• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation+ subscribers increased 22% in 2020

Bryank75

Banned
That's $2.8 billion in revenue if we go by $60 per sub.

I don't ever want to hear how games are more expensive to make than ever. Their profits are better than ever too.

Bring back Japan studios.
100% my issue!

We were told games cost more to make as the excuse to raise prices and put exclusives on PC.... then downsized Japan. Meanwhile they made record profits, as you say.
It's an insult to our intelligence.

PlayStation on it's own made enough to buy Kadokawa or Sega.

Last year they made 2.41 billion...

Without investing in growth, it's gonna be very slow.... MiHoYo would cover mobile and console, would be a great growth purchase IMO.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
100% my issue!

We were told games cost more to make as the excuse to raise prices and put exclusives on PC.... then downsized Japan. Meanwhile they made record profits, as you say.
It's an insult to our intelligence.

PlayStation on it's own made enough to buy Kadokawa or Sega.

Last year they made 2.41 billion...

Without investing in growth, it's gonna be very slow.... MiHoYo would cover mobile and console, would be a great growth purchase IMO.

Honestly I think $3.3B pure profit doesn't mean much when you literally spent around $22.2B.

fragganaut

You should try it, it's pretty good. It's on Game Pass btw.
Every Game Pass user should download it and play it for the coming months, even if the person doesn't like MLB at all, that way MS can't remove it from Game Pass and therefore generating income for Sony and MLB.
In all fairness Microsoft will recuperate it's costs later on but this is a different story that none of the XBox fans will tell.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, they've offered some pretty compelling perks. So I wouldn't be surprised that those numbers have gone up. Especially during the year of the COVID boom.

I bought one of those physical cards and just went that route as they're usually going for a great price.

I may not really be using it, but it's there! Haha.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's just the way business works.... Amazon for instance had revenue of 386 Billion in 2020, yet only made 21 Billion net income.

Wow! That's only double Sony's net income of $10B out of $80B revenue! Sony is pretty efficient then. Thanks for the details.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly I think $3.3B pure profit doesn't mean much when you literally spent around $22.2B.
Sony did not spend $22 billion. that was their revenue, not their operating costs.

PS division is extremely profitable for them. They used to buy studios like GG, Evolution Studios, Sucker Punch and Media Molecule in the PS3 days when they already had Zipper, ND, SSM and Bend. This is back when they did not have PS+. Now they make $2.8 billion in extra money they never did, most of it profit, and they are penny pinching like never before?

Their revenues from digital are way up. they get a 30% cut for it compared to the 10% cut they used to get from the PS3 and PS2 days when everything went through retail. Microstransactions are bigger than ever this gen and they get a 30% cut of that too. Fornite makes what $2.4 billion a year from microtranscations? PS is THE biggest piece of that pie. They are making hundreds of millions from fortnite alone.

yurinka

Do revenue include money spent developing the next gen consoles or is that a 2019 thing?
Revenue is the amount of money customers paid to these companies.

When you subtract to the revenue costs and investments like developing consoles, salaries, taxes, shipments, acquisitions, etc then you get the profit or loss.

Revenue is the amount of money earned, the business generated by the company. The more revenue they generate, the more money they will have to reinvest to make more games, secure more deals, to improve hardware and services in the future, etc. Companies traditionally reinvest most of the revenue they generate every year, leaving a small portion of it for the profits.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony did not spend $22 billion. that was their revenue, not their operating costs.

PS division is extremely profitable for them. They used to buy studios like GG, Evolution Studios, Sucker Punch and Media Molecule in the PS3 days when they already had Zipper, ND, SSM and Bend. This is back when they did not have PS+. Now they make $2.8 billion in extra money they never did, most of it profit, and they are penny pinching like never before?

Their revenues from digital are way up. they get a 30% cut for it compared to the 10% cut they used to get from the PS3 and PS2 days when everything went through retail. Microstransactions are bigger than ever this gen and they get a 30% cut of that too. Fornite makes what $2.4 billion a year from microtranscations? PS is THE biggest piece of that pie. They are making hundreds of millions from fortnite alone.

Well, Housemarque and Bluepoint should be the obvious acquisitions for being small and efficient. Kojima doesn't want to be acquired though. Also, do they even wanna be acquired?

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Revenue is the amount of money customers paid to these companies.

When you subtract to the revenue costs and investments like developing consoles, salaries, taxes, shipments, acquisitions, etc then you get the profit or loss.

Revenue is the amount of money earned, the business generated by the company. The more revenue they generate, the more money they will have to reinvest to make more games, secure more deals, to improve hardware and services in the future, etc. Companies traditionally reinvest most of the revenue they generate every year, leaving a small portion of it for the profits.
Thank you for the explanation.

Not gonna lie, I’m pretty damn rusty in my high school economics.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Every Game Pass user should download it and play it for the coming months, even if the person doesn't like MLB at all, that way MS can't remove it from Game Pass and therefore generating income for Sony and MLB.
In all fairness Microsoft will recuperate it's costs later on but this is a different story that none of the XBox fans will tell.

Hey, you only posted 11 times around here since 10 years, this makes me proud that I seem to entertain you as I see a lot of reactions from you. Thanks a lot and enjoy gaming and life! 🥳

yurinka

GamePass probably has about 18 to 20 million subscribers. PS+ has 47 million subscribers.

GamePass costs Microsoft many times more than what PS+ costs Sony, and GamePass is also available on PC.

This is going to be interesting. Maybe Sony is not as stupid as some think. The numbers still prove them right at the moment.
PS subscriptions combined, in addition to have more subscribers than the MS subscriptions combined, they also generate more revenue than the MS ones.

And must be more profitable, because deals to put there mostly old games who already completed their sales life cycle is much cheaper for them than to secure deals to put games there day one.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Considering Sony made over 10 billion from around 80 billion of Revenue.... that's what I mean, it's about the proportion.

That's a good point, but lets try not to lose sight that $21 Billion in pure profit is crazy high. Plus Amazon's operational cost are INSANE! They have their own Airplanes that helps ships packages in a matter of hours.

fragganaut

Hey, you only posted 11 times around here since 10 years, this makes me proud that I seem to entertain you as I see a lot of reactions from you. Thanks a lot and enjoy gaming and life! 🥳
Yeah I'm mostly reading, because by the time I usually have a Message written, most of the Thread has switched to a different topic :messenger_beaming: ...you are one of the "reasonables" here might be the reason why I tend to agree with your posts.

Mahavastu

Yeah from CDKeys or something? Also they're forced to put a PS5 game every month, and that opens the door for some pretty good games around. I think the quality might degrade going forward when there are more mediocre next gen games, I don't know.
CDKeys not really needed for 40 euros.
Here in Germany (and probably the rest of Europe) Playstation had (very) few Sales, where you could get the 12months PS+ subscriptions for an official price of 40-45 euro at large online/offline retailers.
I got mine short after the PS5 release, but there was also a sale in the summer. When you are not in a hurry it is fine

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah I'm mostly reading, because by the time I usually have a Message written, most of the Thread has switched to a different topic :messenger_beaming: ...you are one of the "reasonables" here might be the reason why I tend to agree with your posts.

Thank you, mate! It's an honor.

ron-moved.gif

CDKeys not really needed for 40 euros.
Here in Germany (and probably the rest of Europe) Playstation had (very) few Sales, where you could get the 12months PS+ subscriptions for an official price of 40-45 euro at large online/offline retailers.
I got mine short after the PS5 release, but there was also a sale in the summer. When you are not in a hurry it is fine

It's $50 from Oman PS Store, seems to be $60 in the US and probably more on other markets for PS Plus. But I use a US account and just buy it from their store at $60. Let my buddy Jimbo enjoy that full cash.

jim-ryan-playstation-1.original.jpg

Bryank75

Banned
What PlayStation needs is their own Minecraft... or Roblox or something like that.

Some perpetual game that is on mobile and PC, that generates constant revenue from MTX.....then they should require a PSN login and put incentives to join PS+ (Free in game credit every month, unique costumes).
That would boost the PS+ number a lot IMO.

SlimySnake

Well, Housemarque and Bluepoint should be the obvious acquisitions for being small and efficient. Kojima doesn't want to be acquired though. Also, do they even wanna be acquired?
I wasn't just talking about acquisitions. I was just responding to rumors that they killed DG2 and Death Stranding 2 because they didnt sell well. Despite both of them being profitable.

But yes, bluepoint's next game should be fully funded by them like SOTC and Demon Souls. Same goes for kojipro.

And make ND bigger. There was an interview recently where their CEO was going how they still cant do multiple teams because of management issues. And Im like just have two separate teams with their own production staff completely independent from one another. Why ND only has 300 employees is beyond me. They are not some mom and pop shop desperately clinging on to their "culture". Fuck your culture. They are too big for that. Give directors all the power and have everyone else work on HIS vision. If he is willing to let his team experiment, good. But it's 2021 and you cannot pretend you are an indie studio where hiring more people will fuck with the team synergy.

Same goes for SSM and GG. These studios should all have multiple teams that do not even have to think about stealing resources from one another. Promote from within. Have the lead designer of TLOU make his own game. Have Neil continue to work on TLOU if he wants. Let Cory make his new IP and dont just give him 5 people to go make it. Give him a full team from day one and hit the ground running. Have someone else lead GoW2.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What PlayStation needs is their own Minecraft... or Roblox or something like that.

Some perpetual game that is on mobile and PC, that generates constant revenue from MTX.....then they should require a PSN login and put incentives to join PS+ (Free in game credit every month, unique costumes).
That would boost the PS+ number a lot IMO.

I think that's what they're seeking now with the newly established Mobile Division.

But now they're more serious:

Bryank75

Banned
I think that's what they're seeking now with the newly established Mobile Division.

But now they're more serious:

Yeah but they should have bought something tried and true, to start the mobile part off on the right footing.

Not Fate/Grand Order cause that's Sony Music.....

They missed the boat on Roblox.....something like Genshin would work I think.
Then add games from the PS brands to build out from there.

An Astrobot mobile game might work well or an old style GOW game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah but they should have bought something tried and true, to start the mobile part off on the right footing.

Not Fate/Grand Order cause that's Sony Music.....

They missed the boat on Roblox.....something like Genshin would work I think.
Then add games from the PS brands to build out from there.

An Astrobot mobile game might work well or an old style GOW game.

I think PSP games or Vita games are cheaper to port and make some good money. But they can ride the hype as it's not too risky and expensive to try their luck like on PS5's AAA.

SlimySnake

Wow! That's only double Sony's net income of $10B out of $80B revenue! Sony is pretty efficient then. Thanks for the details.
Amazon actually made no profits for almost 2 decades. Their stock kept going higher and higher though because capitalisms a fucking joke. Netflix is the same way. Some companies like Tesla are propped by Wallstreet based on what they COULD become in the future while other successful companies that post profits on a regular basis are treated like aids.

Amazon was allowed to invest and invest and invest because investors saw the future of online shopping, but Amazon did far more than just online shopping. Now Sony on the other hand couldnt really invest much in anything because they were held to a different standard; make profits nao! No one at Wallstreet looked at how fast gaming was growing. they are still not doing it. I remember reading an article on how gaming industry revenue is now bigger than the global movie revenue and ALL of American sports revenue combined. And yet, no investors bank on Sony like they do Amazon when they allowed them to go from an online book seller to a $380 BILLION global conglomerate spending billions on tv shows, movies, games, cloud services, and everything else they can get their hands on.

It's an unfair game. Who knows where Sony would be now if investors had the foresight to see the potential of the gaming industry ten or even five years ago.

Bryank75

Banned
Amazon actually made no profits for almost 2 decades. Their stock kept going higher and higher though because capitalisms a fucking joke. Netflix is the same way. Some companies like Tesla are propped by Wallstreet based on what they COULD become in the future while other successful companies that post profits on a regular basis are treated like aids.

Amazon was allowed to invest and invest and invest because investors saw the future of online shopping, but Amazon did far more than just online shopping. Now Sony on the other hand couldnt really invest much in anything because they were held to a different standard; make profits nao! No one at Wallstreet looked at how fast gaming was growing. they are still not doing it. I remember reading an article on how gaming industry revenue is now bigger than the global movie revenue and ALL of American sports revenue combined. And yet, no investors bank on Sony like they do Amazon when they allowed them to go from an online book seller to a $380 BILLION global conglomerate spending billions on tv shows, movies, games, cloud services, and everything else they can get their hands on.

It's an unfair game. Who knows where Sony would be now if investors had the foresight to see the potential of the gaming industry ten or even five years ago.
Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

Absolutely spot on!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
100%.... Golden Abyss and the two PSP GOW games and just add mobile controls. I think they'd be pretty cool.

Yeah it's just too good for mobile gaming in terms of quality. Pumping those games into mobile gaming will make them standout like they are now with their top tier AAA games. Also releasing accessories to make them VITA-like for those not interested in taking a DS4/DualSense around.

GameSir-X2-Type-C-Mobile-Gamepad-Game-Controller-for-Xbox-Game-Pass-PlayStation-Now-STADIA-GeForce.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

But you can bluetooth connect anyway while mounted on the phone or use some of those mobile covers and use the controller freely:

orzly-ps5-controller-mobile-gaming-clip-dualsense-controller-phone045333b2.jpg

ps5-dualsense.jpg

Yeah that was xCloud, lol. You can as well play on Android and Apple TV with those mobile games:

appletvdualsense_large.jpg

This is cheap and convenient to most parents who can't afford console gaming as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

That's pretty enlightening! But I think investors will invest big as Sony is entering the automobile business pretty soon with many German and high profile partners to make it nearly too hard to fail!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox Live was perfect than Microsoft manifested game pass that’s a little crazy imagine trying to finish all those games in a month that some people won’t finish in a life time.

reksveks

GamePass probably has about 18 to 20 million subscribers. PS+ has 47 million subscribers.

GamePass costs Microsoft many times more than what PS+ costs Sony, and GamePass is also available on PC.

This is going to be interesting. Maybe Sony is not as stupid as some think. The numbers still prove them right at the moment.
Apparently as for April 20th, that Gamepass number hit 23m

reksveks

The problem is that you as a stockholder can't tell the difference between bad investment and good investment. The reason that Amazon didn't make profits was cause they were dumping money into their logistics and aws.

Andodalf

Banned

PS+ competes against gold, as everyone knows. How dumb do you think the people on this board are? Or is this one of those posts you make to help convince your other warriors that everything alright?

Mr Moose

I see they can do nice animated infographics, but what's the source here? Why not just wait a week until the official Sony report?
It's old news.
Sony also added 1.5 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, taking it to 47.4 million, and sold 4.1 million copies of its flagship Spider-Man game.
February 3, 2021
Edit: Beaten, badly.

Last edited:

Miles708

Ps plus, my backlog is simply incredible. Days gone and control and + a host of other amazing games still to be played.

Considering the price i paid, and the quality you get, it's simply amazing.

I am basically paying 35 quid a year and maybe buying a few games on a super cheap sale.

One very happy playstation gamer :messenger_sunglasses:
Only to have it all taken away as soon as you stop paying.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

MetalRain

Hmm, I haven't renewed my sub after 2019, I think I was subscriber almost 10 years. And probably would have it still if I had PS5.

I assume there are millions in situation like me, so maybe 2022 will be even better year for PS+?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The Artisan. Fuck... I forgot about that poster.
He used to go by Irfan in the Cricket threads IIRC. Everyone hated him lmao.

He's now a mod over at ERA which is hilarious because the guy used to post suicidal threads all the time. Surely, we cant have people with severe depression and mental illness moderating forums, no?

Top Bottom