• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Joystick

It was on the list until it released, now it's on the released games thread.

D'oh! Thanks. I was sure I checked first page a week or so back as well I came across the game and found your announcement post. Nothing to see here folks. Move along....

Pure PlayStation gave it 7.5/10:

I've never really been interested in these PSVR experiences. To me they always seemed like low effort cash grabs designed to lure in the unsuspecting PSVR owner. For me, Manifest 99 changed my way of thinking about such things.

This kind of work deserves to be seen and the effort deserves to be rewarded.

http://pureplaystation.com/review-manifest-99-ps4psvr/2017/09/

I thought we could race more than one car in GT PSVR.....

Apart from that one trailer and press event where there were more shown the only official word from PD has been 1 vs 1.

If you can properly battle 1 on 1 then it should be great as that is by far one of the most enjoyable things in racing. However I don't have much hope for that as so few/no games have got that correct yet.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Apart from that one trailer and press event where there were more shown the only official word from PD has been 1 vs 1.

If you can properly battle 1 on 1 then it should be great as that is by far one of the most enjoyable things in racing. However I don't have much hope for that as so few/no games have got that correct yet.

Could've sworn when it was announced, they said the entire game was playable, online and all.

Thorrgal

Got PSVR a few days ago and It's awesome. I turned fov stuff off and normal turning and it's like im there in Res7. I have a few questions though. How often do you clean the cloth that comes with it and do people clean the rubber band that's at side when pulled? I pulled it slightly and wiped it. Thought best to keep it in good shape. I've also got a lens pen. I haven't used it yet though because I hear it can scratch lens?

I'd also like to add that this is the best thing in gaming by far. Everyone who can get one should. I was on the fence about it for ages but this is the future of gaming. I'd also like to mention that playroom vr platform game. It's totally amazing.

Ee clean it everytime we pasd it around, which is every 15-30mins

MattAces

Just played Rigs since launch, and wow, seriously fuck you Sony for killing the game. So much potential if it's getting more DLC and loot boxes. This is the game that I would support.

MattAces

How did they kill rigs?

The game was supposed to have a bunch of post release content, free updates. They announced one and released it with many more to come until Sony shut the entire studio down. Because of this news, many people stopped playing Rigs until recently it was free on PS+. But still, there won't be any balancing or content update ever again.

Thorrgal

Also, don't be afraid to ask for any troubleshooting tips, we know all the workarounds :p

Any tips for Arizona Sunshine? I tried it at launch with the Aim and controlled like shit.

Also, is Dick Wilde supposes to be hard? We tried it the other dayband we couldn't finish the first 10 waves.

Synth

Ace Combat has a full VR campaign that is around 12 hours long, hardly disappointing.

No, it's definitely disappointing still. When the game was first announced, it was announced in such a way that it almost appeared to be designed for PSVR first (there was even a little confusion as to whether it was PSVR exclusive), so expectations were that that you'd be able to experience the entirety of the standard story campaign in VR. It's good that the VR mode appears to have plenty of missions of its own, but it really does feel like some of these games should just be fully playable in VR in their entirety, rather than it be seen as side content. RE7 shouldn't feel like such an exception at this point.

MattAces

Any tips for Arizona Sunshine? I tried it at launch with the Aim and controlled like shit.

Also, is Dick Wilde supposes to be hard? We tried it the other dayband we couldn't finish the first 10 waves.
Yes. It is supposed to be insanely hard. Don't limit yourself, duck and strafe left and right as much as you want, make sure you stand far enough for the camera to track. If ou have a proper set up, you can have a very large playing field.

Ogni-XR21

It's hard as hell, the only way I even make it past wave 5 is using 2 moves and the shield + shotgun combo.

Could've sworn when it was announced, they said the entire game was playable, online and all.

When it was announced I'm pretty sure they said it would be playable in VR and that was it. Then later clarified it would be a mode within arcade.

Looking at how GT Sport is shaping up its not like there is a campaign mode to play anyway, though I don't see why they couldn't have also done the licence challenges in VR.

No, it's definitely disappointing still. When the game was first announced, it was announced in such a way that it almost appeared to be designed for PSVR first (there was even a little confusion as to whether it was PSVR exclusive), so expectations were that that you'd be able to experience the entirety of the standard story campaign in VR. It's good that the VR mode appears to have plenty of missions of its own, but it really does feel like some of these games should just be fully playable in VR in their entirety, rather than it be seen as side content. RE7 shouldn't feel like such an exception at this point.

I dunno, still sounds like a tacked on mode with replayable generic missions totalling up to "12 hours". Will be boring to play the big steak of the storymode without VR.

Each to their own. To me, tacked on is something like Star Wars: Battlefront or COD: IW's single mission, which I was kinda expecting with this too, so to get a full 12 hour VR mode is pretty cool for me.

Hazanko

Banned
Something odd happened last night. I was playing RE7 and took headset off a few times because had it too high. Next minute sound was cutting out. I take headset off and look at TV and the picture went all messed up. I turned everything off and on and it's been fine since. Anything I should be concerned about or just a hiccup?

Synth

Each to their own. To me, tacked on is something like Star Wars: Battlefront or COD: IW's single mission, which I was kinda expecting with this too, so to get a full 12 hour VR mode is pretty cool for me.

I definitely don't consider it to be "tacked on" as of yet (unless it really is a bunch of generic missions with little to no unique design to the scenarios). It's not in the same bucket as stuff like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Tekken 7, SW Battlefront and the like... but Ace Combat has always been driven by its interesting story and set-pieces, whereas this sounds more like what would be the "arcade mode" of previous releases.

I think the reason people get disappointed, is that aside from Resident Evil 7, all the bigger name IPs attached to PSVR everntually turned out to additive experiences as opposed to games you can just play from start to finish in VR without reverting back to playing on a standard TV. Ace Combat 7 and Gran Turismo both being cockpit based are the two games where this kinda jumps out most.

gmoran

... but Ace Combat has always been driven by its interesting story and set-pieces, whereas this sounds more like what would be the "arcade mode" of previous releases.

I think the issue here is basically what you said on your first post on the issue: you thought it was designed with VR first, whereas I think VR came to it late. And its ".. interesting story and set-pieces.." simply weren't suitable for VR. Namco have basically said this was the issue.

However its obvious that back at the beginning of the year the VR missions were a small sub-set, as the year has progressed its grown, and is now 10 hours plus. I'm guessing—hoping—that the undoubted benefits VR brings to cockpit games has been the driver here. Again from what I've heard in interviews that was the feeling I got.

Fingers crossed we get something good for VR.

Synth

I think the issue here is basically what you said on your first post on the issue: you thought it was designed with VR first, whereas I think VR came to it late. And its ".. interesting story and set-pieces.." simply weren't suitable for VR. Namco have basically said this was the issue.

However its obvious that back at the beginning of the year the VR missions were a small sub-set, as the year has progressed its grown, and is now 10 hours plus. I'm guessing—hoping—that the undoubted benefits VR brings to cockpit games has been the driver here. Again from what I've heard in interviews that was the feeling I got.

Fingers crossed we get something good for VR.

Yea it's likely that VR was added later and so elements of the core game didn't have the requirements of VR taken into account in the way something like RE7 did from an early stage. It's not really our fault for expecting a RE7 type of scenario though, as the game wasn't announced (or even released) and then VR functionality announced as a side feature, in the way many games are.. it was basically announced as a PSVR game, to the point where there was confusion about whether it even had a non-VR option. For example, see this line from the article PlayStation VR is the real way to experience Ace Combat 7, says producer (which the title by itself sets some serious expectations):

Kazutoki Kono said:
However, if virtually reality sounds like nothing but a headache to you, no need to fear. Counter to some recent reports, the game will not be exclusive to VR, and will be playable on the PS4 without a PlayStation VR headset. Kono likens the Ace Combat 7 experience to an ice cream sundae - "Everything like online mode and campaign mode is in the ice cream. PlayStation VR is going to be a topping."

Kono still maintains that the VR version will be the 'true' Ace Combat experience, but fans who simply can't stomach the tech won't have to do battle with motion sickness to enjoy a series that they love.

None of it reads like an additional mode separate from the main campaign, but the bolded especially makes it sound like a RE7 scenario, where PSVR players would probably not even wish to opt to play the game outside of VR.

wilflare

my Aim Controller is finally here (now to get the Farpoint game digitally)

but I'm not sure if my right lens is scratched after all the family&friends gathering

my Aim Controller is finally here (now to get the Farpoint game digitally)

but I'm not sure if my right lens is scratched after all the family&friends gathering

Biggest fear right here. I'm reluctant to even use glasses (although it feels confortable)

Also, RIGS is the GOTF. Can't believe those schmucks at Sony killed the studio.

wilflare

I asked in B/S/T but not sure how many PSVR owners visit it regularly.

anyone keen on a code that has
- PlayStation VR Worlds
- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
- RIGS (which is now on PS+)
it came with my PSVR bundle from Amazon.

Would be keen to trade for Amazon GC or PSN credit (so I can buy Farpoint. lol)

---
on a separate note, my Lenspen arrived. gonna give the headset a good clean. did anyone get those Zeiss wet wipes?

Just seen the very disappointing news that Criterion have said Star Wars Battlefront 2 won't have any VR content. Real shame because the X-Wing VR mission was great and had a lot of potential to be expanded upon, that sucks. :(

majik13

Just seen the very disappointing news that Criterion have said Star Wars Battlefront 2 won't have any VR content. Real shame because the X-Wing VR mission was great and had a lot of potential to be expanded upon, that sucks. :(

ah waht? fuck, was hoping that theyd have a whole VR space combat online multiplayer mode. Maybe a separate game pls...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

WHOA!!! This truly sucks man.

Joystick

Re: Zero: Life in a Another World in VR is coming to PlayStation VR in Japan this winter.

The smartphone release of Re: Zero -Life in a Another World in VR- was divided into four separate releases: two that let you sleep in Emilia or Rem's lap, respectively, and two that let you sleep beside Emilia or Rem, respectively. Each installment also includes a ”figure appreciation" mode in which you can view each character in three different scenes from any angle.

L6m4png.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/re-zero-life-another-world-vr-coming-playstation-vr-steam-vr-winter-japan
https://gugenka.jp/digital/rezero-vr.php
https://youtu.be/-vm91MULpK8

Joystick

Sony London Studios to Deliver Develop:VR Keynote

Tandem Events will be holding its second Develop:VR event this November in London, UK. Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) will be the headline sponsor so it’s no surprise that today the organiser has announced that Stuart Whyte, director of VR product development for Sony London Studios will deliver this year’s keynote.

Title: Taking VR to the Next Level – A Case Study in AAA Games Development

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/09/sony-london-studios-to-deliver-developvr-keynote/

Let's see it Sony!

Joystick

Cubians VR coming to PSVR

That looks pretty good! While first person is the ideal viewpoint for a VR game some of these third person games are really good. What this and games like Pinball FX2 need are a proper viewpoint adjustment option so that you don't have to use the "view reset" hack to change your position.

MattAces

From Seeking Dawn facebook.
Time to dive into a bit more on co-op, as well as provide you guys some new details with co-op!
Right off the bat you can play Seeking Dawn in co-op mode with you and your best friend. And this supports cross-play between HTC Vive and Oculus RIft on Steam. As we work to optimize the game and get it approved for other platforms, the co-op gameplay will still be a major part of our game.
You can expect to do a ton of things, tune in as we take a deeper look!
Also if you have any questions about the game so far, we are doing AMA's every Saturday at 8:00 PM PST over on our discord channel!
They are still continuing that *wink wink* hints but refuse for an official announcement.

Metzhara

Man. The thread title had me super excited for a possible VR version of Reloaded... the original PlayStation game. "I would play where I could look down on the murdering fools" I said to myself.

valeu

Solus Project is great but I'll wait for the DS4 patch. Full locomotion with Moves is fine. They have a nice control scheme. The problem is there is no point to having Moves in this game. You can't do anything with the Moves: you can't grab things with your virtual hands. To pick something up you have to point at it and click a button - so - why have Moves? You could just hit X on the DS4. You can't do any kind of Move motion controls. If it was like Job Simulator in an open world where you could interact with things with the Moves, I would wholeheartedly support this. But Moves are unnecessary in this game.

Hazanko

Banned
I tried to play Solus project but move controls were terrible. The sad thing is you can still use ds4 to turn around and jump, just cant go forward. This needs a ds4 patch. I couldn't even do first section with moves. I had idea what to do but took forever to figure it out. In 2D mode with DS4 it took me two seconds lol.

I tried to play Solus project but move controls were terrible. The sad thing is you can still use ds4 to turn around and jump, just cant go forward. This needs a ds4 patch. I couldn't even do first section with moves. I had idea what to do but took forever to figure it out. In 2D mode with DS4 it took me two seconds lol.

How does movement work with Moves exactly? Is it teleporting?

Hazanko

Banned
How does movement work with Moves exactly? Is it teleporting?

There is that option but by default you press middle button on a move to go forward and there are two buttons on other to turn. Unfortunately it's angled turning so it's imprecise. I'd personally would have preferred hold button to turn normally but option Isn't there. DS4 would be best.

Top Bottom