• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Is remote play with PS4 more or the same stability wise in comparison with the Vita?

I'd like to know this as well. My Vita works okay with direct connection to my PS4, but I'm wondering how well the PS TV will work via wired ethernet connection to my PS4. About the same, or worse?

One-Shot

Banned
Hmm yeah the PSTV would be wireless downstairs while I have the PS4 wired to my router upstairs. So it would not be a good experience?

i've done a ps4 wired/pstv wireless and it worked fine. it's definitely better wired though. i got mine after the update, supposedly it was much worse before that (like what argylegamer is referring to)

mauaus

Hmm yeah the PSTV would be wireless downstairs while I have the PS4 wired to my router upstairs. So it would not be a good experience?

Thats my setup with a RT66u router (pretty good) not a very good experience though very obvious input lag and some artifacts

Bought one today. Set it up wired. There's noticeable input lag, but it'll be totally serviceable for something like Dragon Age, or walking around grabbing collectibles or what have you in open world games like Assassin's Creed. Definitely wouldn't be using this to play Call of Duty online or anything, but it should be useful in plenty of other ways.

Xena

I truly apologize if someone already asked this and you guys answered, but is it possible to permanently close that "featured" tab?
It's driving me crazy, every time I close an application this tab shows up. That doesn't happen when I use my vita, and it's the same memory card I'm using.

I truly apologize if someone already asked this and you guys answered, but is it possible to permanently close that "featured" tab?
It's driving me crazy, every time I close an application this tab shows up. That doesn't happen when I use my vita, and it's the same memory card I'm using.

I'm pretty sure you can't close it. I imagine it's essentially forced advertising.

LAM09

Just got my PS TV yesterday, and I tested remote play over both a wired and wireless connection. There was noticeable lag when using wireless, which isn't ideal for sports games, but was playable. Wired was an improvement as expected, and provided a better experience with minimal lag.

I'm gonn have to get a Powerline adapter with an AC passthrough after all.

This makes no sense at all to me and it's stuff like this that shows how little Sony cares about this device

...or Falcom not caring about the US PSTV market, or XSeed not caring enough about Celceta to allocate their few resources for it for the last year. I don't think Sony has anything to do with it. The patch that Japan got a full year ago that allows controller use in the touchscreen bits just never was released for the US version.

Ziggs

Neo Member
I bought pstv about a month ago, tried again to use remote play tonight (I use powerline adapters) and it played sluggishly for about 2 minutes before it dropped the connection. Granted I use resogun to test, but still dropping connection completely every minute or two counts as unplayable for me.

On the other hand, remote play was working amazingly for my new Vita slim. My oled vita drops connection just like the pstv though. I wish I could figure this out...

redhairedking

...or Falcom not caring about the US PSTV market, or XSeed not caring enough about Celceta to allocate their few resources for it for the last year. I don't think Sony has anything to do with it. The patch that Japan got a full year ago that allows controller use in the touchscreen bits just never was released for the US version.

I'm having trouble believing the code is different enough that it would be that hard to port the patch to the US release.

Apparently Final Fantasy III PSP works on US PS TV now. Downloaded it again on a whim today and was shocked to see it worked. Now I can have FF 1-10 in one place.

Edit: and now it doesn't work. Huh? I played it for a couple of hours today just fine. Next time I turn on my ps tv it doesn't work. I have no idea why.

Apparently Final Fantasy III PSP works on US PS TV now. Downloaded it again on a whim today and was shocked to see it worked. Now I can have FF 1-10 in one place.

I just tried this on a whim myself and was shocked that it worked. Daughter is playing it right now.

Edit: and now it doesn't work. Huh? I played it for a couple of hours today just fine. Next time I turn on my ps tv it doesn't work. I have no idea why.

Well that sucks. Looks like I can never exit the game now!

EDIT:

Figured I would test this out.

Quit game and restart: works fine
Quit game, go into suspend, wake: works fine
Quit game, turn off system, turn on system: doesn't work - get incompatibility message
Deleted game, redownloaded: works fine

My system is a US unit connected via ethernet, FWIW.

Heyyyyy, I bought a PS TV over the weekend. Both my PSTV and PS4 are wired. It controls great and the video output is pretty damn clear.

Problem I'm having is with sound. My sound stutters every 3 seconds or so. It's not game breaking, but it is kind of annoying. Anyone have this issue or have any solutions? Thanks

Phreak47

Heyyyyy, I bought a PS TV over the weekend. Both my PSTV and PS4 are wired. It controls great and the video output is pretty damn clear.

Problem I'm having is with sound. My sound stutters every 3 seconds or so. It's not game breaking, but it is kind of annoying. Anyone have this issue or have any solutions? Thanks

Probably the only good question for that is, are you set up with all gigabit connections? If you're only on 10/100, that's a possible fix.

Probably the only good question for that is, are you set up with all gigabit connections? If you're only on 10/100, that's a possible fix.

The sound is stuttering and you're asking about the ethernet connection?

Better question: what route is your HDMI signal taking?

You think we'll ever just see a patch that enables all games with the huge caveat of "THIS MAY NOT WORK"? Even if you had to go into system settings to enable it?

Seems silly not to.

I just tried this on a whim myself and was shocked that it worked. Daughter is playing it right now.

Well that sucks. Looks like I can never exit the game now!

EDIT:

Figured I would test this out.

Quit game and restart: works fine
Quit game, go into suspend, wake: works fine
Quit game, turn off system, turn on system: doesn't work - get incompatibility message
Deleted game, redownloaded: works fine

My system is a US unit connected via ethernet, FWIW.

Thanks for doing those tests. Since the game is only about 170 MB I guess I could erase and re-download every time I want to play. But how odd is that having the game work perfectly one moment and then not work at all upon restarting the system. I'm on the same US setup as you as well.

redhairedking

Thanks for doing those tests. Since the game is only about 170 MB I guess I could erase and re-download every time I want to play. But how odd is that having the game work perfectly one moment and then not work at all upon restarting the system. I'm on the same US setup as you as well.

That is very strange, and pretty inconvenient honestly

Ekir

You think we'll ever just see a patch that enables all games with the huge caveat of "THIS MAY NOT WORK"? Even if you had to go into system settings to enable it?

Seems silly not to.

It should be the very first option they should have chosen :( Something like 'WARNING this game has not been certified. Do you want to proceed?'

They had to mess it up the most they could... u_u'

SerTapTap

It should be the very first option they should have chosen :( Something like 'WARNING this game has not been certified. Do you want to proceed?'

This is the only sane way to handle it and it of course is not at all how it was handled.

Has Sony commented on this at all? I love my PS TV but this is an extremely damaging and extremely arbitrary limitation. It'd be one thing if the whitelist were extremely well maintained (and I still think an "advanced" option should be in to enable it) but that's not the case either.

So I noticed that I can see games in the store by searching for them by title that I don't see in the "Games for PSTV" list. Does this mean that they will work? Has anyone tried anything else besides FFIII this week that previously was known bad?

I'm interested in Ridge Racer Vita - has anyone had any success there?

Deft Beck

It sucks that Lumines: Electronic Symphony was patched to have analog controls available in the menus in Japan, but not anywhere else.

Does anyone know why some games work in certain regions and not in others?

just more of the same stupid whitelisting crap. Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit was whitelisted in EU for several weeks before NA. I sent several messages to Tom and XSEED and he replied that he'd send them an email to check- it was working in less than a day after that.

like, there is no reason that Hyperdimension Neptunia game shouldn't work just fine. just nobody's flipped the switch.

DeaviL

Banned
Does anyone know whether bot Senran Kagura titles work in the EU.
I've been looking online, and saying "reports were mixed" is an understatement.

Does anyone know whether bot Senran Kagura titles work in the EU.
I've been looking online, and saying "reports were mixed" is an understatement.
Shinovi Versus definitely works, but you have to connect to the internet to start the game up, otherwise you get a message saying it's not compatible. That aside, I've played through the entire game without any difficulties (I'm UK based).

animax

As much as I would love to see this, I wonder if it's the publishers that are preventing the use of a "whitelist". I can't imagine a publisher would be happy with sony allowing all games with the caveat, if it turns out all of their games are broken. Would be bad for their image, bad PR, bad for working relationships. Law suits waiting to happen

Ekir

As much as I would love to see this, I wonder if it's the publishers that are preventing the use of a "whitelist". I can't imagine a publisher would be happy with sony allowing all games with the caveat, if it turns out all of their games are broken. Would be bad for their image, bad PR, bad for working relationships. Law suits waiting to happen

I get your point, it certainly would give a bad image and some publishers would rather their games dont work at all than sorely to a point. I wonder if theres some middle ground, as it is now many japanese developers dont have the time to work in games finished months or years ago as they're already on other projects.

SerTapTap

I get your point, it certainly would give a bad image and some publishers would rather their games dont work at all than sorely to a point. I wonder if theres some middle ground, as it is now many japanese developers dont have the time to work in games finished months or years ago as they're already on other projects.

It's not about "working it in", most games that have been PS TV enabled don't even get patches, they're just whitelisted without updates at all. You press "refresh live area" and there you go, it works, no download. If the game did not originally require touch controls it does not need any changes. Hell, monster monpiece DOES need touch controls and is still whitelisted (it's playable but a bit awkward with the touch pointer).

I don't buy the "devs would be pissed" angle at all. Just don't sell those games as PS TV compatible and it's no different from people trying to run PC games on incompatible hardware, in fact it's a far better experience because it will for sure run, just may not be easy to play.

LAM09

just more of the same stupid whitelisting crap. Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit was whitelisted in EU for several weeks before NA. I sent several messages to Tom and XSEED and he replied that he'd send them an email to check- it was working in less than a day after that.

like, there is no reason that Hyperdimension Neptunia game shouldn't work just fine. just nobody's flipped the switch.

It's really stupid. If a game works on one region, it should work on all of them.

TP

Does the Muramasa DLC not work on US PS tv?
loads just fine on the actual vita but loads the old menu on pstv

Top Bottom