• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store: February’s Top Downloads

IvanJ

Banned
Very happy for Firewatch, well deserved, it's an excellent game.
Also happy for another great game, Far Cry Primal. Doing great after all the unnecessary forum negativity.

Street Fighter mega bomb, after flopping at retail this settles all speculation of potential 900% digital ratio :p

The Witness not charting is also expected. $40 was just asking too much for a game like that. I am not glad that it didn't sell well, but I am glad that I was correct when arguing that the price is unrealistic for a collection of line puzzles.

Warxard

Banned
Is this the end for the street fighter franchise? Or capcom fighters in general? I think so.

Dawn of NRS is upon us boys.....

Nah, Capcom's gonna support the thing forever. But I genuinely believe SFV may be the only capcom fighter this gen.

Also happy for another great game, Far Cry Primal. Doing great after all the unnecessary forum negativity.

Street Fighter mega bomb, after flopping at retail this settles all speculation of potential 900% digital ratio :p

The Witness not charting is also expected. $40 was just asking too much for a game like that. I am not glad that it didn't sell well, but I am glad that I was correct when arguing that the price is unrealistic for a collection of line puzzles.
The Witness was released in January

AmuroChan

Why is your sales expectations for The Witness higher than even the creator's?

Griss

It could be argued that they failed the nerd community, no?

Nah, the nerd community was the one saying that story mode is for suckers and casuals and that the FGC would carry the game to decent sales. The casual gamer (like me!) is the one who said 'if you don't have that not a lot of people will buy it'.

To be fair, that first crowd's point was that the FGC would carry the game to strong sales over the long run rather than all at once, but this is still a poor launch, and you still clearly need to appeal to more casual fans.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It could be argued that they failed the nerd community, no?

nope, the game is right up there with Alpha 2 out the gate.

it's a shame the internet outrage patrol buried the game but the game will have legs amongst fans of the genre

yyr

Personally, I was floored when The Witness cost more than twice what Braid had cost. I figured both games would be similar in size, scope and price. Maybe I wasn't the only one.

Trace

Banned

So you're ok with paying $20 for a 4 hour game like Firewatch, but $40 for 40 hour game like The Witness is bad because "line puzzles". The Witness is the best game this year, the only reason it hasn't sold that well is lack of understanding of what the game is and lack of marketing.

Holy shit, just noticed the SFV. The gameplay itself is a masterpiece but man you can't really blame people for not supporting it as it is right now.

I hope Capcom finds some way to turn things around.

AmuroChan

The Witness charted fairly low that one week in January, and in February it disappeared altogether. My opinion is that it sold poorly and mostly due to its price.

The facts don't really support your opinion. The game will easily outsell Braid and has already made back it's entire development cost. But I guess if you're comparing its sales to Minecraft, then sure, it's selling "poorly".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...y-shifted-substantially-more-than-100k-copies

SFV not charting in Europe is sad, fantastic game, much better than 4. Wish people would take the time to learn the game instead of complaining about 'where's my modes?"

Capcom will support it forever, but still disappointing to see if off to such a weak start. Community loves it, casuals needs all the fluff to be happy. Hope it can recover, I've turned it on everyday since launch.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Holy shit, just noticed the SFV. The gameplay itself is a masterpiece but man you can't really blame people for not supporting it as it is right now.

here's hoping for a big push around EVO and the first few updates

The facts don't really support your opinion. The game will easily outsell Braid and has already made back it's entire development cost. But I guess if you're comparing its sales to Minecraft, then sure, it's selling "poorly".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...y-shifted-substantially-more-than-100k-copies

why acknowledge facts when it's easier to dismiss the game as "just line puzzles"?

IvanJ

Banned
No Plants vs Zombies? Ouch.

Perhaps the price increase wasn't a great idea.
PvZ2 is suffering on PS4 because of the first game XOne timed exclusivity.
That one sold so poorly on PS4, that it was given away for free to all just two months after release.
So not many people were ready to pay $60 instead of $0 this time.

The first game is great fun with kids, though. I'll be getting #2 as soon as it drops in price a bit.

here's hoping for a big push around EVO and the first few updates

why acknowledge facts when it's easier to dismiss the game as "just line puzzles"?
Yea it could be another Driveclub situation but I think they need to lower the entry point for the digital sales to be higher and eventually get down to a $20 starter download that gives you basically everything us early adopters got on day one with all the season passes and DLC available. That's the only way more people are going to get into it after launch, if the initial price is impulse buy.

Just by seeing story trailer and Daigo doing something amazing at Evo is enough to create interest, but you need an impulse buy price like $30 or so for people to actually try it themselves instead of watching streams all day.

I hope the game at least crossed the million mark.

firelogic

All it's missing is an arcade mode. Who hinges their purchase decision on arcade mode? The 2 most important things are character balance and netcode. Both of which Capcom has completely nailed.

I mean if you play through arcade mode a couple times and aren't concerned with online play, then you're not getting $60 worth anyway. If you do play online, there's hundreds of hours right there to offset the few hours of arcade mode you're missing out on with a cinematic story mode coming in June for everyone. Even the best of arcade modes only take 30mins to an hour to get through with 1 character. I doubt you're going to go through it over and over even with 8 characters. If that isn't your cup o' tea, then fighting games really aren't for you.

kng3025

Anybody have an idea of approximately how many copies a digital game sold being #1 for downloads? I'm really happy the Digimon took first place in both regions for the Vita and hope it convinces Bamco to release the upcoming Digimon world order.

Cornbread78

SAO still rockin' it in NA for Vita. NA confirmed to have better taste...

At least both sides of the pond like Digimon.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sony, in case you're wondering why PS2 games aren't charting in EU, let me give you some advice.

ADD A SECTION ON THE PS4 STORE FOR THE PS2 GAMES AVAILABLE YOU INCOMPETENT MORONS.

Sony are literally hiding PS2 games on the PS4 store in EU. You have to know they exist to find them, and you have to manually type them in to search.

All it's missing is an arcade mode. Who hinges their purchase decision on arcade mode? The 2 most important things are character balance and netcode. Both of which Capcom has completely nailed.

I mean if you play through arcade mode a couple times and aren't concerned with online play, then you're not getting $60 worth anyway. If you do play online, there's hundreds of hours right there to offset the few hours of arcade mode you're missing out on with a cinematic story mode coming in June for everyone. Even the best of arcade modes only take 30mins to an hour to get through with 1 character. I doubt you're going to go through it over and over even with 8 characters. If that isn't your cup o' tea, then fighting games really aren't for you.

Nah man...we who are decent at fighters are in love with the game. The mechanics are good. For the audience that's not as experienced in fighting games though the appeal is trying a lot of characters, graphics, and a bunch of different modes and collectibles and unlocks etc...this is why stuff like Naruto, DBZ, and MKX is selling more, it's appealing more to a casual audience. My only guess to why Capcom would release the game in this state is that they were expecting low sales and will basically release the game every year under the banner of new modes and new story sequences.

SFV Season 2
SFV Season 2
SFV season 3

Etc...

Between Naruto, DBZ, One Piece, MKX, and Smash brothers. It's pretty clear what you need in a fighting game to be successful. Capcom must be ok with starting slow. Although I'm sure they weren't expecting this much backlash about an arcade mode lol. The assets are pretty much in place for one to be there already.

sephi22

SFV not charting in Europe is sad, fantastic game, much better than 4. Wish people would take the time to learn the game instead of complaining about 'where's my modes?"

Capcom will support it forever, but still disappointing to see if off to such a weak start. Community loves it, casuals needs all the fluff to be happy. Hope it can recover, I've turned it on everyday since launch.

It would help newcomers if they added a nice tutorial/trial mode.
Instead you have people posting 'what's a frame trap?' in the Fighting game noobs thread here on GAF but not everyone has access to or can do that.

All it's missing is an arcade mode.
You know this is untrue, but defenders spout it anyway. There's no decent tutorial ramp for newcomers to get up to speed. Unlocking colors in a nightmare. No arcade mode like you mentioned. No trial mode. No spectator mode which irks me in particular because I like playing/chatting with multiple people at once. I say this as a regular player and as someone who owns the game.
There are a bunch of extra modes standard in modern fighting games. Most people don't need all of them, but some like one over the other. For me spectator+lobby is THE MOST important feature in a fighting game. It's not out of the question that Arcade mode could be for someone else. If this game had one or two missing, it's ok. But the fact that they skipped out on every single extra mode that they coul have thought of, really shows where their priorities were. They deserve to crash and burn till they figure out how to be more communicative and transparent.

There's a reason they didn't do a trailer like this for SF V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85HtSkj5d4I
and that they still haven't told us what's coming this month and when. They don't want to come out and say they're doing the absolute bare minumim

AmuroChan

I agree with you, but it's the perception that people need to justify their purchase. I've never heard any Street Fighter fan say how amazing and important the arcade mode is in previous SF games.

Top Bottom