• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus has lost 1.9 million subscribers since relaunch; revenue is up, however

Aenima

I've seen this sentiment across GAF and other sites a lot. People seemingly don't want to keep subscribed to PS+ long term. If Sony wants to make their sub service a core part of their services, they need to seriously look at either start giving day 1 games, or make it like 1~3 month or something instead of a full year's delay.
They just need to make discount deals. Since the relaunch the PS+ subscription hasent got a single discount deal. I only resub when they make deals.

Fredrik

Yeah I likely won’t resubscribe when my prepayment ends in 2024. The delayed game catalogue release strategy is messing it all up for me, it only work if you’re a notorious LTTP gamer.
The reality is that within a year no new 1st party games they upload will matter because I will have already played them all.

It was great at launch though. I got to play Returnal and Miles Morales among other big AAA Sony games.

But now it’s just about being cheap and stubbornly wait and then the service isn’t appealing anymore.

They need get ps5s out in wild, promote ps plus extra, most still have not heard of it, get more YouTubers and influencers to do vids on it, free trials is a must,

Stop releasing pc ports,
For fucks sake, u want PlayStation fans to stay loyal, do the same,

Release more day one games, like stray, why they did not release last of us part 1 day 1 or ps plus extra is beyond me,

Better games!!!

K2D

Banned
Subscription isn't a good value to me - I would have to be unemployed or full time streamer for it to make sense to me. I'll happily shell out if there's a game I want.

Last edited:

GHG

Yeah I likely won’t resubscribe when my prepayment ends in 2024. The delayed game catalogue release strategy is messing it all up for me, it only work if you’re a notorious LTTP gamer.
The reality is that within a year no new 1st party games they upload will matter because I will have already played them all.

It was great at launch though. I got to play Returnal and Miles Morales among other big AAA Sony games.

But now it’s just about being cheap and stubbornly wait and then the service isn’t appealing anymore.

Couple of things:
  • As long as people are actually purchasing games (which they are, especially so with the larger titles as proven by recent COD and GoW numbers) then they have no incentive to change the structure and staggered approach. If anything what's happening is reinforcing their strategy as being the correct one.
  • ARPU for PS Plus is up. Again, an indication that the current structure is working for them. They don't want everyone to be subscribed to anything beyond PS Plus essential.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I've had GamePass for over 3 years and PS+ Extra for a couple of months and I will probably not re-sub to any of them again.

I have a huge backlog and 90% of the games on these services are not for me, so I'd rather buy the games I'm into than renting stuff I'm not using.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I mean obviously there's nothing impressive about it. They've hit their roadblock as far as subscriber growth goes and that's been obvious since 2021. The focus now is retention and increasing RPU

just be interesting to know which area it is, if its PSnow or PS+ that has lost them when they merged the service

Been a bad week for game subscriptions huh? First Phil Spencer downplays it, and now sony have lost subscribers even after revamping and including a big library of games. Are there still people who think sony will ever launch their games on plus?

DaGwaphics

Wow. Loosing nearly 2 million subs especially after a relaunch is insane..

It's really to be expected given the time we are at in the current-gen. It's normal for players to begin to disengage from the last-gen machines even before they've upgraded to current-gen systems. Spending on games and services sinks through the floor on the old platforms.

We probably won't have a huge thread over these losses, we reserve those for the services that grow by nearly 30%. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Neo_game

It is nice they are giving numbers. I wonder what is the split between consoles. If PS5 is 15 out of 25million consoles. That means PS4 still has 30million users. The expensive tier would definitely be the PS5 users.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
PS5 pro will keep people defecting to PC.
Right?
In all fairness Sony themselves (Andrew House) said they saw statics that about mid console cycle people started leaving Playstation and moving to PC and thats what the PS4 Pro was designed to try and stop

We recently had the huge crypto crash and a flood of used video cards at good prices hit the market not to mention a whole new video card

The flip side of Sony saying they want to stop people migrating to PC then they should have never started PC porting as I am one of those who stopped getting any Plyatstation to wait out PC ports

Fredrik

Couple of things:
  • As long as people are actually purchasing games (which they are, especially so with the larger titles as proven by recent COD and GoW numbers) then they have no incentive to change the structure and staggered approach. If anything what's happening is reinforcing their strategy as being the correct one.
  • ARPU for PS Plus is up. Again, an indication that the current structure is working for them. They don't want everyone to be subscribed to anything beyond PS Plus essential.
People purchase games because there is no alternative. Unless you’re okay with waiting and playing in a year or two. With rare exceptions like Stray.

For me the delays take away the value from the service. With every 1st party game I buy because I don’t like waiting one reason to keep subscribing goes away, eventually I’ll just subscribe for 3rd party games and then there is no reason imo.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't see any proof of causation, if that's what's being implied. The old tier is still the same, and still costs the same, so it wouldn't make sense that people would unsubscribe BECAUSE OF the new tiers. So it's just natural variations I would guess.

More interesting data would be how many of those who are still subscribed (which is most) have upgraded to a higher tier.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't see any proof of causation, if that's what's being implied. The old tier is still the same, and still costs the same, so it wouldn't make sense that people would unsubscribe BECAUSE OF the new tiers. So it's just natural variations I would guess.

More interesting data would be how many of those who are still subscribed (which is most) have upgraded to a higher tier.
People getting hit the hardest by inflation cutting a subscription service AND those who stayed subscribed and jumped on the highest paid tier increasing revenue can both be true though

I'm not surprised Playstation was never set up to have a subscription based multiplayer service. I wish it would go back to being free. That would really fuck with Xbox. I guess they were basically forced to go to a subscription model in order to be able to afford their AAA games.

Does Netflix have game sales and MTX to fall back on?
No. But that is not he point I am making. The point is about losing this amount of subscribers (regardless of how people interact with your ecosystems).

Netflix's only model is subscriptions, that is why they freaked out. Yet, they still raised the prices as well, even with the loss.
I am bringing Netflix because they have like 200M subscribers right?

So 200,000 of 200M ain't that big.

2M of 60M is a huge.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No. But that is not he point I am making. The point is about losing this amount of subscribers (regardless of how people interact with your ecosystems).

I am bringing Netflix because they have like 200M subscribers right?

So 200,000 of 200M ain't that big.

2M of 60M is a huge.
They said why. They anticipated it as well, it was not a shock to them.

Top Bottom