• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Screenshots | OS Level Captures

More PSP vs. Vita comparison pics:

http://andriasang.com/comzel/psp_vita_comparison/

I'm now really tempted to get a Vita on launch day - just so that I can download PSP games and play them.

WOW

RcT43.jpg

That is amazing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I would be fine with the game being ~400p (or whatever it is) on a 5" screen if that was Vita's native resolution actually. The issue isn't the actual resolution in and of itself, its the fact that its not rendered at the native resolution of the screen, that's the issue. It causes a serious drop in image quality on a fixed pixel display.

I don't this agree with that, what I mean to say - and perhaps didn't say it very well - is that even with scaling issues on Vita's own screen, I don't think it's correct to say there's going to be no difference on the screen vs what we're seeing on monitors, that the latter is representative (per the post I was quoting).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Less talk moar pics dammit!!
240+ posts in a pictures-thread and only 3 posts has pictures.

Uncharted looks awesome, yeah low-res/low-standards/whatever. Moar Uncharted! (was Wipeout released?..what about Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom?)
I blame the JGAFfers who picked it up, they failed us miserably. Citing petty excuses like "I need to pick up my son" and "I need to get some rest, I've been up for 24 hours." Feh.

Confiture

Banned
Some would rather gauge overblown and compressed shots from here!

Like I said, downscale the images to Vita's actual screen size at least. Don't blown them up to the native res unless it's actual Vita native res.

The Uncharted, Lord of apocalypse and IB2 pics in this thread are all native res and only the Uncharted one has bad IQ.
And that's not because it's "overblown", it's because like others have said it's sub qHD.
I'm watching the pics on a 27" monitor and the LoA and IB2 pics look fine whereas the Uncharted one...

|ync

The Uncharted, Lord of apocalypse and IB2 pics in this thread are all native res and only the Uncharted one has bad IQ.
And that's not because it's "overblown", it's because like others have said it's sub qHD.
I'm watching the pics on a 27" monitor and the LoA and IB2 pics look fine whereas the Uncharted one...

Ag3wHK3CAAEFmom.jpg:large

looks fine

Ag4F9xTCIAE3hBy.jpg:large

blarg! right?

If you have a 27" monitor you probably need to sit like 6-8 feet away to get an equivalent dpi to the vita.. you probably wouldn't even notice the difference in IQ (by which you primarily mean sharpness I'm guessing)

zoukka

Uncharted looks fine, but don't tell you can't see the jaggies from a mile away. Just ctrl + mouse wheel until the image is about 5 inches or go even deeper!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Apocalypse one obviously looks better res, but I think the point about screen size etc. is that BOTH are going to look better on Vita's screen, and may look a little more even there than they do here (at least based on my tablet, with a little zoom).

Here's a few others robbed off Twitter:

Ag3CmgYCMAABMv5.jpg:large

Ag2R75sCAAAU-Ah.jpg:large

Ag2lposCMAEuaDM.jpg:large

Ag2QWHDCQAAK6po.jpg:large

Ag2fQbdCQAAVcYy.jpg:large

Ag3KHzpCAAEutAu.jpg:large

Atcha

I think if you had realistic expectations, Uncharted looks great. Sony ALWAYS heavily bullshot prior to a console's release, it's essentially in their code of operations, their constitution. If 3DS is a mix between Wii 0.7 (polys) and Wii 1.3 (shaders etc) then Vita is PS2.6. I'm not sure why anyone seriously believed they'd have a PS3 in their hands.

I'm still heavily considering a purchase if enough software is announced for the next year to make it worthwhile. It's there that the future looks a bit hazy to me at the moment, not on a technical level, where it's got ample grunt.

No

|ync

Uncharted looks fine, but don't tell you can't see the jaggies from a mile away. Just ctrl + mouse wheel until the image is about 5 inches or go even deeper!

If you use the web browser to zoom out it's going to scale the image which may make it look better/worse. My idea to get an impression of what it would look like on the vita is:

You can get an idea of how it would look on the vita as follows (I think this makes sense):
-Get a ruler and hold it at arms length (like you were holding a vita).
-Move away from your monitor until the diagonal of the screen shot matches 5" on the ruler you are holding out.
-Now the dpi should be similar to playing a vita.

You can still make out jaggies if you're actively looking, but overall it looks pretty great to me

And yes, even if you do that if you go looking for jaggies/blurries(?) you're going to find them. I just don't think most people would notice if they just picked up the vita to play some games.

Spiegel

The Apocalypse one obviously looks better res, but I think the point about screen size etc. is that BOTH are going to look better on Vita's screen, and may look a little more even there than they do here (at least based on my tablet, with a little zoom).

Ag3CmgYCMAABMv5.jpg:large

Looks great

Looks OK for first gen games, although I don't expect miracles from PowerVR5. Still, with high budget and good art, games will probably look amazing down the line. It's only matter of time before Vita gets its own Chains of Olympus.

Kuran

Banned

Thank you, finally some screenshots!

For shame JGAF.

Looks OK for first gen games, although I don't expect miracles from PowerVR5. Still, with high budget and good art, games will probably look amazing down the line. It's only matter of time before Vita gets its own Chains of Olympus.

I'd LOVE to see what you have been playing on portable devices.

Paracelsus

Willpower and a decent budget can work wonders on portables (see: Dragon Quest IX). Now, let's hope they don't pull the bullshit "enhanced port/demake" card out of their scamdeck and we begin to see both portables being pushed to their max, it's frickin 2012.

btkadams

PSP games actually look better on Vita, omg if only we could use MHP3rd on a EU/US account :(

i could've sworn i remember them saying a long time ago that they were looking at putting psp games on vita gamecards for "classic" releases. you might be able to import the monster hunter psp game if they rerelease it on a vita gamecard. though, by that time they might have already announced a vita game anyways, so who knows?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG I WANT ONE NOW HOLT UFUWU

What it would take for me to buy RR Vita:

5 cars
5 tracks
Orbital Rock

I generally only play it like three times before I get bored lol

Izayoi

Banned
I'm kind of surprised that they didn't do your typical "apply 64xMSAA" to the screenshot function.

Direct feed captures definitely look... less than stellar. Maybe that's why they removed the video out? :(

neptunes

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't do your typical "apply 64xMSAA" to the screenshot function.

Direct feed captures definitely look... less than stellar. Maybe that's why they removed the video out? :(

I think having to add Anti-Aliasing to screen captures would take memory+resources away from whatever you are currently doing on the vita (not to mention the apps in the background)

I think Sony should ASAP fix the screengrabber (AA!) or disable it altogether as the direct feed shots that pop up all over the web are making more harm than good for now.

Jesus people those are FIRST GEN GAMES.

Izayoi

Banned
I think having to add Anti-Aliasing to screen captures would take memory+resources away from whatever you are currently doing on the vita (not to mention the apps in the background)
Yeah, but... They certainly aren't doing the system any favors.

I guess if the rumors are true and the OS really is taking up half of the system's memory, I can see why they didn't spend more time on the screenshot function.

Still though, that's deflating a lot of the visual hype for the system. I just don't know.

Kuran

Banned
It should just push out screenshots at half the resolution, I guess? But then they wouldn't look good on the Vita's own screen and you couldn't use them as wallpapers.

I think it's fine.. developers should just release games at native resolution. (and 60fps) :p

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
LOL at the butthurt because Sony didn't add an instant bullshot generator on screen grabs.

mollipen

WOW

RcT43.jpg

That is amazing.

The Andriasang page says that's the native PSP version going up against the native Vita version.

If, on the other hand, that was an accurate representation of how all PSP games looked on the Vita, that would be horrible. That bottom screenshot is terrible, and no way in the hell would I want PSP games to end up like that on the Vita.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
From there, you can toggle bilinear filtering on and off, set the color space to PSP or Vita, toggle between rear and front camera for PSP games that use the camera, and set the right stick mapping.
Something for everyone. I prefer the filtered look, at least in the blonde anime girl screen.

mollipen

people who want to play ridge racer shouldn't even bother buying the vita game. buy the psp game and play it on vita.

But that isn't a solution either, because us Westerners don't have access to the digital version of the proper Ridge Racer PSP release (RR2).

neptunes

LOL at the butthurt because Sony didn't add an instant bullshot generator on screen grabs.

I don't think it's about "bullshots" it's just that they aren't an accurate representation of how the games will look like when playing on the vita's screen, especially how there will now be games that are rendered below the vita's native resolution.

people who want to play ridge racer shouldn't even bother buying the vita game. buy the psp game and play it on vita.
Why?it's as close as we'll get to a handheld RR6/7

Top Bottom