• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal remote player will launch in select markets on November 15, 2023

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm pretty sure there are more gamers like me with a family life, who do not always have their tvs available for whatever reason, who are buying this for practical reasons.

I don't understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.

video games bird GIF by South Park

So you can't use the Pulse 3D with this unless it plugs in via a jack is that right? But it will also output via small speakers?

Yes, you got it 100% correct.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Has there been any information if this'll run 3rd party apps at all? This is almost a buy from me if it can run Moonlight.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm pretty sure there are more gamers like me with a family life, who do not always have their tvs available for whatever reason, who are buying this for practical reasons.

I don't understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.

You.
Can.
Play.
PS5.
Games.
On.
Your.
Smartphone.
Already.

Keihart

Because a PS portable that plays games natively will need to be supported and Sony doesn't want to divide their first-party publishing and dev resources between PS5 and this hypothetical portable device.
lets be real, with most stuff still getting cross gen support, you know a portable now made more sense than ever.
People are playing Armored Core VI on steam deck just fine.

If its not a quick buck or a blockbuster its not on the current PS management sights.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Pre ordered so I’ll be the guinea pig. Will answer any questions etc when I get it! I have anyone I can multiple which portable consoles and they all work with some compromises hopefully this is the true solution!!

ByWatterson

Can't you just use a phone and the PS App?

It's clunky. Gotta bluetooth the controller, get it synced up, then re-associate the controller with the console when I switch back.

So, minimum, I need a dedicated controller, or a $100 Backbone, and at that point, may as well have a dedicated device.

UPDATE: Wife was receptive to the idea. I think I'm gonna if reviews are good.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Seeing it exclusive to Sony Direct tipped the balance for me to use the pre-order. 99% chance the better half is going to use this device the most like the WiiU tablet for platforming - Sackboy - and has already shown interest in me getting one. With a decent number of PS5's sold worldwide and Sony probably doing a soft release on this accessory with small numbers so close to xmas and nowhere else to buy I've gone with the safe option on the off chance demand outstrips supply massively.

lets be real, with most stuff still getting cross gen support, you know a portable now made more sense than ever.
People are playing Armored Core VI on steam deck just fine.

If its not a quick buck or a blockbuster its not on the current PS management sights.
Armoured Core isn't even a game that would tax previous gen hardware.

Steam Deck also doesn't get universal support, so that would be unacceptable for a PS portable intended to provide another multiplatform hardware target

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yah but the phone doesn’t have Playstation logo. Some diehard fans want to manufacture something to buy Playstation licensed product

Android phone/tablet :

- Button configuration is wrong, X is Square, triangle is O, bumper buttons don't register, touchpad is whack, moving the camera on some games actually activates other buttons.
It's literally unplayable for 99% of Android devices out there with the exception of high-end, 800-1500 Eurodollars phones like the Samsung S22 and S23 - and don't get me started on tablets which fare even worse.
Also : cheaper Phones/tablets with shitty SOCs still have the BT chip AND wi-fi one on the same SOC, meaning, good luck with streaming/internet speeds if you decide to have both enabled, it's a fucking shit show.

- Got a capable, A13 , 1000+ Android phone which doesn't have the button config fucked up and you want to game properly ? A Razer Kishi or a Backbone cost 100 Eurodollars - 100 eurodollars for 3 pieces of plastics put together.

- Don't want to spend 100 Eurodollars for a Kishi/Backbone ? Have fun having to BT-sync your joypad to the phone and then RE-sync it to the PS5 which requires the Sony provided USB cable - it's a fucking ball-ache having to do it every time, also, BT = higher input lag.
What's that ? you wanna connect an USB OTG cable for less lag ? Have fun with the ergonomics and an extra cable hanging from your phone.

- You think that joypad to phone clips do the job ? Have fun having a 200+gr device hanging at an angle from your joypad for more than 30 minutes, your wrists are gonna love you...

- Having to recharge your phone 2+ times a day.

Listen, I know that we're on the internet and that many people just decide to shitpost and - generally speaking - be miserable all the time because it makes them feel good and/or superior but goddamn it if some of you don't sound like parrots.

No opinions, no facts, no 1st hand experience and yet...you decided to shit post and be "cute", love the internet man 😉

Last edited:
Can't you just use a phone and the PS App?
Sure

My problems with using my phone
-I have a 13 Mini so the display is too small.
-Using a controller mount is awkward because the weight is balanced oddly
-Not using a mount is even more awkward because where do I put my phone
-Everytime I want to use my phone for ANY other purpose I have to reconnect to my game
-Can't really afford to waste much battery since my battery is small as well

I could buy a Backbone to alleviate some of that but...
-cramps my hand much like joy cons do
-Backbone doesn't fix most of the aforementioned issues
-Doesn't have Dualsense features
-In my case if I upgrade my phone it won't work anymore and I'd have to buy another one which brings us to the cost of the Portal

I just want a device that I can sit on the couch and play games while we watch tv, or play in bed if I can't fall asleep. This fits all of my criteria.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The point of this is that it's a single and dedicate device, even if it would cost you the same for a tablet + dualsense. And it doesn't have to sell 50 million to be a success, it's an accessory like any other, it doesn't have a big investment behind it nor is it sold at a loss. Nor is it a competitor of steam deck nor pretends to be, it is a dual sense with screen to play with the PS5 without tv, nothing more and nothing less.

This exactly. And the person you replied to talking about remote play on an s7 being somehow comparible is off track.
A tiny screen with crappy controls and a connection that's not optimized is knowhere near the same experience.

I don't understand why people who say they will never use this can't have a more open mind to those who will use it. I'd rather have this than nothing.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I like the idea of this but my use case is limited to playing this while watching movies so $200 is a bit steep. If it bombs, I'll definitely pick one up on the cheap.

Sleepwalker

I like the idea of this but my use case is limited to playing this while watching movies so $200 is a bit steep. If it bombs, I'll definitely pick one up on the cheap.
I think we will see a healthy selection of psps in the amazon warehouse after people with crap internet or that don't understand what it does return it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Well for me in Canada I'm hoping shoppers will carry it so I can get 20x points (30% back) or know a bonus redemption day. ($200 in points to get $300 in stuff)
Either way brings it into an easier buy for me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Android phone/tablet :

- Button configuration is wrong, X is Square, triangle is O, bumper buttons don't register, touchpad is whack, moving the camera on some games actually activates other buttons.
It's literally unplayable for 99% of Android devices out there with the exception of high-end, 800-1500 Eurodollars phones like the Samsung S22 and S23 - and don't get me started on tablets which fare even worse.
Also : cheaper Phones/tablets with shitty SOCs still have the BT chip AND wi-fi one on the same SOC, meaning, good luck with streaming/internet speeds if you decide to have both enabled, it's a fucking shit show.

- Got a capable, A13 , 1000+ Android phone which doesn't have the button config fucked up and you want to game properly ? A Razer Kishi or a Backbone cost 100 Eurodollars - 100 eurodollars for 3 pieces of plastics put together.

- Don't want to spend 100 Eurodollars for a Kishi/Backbone ? Have fun having to BT-sync your joypad to the phone and then RE-sync it to the PS5 which requires the Sony provided USB cable - it's a fucking ball-ache having to do it every time, also, BT = higher input lag.
What's that ? you wanna connect an USB OTG cable for less lag ? Have fun with the ergonomics and an extra cable hanging from your phone.

- You think that joypad to phone clips do the job ? Have fun having a 200+gr device hanging at an angle from your joypad for more than 30 minutes, your wrists are gonna love you...

- Having to recharge your phone 2+ times a day.

Listen, I know that we're on the internet and that many people just decide to shitpost and - generally speaking - be miserable all the time because it makes them feel good and/or superior but goddamn it if some of you don't sound like parrots.

No opinions, no facts, no 1st hand experience and yet...you decided to shit post and be "cute", love the internet man 😉

there are streaming handhelds in the market which are doing the things you do.

bender

What time is it?
Well for me in Canada I'm hoping shoppers will carry it so I can get 20x points (30% back) or know a bonus redemption day. ($200 in points to get $300 in stuff)
Either way brings it into an easier buy for me.

I'm thinking further down the line when/if retailers are trying to clear out stock like back in the day when I picked up a bunch of Move Controllers for $10 to play Johann Sebastian Joust.

//DEVIL//

All I can say is... I wish anyone who buy this gets a perma banned.

no disrespect to all. but if you buy this, then you deserve to get scammed and robbed all your life. not gonna feel sorry for your sorry sad ass.

Aces High

Pre-ordered. If I don't like it I will return it, but very curious either way.
Same. Sony has 30 day return policy in my country so I'll have plenty of time to test it.

If remote play works fine, I'll basically have a handheld with PS5 power. Which sounds amazing on paper. If remote play sucks, I'll send the Portal back to Sony and never buy their stuff again.

iHaunter

As a playstation fan, this device is incredibly stupid and overpriced. $200 for a PS5 WiFi device? if it has PS Cloud that would be a different story. It's almost entirely useless. The fact that it's $200 with such limitations and not even OLED. Who would buy this? I do not understand the market.

vivftp

All I can say is... I wish anyone who buy this gets a perma banned.

no disrespect to all. but if you buy this, then you deserve to get scammed and robbed all your life. not gonna feel sorry for your sorry sad ass.

What a pathetic take. I can't imagine the type of person who might seriously think this way. And lol @ "no disrespect". Do better, be better.

Same. Sony has 30 day return policy in my country so I'll have plenty of time to test it.

If remote play works fine, I'll basically have a handheld with PS5 power. Which sounds amazing on paper. If remote play sucks, I'll send the Portal back to Sony and never buy their stuff again.

Use whatever phone or tablet or PC you have available right now to test remote play. You don't need to wait for the Portal to get an idea of how it works.

As a playstation fan, this device is incredibly stupid and overpriced. $200 for a PS5 WiFi device? if it has PS Cloud that would be a different story. It's almost entirely useless. The fact that it's $200 with such limitations and not even OLED. Who would buy this? I do not understand the market.

Clearly you do not. There're tons of posts in this and other threads from folks who wish to pick one up. Take some time to read through them if you wish to understand.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I honestly think this is soft launching with only the promise of ps5 remote play.

I do see them expanding the offering after launch to their new ps remote cloud solution which is still quiet. It’s coming and may be a spring 2024 offering I can imagine they learn a lot with info from ps5 streaming and prepping for adding cloud gaming

vivftp

I honestly think this is soft launching with only the promise of ps5 remote play.

I do see them expanding the offering after launch to their new ps remote cloud solution which is still quiet. It’s coming and may be a spring 2024 offering I can imagine they learn a lot with info from ps5 streaming and prepping for adding cloud gaming

Pretty much. They need an Android cloud streaming app first before they could ever think to add it to Portal. With their upcoming cloud push, that could be in the cards

MrMephistoX

You can't install Chiaki on it like on Logitech G Cloud/Steam Deck/Abxylute/AYN Odin/Razer Edge/Logitech G Cloud etc, so the answer is NO.
Although I’m sticking with Steam Deck and Chiaki there is something to be said for ease of use out of the box with this: I had to fuck around with bitrate settings and eventually move my modem into my living room and hardwire my PS5 and XSX to get it to work as well as it does now. I’ve also modded the fuck out of my Steam Deck with a new hard drive, windows etc so I’m invested but if I didn’t have one I’d get one of these. Also who’s to say Sony won’t try to ban it from the App Store? It’s totally impossible to ban development but Sony could decide to be dicks and issue a cease and desist any time.

Last edited:

Zadom

I started using backbone on my phone and enjoyed it. Then went to Logitech g cloud and liked it a lot better. Bigger screen and better controls. Was using it for GeForce now and for PSPlay. I’ve gotten to where I only use it for PSPlay and wish it felt more like a dual sense. The PlayStation Portal seems to take what I like about the GCloud and improve on it with bigger screen and much better controls.

It seems perfect for fathers with a young child who wants to still play PlayStation games. Preordered as soon as I could.

Although I’m sticking with Steam Deck and Chiaki there is something to be said for ease of use out of the box with this: I had to fuck around with bitrate settings and eventually move my modem into my living room and hardwire my PS5 and XSX to get it to work as well as it does now. I’ve also modded the fuck out of my Steam Deck with a new hard drive, windows etc so I’m invested but if I didn’t have one I’d get one of these. Also who’s to say Sony won’t try to ban it from the App Store? It’s totally impossible to ban development but Sony could decide to be dicks and issue a cease and desist any time.
Yea its exactly why people choose consoles in the first place, the convenience and brand inclusivity. A guarantee it will work. An automatic transmission over a manual, if you will. How is anyone surprised by this..

Ya know I really don’t blame people who just don’t get this because at first glance it really does sound dumb.

But I just preordered it and I live in a 1br apartment alone. Honestly, I have no desire to get a switch but I grew up with vita/psp/ds/gba/gb and I have seriously missed having that.

I have so many games on my backlog that I just haven’t really touched because sitting in front of my tv just feels a bit much for some of these titles.

Portal gives me the flexibility to throw on a show or youtube on the tv in the background on roku and then play with the portal on the couch like back in highschool.

It having no strong heat generation, being ergonomically sound, all the dualsense features and most likely a 5hr battery life at least is hype. I can bring this work on my off time during lunch and game, that’s sick.

And i’ve tried remote play on alot of other stuff. It’s alright but this is the step above and they’ve been doing this for over a decade at this point so I trust Sony is going to get this device right.

Top Bottom