• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Other OS Class Action Settlement

HeadsUp7Up

Got my settlement check for the Other OS class action suit a couple of days ago for a whopping $3.02! This is just a PSA to keep on the lookout for yours as it’s not the size of a normal check so you may think it’s junk mail. If you live in a big city a good idea for this is to cash it at your bank and get quarters to keep in your car for parking. Not sure what else you can do with $3 other than maybe McDonald’s dollar menu.

HeadsUp7Up

jokes on you, you missed the first check.
I didn’t qualify for some of it because I didn’t want to go through the trouble of trying to find all of that info. How much was it? The way these things draw out I’m surprised companies actually pay any money because I honestly forgot I even submitted my name and information.

Last edited:

onQ123

I've gotten $13 so far but the $10 might have been for the PSN hack I don't remember I just know that I got $10 about a year ago then I got $3 about 2 months ago

Psykodad

Banned
I've gotten $13 so far but the $10 might have been for the PSN hack I don't remember I just know that I got $10 about a year ago then I got $3 about 2 months ago
To think that the PSN hack was the result of you snowflakes crying about "Other OS".

onQ123

Well, the PSN Hack was a direct result of the drama around the removal of the Other OS feature.

Guess I just don't like entitled gamers. 🤷🏾‍♂️

That's stupid

PS3 was sold & advertised with the other OS feature & some of us actually used it they removed the feature & payed off the people who had proof that they bought the console when the feature was advertised. how the hell are we to blame for a PSN Hack?

Psykodad

Banned
That's stupid

PS3 was sold & advertised with the other OS feature & some of us actually used it they removed the feature & payed off the people who had proof that they bought the console when the feature was advertised. how the hell are we to blame for a PSN Hack?

Cause and effect.

Sony allowed Other OS, dude jailbreaks PS3, dude publishes instructions, Sony removes Other OS to prevent jailbreaking, people cry, situation escalates, LulSec hacks PSN.

onQ123

Cause and effect.

Sony allowed Other OS, dude jailbreaks PS3, dude publishes instructions, Sony removes Other OS to prevent jailbreaking, people cry, situation escalates, LulSec hacks PSN.

So you skip over the people who actually hacked PSN , Sony who removed Other OS & the person who jail broke PS3 & posted the instructions & blame the people who was affected by what other people did?

Psykodad

Banned
So you skip over the people who actually hacked PSN , Sony who removed Other OS & the person who jail broke PS3 & posted the instructions & blame the people who was affected by what other people did?
I didn't skip anyone, but you guys are in here happy to get pocket change back.

Besides, imo Sony was in their right to remove Other OS. As would any other company in their situation.
Although ultimately they created the entire situation by putting Other OS in to begin with.

Again, cause and effect.

Last edited:

onQ123

I didn't skip anyone, but you guys are in here happy to get pocket change back.

Besides, imo Sony was in their right to remove Other OS. As would any other company in their situation.
Although ultimately they created the entire situation by putting Other OS in to begin with.

Again, cause and effect.

Where do you see people happy to get $10 & $3?

And people are in their rights to receive refunds for a removed feature

Fox Mulder

Class action suits almost always crack me up because what the (individual) consumer will get in the end usually amounts to next to nothing.

the recent Equifax class action was hilarious. $700 million dollar payout for exposing over 140 million people, but only $30 Million set aside for actual consumer payouts. After hundreds of thousands of people signed up they said to wish in one hand and shit in the other to see which fills up first.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Where do you see people happy to get $10 & $3?

And people are in their rights to receive refunds for a removed feature

Gloating would be the more accurate term.
You’re right Sony did paint themselves into a corner of either having to remove Other OS or come out with a new console early but your follow-up action of kicking them when they’re down is the point Psykodad Psykodad was trying to make.

onQ123

Gloating would be the more accurate term.
You’re right Sony did paint themselves into a corner of either having to remove Other OS or come out with a new console early but your follow-up action of kicking them when they’re down is the point Psykodad Psykodad was trying to make.

Huh where did I gloat or kick Sony when they are down?

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Class action suits almost always crack me up because what the (individual) consumer will get in the end usually amounts to next to nothing.
tumblr_oi9mxr4OQ01r5rk9to5_r2_400.gifv

Zato

Banned
I remember being banned by dragonna (think it was her, she let her partner use her admin account) go saying it wasn't a big deal about Linux being removed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I remember being banned by dragonna (think it was her, she let her partner use her admin account) go saying it wasn't a big deal about Linux being removed.

Knowing those types who don't like to spend money on games, only amount crusades against them, it does not shock me that they did not want a "backdoor" removed for warez and made it a bigger deal than it really was for the general gaming public.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned

Not always the case, i got 55$ from dram class action, over 220$ for lcd class action

I didn’t qualify for some of it because I didn’t want to go through the trouble of trying to find all of that info. How much was it? The way these things draw out I’m surprised companies actually pay any money because I honestly forgot I even submitted my name and information.

This is the second disbursement, money from the first checks people didn't cash.

Last edited:

onQ123

They didn’t have a choice, they tried to do something nice and it backfired.

They added Other OS so that PS3 could pass as a computer to bypass a tax but they still had to pay that tax. they didn't do it just to be nice but it was a great thing to do , hackers messed it up for everyone & Sony did what they had to do by removing it . that don't mean no one should accept the small payout that they agreed to pay for the removal of the feature.

Taking the small settlement assures that you can't sue them for a bigger settlement.

Shifty

They didn’t have a choice, they tried to do something nice and it backfired.
I'd put more stock in the "blame the warez" argument if every system under the sun didn't eventually get hacked anyway. Sure, OtherOS made finding a backdoor easier by virtue of being an obvious first place to look, but it's Sony's job to bulletproof their software against that kind of thing.

They should have had the foresight to see it coming and not include it in the first place if some internet amateurs were able to figure it out, but they didn't, and are now paying the price that comes with yanking a major feature after release.

There's no altruistic "doing something nice" here, just a selling point aimed at positioning the PS3 above the strictly-games competition as a general-purpose computing and media device. Sony is not your friend.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I'd put more stock in the "blame the warez" argument if every system under the sun didn't eventually get hacked anyway. Sure, OtherOS made finding a backdoor easier by virtue of being an obvious first place to look, but it's Sony's job to bulletproof their software against that kind of thing.

They should have had the foresight to see it coming and not include it in the first place if some internet amateurs were able to figure it out, but they didn't, and are now paying the price that comes with yanking a major feature after release.

There's no altruistic "doing something nice" here, just a selling point aimed at positioning the PS3 above the strictly-games competition as a general-purpose computing and media device. Sony is not your friend.

I agree they brought it on themselves. I don’t agree with suing them after.

LOLCats

Banned
Yeah that one is definitely in a landfill somewhere.
the checks were only good for 90 days and ya it looked like junk mail. I have the USPS informed delivery, so i saw the image of it in my email. Otherwise odds are high It would have been lost with the newspaper flyer junk.

LOLCats

Banned
giphy.gif

:p

Yeah, surely there are exceptions.

:) indeed. i do all of the ones I'm eligible for and even a few I'm not.

its the state class action ones that are good. Like that LCD one was regional, rad payout. There was one just recently where people are getting 97.50$ check each year for the next four years!

edit: just got a 32$ check from Sonic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom