• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 04/23/09

spwolf

chubigans said:
Why do people think Sony is going to unveil a classic game store at E3?

When Sony fixed PS1 games to run on PS3, I thought they were going to start releasing the games. When E3 2008 came, I thought they were going to start releasing the games. When the Playstation Store got ported to PC, I thought they were going to start releasing the games. When the Playstation Store finally arrived on PSP, I thought they were going to start releasing the games. Now comes E3 2009.

I don't forsee it happening. But I hope I'm wrong. That's about all I can hope for at this point.

even if it happens, still no xmb voice chat... sony am fail.

Agent X

Second week in a row without any full games released for PS3? Sony's really slipping.

My PS3's broken and still in repair after 3 1/2 weeks, but even if it were here in fully working order, I wouldn't have bought anything this week. If I could somehow put a positive spin on it, I could say that at least the temptation isn't there now.

chubigans said:

When Sony fixed PS1 games to run on PS3, I thought they were going to start releasing the games. When E3 2008 came, I thought they were going to start releasing the games. When the Playstation Store got ported to PC, I thought they were going to start releasing the games. When the Playstation Store finally arrived on PSP, I thought they were going to start releasing the games. Now comes E3 2009.

I don't forsee it happening. But I hope I'm wrong. That's about all I can hope for at this point.

Yeah, I just don't know what to say anymore. I don't buy into the whole "we have to renegotiate the rights" line of baloney, since Nintendo and Microsoft don't seem to be hitting these roadblocks when putting up classics for Wii and Xbox 360.

According to this Wikipedia page, Microsoft has 29 Xbox 1 games out for download on Xbox 360. At the same time, Sony has only 28 downloadable PS1 classics in North America, despite starting PS1 classics a year earlier. What does Microsoft do to "renegotiate rights" that's different from Sony's approach? Whatever it is, Sony needs to figure out that trick soon.

BTW, right now would be a great opportunity for Sony to start releasing oodles of PS1 classics, to boost their downloadable game selection for both PS3 and PSP. They're not going to catch up with Wii Virtual Console in terms of number of titles anytime soon (value is another story), but on the other hand the DSi just came out, and the offerings on their downloadable store are kind of lame right now. However, there are rumors that they'll offer Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games as downloadable games on DSi in the future. Judging by the rate Nintendo releases classic games on Wii, they could build a large library on DSi very quickly. If this happens, and Sony still hasn't built up their classic library on PSP ahead of time, then it'll be too late. The bloom will be off the rose. Sony will be perceived as a "follower" rather than a "leader", and it won't matter if they release 100 PS1 games the next week.

Don't wait for PSP2. Don't wait for PSP model 4000. Don't wait for E3. Start now, so that when the next PSP comes out and they're trying to push digital downloads, they'll already have an instant library of quality games to go up against the DSi "Virtual Handheld" or the iPhone 3.0 or whatever else might be coming down the pike.

panda21

i didnt want to be a deborah downer in the red faction thread but i thought the demo was terrible.

bad 3rd person shooter with the gimmick that buildings spontaneously turn into managable independent physics governed chunks and then fall down when you touch them with either a hammer or a robot. great.

so basically if people are standing in or on a building you can kill them quicker sometimes but as a gameplay mechanic it doesnt make a crappy game fun.

jett

D-Member
Downloaded the Red Faction demo...the destruction is kinda neat, but the demo made the game seem more like a tech demo than a proper game. I'm tired of these useless 10-minute long demos that seem to be the norm this generation. It takes longer to download the things FFS...

Jtrizzy said:
What is up with the video store? Half the movies I want are in sd and are "own" only. Why would someone pay $15 dollars to download an sd movie?

Probably a lot to do with licensing, some movies are own only, some are rent only (All disney owned movies are rent only), I'm guessing disney (and probably Bond movies) probably have exclusive deals with itunes to sell their movies by DD. Some other movies are SD only on both PSN and itunes like Superbad.

It's funny though how the video store and Home have grown so much since being introduced (though still can be a lot better) and the game (the main part of PSN) hasn't grown as much, at least not in the US, we are in May and there hasn't been 1 PSOne game available for purchase, I've done my part with Suikoden, Castlevania Chronicles and Syphon Filter (thanks thelastword), I might double dip for Castlevania SOTN when I go on vacation again even though I still have the disc.

androvsky

chubigans said:

I'm not going on what a certain banned website posted, I'm basing it off of SCEA saying a month ago they're going after old games from other systems, plus last week's Podcast Beyond basically said Sony will have a bunch of PS1 games up by e3 (I really should transcribe that clip at some point). That and the mysterious sitting on of Capcom's games. Sony didn't bother with PS1 games before because publishers didn't care before... they care now. Well, at least Capcom and Konami do anyway.

I'm certainly not promising a classic game store or willing to bet on it, but I do think there's a decent probability. If there's not one by e3, it gives us a decent date to start giving Sony a royal shitstorm over their abandonment of the games that made them big.

Speevy

Banned
You know what, I'm really glad to be getting Gomibako stateside for $4.99 and will definitely double dip for the English, but this is the second time I've bought a game on the Japanese store for ~$10 more than its US store asking price (the first being echochrome at 1,800 Yen, yes you read that right).

Am I just really impatient, or are these JPN prices ridiculous on PSN originals?

Kagari said:
Fixed. SCEJ is doing just fine.

SCEE is not doing too bad either with PSOne releases, they probably have been getting an average of 1 or 2 per week this year, and they probably have the most PSP releases on their store out of any region. The problem is SCEA.

panda21 said:
i didnt want to be a deborah downer in the red faction thread but i thought the demo was terrible.

bad 3rd person shooter with the gimmick that buildings spontaneously turn into managable independent physics governed chunks and then fall down when you touch them with either a hammer or a robot. great.

so basically if people are standing in or on a building you can kill them quicker sometimes but as a gameplay mechanic it doesnt make a crappy game fun.
Hey if I can launch an APC into the air with a rocket launcher and knock it back down again with another rocket, I'm a happy camper.

The only things I'd complain about is the lack of people inside buildings and the general suckiness of non explosive/destructive weapons like the SMG, Shotty etc. Who wants to use shit like that when you can't knock things over? If I hit something with a melee attack from the shotgun it'll cause a crack in a concrete wall, a burst won't even make a decal. :p

Other than that though it's a great little sandbox, IMO.

I'll definitely buy it once it hits a ~20-30€ price point.

edgefusion

panda21 said:

I agree. Incredibly bland game with a fun novelty that'll wear off after 10 minutes (incidentally the length of the demo).

Danne-Danger: Don't forget that the only line of code entered into the enemy AI's tiny brains is "shoot...occasionally".

Nizz

I'm out of work, but tell ya what, if Sony were to put up the Resident Evil PSone titles on their store soon, I'd gladly whip out the credit card and snatch all three up fast.

Going to try out the Red Faction demo now, but I'm worried about some reactions here.
I think I'll like it.

kassatsu

Banned
jp.png
NOW UP!
/!\ Updates throughout the week.

ADD-ONS

► Shin Sengoku Musou Multi-Raid (PSP)
○ Additional Content Version 9

hk.png
NOW UP!
/!\ Updates throughout the week.

ADD-ONS

► Dynasty Warriors Multi-Raid ( PSP | Japanese Ver. )

► LittleBigPlanet ( English | Chinese | Korean Ver.)
○ Heavenly Sword Mini Pack (HK$ 30.00)
○ Creator Pack

Speevy

Banned
Finally bought Namco Museum.comm.

You know, this collection isn't too bad for the price. The value is awful compared to something you can get in disc form (like the Namco Museum disc for the Xbox 360), but there's some really fun extras and the price is better than the same games bought at 400 points a piece on XBLA.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
NISA should release actual games on PSN. And if someone says "oh no PS2 emulation" then I say "just fucking port it to PS3 then put it on PSN". Can't be that hard>:|

Lord Error said:
Is LBP HS mini pack the same exact thing you could get as a preorder bonus?

No. The preorder bonus was just a Nariko costume. This one has a Kai costume and stickers too. Which kind of sucks if you're like me and already paid $5 to pick up the preorder box from Best Buy.

rainking187 said:
No. The preorder bonus was just a Nariko costume. This one has a Kai costume and stickers too. Which kind of sucks if you're like me and already paid $5 to pick up the preorder box from Best Buy.

but that $5 dollar was already going towards the game unless you're the one that just put $5 dollars down to get the code :lol

DMPrince said:
but that $5 dollar was already going towards the game unless you're the one that just put $5 dollars down to get the code :lol

I preordered and picked up the game at GameStop to get the Kratos code. I paid $5 for the Nariko code at Best Buy so I could have both. I didn't know they'd be coming out with a cheaper, better pack later on.

slade

Isn't Jack Tretton the reason that nothing gets released on the N. American PSN. Regarding the Dark Mist release, I heard his name come up when it was said that the reason the game wasn't released in U.S. and Canada was because Tretton wasn't sure that games of this type (animu) would sell to the audiences here. It's not that big a leap away from why there are no PS1 releases by SCEA anymore and it fits right in line with SCEA's assholish policies regarding SNK releases on PS2. Get rid of Tretton and I bet we'll start to see a change.

-Winnie-

minimoke said:
When the smeg is Europe going to get the interactive Killzone 2 bullet video thingy!?!

Probably never since the bullet video was a US ad. You can get it over at the US store if you really want...

Aru

-Winnie- said:
Probably never since the bullet video was a US ad. You can get it over at the US store if you really want...

I don't understand.
I thought this app was pretty meh.

kassatsu said:
ADD-ONS
► Dynasty Warriors Multi-Raid ( PSP | Japanese Ver. )

Version 9? As in, 9th pack of additional content? But but the demo sucked! I even made a thread about it:D

Speaking of DW, DW vol 2 (psp) is on sale at gamestop - Is it better or worse than warriors orochi?

kuYuri

Cellfactor: Psychokinetic Wars shows up as "coming soon" in latest PS news email, so it's a safe bet it's coming within next few weeks.

Top Bottom