• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita = TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS ($249)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Slime said:
So I think all this chatter over the last several months really seems to indicate that the Vita is going to launch exclusively in Europe this year. That's great for European gamers, but it's kind of going to doom them in the States, I think. There's no way they can catch up to the newly-priced 3DS + Mario + Mario Kart + holiday mania if they sit on their hands until 2012.

Granted, this is speculation, but the odds are all stacked in Europe's favor: general rumors, UK retail listings, high level of support from European devs, no release date at E3 but a possible announcement at Gamescom, etc. I can't think of a single rumor that has hinted at a US or Japanese release this year.

I hope they surprise us, but if not, this is a bad move. Japan can wait because they're as good as locked in, but hitting the US market early should be super important. Letting the 3DS run unopposed for 10+ months is going to murder its chances, especially with the PlayStation brand not being so hot in North America these days. If they don't intend to release it here until next year then I think I can safely say that the Vita has screwed itself out of the market it needed the most.
I highly, highly, doubt they'll be launching it "exclusively" in Europe this year. I can't think of a good reason for them to do so. What chatter are you referring to?

Slime

Banned
Mainly just the stuff I mentioned, but I also remember the SCEI head saying that it was releasing in Europe before the end of the year, and then all that stuff about it "releasing in at least one region." Granted, it's all speculation, but I just see a lot of admittedly vague evidence hinting at a European 2011 launch, and none at all for a North American one.

btkadams

Slime said:
So I think all this chatter over the last several months really seems to indicate that the Vita is going to launch exclusively in Europe this year. That's great for European gamers, but it's kind of going to doom them in the States, I think. There's no way they can catch up to the newly-priced 3DS + Mario + Mario Kart + holiday mania if they sit on their hands until 2012.

Granted, this is speculation, but the odds are all stacked in Europe's favor: general rumors, UK retail listings, high level of support from European devs, no release date at E3 but a possible announcement at Gamescom, etc. I can't think of a single rumor that has hinted at a US or Japanese release this year.

I hope they surprise us, but if not, this is a bad move. Japan can wait because they're as good as locked in, but hitting the US market early should be super important. Letting the 3DS run unopposed for 10+ months is going to murder its chances, especially with the PlayStation brand not being so hot in North America these days. If they don't intend to release it here until next year then I think I can safely say that the Vita has screwed itself out of the market it needed the most.
??? i can't think of a single legitimate source saying eu would get it first. japan has already been confirmed for 2011.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Slime said:
Mainly just the stuff I mentioned, but I also remember the SCEI head saying that it was releasing in Europe before the end of the year, and then all that stuff about it "releasing in at least one region." Granted, it's all speculation, but I just see a lot of admittedly vague evidence hinting at a European 2011 launch, and none at all for a North American one.

Don't think anyone's confirmed anything about regions except Jack Tretton confirming Japan would be this year.

I'd like to THINK Europe could also get it this year - now a Brit is in charge of SCE, maybe he can swing that for us. But I wouldn't hold my breath for any territory this year other than Japan.

Slime

Banned
That's odd, I thought Tretton's Japan statement was refuted by SCEJ or something. So it's actually confirmed? I must have missed that and got it mixed up with the disaster comment whenever I heard people mention it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Slime said:
That's odd, I thought Tretton's Japan statement was refuted by SCEJ or something. So it's actually confirmed? I must have missed that and got it mixed up with the disaster comment whenever I heard people mention it.

His comment about the quake potentially affecting the launch was refuted by SCEJ, but I don't know if anyone confirmed or denied what he said about Japan getting it this year, at E3.

Slime

Banned
Well, I stand corrected. I don't know how I missed that.

Still, I hope we hear something about a North American release. I wish Sony were being less cagey about this. The Vita's post-E3 non-presence seems really ill-advised, but I guess its vanishing act may be indicative of there being no plans to release it here any time soon. Bummer.

Slime said:

I can't think of a single rumor that has hinted at a US or Japanese release this year.

I thought there have been plenty for the US, with the retailers putting dates for release before end of 2011, advertising in the US already, western games. I think movement on the 3DS side will probably make them bring out Vita in all markets in 2011 no matter how limited units are in supply. Getting Vita out this year is vital.

Slime said:
Well, I stand corrected. I don't know how I missed that.

Still, I hope we hear something about a North American release. I wish Sony were being less cagey about this. The Vita's post-E3 non-presence seems really ill-advised, but I guess its vanishing act may be indicative of there being no plans to release it here any time soon. Bummer.

I dunno I actually feel like there is a higher chance that it comes out in the US before Europe though I'm hoping it is a worldwide launch.

sakipon

Dedication Through Light said:
I think movement on the 3DS side will probably make them bring out Vita in all markets in 2011 no matter how limited units are in supply.
My thoughts exactly. They'd lose a hell of a lot money and market share no matter which one they choose, EU or US.

Although I own a PSP and am getting a Vita, by heart I'm a Nintendo fan so I don't actually mind if Sony surrenders Europe to Nintendo (until next year). People will be getting handhelds as presents and I'd love to see 3DS get a chance to flourish in it's full glory due to the competitor missing it's train.

KAL2006

Banned
Blockbuster shows Vita release date for end of October
OGPTw.jpg

I think vita will do good in the west for the first year. After that not so much.

In japan though. I think it will be crushing everything.

I really hope the support in west is good enough to get game localization. But i doubt it. So i hope we get good ports on ps3.

StuBurns

Banned
onken said:
I highly doubt they'll be tracked seperately so we'll never know anyway.
True, we'll never really know unless they just tell us (and they probably will, they did with the PS3), but we'll still get Amazon sales charts and things.

KAL2006

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:
I think vita will do good in the west for the first year. After that not so much.

I really hope the support in west is good enought to get the localization. But i doubt it. So i hope we get good ports on ps3.

In the west I agree it will start off good as all hardware launches do, but will getting destroyed by the 3DS. However, I believe this time Vita is going to get much more western developer support due easy porting, reusing game engines and assets from iPhone, Android, PS3, 360 and PC. We have already got tons of middleware engines announced for Vita, and many western devs like Epic seem to be excited for the thing. In this day and age developers are multiplatform centric, they try to port software on as many systems as possible, hell we got Dead Space game for iPhone/iPad. We are already seeing this happening with iPad/iPhone game ports for Vita being underdevelopment (that racing game) as well as you typical console games that share the same assets on Vita (Virtua Tennis, SFxT and etc). We have to remember Vita is the most developer friendly hardware Sony has ever made. Remember western games support is usually shitty on handhelds, even on DS, their are a few exception with games like Scribblenauts, but the majority of big titles for handhelds were always japanese (Mario, Bran Training, Nintendogs, Pokemon, Monster Hunter), so I wonder if Vita changes this. So this could be a case of 3DS selling more, but Vita still getting more western games support, just like Wii is selling more than PS3, but PS3 gets more western games support

As for Japan, both Vita and 3DS will be huge success, as handhelds are more popular in Japan in general. 3DS had a bad start and is already getting outsold by PSP, however I am sure Nintendo will rectify this with the price cut and better software. As for Vita I am sure they can transfer the success over from PSP to Vita, but the case is how fast that will happen. All they need is Japan developer support, and Sony has said developing on Vita is a cheap as developing on PSP, also now Japanese developers can finally make higher budget games if they want to without taking a risk too much by making a game for both Vita and PS3, the reason japanese didn't make many PS3 games was because it was expensive and consoles are not as much successful as handhelds, we are already seeing PS3/Vita games with games like Dragons Crown and SFxT.

Captain N

Phantast2k said:
So far we've got:

9/1 Gamestop.co.uk
10/28 Blockbuster
12/30 Amazon.it (no way that's a valid rls date)

Oh man. If its October 28th it'll be right next to Uncharted. Of course no matter when it releases this fall it'll be against something big.

Grinchy

Banned
I still worry that it's too big for me. I like everything about it other than the fact that it's large and the joysticks might get caught in my pocket.

Raonak

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:

I really hope the support in west is good enough to get game localization. But i doubt it. So i hope we get good ports on ps3.
It should be good in the US with enough software support. Thats what killed the PSP.

KAL2006

Banned
Grinchy said:
I still worry that it's too big for me. I like everything about it other than the fact that it's large and the joysticks might get caught in my pocket.

I'd rather have a larger screen than a small screen that you get on 3DS/iPhone. I never carry handhelds in my pocket anyway (only phone, wallet and keys).

Captain N said:
Oh man. If its October 28th it'll be right next to Uncharted. Of course no matter when it releases this fall it'll be against something big.

I mean, they could put out Uncharted Vita after Christmas or something. I'm sure they will stagger the release of all the games they've announced. They don't want to pull a 3DS for sure. I'm certain not all the Vita games we've seen so far will be out on day one.

Having said that, I do think Uncharted will be there on day one. It's a tricky situation though, when they'll surely want all emphasis to be on Uncharted 3. I guess all the Uncharted attention helps though, right?

EDIT: I think I kinda misinterpreted your post a bit. Derp!

Grinchy said:

Shuhei's said this was on purpose. They know that you're going to take your smart-phone everywhere in your pocket with you, so Vita's not even trying to compete with that. It's something you might pop in your bag instead.

Famassu

get2sammyb said:
Those are some pretty impressive figures for the Vita. I hope Sony has been bluffing all this time and pulls out a worldwide launch this Christmas. Even with the recent 3DS price-cut, I feel like there's so much goodwill surrounding the Vita that it needs to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.
What bluff? They haven't been open about the launch for one simple reason: THEY aren't quite sure if they can launch it everywhere this year (or at least weren't a month or two ago, yet). The earthquake in Japan affected their plans and now they aren't sure whether they'll get enough parts to manufacture enough Vitas for launch in all regions. If the earthquake didn't have too big of an impact on the availability of certain parts/things, then they can probably launch it worldwide this year.

KAL2006

Banned
get2sammyb said:
I mean, they could put out Uncharted Vita after Christmas or something. I'm sure they will stagger the release of all the games they've announced. They don't want to pull a 3DS for sure. I'm certain not all the Vita games we've seen so far will be out on day one.

Having said that, I do think Uncharted will be there on day one. It's a tricky situation though, when they'll surely want all emphasis to be on Uncharted 3. I guess all the Uncharted attention helps though, right?

I think they will nicely space the games out so there is something to look forward every month

basically like this
Launch - Uncharted, WipeOut, Sound Shapes, LittleDeviants
Month 2 - Gravity Daze
Month 3 - Super Stardust, Modnation Racers
Month 4 - Hotshots Golf
Month 5 - Reality Fighters, Smart As
Month 6 - LittleBigPlanet
Month 7 - Broken, Ruin
Month 8 - Resistance

Of course this isn't including 3rd party games

Captain N

KAL2006 said:
I think they will nicely space the games out so there is something to look forward every month

basically like this
Month 2 - Gravity Daze
Month 4 - Hotshots Golf
Month 7 - Broken, Ruin
Month 8 - Resistance

I think we'll see Reality Fighters, & Hot Shots on day 1.

Rich!

I wouldn't count on the 28th October date from Blockbuster when until recently, Skyward Sword was listed as a July release.

It's an estimate, nothing more.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
KAL2006 said:

basically like this
Month 2 - Gravity Daze
Month 4 - Hotshots Golf
Month 7 - Broken, Ruin
Month 8 - Resistance

I'm pretty sure we'll see Ruin on launch. Just call it a hunch.

KAL2006 said:

basically like this
Month 2 - Gravity Daze
Month 4 - Hotshots Golf
Month 7 - Broken, Ruin
Month 8 - Resistance

I thought Modnation and Hotshots Golf were month 1 titles? Sound Shapes cant possibly be a retail title, WipeOut too?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Dedication Through Light said:
I though Modnation and Hotshots Golf were month 1 titles? Sounds Shapes cant possibly be a retail title, WipeOut too?
I think Sound Shapes and Super Stardust will be PSN.
And maybe Broken, too, but we don't know anything about them.

Some of the retail titles need to be under $40. I'm looking at you, Reality Fighters, Little Deviants and Smart As. Hopefully Sony are wise enough to encourage variable pricing. Ignition are doing the right thing with Dragon's Crown.

KAL2006

Banned
Krev said:
I think Sound Shapes and Super Stardust will be PSN.
And maybe Broken, too, but we don't know anything about them.

Some of the retail titles need to be under $40. I'm looking at you, Reality Fighters, Little Deviants and Smart As. Hopefully Sony are wise enough to encourage variable pricing. Ignition are doing the right thing with Dragon's Crown.

Sound Shapes and Stardust are both retail and PSN titles as all Vita games are. I am guessing games like Uncharte and LittleBigPlanet will hold it's $40 price point while games like Super Stardust and Sound Shapes will drop in price quite quickly.

So far Sony and the developers of each game has announced the following games for launch or launch window.
Uncharted
WipeOut
Gravity Daze
Ruin
Super Stardust
Sound Shapes
Modnation Racers
Reality Fighters
Smart As
Hotshots Golf
LittleDeviants
Hustle Kings

Obviously that is overkill, that is why I reckon Sony will stagger the releases by having 1 or 2 releases per month. Also this is not even included 3rd parties where a lot of them such as Nippon Ichi, Sega, Capcom, Falcom, Koei and etc have said they would like to get their games out for launch window.

Defuser

Ugh, Uncharted 3 vs Uncharted Golden Abyss. Hopefully gamers don't get tired of playing the Uncharted franchise after 3.I fear for Golden Abyss.

Paracelsus

Defuser said:
Ugh, Uncharted 3 vs Uncharted Golden Abyss. Hopefully gamers don't get tired of playing the Uncharted franchise after 3.I fear for Golden Abyss.

I don't think most of current gen new IPs will have much of a future beyond the third installment, let's just hope Uncharted: GA doesn't sell as bad as the heavy hitters from both first and third parties did on PSP in the US.

KAL2006

Banned
Defuser said:

I can never get tired of Uncharted, after I finished Uncharted 2, I was begging for more. But I get what you mean, this could lead to oversaturation of the franchise. At least when Nintendo release Mario Kart handheld version and Mario Kart console version, there is a huge gap between releases.

orioto said:
That reassure me a little cause i'm actually worried that current psp active owners are pure core gamers playing core 2D games, and that they won't be interested in a next gen psp.
I don't think 2d or 3d matter, most psp top seller seems to be 3d. mh, ff, mgs, etc

KAL2006

Banned
orioto said:
That reassure me a little cause i'm actually worried that current psp active owners are pure core gamers playing core 2D games, and that they won't be interested in a next gen psp.

Well so far Vita has announced 2D and 3D games, we got 2D stuff like Dragon's Crown, BlazBlue and Sound Shapes. We got 3D stuff like Gravity Daze and Uncharted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom