• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store 04/24/08

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:
I came here to say Iron Man is the biggest pile of shit I've played this gen, way to go SL.

So it's not worth downloading at all? I'm just curious to see if it's total crap or not.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
So it's not worth downloading at all? I'm just curious to see if it's total crap or not.
Indifferent2.gif
I have to admit I had a bit fun while it lasted (the demo is quite short). Nothing too special, but I wouldn't call it total crap either...

I would say it's a solid rental at least.

Dante

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

No dude, download it just to see what happens when things go absolutely wrong in game development.

Guled

anyone in North America have the CoD4 map pack. I'm willing to share my Warhawk maps, Everyday shooter, or the mgo beta if you are willing to share the map pack. PM me if your interested.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Iron Man actually gets pretty good once you figure out the controls. I'm not used to depressing L2 halfway and such, but it works. I enjoyed it.

chubigans said:
Iron Man actually gets pretty good once you figure out the controls. I'm not used to depressing L2 halfway and such, but it works. I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed it too, as long as you don't go in expecting the next AAA game it is pretty enjoyable.

Darkpen

Banned
has anyone mentioned that the gallian chronicles theme is available on the Japanese store? I know that the OP says "several themes" or whatever, but I was just curious of people knew D:

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dante said:
No dude, download it just to see what happens when things go absolutely wrong in game development.
I wouldn't go that far. Seems to me they could tweak the control sensitivity/stability and make some significant strides.

Any impressions on Kingdom of Paradise? I assume it isn't a AAA game for PSP or anything, but if it is fun to play through I will pick it up for that price.

I was willing to double-dip for Loco Roco if it was $14.99 or less, but $21.99?!?!? What are they - crazy? :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
Quick R-Types impressions

OMG! R-Type is soooo fucking hard.

After being completely absorbed playing the game for about 2 hours, it was getting late and I started getting really frustrated so I just had to quit. I'll go back to it again though. It's a lot of fun!

I burned through literally 100 lives trying to make it to stage 4 of R-Type 1. They open up a stage select for the levels you've made it to and thank god for that.

The stages are short and there are mid-level checkpoints. Makes it much less frustrating.

If you die or have to continue, you always start from the last checkpoint. They don't kick you back to the beginning of the level.

I love the R-type games. The sound effects, the game mechanics are all just wonderfully conceived and executed. It doesn't look too bad either.

My only complaint is that there aren't enough speed power ups and a lot of times, I feel the game is unfair because my ship maneuvers so damn slowly. grr :(

jjasper

btutterrow said:
Any impressions on Kingdom of Paradise? I assume it isn't a AAA game for PSP or anything, but if it is fun to play through I will pick it up for that price.

I played it when it first came out, it is a pretty good game.

Jim

Iron Man, technically, ain't bad (what's with the lack of shadow though?). As a game, well, I dunno. Wasn't too impressed with Siren, but then again, never played the original.

Also, I guess all those fears of the new PS Store not "loading fast enough" were pretty unfounded. Worked extremely well last night.

tanod

when is my burrito
DCharlie said:
Speevy, despite that i like the game - i agree. It's a fun novelty and a nice show of some of the possibilities - and perhaps is more a way to entice WotC etc to move Card Games to PS3.

I'm just hoping that Eye of Judgement is succesful enough that we can see a version of Magic: The Gathering on the PS3. I'd love to get into Magic again.

@Jim: I agree. Everything loaded almost instantly and I found that while I was browsing through the new lists, the icons loaded up just before I was planning on moving the selector over them. I wish it could be instant but what's in there now works pretty great, IMO.

Just wanted to add: I think R-Types is a must-buy.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
as an update to this (I haven't seen it mentioned in here) it seems most of what's been added to the karaoke revolution game (that was added to XBLM last week) are tracks from the first american idol game. Not all from that game were added (no Total Eclipse of the Heart yet :(), and not all the games that were added were from there, but it looks like they added a nice chunk of songs from that version at least.

and to the european users who don't care because they have singstar...

arghh... where that emote for the middle finger... *searches*

:D

Jim said:
Iron Man, technically, ain't bad (what's with the lack of shadow though?). As a game, well, I dunno. Wasn't too impressed with Siren, but then again, never played the original.

Also, I guess all those fears of the new PS Store not "loading fast enough" were pretty unfounded. Worked extremely well last night.

As comic-book/movie games go I don't think Ironman is bad at all. I enjoyed the demo okay but I think it would get old as a full title. After playing both versions it seems like a decent job was done to get the game the same on both platforms. It's worth the DL and play for the demo, IMO. On the other hand...

I tried out the Lair demo last week, and going by the demo, even with analog controls and all, it's a steaming pile. Controls and framerate are terrible. They were too ambitious with this game, should've shot for 720p. Framerate is very important in a game like this. Glad I didn't jump on the clearance prices I've seen for this at Target. Not even worth $15, again IMO.

As for the store, I agree, it worked wonderfully and it's much improved. I do have two small complaints. 1) Why do I still have to select the HD with the start button before it starts DL a video file? 2) I don't like how demos are now treated as paid games inasmuch as they are placed in a "cart" before they are downloaded, adding an extra step that wasn't there before. Not big problems but things I'd like to see them address with the store.

Jim

Dr. Zoidberg said:
As for the store, I agree, it worked wonderfully and it's much improved. I do have two small complaints. 1) Why do I still have to select the HD with the start button before it starts DL a video file? 2) I don't like how demos are now treated as paid games inasmuch as they are placed in a "cart" before they are downloaded, adding an extra step that wasn't there before. Not big problems but things I'd like to see them address with the store.

You dont have to hit start.. you can also highlight the download thing by hitting to the right and press "x". I've never actually hit start. That extra step is a little odd, but it's quick at least.

Jim

DJmizuhara said:
As you can see, somebody on my friends list is playing Wipeout HD. Does this mean it's coming very soon?

Usually... SCEE/SCEA now has the ability to offer (p)review copies of games via voucher for retail units. It was awesome with GT5p. They sent that out about 2 - 3 weeks before the game hit the store officially.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dr. Zoidberg said:
They were too ambitious with this game, should've shot for 720p.
They did shoot for 720p... The game is not running anywhere near actual 1080p resolution if I remember correctly, and the framerate is even worse in that res. The engine just kinda sucks, that's all there is to it, the whole 1080p talk was just for marketing - I very much doubt anyone at F5 seriously considered making and optimizing this for 1080p.

They tried to optimize it for 720p, but pretty much failed at that as well. If you switch the console to 480p however, the game runs at a pretty rock solid 30FPS, so you could really say the game was made first and foremost for people with SDTVs.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Jim said:
Usually... SCEE/SCEA now has the ability to offer (p)review copies of games via voucher for retail units. It was awesome with GT5p. They sent that out about 2 - 3 weeks before the game hit the store officially.

so only 2 or 3 weeks till da 60FPS 1080P heavenly awesomeness , sweeet :D

Jim said:
You dont have to hit start.. you can also highlight the download thing by hitting to the right and press "x". I've never actually hit start. That extra step is a little odd, but it's quick at least.

Good to know. Thanks. Of course what I'd really like to see are some "options" for the store where you could say "Always DL to HDD" and "Always Queue for Background DL" so that when I hit "Download" on the description screen it pauses for a bit, quickly does it's business, and then I can continue shopping while whatever DLs in the background automatically. Small improvements, to be sure. Be nice for XBLM as well, TBH. Maybe some day.

Pimpwerx

Jim said:
Yeah, the store was just getting pounded on by all three regions when it rolled out, plus the usual teething problems made for a hellish first few days. But the things like greased lightning now. :lol I just wish I didn't get so many 807.... errors. PEACE.

EDIT: Really wierd that I can't get into any store now. I can only assume that BT is killing my router/modem again and that I need to reset both.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ok LTTP , wow at Folklore DLCs ..this is freaking fantastic , keats is so badass

Kittonwy said:
But I've already played Castlevania Curse of Darkness.
angry.gif

yeah CoD is bad game but not an " when things go absolutely wrong in game development"game , CoD wasn't even the worst 3D Castlevania , it's better than Lament of Innocence and both N64 crap .

if you want a " when things go absolutely wrong in game development" games try LAIR or tomb raider angel of darkness and Legacy of Kain Defiance .

Dante

Nightz said:
Echochrome is coming tomorrow according to the PS blog. :D

And just like that my gaming queue just got more jam-packed then it already was......GTA4, MGO, Echochrome, GTP, o_O what month are we in again?????

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Echochrome is the one thing that will make me stop playing GTA4. Not permanently of course, but still, this is great! I've wanted this game since E3.

mollipen

DJmizuhara said:
As you can see, somebody on my friends list is playing Wipeout HD. Does this mean it's coming very soon?

So, this is probably a horribly newbie question, but will the friends list display that for EVERY PS3 game, retail or digital, or does a game have to support the option for listing itself on your friend's list? I've only ever seen one person on my friend's list with a game listed under their name, and I can only think of two games I've seen in that situation. (MBL '08, I think it was, being one of them.)

So I'm curious if that's a standard feature of the XMB, like is on the Xbox 360, or if it is something that only particular games support.

Crisis

Banned
DMPrince said:
Buying PSN version of course. :D

Want to get my hands on the level editor and then hopefully have my levels shared with the world ;3

Is it even coming out on a Blu-ray?

shidoshi said:
So, this is probably a horribly newbie question, but will the friends list display that for EVERY PS3 game, retail or digital, or does a game have to support the option for listing itself on your friend's list? I've only ever seen one person on my friend's list with a game listed under their name, and I can only think of two games I've seen in that situation. (MBL '08, I think it was, being one of them.)

So I'm curious if that's a standard feature of the XMB, like is on the Xbox 360, or if it is something that only particular games support.

The PSN friends list displays what game title you're playing whether or not it's retail or a download. It also displays the name of downloaded PSone titles. Every game does that.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
shidoshi said:

It is standard for everygame, so your friends just must not play very many games.

Dante

shidoshi said:

Yes, PSN and retail PS3 titles, PSOne, and PS2 games as well as Blu Ray will not show up.

PLAYSTATION Store price parity for Canadian consumers

It’s been one of the most frequent requests made during every store update in the past year: Many of you have been asking us to bring Canadian pricing more into line with the exchange rate. As SCEA Senior Vice President Peter Dille mentioned in the comments area of his post on April 15th, “we understand the concerns and are looking to correct the discrepancy.” That time has arrived.

I am excited to let all of our Canadian gamers know that we will be adjusting prices for downloadable content available through the PLAYSTATION Store for the Canadian market as a result of the strengthening Canadian currency vs. the US dollar. We’ll be executing the adjustments in a phased approach prior to the regular PLAYSTATION Store update on Thursday. On May 1, prices on all downloadable content should be updated.

We thank you for your support and patience during the time it took to resolve this discrepancy.

This is great!

The odd thing is that they had adjusted the prices to match the US prices back a few months ago when the Canadian dollar overtook the US for a few days/weeks. Which means they raised it back up by a dollar even though the difference of the two dollars wasn't that high.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Crisis said:
It also displays the name of downloaded PSone titles
What? Since when? I remember they wouldn't show on friends lists when they first came out, heck it'd sign you out of the PSN entirely for a while.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hmmm, now that I think about it, May is going to be a busy month for the PSN. Let me see, there is Echochome to kick off said month and then there is Elefunk, Wipeout HD, PixelJunk Monster: Encore, Super Stardust HD Mutli Pack, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Fatal Inertia EX, and maybe Commando 3.

slade

btutterrow said:

English voice acting is horrible but that's par for the course with an RPG. Actual gameplay is much better then most rpg's out there. It's an action rpg though so if you want turn based stuff look elsewhere. I'd say it's like Onimusha but with more defined RPG elements.

Top Bottom