• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation4 FW 1.5 details

Wow it's almost every feature needed in the day one update. Is background music only for music unlimited?

Also wondering this because that is useless to me .
I want to be able to listen to music on my HDD while playing games .
Would hope after so many year Sony got this right .

Multi log-in
A maximum of four users can log-in to a single PS4 system simultaneously. These players can use their own save data to play games, and also earn trophies on their own Sony Entertainment Network accounts even when playing a multiplayer game together on a single PS4 system.

Nice, first confirmation of multiple logins.

Raist

Banned
Then what on Earth was included in the 1.0 firmware?

Probably some of these too but not up to date. Or 1.0 was really just the dev kit barebones FW. I doubt it though.

Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

Wut?

Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

It will most likely be on discs too.

...hm nothing new. Sony will always suck at this.

What a joke, having to update your console on the day of a purchase lol.

MS will always crush them at this

It needs a day 1 patch too. >1GB IIRC?

You still don't need an internet connection to start playing games, right?

I mean theoretically you could run with 1.0 offline until a game is released with 1.5 on the disc.

elty

Sony probably began manufacturing the PS4 few months ago, when only a more basic firmware (that allows offline gaming) was available.

andycapps

Face recognition and voice commands
Users with PlayStation Camera will be able to register their facial image onto their PS4 system, and login to their system using facial recognition instead of DualShock 4. Furthermore, users can use either the microphone of the Mono Head set connected to DualShock 4, or PlayStation Camera to navigate through the PS4 home screen (PlayStation Dynamic Menu) with voice commands to start up games and shutdown the system, among other features; please refer to PS4’s online manual for recognizable voice commands.

boom.gif

It's really fucking strange, and ridiculous, that we're hearing details about the first firmware update before we even see a full reveal of the fucking OS.

Seriously Sony, it's out in 3 weeks. Surely you can fucking show us the OS.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

Grow up. If you can't add something meaningful, please don't post such childish remarks.

Microsoft also has a fairly large day one patch.

CaptainCally24

Neo Member
Awesome that its so packed with stuff, but seriously how is some of this not already a basic function in the system.. play DVDs/Blu Rays always thought that'd be inherent in the system & not part of a firmware

can't enter a new PS generation without a Firmware...thank goodness for the background chip

PS camera has facial recognition..... they announced it through text too (making it not a big deal as MS made it to be)

I also wish you could upload your images straight to imgur, flickr, etc...

Lol at Sony pushing Music Unlimited. Blech.

sony_music_unlimited_-_650x430.jpg

Is this a joke post? The XBO can't even play games until you're patched.

Is that confirmed or are you just making that up?

Vashetti

Banned

Far from it.

Xbox One has a mandatory Day 1 patch that removes the DRM. Shit out of luck if you can't connect.

nataku

No suspend/resume at launch is really odd. I hope it doesn't take long to come out... that was something I was really looking forward to using.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

Are you fucking kidding me? Please go take a look at what updates are needed for the Xbox One after purchase.

daxgame

Oh god, so it's WiiU all over again. Xbone is even worse probably. At least the servers should be better, but with all the traffic...

MMaRsu

Banned
Cerny talking about the suspend feature in February and its not even a basic hardware feature. What the FUCK Sony you cunts. Man im pissed off i need to go calm down. Wtf.........

Krakn3Dfx

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game.

Can't they just copy/paste off the Vita?
/s

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Why the hell do you have to connect to the net to activate the blu ray player

Most likely because the ps4 had begun production months ago before final firmwares were finished. Thus the day one patch.

Hopefully Sony will include the firmware with all retail launch titles for all those people planning to play without internet.
I remember Assassin's Creed came with a firmware update disc for the PS3, but surely the update can be included on the game disc for next gen?

So this is the equivalent of the Xbox One Day One patch.

Er, isn't the Xbone patch mandatory otherwise you can't play offline? Or, you get 24 hours and then it clonks out on you? I was of the understanding that its day one patch was to remove the 24 hour check-in requirement.

ckohler

Sony said:
Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game.

I think you'll still be able to suspend and resume a game. For example, suspend the game and go back to the Dynamic Menu to kick open a web page. What it's NOT going to do is let you put the console to sleep with the game suspended. Does anyone else agree? I would like more clarification, if so.

If I'm wrong and you can't suspend a game at all, that's really a bizarre oversight. Even the dev kits can do this.

BadWolf

Don't see why everyone is so fired up, it was either begin production early and get more units out or wait till the OS was more complete and have far fewer units available.

Top Bottom