• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Will Not Host an E3 Conference or Appear at E3 2019

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
However the Variety article seemed to get pulled.

Update:

Update 2:
GameInformer: Sony Interactive Entertainment Is Not Attending E3 In 2019

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community," the company told Game Informer in a statement. "PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

When asked if Sony would push its event off-site, similar to how Electronic Arts provides a show adjacent to E3, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark elaborated further saying, "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3."

Last edited:

Three

Wonder why the article was pulled and who the source was. Maybe it was to out a leaker.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
so thats not a rumor or anything and they really skip e3 or am i wrong???

Not a rumor. Its confirmed. Also no playstion xperience this year.

Its all but confirmed that PS5 will be announced within the next 12 months.

Dthomp

Eh nothing lost for them if they do skip. E3 isn’t what it used to be. take the Nintendo approach and just do your own stream and make a big deal about it.

ghairat

Well, Sony's E3 2018 was a big disappointment. But I think it would be smart of them if they announce ps5 a February

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well, Sony's E3 2018 was a big disappointment. But I think it would be smart of them if they announce ps5 a February

That'd be a little too early considering all signs are pointing to a 2020 release.

And yea their E3 was lackluster but their sales are exploding. They're still in a very strong market position and only getting stronger.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd personally love it if they adopted the "Nintendo Direct" format. Give me several mid-sized reveals throughout the year.

NO7

Neo Member
so you guys think that this is a indication of a potential PS5 release? i dont really know what to think of that...

Chittagong

Gold Member
If PS5 was coming in 2019 they definitely wouldn’t skip E3 showfloor. Even if they did a prior dedicated unveil event like they did with PS Vita (“NGP”) and PS4, they would still have a massive booth to show off playable PS5 units in the biggest enterntainment expo in the world.

This smells like not much new stuff to talk about until 2020 as most developers have moved to PS5, so doesn’t make sense to invest tons into E3 2019.

Last edited:
I've found all the E3 conferences have grown increasing stale over recent years, but without Sony, the show will probably grow just that much more vanilla. As for anything related to the PS5, where my feelings are currently at with Sony as a platform holder, I don't really care, when or where they make the announcement.

TLZ

Banned
Woo 2019 PS5 confirmed then!

They'll want an event that focuses on them and them only.

Last edited:
so basically not attending E3 for the third year in a row? not disappointed personally because its not like an E3 event woulda mattered. they would have just went through the same crap we seen in 2017 and this year.

tho now we will most likely see a PS5 event in 2019

The only problem i have with a PS5 in 2019 is the actual ps4 price, both slim and pro are still quite expensive. Some goes for X.

Last edited:

Moneal

I see a ps5 announcement event in feb focusing on hardware, and a software event later in the year, with a holiday 2019 release. no reason to skip both psx and e3 unless they are planning other events close enough to those.

Fbh

Damn, E3 won't be the same with no Sony conference.
Now I wonder what their plan is.

Either they announce Ps5 at their own event around that time.
Or they announce it in early 2019 and instead of E3 they make some sort of mid year PSX.
OR Ps5 is 2020 and they are not ready to talk about it yet and since they have nothing new for Ps4 going to E3 would be a waste of money

Hmm so either 2019 release or 2020 for the PS5. I'd still rather 2020, still feels like theres life left in this gen.

My guess would be first half of 2020 with a special announcement event around the time Psx would usually be.
Maybe they feel E3 is too early to announce and since they have already shown the last PS4 games (days gone, TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima) they would have nothing to show at E3

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Hype of E3 drops to almost Zero, only Another Splinter Cell in the works or something else, but i was really excited of news regarding PS5.

But this move its definetly regarding a PS5 announcement, and maybe its because Sony doenst want to share the media attention with anyone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GameInformer: Sony Interactive Entertainment Is Not Attending E3 In 2019

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community," the company told Game Informer in a statement. "PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

When asked if Sony would push its event off-site, similar to how Electronic Arts provides a show adjacent to E3, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark elaborated further saying, "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3."

Last edited:

Wonkytonk

I see a ps5 announcement event in feb focusing on hardware, and a software event later in the year, with a holiday 2019 release. no reason to skip both psx and e3 unless they are planning other events close enough to those.

I’m with you until the 2019 release— early/mid 2020 release, IMO.

Dargor

so you guys think that this is a indication of a potential PS5 release? i dont really know what to think of that...

I think this is confirmation that Sony will be doing something PS5 next year. Either that or they are leaving the video game market...

Mr Hyde

Okay, so what the hell am I supposed to watch now to get a 5-hour medley of a banjo fiddling Gustavo Santalloallo?

FrankCaron

I’m with you until the 2019 release— early/mid 2020 release, IMO.
Yep. I can see them doing something interesting like launching the PS5 in March 2020 a la the Switch, leaving them a 6+ month head start on the Xbox One Plus One in the fall of 2020—Unless Microsoft goes all in and drops it in the fall of 2019.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
This smells like not much new stuff to talk about until 2020 as most developers have moved to PS5, so doesn’t make sense to invest tons into E3 2019.

If true (again, we don't really know) it would actually smell like absolute bullshit & Sony adopting a full-of-themselves mindset. It's just a gaming conference for Christ's sake, i.e. there's no need to overthink the problem nor adopt a revolutionary defiant attitude when deciding to skip it. Once-upon-a-time Sony loved E3 because they were the new kid in town making a name for themselves, ergo whilst the Internet & social media has changed how companies can market their product, certain cultural events & traditions remain important. E3 is one of them.

I'm even someone who wasn't critical of Sony's 2018 E3 (it was what it was). It's just one of those fun moments in the yearly calendar when all the industry & fandoms congregate & indulge in their shared hobby. It's not the effing United Nations or a cold war.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I love E3 is my favorite event in gaming. I watch every conference and have been for so many years this is very disappointing to hear. Not only are Nintendo sort of skipping live press conferences and now Sony. I've been saying next gen is due but mid to late 2020 was my guess.

Anyone think they might announce the PS5 in December 2019 at that conference they usually have?

Last edited:
Damn, E3 won't be the same with no Sony conference.
Now I wonder what their plan is.

Either they announce Ps5 at their own event around that time.
Or they announce it in early 2019 and instead of E3 they make some sort of mid year PSX.
OR Ps5 is 2020 and they are not ready to talk about it yet and since they have nothing new for Ps4 going to E3 would be a waste of money

My guess would be first half of 2020 with a special announcement event around the time Psx would usually be.
Maybe they feel E3 is too early to announce and since they have already shown the last PS4 games (days gone, TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima) they would have nothing to show at E3
Makes sense, I think you're on point with that.

joe_zazen

If true (again, we don't really know) it would actually smell like absolute bullshit & Sony adopting a full-of-themselves mindset. It's just a gaming conference for Christ's sake, i.e. there's no need to overthink the problem nor adopt a revolutionary defiant attitude when deciding to skip it. Once-upon-a-time Sony loved E3 because they were the new kid in town making a name for themselves, ergo whilst the Internet & social media has changed how companies can market their product, certain cultural events & traditions remain important. E3 is one of them.

I'm even someone who wasn't critical of Sony's 2018 E3 (it was what it was). It's just one of those fun moments in the yearly calendar when all the industry & fandoms congregate & indulge in their shared hobby. It's not the effing United Nations or a cold war.

It is just the conference. No one has said they wont have a presence there. And lets face it, last years was ass.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
FWIW

Sony will skip E3 this year, a massive blow to the trade show and yet another sign that, as I've heard from pretty much every developer I've asked about this, the PS5 is planned for 2020:

Top Bottom