• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Starblood Arena trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOsDp3ZLTXo

Thanks for the replies. This is rather weird, as the PC version of FATED: The Silent Oath has got standard in addition to snap rotation. Why will they remove standard rotation from the PSVR version? Even if it induce sickness, its not like you can't switch to snap rotation or those virtual markers (which I use as you can see)
88U9O5T.jpg

Yeah, lack of smooth rotation is very annoying. Also, the character walks really slow which drove me crazy in the beginning. It was a good experience besides these two things, and its short length.

It made me want a proper open world RPG in VR even more. I realize that Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout might not be possible on PSVR due to technical limitations.

What about Morrowind? Surely, it can run on PSVR. Just update the combat to work with Moves...

Is FATED any good? I watched a little bit of that video linked in the previous post and it looks interesting.

Here are my impressions of FATED from the previous thread.

Bad

It took me hour and half to finish, and I was taking my time exploring the surroundings etc. Granted, it is fairly linear, so there is not much exploration. Most people will probably beat it in about 60-75 minutes. There is not much replay value either.

There is no smooth turning option and the character walks really slow. Note to VR developers, options are good.

Good

The art style and graphics are good.
The voice acting is good, and there is a lot of it
The story is also pretty good.
The game feels polished overall.

Bottom line

This is more like an interactive movie than a game. Heavy Rain would be the closest comparison for me. At 10$ list price, I would recommend it.

karasu

I totally fell asleep in VR at like 5 this morning and my roommate woke me up like the voice of god or something. Opening my eyes and seeing space and battleships and shit freaked me right the fuck out. So much so that I literally screamed in terror. I'm glad it wasn't Until Dawn or something. Jesus.

Yeah, lack of smooth rotation is very annoying. Also, the character walks really slow which drove me crazy in the beginning. It was a good experience besides these two things, and its short length.

It made me want a proper open world RPG in VR even more. I realize that Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout might not be possible on PSVR due to technical limitations.

What about Morrowind? Surely, it can run on PSVR. Just update the combat to work with Moves...

I actually liked the slow movement speed as it felt very natural to my own take everything in walk when i don't have to be anywhere and that is how I approached most of the game, I think it also enhanced the game a lot when the change of pace does hit due to the contrast. A jog or run option would have been nice though. Biggest complaint on pacing would be having to wait to access the puzzle especially as the dialogue could have been done prior to the room whilst walking.

I don't like Skyrim at all but during the section in the woods I realised I would now instabuy Skyrim in VR if it was released, hell any RPG with freedom would get a purchase.

Freeman76

Since completing Resi 7 I have hardly played the VR. Too many bite sized demo experiences and not enough full games so far. I hope this changes as I am not ready to give up and sell it.

I actually liked the slow movement speed as it felt very natural to my own take everything in walk when i don't have to be anywhere and that is how I approached most of the game, I think it also enhanced the game a lot when the change of pace does hit due to the contrast. A jog or run option would have been nice though. Biggest complaint on pacing would be having to wait to access the puzzle especially as the dialogue could have been done prior to the room whilst walking.

I don't like Skyrim at all but during the section in the woods I realised I would now instabuy Skyrim in VR if it was released, hell any RPG with freedom would get a purchase.

Yeah, run button would be nice. I do not get why many VR games do not include robust comfort/movement options like RE 7. In my opinion, there are must for any VR game.

Yeah, run button would be nice. I do not get why many VR games do not include robust comfort/movement options like RE 7. In my opinion, there are must for any VR game.

Agreed. The variation in different experiences requires comfort variety. I have wondered for a while if Sony are requesting that certain options are removed to focus on the more universal experience with lowest common denominator as standard as there have been a few PC VR games that have released without the some options on PSVR. Then again some that are far more intense have released exactly the same options.

bumpkin

Here are my impressions of FATED from the previous thread.

Bad

It took me hour and half to finish, and I was taking my time exploring the surroundings etc. Granted, it is fairly linear, so there is not much exploration. Most people will probably beat it in about 60-75 minutes. There is not much replay value either.

There is no smooth turning option and the character walks really slow. Note to VR developers, options are good.

Good

The art style and graphics are good.
The voice acting is good, and there is a lot of it
The story is also pretty good.
The game feels polished overall.

Bottom line

This is more like an interactive movie than a game. Heavy Rain would be the closest comparison for me. At 10$ list price, I would recommend it.
Thanks for the rundown. I might just pick it up. I paid $16 for Batman and that can be finished in a similar amount of time and don't regret it because it was immersive and enjoyable.

I totally fell asleep in VR at like 5 this morning and my roommate woke me up like the voice of god or something. Opening my eyes and seeing space and battleships and shit freaked me right the fuck out. So much so that I literally screamed in terror. I'm glad it wasn't Until Dawn or something. Jesus.

Lol!

*Splinter

And people say VR is uncomfortable 🙄

Planet

Absolutely, Tethered now is the game it always was supposed to be.

Note to devs: you thought of a clever way to use the head for aiming? Well done, now scrap it and implement proper Move support.

Wollan

So proper PS4 Pro & Move support in Tethered now. I will have to boot it up again.

"Until now, the player's perspective was fixed to the clouds, but with motion control, you can physically move through the lovingly hand painted environments and get really close to the Peeps to watch them carry out their tasks! You can even scale your presence so you're the same size as a Peep (which genuinely heightens the emotional connection the player has with them) or bigger than the island itself."

Grinchy

Banned
It's especially nice when games have Move support after Sony finally got around to fixing the tracking.

chekhonte

I haven't played VR in a while. Is the PSVR floating tracking still a problem. i.e. the front and center position tends to veer off slowly as you play? I punched a window and stopped playing it until they fix this if it's fixable.

HOLY SHIT fruit ninja VR is a God Damn blast. It's repetitive as Fuck but with two move controllers and throw on some sword fighting anime soundtrack and you're set. Fuck this I want more sword games in VR.

Is fruit ninja VR the only sword game we have right now?

Data Ghost

Since completing Resi 7 I have hardly played the VR. Too many bite sized demo experiences and not enough full games so far. I hope this changes as I am not ready to give up and sell it.

Same here, spent most of my time on the Switch lately. Only yesterday I contemplated selling my PSVR while I could still pretty much make all my money back. Or do I wait until after E3? I don't know.

Same here, spent most of my time on the Switch lately. Only yesterday I contemplated selling my PSVR while I could still pretty much make all my money back. Or do I wait until after E3? I don't know.
Why not contemplate selling Switch? It has even less powerfull library and I don't think that this will change too much in the future compared to psvr's.

Do not sell any of them, but I try to understand the mentality.

Data Ghost

Why not contemplate selling Switch? It has even less powerfull library and I don't think that this will change too much in the future compared to psvr's.

It all comes down to which one you enjoy the most I guess.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

You don't think that will change? Lol wtf?

Mendrox

I have a Wii U and it did change, so many goddamn awesome games.

I have the whole 13-14 amazing games too, but there could have been a bit more to sell the console itself or help it. I loved the Wii U but I am also sad that it never got the fame it deserved.

Edit:

Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros For Wii U
Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors
Splatoon
Breath of the Wild
[Mario Party]
NES Remix
Tokyo Mirrage Sessions #FE

Probably forget a game or two (Captain Toad got sold), but I know how it feels.

Edit 2:

Preordered Farpoint after watching some videos. Also if anyone is interested in reencoding VR videos for Littlstar - send ma PM and I will give you everything for easy reencoding.

Edit 3:

Post under me...like a real derailment like your post? Nice.

Maligna

Banned
HOLY SHIT fruit ninja VR is a God Damn blast. It's repetitive as Fuck but with two move controllers and throw on some sword fighting anime soundtrack and you're set. Fuck this I want more sword games in VR.

Is fruit ninja VR the only sword game we have right now?

I know, right!? Personally I prefer using one katana. Grip it in two hands. Feel more like a Ninja.

As for other sword games, Golem is supposed to have that I think.

It all comes down to which one you enjoy the most I guess.

True story.

You don't think that will change? Lol wtf?

PSVR will have probably more third party support. Developers can go multiplatform as there are 3 high end VR headsets out there.
Multiplatforms are the 80-90% of a system's library.

I was just curious about why has someone considering selling psvr when he talks about the amount of games, and at the same time he is ok with switch's library.
That's it. I got the answer.

peace.

*Splinter

Enough of the console war nonsense. PSVR and Switch/WiiU offer totally different experiences, I don't know why you'd even compare them.

Back on topic: VR yeah? Yeah! Woooo

I know, right!? Personally I prefer using one katana. Grip it in two hands. Feel more like a Ninja.

As for other sword games, Golem is supposed to have that I think.

Thats a good idea. I might try that later.
My girlfriend is in love with this game honestly.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Man... I realize that horror is the perfect genre for VR, but I could really need some VR games that are a little bit more chill...

I hope that Star Trek will turn out decent.

Maligna

Banned
Thats a good idea. I might try that later.
My girlfriend is in love with this game honestly.

I go all in. Haha. Proper kendo stances, making sure to only slice with the front/sharp edge of the blade, which requires quick turns of the wrist to make changes in direction, getting 2 or 3 slices per round of fruit. This is most easily done in classic mode.

Survival mode is really the only mode where you have to use two swords though. It's too hard with only one blade when they are firing the fruit right at you.

Man... I realize that horror is the perfect genre for VR, but I could really need some VR games that are a little bit more chill...

I hope that Star Trek will turn out decent.

This is how feel. Star Trek is my most hyped game right now. I would have loved to have supported Capcom for developing a full AAA VR game, but I just can't handle horror in VR.

Oh yeah, any news about Golem?

None that I've heard. It's one I'm looking forward to though.

Top Bottom