• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita = TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS ($249)

Status
Not open for further replies.
StuBurns said:
That's awesome.

I've been going back and forth between getting one day one, and waiting till I can get the system, a decent memory cart, a cradle and Lumines for £300.

It seems like that'll actually be possible day one.

If you want that deal, jump on it. TRU are swines and put their prices back up all the time. About 3 weeks ago the price of FFXIII went up by £5 for no reason at all.

Really don't see the point of 3G. This thing is not gonna be away from the mains for very long, and if I'm near a socket it usually means there is wi-fi.

And I'd never use 3G for online gaming because it sucks and I'd never download something off PSN via 3G for the same reason. So I can only see myself using it for light browsing, and why would I want to lightly browse when I could be... you know... playing a Vita game?

Can somebody enlighten me as to why 3G is a good idea?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pazuzu9 said:
Really don't see the point of 3G. This thing is not gonna be away from the mains for very long, and if I'm near a socket it usually means there is wi-fi.

And I'd never use 3G for online gaming because it sucks and I'd never download something off PSN via 3G for the same reason. So I can only see myself using it for light browsing, and why would I want to lightly browse when I could be... you know... playing a Vita game?

For people who don't have a smart phone but want something that does light browsing. That number is still about roughly 50% of the US.

I have no idea just how bad 3G is but is it capable of using Netflix?

Even though the Vita is a gaming device, Sony is clearly going about marketing it as it doing everything a smart phone does (plus more) without the ability to actually do phone calls.

gofreak said:
Link's broken?

Anyone know if they ship to Ireland?

Back up now I think.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps-vita-console-wi-fi-3g-pre-order-price-weekend-183-toysrus/1018152
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Video-Games/Bundles-and-Consoles/PS-Vita-Console-WiFi(0089497)?

WiFi only. The TRU site said nothing about 3G when I looked at it, and people on that board were saying the same. The Toys R Us voucher code also says you can't use it for electronics, games etc too, so you might not be lucky. Without taking 20% off it's the same as Amazon.

darkside31337 said:
For people who don't have a smart phone but want something that does light browsing. That number is still about roughly 50% of the US.

Even though the Vita is a gaming device, Sony is clearly going about marketing it as it doing everything a smart phone does (plus more) without the ability to actually do phone calls.
Hmmm. I don't own a smart phone either. I guess I've just never felt at a loss when without some form of internet for a few hours.

darkside31337 said:

Ehhhhh, if you don't mind buffering every two or three seconds than yes. But in my opinion video playback via 3G is just irritating.

Captain N

The Vita doesn't have a video out, right? I wish it would. I guess we have to wait for a revision or an attachment with HDMI support.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Pazuzu9 said:
I think you've answered your own question: any avid smartphone/tablet user would probably appreciate being able to access a web browser, general social netwoking apps, as well as social features of Vita's PSN, on the go. I know I do, and I think I'll be getting the 3G model regardless of how pricey the SKU or data-plans are.

I just feel like I've reached a point where I'd rather have all those standard features in any portable device I own, and have access to a data network at any given time or place. I also realized that even after owning a smartphone with a competent browser and networking capabilities, I still found use for, say, a tablet with the same set of features. Neither one substituted the other wholly for me.

This might be a silly question, but is it confirmed PSV hardware supports full-blown online, via Wi-Fi? No more Ad-hoc crap, every game with multiplayer will allow me to play with other players worldwide (or at least on my continent)?

Early on in the PSP life they advertised Infrastructure mode a lot, and then barely and games used it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Castor Krieg said:
This might be a silly question, but is it confirmed PSV hardware supports full-blown online, via Wi-Fi? No more Ad-hoc crap, every game with multiplayer will allow me to play with other players worldwide (or at least on my continent)?

Early on in the PSP life they advertised Infrastructure mode a lot, and then barely and games used it.

It's up to devs what they want to do, but obviously the system supports full online or local wireless play.

I see that Sony is partnering with ATT for 3G(in North America anyways). Any idea if the data plans will be the same as it is for smart phones? Any any chance we'll get a free Vita by signing up for 2 years or something like that?

duckroll

Castor Krieg said:

It is a very silly question, because that would entirely depend on the games. Most games, especially those from Japan, will most likely remain ad-hoc.

Captain N

gofreak said:
It's up to devs what they want to do, but obviously the system supports full online or local wireless play.

I can't wait for Hot Shots and other games that play like Words With Friends.

Jarmel

Banned
Jinfash said:
I think you've answered your own question: any avid smartphone/tablet user would probably appreciate being able to access a web browser, general social netwoking apps, as well as social features of Vita's PSN, on the go. I know I do, and I think I'll be getting the 3G model regardless of how pricey the SKU or data-plans are.

I just feel like I've reached a point where I'd rather have all those standard features in any portable device I own, and have access to a data network at any given time or place. I also realized that even after owning a smartphone with a competent browser and networking capabilities, I still found use for, say, a tablet with the same set of features. Neither one substituted the other wholly for me.

Then wouldn't a MiFi be better?

Amir0x said:
If the d-pad stuff is true it's official: Vita is bliss handheld

It probably is true since Nintendo's D-Pad patent has finally expired. That's the reason why Playstation D-pads always had the centre being recessed.

duckroll said:
Most games, especially those from Japan, will most likely remain ad-hoc.

Huh? So we are still living in utopia, where everyone has a few friends with PSVita, as well as same game? Online multiplayer or bust.

FoxSpirit

How about tethering your Vita or setting up you phone as wlan access point? No reason to pay for data traffic multiple times.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think SCEA's Vita FAQ says that tethering for web access isn't supported. But I dunno if there'll be ways around that. Mifi just looks like an ordinary wireless access point, right? Can't see how they'd block that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Jarmel said:
Then wouldn't a MiFi be better?
Maybe if it was being sold/supported in Saudi Arabia I guess. Even if it did, being locked out of GPS would probably not sooth my obsessive tendencies.

SkylineRKR

The last time I played local multiplayer on a handheld was during the Gameboy era. Everyone over here had such a handheld back then. I'm at the mercy of infrastructure mode as well.

But with Sony touting the Vita's social features and what not I do expect a bigger emphasis on online multiplayer this time around.

gembel

the black level of the vita screen.. impressive
02ca0237.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That's some impressive black levels indeed.

I'm sure the NNGP's entire face-plate would be composed of an OLED panel.

Tizoc

Argh can't seem to find the thread that has the launch titles for Vita, could someone link me to it or post the launch games?

StuBurns

Banned
The 26 launch titles, in alphabetical order, are:

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend - 2D fighting game (Arc System Works)
Project N.O.E.L.S. (working title) - music player (Arc System Works)
3gokushi touchbattle (working title) - MMO/RTS (AQ Interactive)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - fighting game (Capcom) - Launch title
Nature of Night of Kamaitachi - 11th visitor, A Suspect (tentative) - adventure: sound novel (Chunsoft)
F1 2011 - racing game (Codemasters)
Dream C Club Zero Portable - dating simulation game (D3 Publisher)
Niconico - Niconico (Dwango)
Fis Oh - sport fishing (Kadokawa Games)
Katamari Damacy (working title) - roll-'em-up (Namco Bandai)
Ridge Racer (working title) - racing game (Namco Bandai)
Disgaea 3 Return - strategy RPG (Nippon Ichi Software)
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition - sport tennis (Sega)
@field - sport golf (Sonic Powered)
Uncharted: Golden - action adventure (Sony)
Little Deviants - mini-game collection (Sony)
Minnato Issho - social communications (Sony(
Hot Shots Golf Next (Everybody's Golf Next) - sport golf (Sony)
Yuusha no kiroku (TBD) - life management (Sony)
Monster Radar - location-based game (Sony)
Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja - stealth action (Spike)
Army Corps of Hell - action (Square Enix)
Lord of Apocalypse - action RPG (Square Enix)
Dynasty Warriors Next - action with a bit of thinking (Tecmo Koei)
Dark Quest - RPG (Ubisoft)
Michael Jackson: The Experience HD - rhythm action (Ubisoft)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-14-japans-ps-vita-launch-line-up

EDIT: Odd, maybe Eurogamer doesn't know what alphabetical order means.

anddo0

If the western launch mirrored that list I'd get.

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend
Virtua Tennis 4
Hot Shots Golf
Uncharted: Golden
Lord of Apocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom