• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation4 FW 1.5 details

Multi log-in
A maximum of four users can log-in to a single PS4 system simultaneously. These players can use their own save data to play games, and also earn trophies on their own Sony Entertainment Network accounts even when playing a multiplayer game together on a single PS4 system.

Fucking Finnally! About time!

Face recognition and voice commands
Users with PlayStation Camera will be able to register their facial image onto their PS4 system, and login to their system using facial recognition instead of DualShock 4. Furthermore, users can use either the microphone of the Mono Head set connected to DualShock 4, or PlayStation Camera to navigate through the PS4 home screen (PlayStation Dynamic Menu) with voice commands to start up games and shutdown the system, among other features; please refer to PS4’s online manual for recognizable voice commands.

You don't even need the camera? That's kinda cool.

Background music player
Users can enjoy gameplay while listening to music in the background with Music Unlimited, a cloud-based digital music service. Users can also voice chat with friends while listening to music. Learn more about Music Unlimited here.

I can still use my own mp3s right? Or it has to be MU?

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game. We will provide additional information about system software update version 1.50 and features available at the PS4 system’s North America launch, and features that will be available after launch, in the near future.

Dammit, I was looking foward to that... =(

PolishQ

If I'm reading this correctly I'm seeing two things that are disappointing.

Twitch isn't an app built into the system for watching others play, I have to use a smartphone, tablet or pc. Plus I can only listen to music during gameplay from the Music Unlimited app, not off my PC?

Hmm.

Regarding Twitch:

There are two ways for users to view live broadcasts. First, the Live from PlayStation application on PS4 aggregates streams from all PlayStation users. Second, users can spectate friends’ PS4 gameplay from PCs, and applications such as Ustream, Twitch, and browsers, which are installed on their mobile devices.

Omni

And people were bitching about MS' day one patch.
Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.
This is rather ridiculous.

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game. We will provide additional information about system software update version 1.50 and features available at the PS4 system’s North America launch, and features that will be available after launch, in the near future.
Sounds legit.

Background music player
Users can enjoy gameplay while listening to music in the background with Music Unlimited, a cloud-based digital music service. Users can also voice chat with friends while listening to music. Learn more about Music Unlimited here.
Can you stream your music from your PC like on Xbox? Rather not have to deal with another paywall if I decide to pick a PS4 up.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't get how this is not the part of 1.0 FW.

It is not to say NONE of this stuff is included in 1.0. It's only to say this stuff was added/updated in 1.5

Remember, PS4 is being shipped to stores now from China, but they are still crunching to get the "launch" firmware set.

RedAssedApe

Banned
da fuq...no suspend and resume/low power state? i hope this just means suspend/resume isn't available and ps4 will still have low power state where you can charge/power your DS4 and other peripherals like gaming headsets while your PS4 is "off"

Cerny talking about the suspend feature in February and its not even a basic hardware feature. What the FUCK Sony you cunts. Man im pissed off i need to go calm down. Wtf.........

dude settle down. it will be ok. Maybe watch some COD: Ghosts 1080p videos to help calm down. Thats what I usually do when rain drops keep falling on my head. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hmm, I think I would have put a couple of those features on the backburner to give priority to have suspend/resume ready at launch. Facial recognition and voice commands, for one.

Bgamer90

Banned
...hm nothing new. Sony will always suck at this.

What a joke, having to update your console on the day of a purchase lol.

MS will always crush them at this

FYI, they both require updates. Was pretty much expected.

The suspend/resume feature not being there at PS4 launch is disappointing; it's one of my most anticipated next gen features.

btkadams

Face recognition and voice commands
Users with PlayStation Camera will be able to register their facial image onto their PS4 system, and login to their system using facial recognition instead of DualShock 4. Furthermore, users can use either the microphone of the Mono Head set connected to DualShock 4, or PlayStation Camera to navigate through the PS4 home screen (PlayStation Dynamic Menu) with voice commands to start up games and shutdown the system, among other features; please refer to PS4’s online manual for recognizable voice commands.
i wonder how well this will work in comparison to xbox one?

SMZC

Grow up. If you can't add something meaningful, please don't post such childish remarks.

Microsoft also has a fairly large day one patch.

The funny thing is that in the case of the Xbone's update you need to download it to be able to even play any games on it.

VanWinkle

Facial recognition to log in, AND voice commands don't require the camera. That's nice. No suspend/resume at launch is odd and frustrating.

What is clear is that they put all or most of the core functionality in the retail firmware so that people without internet can use. If you notice, most of these features are online-based. Of course, updated firmware will probably be on some games for those without internet anyway.

You BETTER be able to listen to your own music on music Unlimited for PS4 because I'm not subscribing to that just to utilize custom soundtracks.

Pop

If I'm reading this correctly I'm seeing two things that are disappointing.

Twitch isn't an app built into the system for watching others play, I have to use a smartphone, tablet or pc. Plus I can only listen to music during gameplay from the Music Unlimited app, not off my PC?

Hmm.

No you can watch people stream straight from the Ps4 if you wanted to.

Only thing that I see as odd is no suspend/resume mode. I was looking forward to that, no biggie though.

K' Dash

da fuq...no suspend and resume/low power state? i hope this just means suspend/resume isn't available and ps4 will still have low power state where you can charge/power your DS4 and other peripherals like gaming headsets while your PS4 is "off"

lol, this for real?

MMaRsu

Banned
I need someone to tweet shu or adam boyes let us know whats up with listening to your own music and the suspend feature. Damn i cant believe thats not in at launch.

Live free or die bro i couldnt care less about cod.

Kacho

No suspend/resume functionality at launch is a huuge bummer. One of the most exciting features of next gen. Hopefully they get it out very soon after launch.

Well the system was designed to ping servers every 24 hours to allow you to game. Without that infrastructure anymore, you can't game out of the box. Microsoft said the day 1 patch was mandatory for you to start gaming.

Don't you think it's misleading to say that you can't play a game without the patch when that's not the case?

Facebook's re-encoding is even worse than YouTube's, ugh. And very, very lame that you need to connect online to watch DVDs and Blu-rays.

I don't get how this is not the part of 1.0 FW.
Then what on Earth was included in the 1.0 firmware?

Basic functions. I mean, console have been shipping for a while now while they kept working on the OS.

Same thing happened to SP3 and Vita, guys.

Are they implying you can't put music on the HDD and listen to it in-game? What year is this?

Somebody get @yosp on the line!

I mean, really, this is ridiculous if true.

Wait, custom soundtracks *only* work with music unlimited? What the fuck is that?
Bullshit is what it is. But I think we already knew this awhile ago.

I guess I'll have to play my music through my receiver and surround speakers and my game audio through my TV when I want to listen to my own stuff.

SPDIF

can't enter a new PS generation without a Firmware...thank goodness for the background chip

PS camera has facial recognition..... they announced it through text too (making it not a big deal as MS made it to be)

I also wish you could upload your images straight to imgur, flickr, etc...

True, but I'd imagine that the Kinect offering will be much more reliable thanks to the active IR. Good luck trying to get the PS camera to recognise you in a poorly lit room.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I need someone to tweet shu or adam boyes let us know whats up with listening to your own music and the suspend feature. Damn i cant believe thats not in at launch.

Live free or die bro i couldnt care less about cod.

I just tweeted him about the music.

What does the patch do?
I'd assume more than that considering MS said it would take 15-20 minutes to download.

Top Bottom