• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation storefront on iOS reveals Uncharted the Nathan Drake collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiyo

Hmm, I'm not so sure.

I can easily see "We need to get Uncharted 4 out this year" turning into "You know what? Nevermind. An Uncharted collection would sell better before releasing Uncharted 4. A delay actually presents a money making opportunity". Probably tacitly understood rather than stated.

But maybe I'm just a cynic.

Yes, Sony would purposefully push back their biggest game for the PS4 yet and miss the holiday season (losing money in the process) to prioritize a remaster. That makes much more sense...

Christos

Hmm, I'm not so sure.

I can easily see "We need to get Uncharted 4 out this year" turning into "You know what? Nevermind. An Uncharted collection would sell better before releasing Uncharted 4. A delay actually presents a money making opportunity". Probably tacitly understood rather than stated.

Yes, but Uncharted 4 becomes a better game because of that and we won't have another Uncharted 3 scenario.

RexNovis

Banned
Just a heads up for people assuming it will be s multidisc collection. 2 things to remember

1. It will likely only include 1 multiplayer campaign (if any) thus the size of the game (either 2 or 3) without the multiplayer would be significantly diminished

2. It was said a while back that support for 100gb BluRay discs would be possible with a firmware upgrade on PS4

Hmm, I'm not so sure.

Are you serious? No that makes no sense whatsoever. Cynic is not appropriate label here at all.

tenz0r

I hope it's called "The Nathan Drake Collection" because it will contain Uncharted 1, 2, 3 and Golden Abyss. If it was called the "Uncharted Trilogy Collection Remastered" then I wouldn't expect Golden Abyss to be included. Either way, Day 1 for me.

kpaadet

Hmm, I'm not so sure.

If you think Sony would push back UC4 for a bunch of remasters, then your not so much a cynic as you are delusional/naïve.

bombshell

I hope it's called "The Nathan Drake Collection" because it will contain Uncharted 1, 2, 3 and Golden Abyss. If it was called the "Uncharted Trilogy Collection Remastered" then I wouldn't expect Golden Abyss to be included. Either way, Day 1 for me.

The answer to which games are included can be seen in the image.

Alienous

Yes, Sony would purposefully push back their biggest game for the PS4 yet and miss the holiday season (losing money in the process) to prioritize a remaster. That makes much more sense...

I have a feeling that an Uncharted Collection pre-release + a mid-year Uncharted 4 release (The Last of Us sold fine) would make more money than an Uncharted Collection post-release + a holiday season Uncharted 4 release.

I think releasing Uncharted 4 first limits the sales potential of the collection.

What a dumb name for a collection.

Dude.....

If they have the testicular fortitude to actually change main characters after next game (A Thief's End), then it's the perfect name for this collection.

I'll miss you, buddy. You deserve your rest :')

You deserve your happiness (with Elena, Drake. Choose wisely).

DrKelpo

Banned
They got lazy and copied the naming convention of the Halo collection?

are we actually discussing that? it's not like MS were very creative with the name to begin with and had some kind of trademark on naming a game collection after the protagonist.

besides that, i'm sure MS wasn't the first one to name a collection like that.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'd love for these to be available in 3D where possible but Sony seems to have lost interest in it.

These are the sizes from the PSN store:

UC1: 20.3 GB
UC2: 20.8 GB
UC3: 43.5 GB

so yeah, I think a multi-disc collection is very likely. I could see Uncharted 3 being a disc by itself with the first two games being on a single disc.

Bare in mind those file sizes will likely increase for the PS4 remasters. There's lots of pre-rendered video that will go from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps. TLoU went from something like 26GB to 44GB. I'm not sure they'll be able to do it on just two discs.

Rated-G

Shoulda been Uncharted Trilogy: Re-GODDAMN-Mastered, packaged with a cigar shaped USB stick and a stick on mustache.

bombshell

I have a feeling that an Uncharted Collection pre-release + a mid-year Uncharted 4 release (The Last of Us sold fine) would make more money than an Uncharted Collection post-release + a holiday season Uncharted 4 release.

You forgot the third, and more likely, scenario.

The collection released in the summer months with U4 in the holidays. With the delay, the collection also got pushed back to polish it further.

Then don't buy them? There's obviously a market for them and if other people want them then why not? It's not like this remaster is delaying Uncharted 4.

There's absolutely a market for them at the moment - the big question is, what's going to happen next generation when everyone will have already played all the re-masters from last gen and new games from this current gen? the previous generation was the last generation of platform exclusives in a lot of ways.

Focusing on remasters and losing focus on new IP for this generation (and making the vast majority of titles cross platform anyway) means next generation there's going to be a severe drop in the amount of gaming content for people.

Toki767

You forgot the third, and more likely, scenario.

The collection released in the summer months with U4 in the holidays. With the delay, the collection also got pushed back to polish it further.

Yeah, this was probably supposed to be out during summer if Uncharted 4 was going to be out this Fall.

Alienous

If you think Sony would push back UC4 for a bunch of remasters, then your not so much a cynic as you are delusional/naïve.

It's not even that. It's like every delay activates a perpetual "remastered collection" trap-card. I think it's naive to believe that knowing you have a easily profitable back-up wouldn't impact a company's view of delaying games.

Card Boy

Banned
The twist in UC4 is Eddy Raja is actually alive and Naughty Dog pulls a Kojima and makes Eddy the main character sense why this is the Drake Collection.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
There's absolutely a market for them at the moment as last generation was the last generation of platform exclusives - the big question is, what's going to happen next generation when everyone will have already played all the re-masters from last gen and new games from this current gen?

Focussing on remasters and losing focus on new IP for this generation (and making the vast majority of titles cross platform anyway) means next generation there's going to be a severe drop in the amount of gaming content for people.

They will continue just as they have this generation. Remastering old content does not impact new content. It's not like Sony or Nintendo is going to stop making new games just because they once made a game for PS1.

GnawtyDog

Banned
81hPh6u-0nL._SL1280_.jpg

It's natural for people to jump on the Chief Bandwagon copycat...it's very recent and easy to recall. It's not the first tho...and neither is Uncharted Sony's first.

Toki767

It's natural for people to jump on the Chief Bandwagon copycat...it's very recent and easy to recall.

To be fair, those games are called Sly/Sly Cooper though. What else could they have called it?

It's not like they called the God of War Saga the Kratos Collection.

GnawtyDog

Banned
To be fair, those games are called Sly/Sly Cooper though. What else could they have called it?

It's not like they called the God of War Saga the Kratos Collection.

The Thievius Raccoonus Collection?

I like the names. Puts the protagonist name out there... instead of just "Uncharted". More visibility is good - in terms of marketing at least.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'd love for these to be available in 3D where possible but Sony seems to have lost interest in it.

Bare in mind those file sizes will likely increase for the PS4 remasters. There's lots of pre-rendered video that will go from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps. TLoU went from something like 26GB to 44GB. I'm not sure they'll be able to do it on just two discs.

Watch them leave the video at 30fps, and watch people get really upset about it.

El_Cinefilo

If it's reasonably priced (£40/$60) for all three on disc then I'll pick it up for sure.

Is there a chance they'll just release it digitally though? then people could buy them separately or together for a discount?

I think releasing Uncharted 4 first limits the sales potential of the collection.

It's a chicken or egg situation; even if you reverse it, It's quite likely for people to pick up the UC trilogy after enjoying UC4 (which will be heavily marketed and sell tons regardless)

I-hate-u

Is MP confirmed to be included?

The Uncharted games are so fun to sit back, chill and play. Can't wait to tread the uncharted territories again

Please don't be a disaster launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom