• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Proc

What wired little device. I'd be sold if I didn't hear such polarity when it comes down to the functionality of remote play. It would be nice to take my ps4 around the house.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It isn't on the compatible games list so I would assume that's a no unless another poster has done the same with success.

Do games have to be specifically whitelisted? Because it wasn't on the PSV compatibility list either unless you transferred it from PS3. I kinda want to test.

antibolo

Banned
Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly sure that any PS1 and PSP game that is compatible with the Vita is also compatible with the PSTV, including those that you have to sideload from a PS3.

GravyButt

Thinking bout going to the store in a few to get one. Two questions though

How good is the stream for ps4 games?

Can you stream apps, like the wwe network or netflix?

SScorpio

Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly sure that any PS1 and PSP game that is compatible with the Vita is also compatible with the PSTV, including those that you have to sideload from a PS3.

I'm not sure about PS1 games, but PSP games aren't. Castlevania Dracuala X, Metal Gear Peace Walker, and Final Fantasy III didn't work at launch. No idea if they've fixed or not yet.

Y2Kev

I'm not sure about PS1 games, but PSP games aren't. Castlevania Dracuala X, Metal Gear Peace Walker, and Final Fantasy III didn't work at launch. No idea if they've fixed or not yet.

Why does this make any sense? Nothing about this thing makes any sense.

jwk94

According to you. According to others, better than Vita streaming.
Others? What others? Have you not seen the responses in this thread and around the Internet? Remote play on the PS TV has lag for some bizarre reason unlike the ps Vita. I can play from 70 miles away on my Vita and the experience is flawless but mere inches away on the PS TV results in a laggy experience.

Baron

Quick question for those who own a Vita and the PSTV - Can you simply take the memory card out of your Vita, put it in the PSTV, and play the (compatible) games you've got on the memory card without having to redownload or reformat anything? And then put the card back in your Vita and continue playing on the Vita?

kvothe

Others? What others? Have you not seen the responses in this thread and around the Internet? Remote play on the PS TV has lag for some bizarre reason unlike the ps Vita. I can play from 70 miles away on my Vita and the experience is flawless but mere inches away on the PS TV results in a laggy experience.

Digital Foundry, IGN, and CNET all say it works well with a wired connection.

Side note: I have found that my vita streaming is worse right next to my PS4 and better on the other side of town. Maybe it's similar with PSTV?

Additional side note: I don't own a PSTV.

namDa65

Quick question for those who own a Vita and the PSTV - Can you simply take the memory card out of your Vita, put it in the PSTV, and play the (compatible) games you've got on the memory card without having to redownload or reformat anything? And then put the card back in your Vita and continue playing on the Vita?

Yes.

I just bought one and am sort of dissapointed at the compatibility games list :(. For now it is my PSNOW machine since I am a student away from home.

LMAO, I knew Netflix didn't work, but I wasn't expecting Hulu not to work either.

So uh, what's the point of calling it Playstation TV if it cannot even play any TV?

Audette

I know it's a pipe dream but I would really love to see a UMD player attachment. I want nothing more than this. The machine seems pretty cool despite all of its flaws, I just want to be able to properly play by my UMD disks on television.
So many rare and none digitally released titles...

ClearData

I wanted to chime in with my remote play impressions. It takes a very long time to connect, but once it does I don't notice any issues. I've played Dust and Sound Shapes so far.

Also, do you guys mind posing your network setups? A lot of individual factors affect network performance and those seeking accurate impressions for this feature might have a closer barometer if they know the setups are comparable.

Connection type: Wired Ethernet for both PS4 and PSTV.

Speed: 90mbs down / 10 mbs up

ISP: Brighthouse Networks

Yuterald

So, was I reading that there's input lag for all games running on this? What's the deal? I bought this on impulse the other night and tried out Muramasa and I couldn't really tell or not if I was experiencing these issues.

Y2Kev

There's no logical rhyme or reason why PSP games that are compatible with PS Vita not to work with PS TV. Absolutely none. There are no touch screen functionalities in any PSP games. That Sony couldn't get this right is just...my head asplode.

You basically have a device for crappy PS4 streaming (buy a second or third or eighth PS4 like me), limited PS Vita games, PS1 games on the store, and a SUBSET of LIMITED PSP GAMES!!! WTF SONY THIS MAKES NO SENSE

you can't even use EXISTING PS VITA STREAMING APPS LOL

So, was I reading that there's input lag for all games running on this? What's the deal? I bought this on impulse the other night and tried out Muramasa and I couldn't really tell or not if I was experiencing these issues.
I have a feeling that keeping your controller plugged in may minimize any input lag due to Bluetooth, just like on the PS3. I confirmed that a certain USB adapter worked with my wired X360 controller, so it's not limited to only wireless communications.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Borderlands 2 works for me after downloading a patch. So unless someone can confirm that Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 works on their PSTV, there's definitely no differences between the whitelist for PSTV and Vita TV.

Magwik

Banned
There's no logical rhyme or reason why PSP games that are compatible with PS Vita not to work with PS TV. Absolutely none. There are no touch screen functionalities in any PSP games. That Sony couldn't get this right is just...my head asplode.

You basically have a device for crappy PS4 streaming (buy a second or third or eighth PS4 like me), limited PS Vita games, PS1 games on the store, and a SUBSET of LIMITED PSP GAMES!!! WTF SONY THIS MAKES NO SENSE

You really wanted to play Tomb Raider, didn't you?

potam

Banned
Ugh, I feel like such a dummy for unboxing it. I still haven't set it up, and I don't really have any immediate plans too. I just need to not be lazy and ship it back to Amazon.

SScorpio

I have a feeling that keeping your controller plugged in may minimize any input lag due to Bluetooth, just like on the PS3. I confirmed that a certain USB adapter worked with my wired X360 controller, so it's not limited to only wireless communications.

It won't help. I posted a video early in the thread where I have a PS4 and PSTV connected to monitors side by side. The DS4 was connected to the PSTV and remote playing which still displays everything on the PS4. I could play games just fine when watching the PS4's screen, but not on to the PSTV.

So the lag is purely in the video encoding/decoding process. Since the Vita's remote play works much better for most people, it has to be something with the decoding of the image, or maybe a laggy HDMI encoder chip, while the Vita has a faster display chip.

Borderlands 2 works for me after downloading a patch. So unless someone can confirm that Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 works on their PSTV, there's definitely no differences between the whitelist for PSTV and Vita TV.
I think this is what we like to call a hasty generalization.

As for the missing PSP and PS1 games... It has to be some sort of dumb licensing issue. Metal Gear Solid was on the compatibility list until a few days before release. The difference in this case is that they didn't leave a loophole in the system...

It won't help. I posted a video early in the thread where I have a PS4 and PSTV connected to monitors side by side. The DS4 was connected to the PSTV and remote playing which still displays everything on the PS4. I could play games just fine when watching the PS4's screen, but not on to the PSTV.

So the lag is purely in the video encoding/decoding process. Since the Vita's remote play works much better for most people, it has to be something with the decoding of the image, or maybe a laggy HDMI encoder chip, while the Vita has a faster display chip.
We weren't talking about remote play.

RK128

So the PS TV isn't good at all? That is a damn shame :(; for 100 bucks it is a solid way to play some PSP/PS1 games.....

Regarding Remote Play being iffy for some, could it be from the PS TV supporting a higher resolution then the Vita's Remote Play? I know the PS Vita Remote Play with PS4 is HD but considering the size of the screen (aka it not being a huge TV), it has to be capped at a lowered Resolution then the PS4's output (like say.....720p instead of 1080p?).

With the PS TV being directly connected to a TV, I would imagine that it would be outputting a higher resolution (1080i), so that might be why there is a higher amount of lag or something....

As for the compatibility....I know the Vita's game library not fully supporting this is already shooting this thing in the foot but it not supporting EVERY PS1/PSP game the Vita can play (via native store support AND transfer games)....that is just fucking pathetic :(.

Unless their is a lack of communication about this (as SCEA does all the time about the Vita X(), the system should support transfer games (I mean, plug the PS TV into your PS3 via USB port/Mini USB port, turn both systems on, switch the TV channel to the one that has the PS TV on, and go into the Content Manager menu then after getting all the settings worked out, BAM, things work how they do on Vita :D).

The fact there is also lag in a lot of PS Vita and PS Classics with this thing to is really odd (heard reports about this in the PSN Thread; SK: Shinovi Verses was said to have lag when played on PS TV....)

If it can't do that....then I have no idea why they made this damn thing at all :l. No support with many streaming apps (not having Netflix and Hulu Plus support (when they WORK ON VITA!), no support for the entire Vita library, and even less support for the PSP/PS1 Classics then on the Vita is just.........ugh X(.

At the very least, Soony is adding Transfer games to the Vita store gradually now (as you can download Legend of Dragoon from the Vita store now instead of it being a PS3 transfer tittle) and hopefully, more media apps land on the thing in the future :).

Judging by many of the responses in this thread, I'm very glad I cancelled my order for this thing. I'll maybe take the plunge if they add more functionality and game support or when it hits bargain pricing (hopefully the former comes before the latter).

Games need to be patched to work with controllers and Sony push that responsibility to developers of those games to do it. How many devs do you think are going to bother optimizing their games for PSTV? Nobody wants to support Vita, even Sony itselfe, and PSTV is sharing the same fate.

I said before earlier in this thread. I don't understand why Sony even bother releasingvthis half-baked product here or why anybody should want one. If you want to remote play PS4, just pay a little more and buy a Vita.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man that remote play feature is very tempting. Not fan of Vita remote play at all, in that small screen its pointless to me. But this is like owning two console on different rooms. And price is not bad at all. I might get it this holiday.

Whatever it is, its on SCEA. Same as the bullshit PS3 transferring that has plagued the Vita forever in NA. Japanese PSN/Japanese Vita/Japanese Vita TV had none of these bullshit PSP/transfer issues.

Licensing.

They can't assume that every publisher has the license for the game to be played on a TV-based system, and it takes time to get that information verified/modified. It's completely possible that the contracts were just written with the handheld systems in mind.

Noobcraft

So the PS TV isn't good at all? That is a damn shame :(; for 100 bucks it is a solid way to play some PSP/PS1 games.....

No support with many streaming apps (not having Netflix and Hulu Plus support (when they WORK ON VITA!), no support for the entire Vita library, and even less support for the PSP/PS1 Classics then on the Vita is just.........ugh X(.
Ironically the Nexus Player (also $100) will likely have more "support" for PS1/PSP games than the Vita TV. It will also output in 1080P and have streaming apps at launch...

RK128

Ironically the Nexus Player (also $100) will likely have more "support" for PS1/PSP games than the Vita TV. It will also output in 1080P and have streaming apps at launch...

Welp, there it is; a non-Sony device is more of a PlayStation TV then a PS TV itself XD!

Not just Sony stuff either, but Nintendo (NES, SNES, GB/GBA/DS(?), N64), Sega (Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Dreamcast), and more :D!

Xander51

I know a lot of folks in here are upset about this thing...but I'm kind of enjoying it. I already have other devices I can use Netflix on, and as someone who doesn't really commute or use portables much outside the house, having a system I can use to play Vita games on my TV is a fun thing. *shrug*. Yes, I wish the whitelist was larger (I'd love to play Super Stardust Delta), but it's nowhere near the most horrible system in the world.

I understand there are licensing issues in play but to have an even smaller list of classic games from PSN that will work just sucks. You basically have a ton of subsets in play now...

PS1's full library > the good PS1 games worth playing >>> good PS1 games that are available on PSN > good PS1 games that made it to PSN that are playable on Vita > good PS1 games on PSN that are playable on Vita and PSTV

It's a fragmented mess.

Top Bottom