• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation to discontinue 'accolades' due to lack of use

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

In fall of 2022, the Accolades feature on PlayStation 5 will no longer be supported. The feature hasn’t seen the level of usage we anticipated, so we are refocusing our efforts. We encourage the community to continue to send positive messages to one another.

E7aQmTAXIAITEQc.jpg

These had potential but often the implementation was poor, it wasn't obvious how to give them and they were never really integrated into profiles. I'd prefer they tried to make them useful tbh.

JLB

Banned
didnt know about this, sounds like a great idea. Any idea why this didnt work? poor implementation maybe?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
nice idea, piss poor implementation. Only used it in GoT:Legends, was too easy to miss on game stats screen and felt pointless except for giving kudos to strangers.

Doesn't help that the most popular MP these days can have over 100 players in a single match, how the hell are you supposed to give individual players kudos? How do you even remember who and why?

Would be helpful for coop games and the like, but I've never actually seen the feature in a game so.... yeah. I actually assumed it was still a placeholder feature and didn't launch yet lol

ManaByte

I forgot this was even a thing. Reminds me of the 5 star system on 360 that never really went anywhere.

That was part of the OS though and games didn't have to specifically support it.

This was an OS feature that a game had to support. I think it was only supported by Destruction All Stars, Black Ops Cold War, MK11, GOT Legends, and Blood Hunt.

Esca

I think they should rework it because the idea it self is good imo. Make it so the OS puts up a screen up after a match so they can vote and make it optional to turnoff.
I'd also tie some like avatar rewards to it for contributing after so many matches

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I like these, but honestly figured more games use them. I mostly play Battlefield and Siege online and only the latter supports them.

bender

What time is it?
As pointless as the world weather feature they added to the ps3.

At least we got Folding@Home.

Well, gamers are either scums or have no time for extra hassle.

It's human nature to want to spend time being negative, petty or complaining instead of complimentary of good experiences. It's why rating systems, even when implemented well on something like XBL, are inherently flawed.

Last edited:

Aenima

Yeah, only games i saw using this was Destruction Allstars. Its a cool idea for multiplayer games, but if no ones using it better scrap it.

activity cards going next

i can't remember using them effectively a single time except for spiderman
Nah, Activity cards are excelent. I dont use them too often cuz i still play alot of PS4 games, but just recently used them in Stray.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Nah, Activity cards are excelent. I dont use them too often cuz i still play alot of PS4 games, but just recently used them in Stray.

it is an excellent idea especially for open world games but nobody seems to be using it. most modern games want you to log in to a server before you can do anything else.

Reactions: Isa

Quasicat

Doesn't help that the most popular MP these days can have over 100 players in a single match, how the hell are you supposed to give individual players kudos? How do you even remember who and why?

Would be helpful for coop games and the like, but I've never actually seen the feature in a game so.... yeah. I actually assumed it was still a placeholder feature and didn't launch yet lol
Good call. Not only are the number of players a contributing factor, with crossplay many of those players may be competing systems.
I have a weekly Fortnite call where three times four of us hop on and chat while playing; we play Fortnite since everyone has something different. One guy has a PS5, one has a Switch, one has a PC, and I switch between Xbox and cloud streaming depending on where I’m at in the house.

Didn't know about, well I only have Demon Souls , Returnal, as PS5 exclusives, which don't have dedicated multiplayer, so that is probably why. I think this is a good idea for those who play multiplayer games (not me anymore, really).

Typical of Sony though to remove something instead of fixing it. .... cough cough Vita, Socom, Days Gone, Evolution studios, Zipper, The Order, PS Home, 3D tech, Resistance, did i say VITA? ... and over funds crap that isn't needed, last of us remake, gaas games.

Are they removing features already? At least with the PS3 they waited 3 years before removing otherOS
You can thank that ahole geohot for that and the hackers. They single hadedly pushed sony to get rid of other os, Socom, and motorstorm as those franchises were victim of the outage from the hack , and instead of fixing their shit they just disbanded the dev teams and shelved the franchises. SAD

It was ok.

Making developers add the feature? You already lost. It should be a OS feature. You put the game and profile and give it a rating. “Helpful, Toxic, etc”, something of the sort.. anyways BYEE

ReBurn

Gold Member
Were they relying on third party devs to include support for this in their games? Because if so that's why nobody used it. Those guys just stick to their formulas.

sainraja

I wanted Bungie to add this in Destiny. I've had really good experiences playing with others overall and wanted to give some people an accolade but D2 didn't have that option.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It was buried, not supported or easily seen after multiplayer matches. Bit of joke that they are citing lack of use when implementation was so horrible.

sainraja

It was buried, not supported or easily seen after multiplayer matches. Bit of joke that they are citing lack of use when implementation was so horrible.
Sure, yeah, but I think making it a developer choice was probably the right call — it would have had more visibility within the game's UI over requiring people to go to a separate OS screen. But yeah, there are ways they probably could have found to make it work for a specific game while it was running. Maybe or hopefully we will see a feature like it return with better implementation.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was this Accolades thing public on your profile or only you can see it? If it's private only, who cares. But if it's public you can scope out people who have lots of accolades as potentially good gamers to be friends with.

G-Bus

Banned
I wasn't even aware of these until I played Deep rock galactic. I think that's the only game I have received them in and outside of seeing that notification ding I never thought about them.

It was kind of nice seeing that. Like someone actually took the time to do that and must have appreciated the way I was playing.

I think it gave a prompt in the top right corner to give them at the end of the match but it was fast? I can't recall too clearly. It was unintuitive enough where I was mindful of trying to give them and wasn't able to or something.

K2D

Banned
Seems like it would be worth while to check if it were actually accessible.. or there were any worthwhile mp ps5 games to check out..

Top Bottom