• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Us Mojang folks have been bursting to say something about this for ages! PS VR support has actually been a planned PS4 feature since we got the thumbs-up from Sony to bring cross platform play and the Bedrock version to PlayStation 4. There was never any question of would we, just when.

Sadly, gamepad-only, so I fail to see the immersive or room scale modes they allude to.

either way, not my kind of game, but glad yet another hugely popular game gets VR. it means more flatties seeing the light

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Minecraft is pretty damn satisfying if you get into any kind of engineering. You can use the in-game circuitry to create some really cool automated procedures to make a Survival world your bitch. I think most people just assume it's a kid's LEGO game and don't know what it's actually like to play it and progress through a world.

Kerotan

Insane that Minecraft ps4 has VR support and Xbox doesn't. Stange times we live in.

I guess this week of VR is the first half of September event. I can see Sony holding out until October now. Your move MS.

when I first entered VR I used to turn down Rec Room because it reminded me of the bad casual days of Wii sports.

I persisted and eventually paintball, Rec Royale and lasertag won me over, but it is their quests the real hidden treasure to the VR world.

It's like being inside old NES games in a way, complete with very clever level designs, different weapons and mechanics, co-op and even a hefty amount of challenge in enemies and even bosses.

excited for this new one. If you haven't played already, grab a few friends, enter a private session in one of them and invite them over. Or just go in with random squealing kids muted...

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if some of it has to do with people who already played Borderlands 2 a bunch of times, got into it in VR, and realized they had kinda had their fill already.

I didn't play a whole lot of BL2, myself. Didn't think it worked well with the Aim or the Moves and was just kinda boring. It seemed like a solid enough port, so players new to Borderlands may have loved it in VR, but it was not for me.

I wonder if some of it has to do with people who already played Borderlands 2 a bunch of times, got into it in VR, and realized they had kinda had their fill already.

I didn't play a whole lot of BL2, myself. Didn't think it worked well with the Aim or the Moves and was just kinda boring. It seemed like a solid enough port, so players new to Borderlands may have loved it in VR, but it was not for me.

its explosive and frantic action is all but boring

but that explanation makes no sense in light of BL2 flat statistics being much higher, many may have played it before as well

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
its explosive and frantic action is all but boring

but that explanation makes no sense in light of BL2 flat statistics being much higher, many may have played it before as well
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Maybe the people who played a lot of it already before getting the VR version realized they had had their fill. It was like that for me and my brother. We both barely got into it in VR despite it seeming like a decent port. The formula was just played out, unfortunately.

And then we made the mistake of getting a couple copies of BL3 not too long ago and...wow. It really makes BL2 shine :messenger_tears_of_joy:

As part of their psvr spotlight campaign for the week, there's right now a massive sale of psvr games on psn:

I think I'm finally diving into Sairento...

Looks like the rather fun densha de go series is coming to psvr, the library of games gets more interesting as the months go on.

package.png

good find! Hopefully full mode, but certainly riding trains in VR has been overlooked for long...

Impotaku

package.png

good find! Hopefully full mode, but certainly riding trains in VR has been overlooked for long...

A poster on my regular forum found it i had no idea densha was even coming back to home consoles as the last console to get a densha game was the DS it missed the ps3 totally, we got the railfan games instead and while loads of fun not quite the same. I'm hoping the main mode can be played in full vr it will be a blast to ride the yamanote line from the drivers perspective plus with newer gen graphics.

The trailer looks fun choo choo

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I find it mind-blowing that people complain that there are no VR games and then don't even play much what is available...

Borderlands 2 on PSVR is one of the worst offenders because they never fixed the stupid hitches when moving our head. Of course it's gonna cause motion sickness and discomfort to a lot of people. It is useless in whatever point that tweet wants to prove. (Not to mention it's a game that has been played to hell and back, and lacks multiplayer)

Last edited:
Borderlands 2 on PSVR is one of the worst offenders because they never fixed the stupid hitches when moving our head. Of course it's gonna cause motion sickness and discomfort to a lot of people. It is useless in whatever point that tweet wants to prove. (Not to mention it's a game that has been played to hell and back, and lacks multiplayer)

so motion sickness it is, because flatties have also played it tons before and yet the statistics are higher

however, I suspect most owners of psvr simply don't play it much and even them consider it a gimmick - that explains why so few fans in forums and so many familiar faces as ever on Twitter or the few multiplayer games out there...

RavageX

I personally have played borderlands 2 plenty of times but usually get tired of it at some point, so when I started the VR version it was the same, "Oh I remember this...". It wasn't the same as playing Skyrim(which I also have played many times).

Just didn't hold my interest the same way.

Grinchy

Banned
I personally have played borderlands 2 plenty of times but usually get tired of it at some point, so when I started the VR version it was the same, "Oh I remember this...". It wasn't the same as playing Skyrim(which I also have played many times).

Just didn't hold my interest the same way.
Yep, exactly. I haven't looked at the Skyrim trophies to see if it held interest better, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was the case.

Btw, the Operencia psvr port is crappy. Game is nice by itself, but VR offers nothing, while taking away much: blurry resolution but worst of all, very wrong scale that makes everything look huge and mostly flat

the old The Cristal Rift is a far better native VR "classic dungeon crawler" although much more primitive a game, but a real great game with more exciting and modern take in dungeon crawling is Skyrim.

I don't even know why I tried, some fit of nostalgia of days long past...

while people dream about flat games, NMS keeps improving its great legacy:

I guess this is a juicy update. Wow, 4 years since their first update to the game. Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem, Fallout 76 have come and gone and Star Citizen is still to release... a small indie team delivered something much more relevant.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It'll be sweet if Minecraft gets a really quick PS5 VR patch to run it at like 4K/120fps in the headset. The supersampling would help make it as crisp as possible and the 120fps is always welcome.

It'll be sweet if Minecraft gets a really quick PS5 VR patch to run it at like 4K/120fps in the headset. The supersampling would help make it as crisp as possible and the 120fps is always welcome.

what really pains me is to see quite a few games, like Destiny 2 or Dirt 5, offering 4K 120fps on PS5 and no support for psvr at all. It's not a technical problem, just bullshit decisions...

Upcoming weeks will be all the rage for psvr in big game releases and PS5 support rumors.

One of these games is Swordsman VR:

impressed with the comments, mostly missing the usual flat hate

the devs don't have a great track record, but this is looking nice and I'll give them the benefit of doubt. I just think the clip is not psvr gameplay because you can't quite use the shield or second sword in left hand and move at the same time, thanks to Move controllers lack of analog sticks, so you either point where to go with left hand or swing your sword, not both at once.

Until you Fall is another great swordfighting game coming, but it's not focused in physical simulation, but very fast paced arcade battles in a high fantasy rogue-lite setting. It's not going head-on against Swordsman, but one week after. Devs have a great track record with early VR success of spy thriller puzzle I Expect you to Die.

and Michonne's katana is sure to be a favorite in TWD Onslaught.

Budget Cuts classic is also finally coming to psvr and it too has some hack'n'slash implied in the humorous title, with knife throwing.

exciting times for VR as a whole :messenger_sunglasses:

Grinchy

Banned
Tomorrow is the Minecraft VR update. I'm keeping my expectations low just in case we find out there's stuff wrong with it, but I'm still excited to check it out.

Grinchy

Banned
Well, I beat Iron Man VR. That was refreshingly good. Right at the start, I started getting a little worried that some people were overhyping it, or at least that my opinion differed a lot from the typical PSVR user. I was getting Blood & Truth vibes all over again.

But damn, this game was awesome. I somehow didn't realize there were little tooltips in the loading screens because I kept shooting the targets and wasn't looking forward lol. But when I saw them, it helped with certain things that were bothering me like the triple punch.

It's just a very nice, complete VR game with a great foundation for its gameplay and even a competent little narrative.

RavageX

I sent my VR to Sony to fix, had issues getting it submitted on the site, and getting in touch with an agent due to work but they were on the ball and got it rolling without me having to actually talk to anyone (even though they set up phone calls). Turn around was quicker than I expected and the headset I got back looks new, but it is still the old model. Jumped back in BoxVR and tried Pistol Whip, which I love.

I'm not good at it, but I love it. I really want to get the Darth Vader game, but here its teleporting....I'm not keen on that.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Star Wars Squadrons is little more than a week. Even if the campaign is only 3 hours, that's going to be incredible in VR. I'll be playing on Rift S this time though.

Yeah it's gonna be on GamePass too so that makes the PC decision that much easier

Grinchy

Banned
15 minutes in and i'm never gonna be able to play minecraft flat screen ever again 😅

it's incredible. hardly any noticeable graphical difference, and yes i know MC is just pixels, but it looks phenomenal.
I played a decent bit of it flat and I find that it actually plays better in VR in a lot of ways, too. Like inventory menu manipulation is so much better with the head cursor than it is with a controller.

I guess the one downside is having to mine/place blocks above and below you. You really have to crane that neck lol

Kev Kev

I played a decent bit of it flat and I find that it actually plays better in VR in a lot of ways, too. Like inventory menu manipulation is so much better with the head cursor than it is with a controller.

I guess the one downside is having to mine/place blocks above and below you. You really have to crane that neck lol
dude yes 100% agree on the inventory being so much more easy and fluid, its actually a huge upgrade for me as i like to keep my chests and inventory very neat and organized. i considered switching to looking to the stick because of the looking straight up and down problem, but the ease of use moving stuff around in the inventory is too nice.

Top Bottom