• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PlayStation] State of play announced for the 31st of January 40 minutes 15+ games

kate-beckinsale.gif

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

RPS37

I know I should hold off on hype, but I just wanted to remember when This is happening and I couldn’t even find the thread.
shit should be stickied.

Zannegan

We used to venerate whole stage shows and live presentations with deep dive gameplay demos and megaton reveals of secret exclusive games and third party heavy hitters

Now the entire gaming community sits around like an emaciated Ethiopian child and laps up these crumbs. Crumbs being lame little rinky dink short showcases of games people largely don’t care about
You're remembering the stage shows very differently than I do. I recall lots of dead air, execuspeak, canned banter, and ovelong but dhallow "vertical slice" demos.

I don't disagree that a lot of gaming directs suck, but that has more to do with the content than the format. Done well, a direct packs way more into a short time span, and an after stream, like Nintendo used to do (still does?) with its Treehouse, delivers the deep dives, interviews, and extended plays. It just cuts the fat.

I do miss E3 though. It was my summer Christmas every year. The Doritos Pope's watered down replacements don't come close.

Jesb

Why do people like remasters? I never understand that, wouldnt uou rather a new ot new game? Ok use the pass games as steps, byt dont force us to buy same trash with pretty pixel
A lot of times we don’t feel that they are capable of making a better game. A lot of times the remaster is better than anything else they’d make.

Matsuchezz

Long running WWE Ric Flair meme on Gaf.
It would appear in all banners and OT's hidden somewhere during the late 2000's.
It's okay if you don't get it 😁
can that reference be found on the forums database, i mean some posts.

the train looks so fun and the near final version looks great!

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
With Halo Infinite being slowly (and sadly) abandoned just as it was reaching its quality apex, I'm gonna need a new FPS with a battle pass and cosmetics and all that shit. I really like having just one of those in the rotation. Destiny slowly battered me into jumping ship, Halo has been excellent, but we're running out of good content soon, I expect.

So let's go Concord!
Comparing Concord to Halo Infinite will be considered a thought crime by the year 2026.

At this point I don’t need to see anything from FFVII Rebirt.
Same.
predator-handshake.gif

EDMIX

What makes you think this event won't have actual surprises?

Beat me to it.

Its not like everything that will be shown was stated officially by Sony or something. In fact, a lot of the State Of Play reveals have not been things stated prior or something.

So i'm sure its either an update for what we know or a series of reveals or a mixture of the 2.

edit. Resident Evil 3 remake was revealed on a State Of Play.

Last edited:

Perrott

Beat me to it.

Its not like everything that will be shown was stated officially by Sony or something. In fact, a lot of the State Of Play reveals have not been things stated prior or something.

So i'm sure its either an update for what we know or a series of reveals or a mixture of the 2.

edit. Resident Evil 3 remake was revealed on a State Of Play. Death Stranding 2 was also revealed on a State Of Play
Exactly.

Sony really likes their surprises and, even though it leaked, just look at how the State of Play announcement doesn't talk about Death Stranding 2 but only mentions Stellar Blade (which wasn't in the leaks, so those don't tell the full story either) and Rise of the Ronin.

There are still one third of the State of Play's contents completely shrouded in mystery. Be excited.

EDMIX

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t these events generally been without much surprises.
? But that doesn't really make sense though...

Sony has stopped doing big press events in regards to any Live Shows, for years now.

Where the fuck are any of those games getting announced that we know of now? As in, where would the first time you hear of any of those games, if not for State Of Play outside of lets say The Game Of The Year awards?

So, unless you are telling me Sony has actually always told us a list of what they'd have in a event, before an event, I have to believe ,clearly many games have been revealed during State Of Plays that we did not know of prior.

Perrott

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t these events generally been without much surprises.
Over the years they've had quite a lot of big surprise showings, such as the re-reveal of Final Fantasy VII Remake, the release date trailer for The Last Of Us Part II, the announcements of Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 4, the first-ever gameplay footage of Street Fighter 6 and The Callisto Protocol, the second Final Fantasy XVI trailer, the reveals of Rise of the Ronin, Tekken 8 and Like a Dragon: Ishin, the final God of War: Ragnarök trailer or, last time, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's third trailer.

All of them completely unannounced beforehand.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Over the years they've had quite a lot of surprise showings, such as the re-reveal of Final Fantasy VII Remake, the release date trailer for The Last Of Us Part II, the announcements of Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 4, the first-ever gameplay footage of Street Fighter 6 and The Callisto Protocol, the second Final Fantasy XVI trailer, the reveals of Rise of the Ronin, Tekken 8 and Like a Dragon: Ishin, the final God of War: Ragnarök trailer or, last time, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's third trailer.

All of them completely unannounced beforehand.
200.gif

Top Bottom