• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus reaches 26.4 million subscribers as of March 31, 2017

Boke1879

That's a lot of people paying for nothing. Surprisingly less than I expected though, fortunately.

It's actually a good number. Around 40ish% of all PS4s out there. That's a lot of money and it'll no doubt go up with Destiny, COD and Battlefront.

I used to sub, but stopped. Combination of poor connection speed, terrible Sony customer service when my account was compromised, and a lot of online functions work without it. I routinely used Nioh online to fight the player shadows and can use Persona 5 online functions for instance. TBH it's kind of poorly advertised (probably purposeful) what features will work and which will not without the sub. And with not playing any big competitive multi games on PS4, I haven't really missed it.

I'm guessing a big chunk of people are getting in for the included games.

zkorejo

Time and Time again, it has been said....the download speed is more to do with Akamai CDN (which psn uses) than psn itself..

I dont understand all that technical stuff. And I dont think I should care what is the issue. All I know and care about is, downloading a 10 gb update should not take 99+ days.

Are these subscribers paying for the service because they want to, or because they have to?

That's the problem with these bullshit online pay walls.

I can't imagine anyone 'wanting' to pay for a service that was free last gen. Frankly I haven't been able to justify a subscription for either xbox or playstation since getting my PC a couple year ago.

I'm guessing a big chunk of people are getting in for the included games.

Your guess is wrong. PS3 Plus without the online paywall didn't have very many subs, and now the games are much worse.

If Sony stopped charging for online and still kept the same garbage coming monthly, their subs would drop dramatically, possibly to under a million.

Floody

According to the numbers it appears as though they're not. Maybe with the F2P games on PlayStation not needing PS+ the percentage will be higher but it appears as though the majority play not online.

Not necessarily, 1 Plus account can give Plus to 1 other, and I don't think this counts account sharing accounts.

zulux21

Your guess is wrong. PS3 Plus without the online paywall didn't have very many subs, and now the games are much worse.

If Sony stopped charging for online and still kept the same garbage coming monthly, their subs would drop dramatically, possibly to under a million.
it would drop, but not likely below the original ps3 numbers at 3 mil. I would give it a drop to 5mil at tops. Sure the free games quality has gone down some, but there is usually still at least one good game in there. but even ignoring them they do a lot of sales that ps+ gives good discounts to which are the main reason I am still subbed since I don't really play online at all.
Not necessarily, 1 Plus account can give Plus to 1 other, and I don't think this counts account sharing accounts.

correct. With my account set as primary on my console, my wife can play online games with her account if she wants. so it wouldn't be surprising if given home situations if while only say 40% of people have ps+, if thanks to families having multiple people using it if closer to 60-65% of people actually play online with their accounts.

I'll throw in my two cents on the whole MAU vs non-MAU metrics or whatever. But I'm not interested in debating about it.

On the topic of financial transparency, both MS and Sony are pretty shit, actually.

MS more so than Sony due to the lack of HW numbers, but both aren't anything to praise about either.

Both companies should be sharing every single sales data they can disclose, all the way from individiual sales of every game they publish, MAU, hardware sales, accessories sales, etc.

Both companies could learn a thing or two from Nintendo. And even Nintendo, in terms of openness of biz information, is what I would call at best B-tier.

Capcom is a far better company when it comes to clear and honest investor relations transparency. Their website clearly details a catalog of their historical sales for all their products, they are updated quarterly and they show quarterly update of their key sales.

Additional context in the form of more useful data like:
- XBL Gold Subscriber figures
- ARPU per MAU and per XBL Gold Sub
- Average number of monthly transactions per MAU
- Average price of said transactions per MAU
- Conversion rate of XBL Gold per HW unit sold

These are the sorts of data people look for to perform market analysis. Sony provided the data required to determine the data point for some of these. MS provides none of the data required to determine the data point for any of these making their MAU figure less informative.

You guys are nuts
Sure every investor would like that, but companies are not obligated to do a full financial striptease.
And that is a good thing.

I would also like how much every individual is being paid. How much they pay for every surface, xbox or playstation in production.
But that is confidential stuff you only know when working in said company

And Capcom and Nintendo don't do better than Microsoft or Sony. Microsoft and Sony are not a gaming company. How much an individual titel sells is not important

cakely

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of sad to see Sony talking MAU in press release.

Wow, though, they have 26.4 million users paying a subscription fee to use their console? They've got to be pretty happy about that.

I'm not happy about that.

Welfare

Wow, though, they have 26.4 million users paying a subscription fee to use their console? They've got to be pretty happy about that.

I'm not happy about that.

MAU is a very important metric in a multiplayer/online centric market.

Gestault

I'm gonna quote myself form another thread, re: MAU usage (particularly for MAU tracking on an individual game basis):

So this may rub some people the wrong way, but I think the MAU tracking is a big part of what's keeping the publishing side and buyers on the same page (and the industry itself healthy) in the long-term, if my social circles are any indication. Backlogs are so common, and digital impulse sales/bundling so prominent that I'm positive the amount of "empty" info on buying habits has never been higher. No, playing habits aren't the same as sales, but I think seeing what players actually think is worth their time matters in the market in its current form.

Publishers need a sense of what players want (and what actually excites them), as opposed to what players are willing to buy impulsively as part of a downward min-max of price. Whenever a game sits unplayed, the creators have no idea how their next effort could better cater to what players want, because those buyers, despite having sent the sign they were willing to buy it, have no idea if they liked it.

Aceofspades

Banned
I dont understand all that technical stuff. And I dont think I should care what is the issue. All I know and care about is, downloading a 10 gb update should not take 99+ days.

10gb taking 99+ days? Maybe you should look into better internet plan.

10 Gb takes me less than 10 minutes.

Fredrik

It's a combination I would imagine. I play zero games online on my ps4, but I got PS+ for the games
It should be possible to identify the ones that felt forced to subscribe by looking at the PS+ subscription figures last gen. PS+ hasn't got any better regarding the "free" games so if there are more subscribers this generation it's likely because there are people that subscribe because they have to.

gortsi

Neo Member
Don't mind him.

He thinks it's somehow funny that Sony can release MAU numbers (and subscription number in this thread) and Microsoft is made fun of when they do. He just ignores that the reason for being made fun of is that Microsoft ignores console sales while Sony always reveals PS4 console numbers.

That's funny, because they didn't for a long time for the PS3 and they don't for the Vita either. The only transparent company, regardless of whether the console is a success or a failure, is Nintendo

That dude went in hard on the console wars..

And good for Sony is guess. Not a big deal to me other than its good to have an ecosystem to play online with when I or we need.

Don't see plus getting better if the trend continues though.

Ps+ subscriber growth in FY 2017 = 27%
Ps4 installbase*growth in FY 2017 = 50%

so Ps+ subscriber growth basically at half the pace of Ps4 installbase growth
if you look at flat numbers: 5.6m added subscriber vs 20m Ps4 sold or roughly 1/4 of every new Ps4 sold converted into an additional Ps+ subscriber

*using shipped numbers for installbase.

PSN MAUs grew "only" ten million, from 60+ million to 70+ million. Every new PS4 owner is not a new PSN user. People are migrating from PS3.
sure that.

but the most important factor here is this:
one Ps4 sold in the year could be a MAU in February and another Ps4 could be a MAU in March, but not simultaneously
+ other various factors like second or third Ps4 in one household. upgrade from Ps4 to Pro. replace a broken console. etc...

that is exactly the reason, why MAU is the superior metric to units sold

eerik9000

Ps+ subscriber growth in FY 2017 = 27%
Ps4 installbase*growth in FY 2017 = 50%

so Ps+ subscriber growth basically at half the pace of Ps4 installbase growth
if you look at flat numbers: 5.6m added subscriber vs 20m Ps4 sold or roughly 1/4 of every new Ps4 sold converted into an additional Ps+ subscriber

*using shipped numbers for installbase.

PSN MAUs grew "only" ten million, from 60+ million to 70+ million. Every new PS4 owner is not a new PSN user. People are migrating from PS3.

farisr

banned02ss1.jpg

Lmaooo.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
cool, glad to be apart of the service. i don't have a bone to pick with it at all.

vpance

More than half subscribing to Plus is pretty good.

Sony just need to not fuck up PS5 and they'll have a steady source of revenue for years to come.

Gestault

More than half subscribing to Plus is pretty good.

Sony just need to not fuck up PS5 and they'll have a steady source of revenue for years to come.

This is one of those things I'm gonna say that'll cheese off a few people, but knowing how involved the overhead on even a super simple digital storefront can be, let alone a full-on service platform, I think shifting PSN over to a paid service with PS+ has been one of the most positive developments for the Playstation division and for the quality of the end-user experience (allowing for annoyance from people who don't want that new expense).

What the fuck is an MAU?

Monthly Active Users. It's just a service figure on their end showing how many people are actually using the platform and services over the course of each month. Most importantly it shows distinct user counts, which is really useful.

Chris R

Mine runs out at the end of June.

If there isn't really any big news from E3 on Plus stuff I'll be out. Got what I wanted out of the PS+ library, only title installed on my PS4 that will be losing is Spelunky. Will lose a ton of installed stuff on my PS3 though :(

soheil

I wont subscribe when my 1 year subscription ends.

Its been almost 6-7 month and from the list of free games Sony offered I only played The War Of Mine and Abzu.

I don't play online games much and I think at this point PS+ is almost useless for me.

Aceofspades

Banned

Why would any metric be "superior" to another?
Both are valued metric that gives you info about some aspect of the ecosystem health.

Unit sold: gives publishers and a developers a rough estimation of potential market for their games, and thats why most indies and AAA games end up being released on PS4, unlike Xbox one, wii U or even Switch.

MAU: can give an a good sample to developers, publishers and other service providers that certain games or services might find success since people are actively engaged in this ecosystem...among other benefits.

This is just a simplification of SOME of the benefits of both metric used.

Again, why would you downplay one over the other is beyond me. Or that you just know that Microsoft can never win a certain metric so you downplay it to hell, because one day once they have sold W10 phones in china they can win "the MAU" war and you declare Live as biggest gaming network? Grow up man

Why would any metric be "superior" to another?
Both are valued metric that gives you info about some aspect of the ecosystem health.

Unit sold: gives publishers and a developers a rough estimation of potential market for their games, and thats why most indies and AAA games end up being released on PS4, unlike Xbox one, wii U or even Switch.

MAU: can give an a good sample to developers, publishers and other service providers that certain games or services might find success since people are actively engaged in this ecosystem...among other benefits.

This is just a simplification of SOME of the benefits of both metric used.

Again, why would you downplay one over the other is beyond me. Or that you just know that Microsoft can never win a certain metric so you downplay it to hell, because one day once they have sold W10 phones in china they can win "the MAU" war and you declare Live as biggest gaming network? Grow up man

it was talk in the context of the business.
if you make your money with selling hardware and have a healthy margin on that, unit sold is a solid and the superior metric.
If you want to monetize a platform with games and services, MAU is the better metric.

Reasons were already given by me.
Here is a simple exaggeration: I could buy 100 million Ps4 for $20bn and throw them into the dumpster. Would those sales benefit any publisher who wants to sell games on that Platform? Not at all! And even Sony would not make much out of that. Especially not generating any longterm revenue stream.

I also used the word superior, because of the "lol MAU what are the unit sold numbers" meme here on GAF. Thought that was pretty obvious. Fuel the fire, you know? Whenever someone is willing to discuss sales and financials in a reasonable manor, im willing to give a way more diverse and objective answer like this one ;)

Circinus

What a weird reason to be sad. It's obviously a very important metric for their strategic planning and for Sony's investors.. It's strongly linked to the recurring revenue.

Crayon

Well this was a fun start to the day.

Fuck paid online play tho. :< I hope we can all learn from this collective mistake. The xb1 online check in was a near miss. And there will be more choices to come.

eerik9000

It's not a press release. It is a presentation shown to investors at Sony Investor Relations Day. They've revealed similar information in previous years too.

sure that.

but the most important factor here is this:
one Ps4 sold in the year could be a MAU in February and another Ps4 could be a MAU in March, but not simultaneously
+ other various factors like second or third Ps4 in one household. upgrade from Ps4 to Pro. replace a broken console. etc...

One MAU could be generating hundreds of dollars in revenue every month, another MAU could just sit there consuming your precious resources for free. That is exactly the reason why revenue is the superior metric to MAU.

One transaction could be 100% profitable, another transaction could actually lose you money. That is exactly the reason why profit is the superir metric to revenue.

etc.

Actually no, in the end only profit matters.

Griss

What would this add up to if we assumed everyone was on an annual sub, 1.3 billion USD a year or thereabouts?

Jesus christ, no wonder they added the paywall. I hope in the future PSN is better and their future OS's are better as a result of this influx of cash, but somehow I doubt it.

$1.5 billion from PSN subs alone is insane. No wonder PSN generated near $5 billion in revenue iirc.

Sadly, PS+ has been disappointing compared to its PS3 years. Its weird as PS+ in Asia seems amazing.

One MAU could be generating hundreds of dollars in revenue every month, another MAU could just sit there consuming your precious resources for free. That is exactly the reason why revenue is the superior metric to MAU.

One transaction could be 100% profitable, another transaction could actually lose you money. That is exactly the reason why profit is the superir metric to revenue.

etc.

Actually no, in the end only profit matters.

correct.

MAU, Revenue and Gross margin
the 3 most important metrics in the gaming industry, right now ;)

Falchion

Gotta put some bigger games on Plus to get people subscribed. Or they could have some kind of Game Pass like Xbox is launching soon.

Top Bottom