• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Games for March: Broforce, Galak-Z, More

I played BroForce last night and it's...decent. I was playing the arcade mode, but I was kind of expecting more Contra-style scrolling levels than what I've played so far. I'll keep at it.

Sort've OT but I just wanted to say the Star Trek dynamic theme is pretty damn awesome if you are a fan of TOS. It's got a PS+ discount at the moment. I'm not even a theme guy. I haven't liked the free ones enough to use them and I've never bought one, but I took a chance on this one and it's pretty great. My only complaint is that it could use some AA, but that might just be a limitation for all the themes, I don't know.

GametimeUK

Broforce has wayyyyyyyyyy too horrible performance on PS4 for me. Is this a Unity title?

And I have no idea how Stardust HD is a "weak" PS3 offering. Granted, a lot of people have it, is the best game on offer this month in my opinion and is better than most games offered each month.

dralla

Broforce has wayyyyyyyyyy too horrible performance on PS4 for me. Is this a Unity title?

It can get really bad, single digit frames bad. I wish it were more stable. But the bigger problem I'm having is that the controls will striaight up stop working about 2 seconds after you start a mission. It happens every time you spawn. It's almost like the controller de-syncs with the PS4, nothing works. It's gotten me killed multiple times and it happens on both my controllers. I don't know if it's just me or a bug with the game. It's a huge oversight on their part of it it's a bug. It's so incredibly frustrating because the game is a lot of fun to play.

BRObably a Unity title. It seems to be a memory issue. After i played it for a few hours, at a boss fight (when its health was at 1/5 or so) the game went slow motion, i though it was because that i was about to kill it but then i noticed that it was an issue with the game since that boss had 3 more or so phases.

DOWN

Banned
why did sony basically stop having any retail titles on PS+? That was the whole basis of marketing the instant game collection on PS3, was that it was blockbuster games you were likely interested in playing by name alone. Is it because they want to save money and don't need to give us as good of games since we have to have PS+ for multiplayer anyway?

why did sony basically stop having any retail titles on PS+? That was the whole basis of marketing the instant game collection on PS3, was that it was blockbuster games you were likely interested in playing by name alone. Is it because they want to save money and don't need to give us as good of games since we have to have PS+ for multiplayer anyway?

Like your last sentence says, Sony doesn't have to sell the subscription on the strength of high profile franchises and large publisher titles any longer when the service has been made a requirement for current gen multiplayer. I will say, though, that the smaller games they offer aren't universally bad or something. MS stepped up their Live Gold offering precisely because the earlier PS+ service was outshining theirs on some level, but now that Sony has been able to pull back on that effort with big titles, MS might well do the same...only their second place positioning keeps that from happening and thus Gold members get higher profile titles and X1 members get double the games each month, IMO. Competition.

shmoglish

And I have no idea how Stardust HD is a "weak" PS3 offering. Granted, a lot of people have it, is the best game on offer this month in my opinion and is better than most games offered each month.
I think the most people say it is bad because it is already 7 years old and was part of the welcome back presents and afaik it was also in PS+ Us already. It is a great game, sure.

gergstep

Neo Member
It can get really bad, single digit frames bad. I wish it were more stable. But the bigger problem I'm having is that the controls will striaight up stop working about 2 seconds after you start a mission. It happens every time you spawn. It's almost like the controller de-syncs with the PS4, nothing works. It's gotten me killed multiple times and it happens on both my controllers. I don't know if it's just me or a bug with the game. It's a huge oversight on their part of it it's a bug. It's so incredibly frustrating because the game is a lot of fun to play.

I've been experiencing the same problem, it makes it incredibly frustrating at times; the game's not bad, but that bug is really annoying.

catspit

What the hell is up with broforce.. They need to patch this game ASAP. When it works it's not a terrible game, but it's very broken right now with the lag and controller inputs not registering and online pretty much not working as is. Geeze.

It's almost as if they selected this title to give to millions of players with PS+ and no one tried to play it at all. The issues are there right at the start.. Only need to play for 5 minutes to experience the hot mess.

Gator86

Finished Galak-Z. I enjoyed it a lot more than expected honestly. That said, the game runs like fucking shiiiiit in the last few levels which is unacceptable for a game that looks like this and where you can die in seconds. I managed to finish it only dying 4 times somehow. I was expecting it to be impossibly difficult from watching the Giantbomb quicklook. The roguelike element seems pointless and I wish it was a dual-stick shooter though. The biggest issue is that the game is completely unfinished, missing the last level entirely. Overall, it's a solid game with a bunch of annoying quirks. Probably not something I would have played without it being a Plus game.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I fired up Broforce last night and this time let my son see it and play alongside me. We had a blast. Even with the bugs, it's a pretty darn fun game. And I like the fact that with co-op you can "rescue" them back even when they lose their lives.

He wanted to play it this morning too but I told him he had school, so we will have to do it tonight. :)

Izuna

Banned
Wow, Sony can't go lower than this.
Really, awful month. Just awful.
Broforce is ok, but I already own it on PC.
This month is baffling compared to GWG.
Maybe Galak is good, but it's not my genre.

Can I template this for every month?

Drencrom

I fired up Broforce last night and this time let my son see it and play alongside me. We had a blast. Even with the bugs, it's a pretty darn fun game. And I like the fact that with co-op you can "rescue" them back even when they lose their lives.

He wanted to play it this morning too but I told him he had school, so we will have to do it tonight. :)

A dad playing Broforce with his son?

There is hope for the future after all.

Varth

It's still the best Housemarque title for me. Way better than Resogun.

Also, at this point in PS3 life, I think it's only good that they're looking at its library offering as a whole instead of trying to pick from latest releases. There's TONS of great, overlooked titles released in the first PS Store years that could use another chance of visibility. HARD Corps Uprising, Rochard just to name a couple, but a list would be endless.

Klart

I think the most people say it is bad because it is already 7 years old and was part of the welcome back presents and afaik it was also in PS+ Us already. It is a great game, sure.

7? Almost 9... It's a great game, but as one of the very first PS3 games & after numerous discounts, a LOT of people already have it.

Yeah the list of 'PS+ day one" PS4 games that have performance issues goes:
Contrast
Mercenary Kings
Secret Ponchos
Apotheon
Tower of Guns
Grow Home*
Ether One
Broforce

* I know for a fact that the Grow Home patch fixed the big issues people were having.

Considering I also have had very bad experiences in games like Firewatch and Soma, it seems more like an indie games problem to me. It just so happens that a lot of the indie PS+ offerings are on there day1. I guess with a retail release and more man power you at least have to deliver something that's not completely broken as well as having another month time for testing and the inevitable day1 patch.
While some indie developers seem just upload it when they think it's ready (at least I hope they don't ship it that bad knowingly, although as it was said, you only have to play Broforce for 5 minutes to notice it. On a closed hardware system you also have a LOT less excuses to blame it on whatever honestly)

People here like to give the big AAA games shit for stuff most people don't even notice like dropping 2 frames now and then, but it's so rare to have non-hyperbole game-breaking stuff or literally unplayable performance in these games. Yet in past few months I've had more problems in indie games than I had in any AAA game of this and the last gen apart from F3 on PS3....
To me that's especially surprising as these games are often PC ports that have much less going on and are smaller in scope. I really hope it's not some sort of trend we are getting into. At least they are usually quick to patch it.

Tried Galak-z. Those controls do not feel natural at all. The way the thrust works I feel like I should be using the analogue stick to rotate my ship, not point it in a specific direction. Spent the whole tutorial trying to retrain my brain to think a different way! Voice acting is terrible in places, or at least the direction is, if you can't do it properly just don't do it. Other than that it shows a lot of promise, really liked the music in the opening cut-scene.

Broforce. That bug, fucking hell. How did it not get noticed? You'd only have to QA the game for literally five seconds. Plays really nicely though aside from that, although I had no idea what was going on with lives and what my actual goal was. I just finished a bunch of levels and it sent me back to the map so I assume I was doing it right but I had no idea what exactly the right thing was. Terrible font-work though. They should be ashamed of that.

Beat Broforce. Awesome game other than the stupid controller input bug at the beginning of levels and the worst slowdown ever (like, below 10fps) for the last 1/3 of the game. Definitely one of the better PS+ games I've played even with the terrible bugs.

Celegus

Galak-Z just as good as I was hoping it would be. Love the controls and switching between ship/mech all the time is so cool. Only died on the season 2 boss once so far, working on season 4 already.

PS+ failing miserably again, not sure what we're paying for anymore, guess it's just online multiplayer, but then if you don't like competitive multiplayer games then a PS+ subscription is a waste of money.

It's still the best Housemarque title for me. Way better than Resogun.

Also, at this point in PS3 life, I think it's only good that they're looking at its library offering as a whole instead of trying to pick from latest releases. There's TONS of great, overlooked titles released in the first PS Store years that could use another chance of visibility. HARD Corps Uprising, Rochard just to name a couple, but a list would be endless.

Hard Corps Uprising was a plus title in the US during the very first month of Instant Game Collection.

BiggNife

Honestly, the biggest issue I have with Broforce PS4 isn't the framerate, but how I can't move for like ten seconds in the beginning of every mission in online co-op. It's a huge annoyance and kind of unacceptable, especially in level...5, I think, where basically every level starts with an airstrike and you have like two seconds to get out of the way.

Top Bottom