• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game of the Year 2014

daman824

Not many great titles on there that aren't indie.

That being said, don't starve wins out by a landslide for me. great game that I've put a ton of time into.

Nander

Brothers is definitely the best game on that list, but I already played it before going on PS+. Does it still count?

Otherwise, my pick is Metro:Last Light. It was one of my better game experiences this year, quite the delightful surprise actually.

Remember me. This was a nice surprise and a lot of fun. It helps if you're a big fan of Blade Runner and can forgive it'd slightly janky mechanics.

Calaius

Neo Member
Reading the list, I wondered if Brothers would have been my choice, had I played it. Damn backlog.

Then there's Everybody's Golf. Those games are so awesome. Bought my PSP mainly for it, and it was part of the equation for the Vita.

Then I saw Towerfall and knew I had my winner. Best fun I've had on a game this year. Played it for hours, 2 or 4 players, there were simply more laughs, more rage, more epidermic reactions than there were when we played Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros U, even with Nintendo die-hard fans. Props to Matt Thorson.

Hasney

Probably Dragons Crown for Vita and Outlast on PS4. A few things came close on Vita, but I can't think of anything that came close for me on PS4.

Schlomo

Towerfall Ascension by a huge margin. It's the most fun I had with local multiplayer this year, both competitive and co-op.

luftrausers-logo-614-350.png

Yep, this one. Was really surprising, because I didn't expect much from it.

PS+ was good this year, not as great as in 2013, but still a lot of value. PS3 had an awesome line up in the first quarter of 2014 and Vita owners were showered with games in Sep-Oct-Nov.

FerranMG

Hotline Miami, followed closely by The Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

I had played Hotline Miami before on my PC, but playing it on the Vita was so much enjoyable.

Bauer91

The games released on Plus this year from the OP that I've played are:

Devil May Cry
Soul Sacrifice
Hotline Miami
Muramasa Rebirth
Dragon's Crown
PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
TxK
Joe Danger
Spelunky
Pix the Cat
Titan Attacks

Out of these I'd say I liked Hotline Miami the most, platinumed it in a couple of days. Last year we got MGS HD Collection, Lumines, Wipeout, Rayman Origins, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Unit 13, Guacamelee! - a far superior selection of Vita games for my taste (that's the only PlayStation device I own that works at the moment). Since I just got a Vita this year I've played through all of those in 2014 so looking at the list in the OP made me realize just how much better last year's Vita games were for me.

Hubble

My vote goes to Lone Survivor with Hotline Miami as honorable mention. Both bring something different than lets say Bioshock Infinite and just as enjoyable if not more. Lone Survivor was just fantastic.

Ramenman

"very good surprises that I'd never have tried without PS+" :
- DmC (really didn't think i'd enjoy it, but it's a very good game with lots of great ideas and visual marvels in its level design)
- Sly Cooper 4 (I had never played Sly, it was a very enjoyable throwback to the PS2 era of cartoon platformers, with a stealth theme)
- Brothers

"amazing game that I've bought twice on the side anyway but still feel like mentioning :"
- Luftrausers

Obviously PS+ is at its best in the first category, this is the reason I subscribe :D

If I had to choose one, I'd probably say Sly 4, because "they don't make them like this anymore" :D

Griss

I’ve beaten every game on the ‘best’ list, and put at least two hours into every game on the ‘worst’ list, sometimes much more. Many of the games I didn’t play because I wasn’t interested.

Best:
1. Spelunky
2. Don’t Starve
3. Pixeljunk Shooter
4. Dead Nation
5. Muramasa Rebirth
6. Dust: An Elysian Tale

Worst:
1. Binding of Isaac
2. Doki Doki Universe
3. Playstation All Stars
4. Velocity 2x

I thought I would never disagree with GAF as much about a game as I did with Velocity, then Isaac came mere months later. The reception to that one on here really had me feeling like I was in some alternate dimension or something, or there was some sustained 'Truman Show'-esque trolling going on. Absolutely horrible game.

I’ve beaten every game on the ‘best’ list, and put at least two hours into every game on the ‘worst’ list, sometimes much more. Many of the games I didn’t play because I wasn’t interested.

Best:
1. Spelunky
2. Don’t Starve
3. Pixeljunk Shooter
4. Dead Nation
5. Muramasa Rebirth
6. Dust: An Elysian Tale

Worst:
1. Binding of Isaac
2. Doki Doki Universe
3. Playstation All Stars
4. Velocity 2x

I thought I would never disagree with GAF as much about a game as I did with Velocity, then Isaac came mere months later. The reception to that one on here really had me feeling like I was in some alternate dimension or something, or there was some sustained 'Truman Show'-esque trolling going on. Absolutely horrible game.

You just don't get it, maaan.

Griss

You just don't get it, maaan.

Hahaha, I've stayed out of the BoI threads because I know any negative opinion would cause a riot but in a thread like this I think it's important to balance all these votes for GOTY with negative opinions too. I'm sure a lot of people will hate it as much as I did, so I might as well warn them.

Gurish

Easily Brothers A Tale of Two Sons, really enjoyed it.
Second place would go to Bioshock: Infinite.

I've listed only games i didn't play before Plus.

Palom

Dragon's Crown

The game felt like the perfect evolution of beat-'em-ups. The multiple paths and hidden rooms, the skill paths, the loot. I loved it. I know people balked at the weird proportions of the art style, but I really liked it, and the animation was fantastic. I wanted to play it to max level, but unfortunately the online community was nonexistent, and NPC companions are worthless in the endgame dungeon. I feel guilty for not having bought it at retail.

Vaco6121

Don't Starve. While I had it on PC, I couldn't get into it, but when it released on PS4, it was all that I played for a couple of weeks. I would of skipped the PS4 version if it wasn't a Plus game based on what I had played on the PC.

Labadal

From the games that I actually already don't own?

Sly Cooper Thieves in Time (PS3)

I had a lot of fun with the game. I liked the different time periods and I didn't hate the mini-games.

Card Boy

Banned
Best

Strider
Towerfall Ascension
Injustice Gods Among Us
Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Tomb Raider

Worst

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Contrast
Doki-Doki Universe