploiting weaknesses, that you're using buffs/debuffs, that you understand the game.

This is important. The designers don't want you to just level grind warriors up so you can attack/attack/attack your way through the game. A gateway boss forces you to put all the pieces together, so to speak -- for example, "oh, that's right, the game showed me how to go find better weapons... I guess I need to go do that now". They need to throw something difficult at you to force you to use the advanced techniques the game allows to avoid people skipping over important mechanics and playing 'badly'.

Probably the most infamous example of this is the Matador in SMT Nocturne. You could maybe grind for a couple dozen hours to beat him... or you could learn the press turn system and use it to your advantage.

Mars is 'that' boss. Hard enough to force you to really get to know the game mechanics. Part of the reason the game seems 'easier' after Mars is that you now have Mars at your side, but a greater part of it is that Mars forced everyone to 'get good' - proper battle tactics, learning how to find better weapons, etc.

Basically, a gateway boss like Mars is actually good design; you want to ensure your players truly understand the game's mechanics else they'll be frustrated the entire game, not just when sorting out how to kill one particularly hard boss. Plus it's fun to finally take them down.

this is something that a number of high profile modern games do not have. - which is very sad.

maouvin

I'll ask here since some of you have experience buying from NISA Store: I pre-ordered The Firefly Diary LE the day pre-orders opened, got my confirmation e-mail with the order #, and now that e-mail about the paypal thing (asking to send a new payment etc). All nice.

But the order doesn't show up on My Orders page (yes, my acc email is the same one I got the pre-order confirmation email on). Is it possible that I bought it as a guest instead of using my account? Don't even know if that's possible, but I think it's either that or something went derp with my profile page.

Finished Final Fantasy 7 for the first time last night. I can see why people love it so much, it was a great ride. I had unfortunately been spoiled on
Aeris' death
but I still felt the scene was really well done, and it's the most memorable part of the game. The combat was fast and fun, and I liked the use of materia. Oh, and I liked the use of prerendered backgrounds, such a shame that the character models looks like shit though.

Will start playing Suikoden for the first time pretty soon

The fuck?

I kinda hope Operation Abyss is delayed. I haven't finished Demon Gaze yet and my schedule over the coming months is quite expensive. June is a better time for me!

I hope that Oreshika physical version is true, because I'll be importing if it is!

Shinriji

I'll ask here since some of you have experience buying from NISA Store: I pre-ordered The Firefly Diary LE the day pre-orders opened, got my confirmation e-mail with the order #, and now that e-mail about the paypal thing (asking to send a new payment etc). All nice.

But the order doesn't show up on My Orders page (yes, my acc email is the same one I got the pre-order confirmation email on). Is it possible that I bought it as a guest instead of using my account? Don't even know if that's possible, but I think it's either that or something went derp with my profile page.

It is possible. My first order went as a guest, and I never received my confirmation e-mail. I bought it again using my NISA account and everything is fine for now.

Top Bottom