• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiops

Fake tweet:

M5RXrLz.png

No, this is obviously not real, it's a funny fake tweet. Source.

LewieP

The defense-force this time around is saying that everyone is "mistaken" about what he actually meant, and that he didn't properly explain his position.

it's a big ole bucket of nonsense

Even if that were true (it's not) it would be good enough reason for Playtonic to remove him from the game.

Edit: To clarify I mean" claims that people are mistaken about what he actually meant aren't true", rather than "your post is untrue".

And honestly, regardless of everything, Jafari has tweeted as saying there are no hard feelings. So everyone is basically defending nothing at this point.

Gradon

Eurogamer is getting some of the worst comments I've seen on their Facebook post about this. It's unbelievably dire that people are attacking Playtonic for this.

The most common (failed) rebuttal I've seen so far is that the media are all 'taking what he said out of context'. You can't really go out of context when he said shit about non-whites diluting gene pools.

CONCH0BAR

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I got into an argument about this today (the JonTron thing) and was very unprepared for the standard talking points. How do I accurately respond when people make the following statements (forgive the language):

"Most blacks are killed by other blacks"
"Statistically, it's true that blacks are predisposed to committing crime."

The people I argued with were a Trump die hard and a "moderate". I know that that shit is super wrong to say, but I'm not learned enough to eloquently refute those points.

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I got into an argument about this today (the JonTron thing) and was very unprepared for the standard talking points. How do I accurately respond when people make the following statements (forgive the language):

The people I argued with were a Trump die hard and a "moderate". I know that that shit is super wrong to say, but I'm not learned enough to eloquently refute those points.

Blacks killing other blacks in urban areas where blacks make up a majority of the population is due to hundreds of years of systemic racism perpetuated to keep minorities poor and uneducated, not because they are genetically predisposed to killing.

To be honest though, you shouldn't bother with idiots like that.

Pizza

I feel like jontron's apology video is lowkey the semi-rational seed that grew into big racism

That said, yeah sorry not sorry I'm glad I won't have to hear his ass if I buy this game

Oh my god, there are some people on the Playtonic forums that are going to make me jump out a window. There is someone there that just said nothing Jon said is actually racist, and people just like to use that word against people they disagree with like when they call Trump a racist, and someone chimed in that Trump has never said anything racist to their knowledge.
Nuke the internet, it was a mistake.

CONCH0BAR

Blacks killing other blacks in urban areas where blacks make up a majority of the population is due to hundreds of years of systemic racism perpetuated to keep minorities poor and uneducated, not because they are genetically predisposed to killing.

To be honest though, you shouldn't bother with idiots like that.

I'm working on it, I've known these guys for a while but recent events have made me realize how terrible they are. I actually recently met a group of much more progressive people that I'm enjoying my time with.

"That's not true. Here are studies that show that's not true. Even the President admitted that this one wasn't true once people called him out for retweeting it."

I just love that in the span of like four or five hours we went from:

"lol triggered libruls are trying to boycott the game because of a line or two of dialogue"

"THIS VIOLATES THE BILL OF RIGHTS. Preorder cancelled, never wanted to play it anyway. Who is this Jon Tron guy anyway? I don't know what he said, but I'm pretty sure he has a solid case in court."

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna do my homework and try to be more prepared next time the topic comes up.

I don't understand how this happened. I used to think the youth leaned left.

I believe the large majority of youth is not racist, or white supremasist. Maybe I'm naive, but I like to believe there is more good than bad.

The internet and media seems to magnify things a bit. JonTron made some dumb comments, but I think the overwhelming majority disagrees with him.

Experien

How do you work out which tweets are real and which are fake? I'm on Twitter but don't use it that much.

Go to the person's profile timeline and see if the tweet is there. Don't see it, fake or deleted. Though I feel big tweets tend to be accompanied by a link to the tweet itself.

Maximo

I know it's been said since time immaterial, but reading twitter comments on things like Jon's response is brain melting.

Yeah it really is another plain of existence I feel like im drifting away from the utter disbelief of stupidity of some people.

MUnited83

For you.
Ah yes, the fake news defense.
Becoming quite popular nowadays I hear.

I'm going around the steam forums for fun, I love the mental gymnastics.

"JonTron is not a racist , that's fake news"

*list of racist statements by JonTron gets posted*

"Well most of those statements are actually true so that's not racist"

Then a bunch of
"you're the actual racists!"
"i'm mixed race so your accusation of me being racist is completely invalid"
"pandering"
"let politics outta my videogaimezzzz"

It's quite telling how predictable they are, it's just the same copy pasted non-arguments over and over. I think you can just replace them with automated scripts at this point.

Tiops

How do you work out which tweets are real and which are fake? I'm on Twitter but don't use it that much.

I believe there's a tweet generator that creates an image with the exact same formatting as Twitter, so it's impossible to detect by the image itself. Never trust a tweet if there is no source for it.

The real answer if people are interested (i'm sure it was linked before but i'm too lazy to check) :

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/845038284967493638

It was posted a few pages back, that's why I posted the joke one.

Could we not spread fake tweets around? People here have a hard enough time detecting sarcasm.

I specified pretty clearly that it is a fake Tweet. I know people here sucks at sarcasm, was banned once for it lol.

It ignores all the socioeconomic and historic factors that are the root of the issues. Its surface level politics that shows a deep lack of understanding and empathy. Also, always be sure to check actual statistics as a lot of whats used to argue these points is simple false, or heavily spun.

I believe the large majority of youth is not racist, or white supremasist. Maybe I'm naive, but I like to believe there is more good than bad.

The internet and media seems to magnify things a bit. JonTron made some dumb comments, but I think the overwhelming majority disagrees with him.

The problem is a lot of them joke about racism, especially on forums like 4chan, and they don't take it seriously, but they like in that sarcastic jokey atmosphere so long, they start believing their own mockery.

They do. But gamers don't. If you think about the history of our hobby, it makes a bit more sense. That's why Gaf is an oasis!

I mean it's at all levels. Not just rank and file.

I disagree with this. I'd say the fact that this thread even exists shows that's not true. If gamers skewed more to the right than the left then they would've had no reason to do this. From a business perspective it would be a terrible idea to change your game to a smaller market. Storytelling in gaming also tends to universally lean far more to the left than the right. Which again, seems like a pretty terrible business idea if you're selling your games to a market that leans in the opposite direction.

One thing social media is really good at is making you think a very loud voice represents the majority of people on a certain subject.

APF

This one is deliberately worded to prevent you from seeing it's assuming the answer to the point in contention (eg "begging the question"). The idea that black folks are "predisposed" to crime--that there is a natural or biological inclination--is actually the question you're debating, which cannot really be answered by tossing out random statistics. However the phrasing prompts you to ask they cite those stats, and not criticise the premise itself, which then leads you to cede the question to whomever can come up with the more convincing numbers. But the debate really is, racists want you to think there's an innate criminality at work justifying their racism, vs any number of complex socio-economic interactions which might instead point the finger at society-at-large, our history and institutions, and our treatment of folks including the perpetuation of stereotypes by the racists you're debating with.

The problem is a lot of them joke about racism, especially on forums like 4chan, and they don't take it seriously, but they like in that sarcastic jokey atmosphere so long, they start believing their own mockery.

The internet is a terrible place in a lot of ways. Think back to that AI that Microsoft released on Twitter a while back. She turned out to be terrible within an hour.

I however don't believe the internet is a great reflection on how people are to each other in real life.

fester

Banned
I specified pretty clearly that it is a fake Tweet. I know people here sucks at sarcasm, was banned once for it lol.

If you're expecting folks to read what you wrote (and not just react to the image), you're a helluva lot more optimistic than I am.

LewieP

Oh my god, there are some people on the Playtonic forums that are going to make me jump out a window. There is someone there that just said nothing Jon said is actually racist, and people just like to use that word against people they disagree with like when they call Trump a racist, and someone chimed in that Trump has never said anything racist to their knowledge.

"Keep politics out of games"

*Removes someone from the game because of his politics*

"no not like that, only politics I object to"

gngf123

Sorry.

The internet doesn't only magnify it, but it actively breeds it and has been doing so for years. There is a very clear line from Stormfront and other similar forums actively trying to raid other websites to convert people and breed new white nationalists, to the creation of /pol/, to the rise of this shit on Reddit and modern social media.

Years ago they even singled out communities which were easier to target. Guess which white male dominated, mostly socially outcast, community came up on top?

For them, having influential people like JonTron picking up their ideas wholesale is a perfect endgame, and there is now a large network of people ready and willing to support him.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

And most whites are killed by other whites. Ask them why they're overly concerned with black-on-black violence, but not at all fussed with the very similar percentage of white-on-white crime.
I'm guessing the metric for this bullshit assessment is prison populations, in which case you should point out that the most conclusive thing blacks are "statistically predisposed" to is more severe punishments and less leniency in general. Point out the studies that show young black children are punished harder than white classmates for identical infractions, cite the social experiments where a white guy is trying to break into a car and passerbys assume it's his and help him, while a black man is trying to get into his own car and draws heavy skepticism and has the police called on him. Ask them to extrapolate from there on what happens when minorities are leaned on by the police vs. similar situations with white people.

Sorry.

The internet doesn't only magnify it, but it actively breeds it and has been doing so for years. There is a very clear line from Stormfront and other similar forums actively trying to raid other websites to convert people and breed new white nationalists, to the creation of /pol/, to the rise of this shit on Reddit and modern social media.

For them, having influential people like JonTron picking up their ideas wholesale is a perfect endgame, and there is now a large network of people ready and willing to support him.

What i mean by magnifying is that I think it's worst on the internet than what it is in real life. For the most part I see people be pretty respectful to each other in real life. I think the majority of people are against racism in real life is what I'm saying.

I just try and ignore stupid people on the internet. It's full of them.

Nanashrew

Banned
Sorry.

This is something I was bringing up somewhere else. When I saw or received posts online talking about anti-white or white genocide almost 10 years ago, it was only from white supremacists with racist and nazi avatars. Now I'm seeing more and more pick up that rhetoric and ideals behind it.

The internet is a terrible place in a lot of ways. Think back to that AI that Microsoft released on Twitter a while back. She turned out to be terrible within an hour.

I however don't believe the internet is a great reflection on how people are to each other in real life.

Well, yeah. When people have to say these things to the face of other people, they usually turn out to be chickenshits. But then the question is, what is a person's true self?
The one they offer when they have no fear or the one they publicly show off in the real world?

Usobuko

Banned
I hope all the people who asked for it will buy the game even if they don't like 3D platformers. Show your support to amazing devs!

I can feel it that Yooka will be my GOTY. I hope the game will live to its expectations and people get to try it!

Buying because of it.

I usually hate all 3d platformers unless it's Mario.

Kthulhu

Don't move to a red state. There are hundreds of people I know with similar views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom