• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please Nintendo, patch Yoshi's New Island's music... :(

Isotope

The music isn't really that bad. I would link some good pieces but the number of quotes the Yoshi Clan song has gotten suggest that they would fall on deaf ears.

Granted, Yoshi Clan is the one song that's EXTREMELY bad. I'd like to hear some more personally. I know that I really like Bouncy Beanstalk Walk.

I have to assume there is a scene where a group of Yoshi characters clumsily (but cutely?) play this song. Or something along those lines. I can't imagine we're supposed to listen to it outside the game, or that it's supposed to be a good song.

It only plays when the Yoshis first find Baby Mario in the pouch I believe.

Metallix87

I consider the first Yoshi's Island a masterpiece. The fact that Nintendo sees fit to hand this franchise off to a B team yet again just grosses me out. The art style and music alone tell me everything I need to know.

Yoshi's Island is my favorite game of all time, yet I still understand why Nintendo has Arzest making the new games. Arzest, like their predecessor Artoon, have a fine pedigree because of their Sega heritage, and their games sell well, and I'm guessing are likely very cheap to make. Do I wish Nintendo would make a new Yoshi's Island themselves? Yes, absolutely, but I can't deny that Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island are excellent games in their own rights, the former hampered by a non-existent soundtrack and the latter hindered by a negative campaign fueled by a bad song you hear for all of a minute in the game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I consider the first Yoshi's Island a masterpiece. The fact that Nintendo sees fit to hand this franchise off to a B team yet again just grosses me out. The art style and music alone tell me everything I need to know.

Ehh, it's actually kind of an okay game. It's better than anything made when Arzest was Artoon.

Lijik

This logic makes no sense. The game is actually very good, and unlike Yoshi's Island DS, the music on the whole isn't bad.

The music on the whole is mediocre with a few decent tracks, if it wasnt for total drek in YNI like The Yoshi Clan the two games would be on par. Really not getting where youre coming from by constantly hammering "its not YIDS!"

Metallix87

The music on the whole is mediocre with a few decent tracks, if it wasnt for total drek in YNI like The Yoshi Clan the two games would be on par. Really not getting where youre coming from by constantly hammering "its not YIDS!"

Yoshi's Island DS is a superior game compared to Yoshi's New Island, but it's soundtrack is absolutely atrocious. There is not a single worthwhile song in it, unfortunately.

Yoshi's New Island has one bad song, a bunch of decent ones, and a bunch of really solid ones. The one bad song, which again plays for only about a minute of the game, is the go-to reason to condemn it.

Yoshi's Island still contains the superior soundtrack over the two, and a part of me wonders why they don't just remix that soundtrack for sequels, but regardless, YIDS has the worst soundtrack of the three by miles.

NR1

Yes, Yoshi's Clan gets the beef of the attention, but I will say all the songs are lack luster. They just do not engage me. They come off as more passive and simply fail to get me into the game.

Every simple song in on the SNES game felt like it was just as integral to the levels as the enemies, backgrounds, animation and puzzles. It almost felt like Yoshi was moving to the beat of the music. New Island just feels so disconnected from it's music.

Yoshi's Island DS is a superior game, but it's soundtrack is absolutely atrocious. There is not a single worthwhile song in it, unfortunately.

Yoshi's New Island has one bad song, a bunch of decent ones, and a bunch of really solid ones. The one bad song, which again plays for only about a minute of the game, is the go-to reason to condemn it.

Yoshi's Island still contains the superior soundtrack over the two, and a part of me wonders why they don't just remix that soundtrack for sequels, but regardless, YIDS has the worst soundtrack of the three by miles.

There's good music in YIDS, it's just put together poorly and low quality.

The Brawl version of this YIDS song for example, makes it seem great.
The composition and quality is far better and it sounds more like a Yoshi Island song.

rjc571

Banned
Most of the music is pretty good, but people like to single out the one or two bad tracks to push their agenda while pretending the good tracks don't exist, for some bizarre reason.

Blues1990

a6TYFCR.gif

Toxi

Banned
The music isn't very good in the normal levels either.

And it doesn't even have the wonderful comedy value of the RE1 Director's Cut Basement theme.

That remix is better than the version in the actual game. The version that plays in the game sounds completely out of place, and not matching the feel of the series or even the stage.

No, but the song itself is workable. I don't know, I think if it didn't have that really goofy and annoying bass it would be a lot better.

I mean, nothing is coming close to Yoshi's Island's Flower Field. It lives in a whole other tier of Mario music, but the DS version is a decent song, just a poor composition.

Camjo-Z

Granted, Yoshi Clan is the one song that's EXTREMELY bad. I'd like to hear some more personally. I know that I really like Bouncy Beanstalk Walk.

Yeah, Bouncy Beanstalk Walk is one of the best ones. Aside from the main theme that everything else is based off of and Bandit Valley that CronoShot linked above, I also like Ski-Lift Leap, the Special Levels, and Koopa Canyon.

I wouldn't say the soundtrack is amazing or anything, but the majority of the songs are just nice background music, with some really good tracks and a few really bad ones which seem to be all that anybody can remember.

Lotto

I don't know, I just skimmed through some of the tracks on youtube and it's not all that bad but it seems like they just remix the same song over and over again.

Lijik

EDIT- Hotfoot Hurdle is really good! Its too bad they only use it for one stage. The mellow cafe jazz mixed with being inside of the volcano was strangely a good mix. Thats the kind of weirdness this game should have relied on but mostly doesnt.

Yoshi's Island DS is a superior game compared to Yoshi's New Island, but it's soundtrack is absolutely atrocious. There is not a single worthwhile song in it, unfortunately.

I completely disagree on the counts of YNI having only one bad song and YIDS having no worthwhile ones. I like the main theme in YIDS more than YNI, even if it makes some baffling music decisions (the fortress theme is so bad for one!)

I mean come on, you have to at least admit this is superior to the weird spedup kazoo mess that is Yoshi New Island's menu theme

Metallix87

I don't know, I just skimmed through some of the tracks on youtube and it's not all that bad but it seems like they just remix the same song over and over again.

Not really. What it is is that, much like the NSMB games and the Mario 3D games, they take a common musical motif and create different songs with it. They've been doing it with their Mario platformers since Mario 64, I believe.

Crayolan

I haven't played the game, but if the music is so bad you have to mute it to stay sane the game is not worth playing.

Metallix87

I completely disagree on the counts of YNI having only one bad song and YIDS having no worthwhile ones. I like the main theme in YIDS more than YNI, even if it makes some baffling music decisions (the fortress theme is so bad for one!)

I mean come on, you have to admit this is superior to the weird spedup kazoo mess that is Yoshi New Island's menu theme

I'll agree with you on the title theme, which I forgot to consider since it doesn't play during the actual game, but the YIDS one isn't good. YIDS just lacks good music, while YNI has some bad tracks and a good amount of solid ones, IMO.

Clownboat

Banned

Calling Artoon a "B team" is way too generous. Handing Yoshi over to them was essentially sending him to a farm upstate.

It's odd that Nintendo is so protective of certain characters, but willing to release abominable games with others. Publishers the world over would have killed to have a character as beloved and recognizable as Yoshi, but the selling power of Yoshi games is basically gone after the last few boxes the name has been slapped across.

Metallix87

Calling Artoon a "B team" is way too generous. Handing Yoshi over to them was essentially sending him to a farm upstate.

It's odd that Nintendo is so protective of certain characters, but willing to release abominable games with others. Publishers the world over would have killed to have a character as beloved and recognizable as Yoshi, but the selling power of Yoshi games is basically gone after the last few boxes the name has been slapped across.

Hyperbole strikes again...

Lijik

I'll agree with you on the title theme, which I forgot to consider since it doesn't play during the actual game, but the YIDS one isn't good. YIDS just lacks good music, while YNI has some bad tracks and a good amount of solid ones, IMO.

I guess this is just where musical taste kicks in. I think the theme in the DS game is more jaunty and rollicking, which is more fitting for a platformer. New Island's theme (and the majority of its variations) is just too sedate for the type of game its in. Comparing Windblown Wilderness and Bandit Valley and to me theres just no comparison.

Neither game comes anywhere close to matching the original soundtrack but YIDS more often than not is more energetic.

bon

I'm amazed at how many people don't get that the Yoshi Clan song is supposed to sound dopey.

Do you guys also think the RE composer was being serious with this track?

EDIT: Just skimmed the rest of the thread and yes, people actually do think that.

Josh7289

It's a recurring musical motif. Super Mario 64, the New Super Mario Bros. games, and Super Mario 3D Land did the same.

But at least from what's been posted in this thread, it seems like it's heavily used in every single track in the game. That's too much, in my opinion.

daydream

Banned
Why does this game seemingly use the exact same chord progression in every single one of its tracks?

Why not? They did the same thing in Yoshi's Story. As long as instrumentation, tempo, etc. is unique in every track, I see nothing wrong with it (in fact, I find it an interesting method).

You do realize that everyone of those songs in the exact same song, right? They just remix them. This is what they game suffers so much... needless repeating.

Oh, thanks for letting me know. Actually, now that I think about it, Beethoven did the same with his Diabelli variatons. What a slouch!

Lijik

Why not? They did the same thing in Yoshi's Story. As long as instrumentation, tempo, etc. is unique in every track, I see nothing wrong with it (in fact, I find it an interesting method).

Hell, Super Mario World is the mega mack daddy in this style of composing.

Toad.T

Banned
They should've released it on a real platform.

But then it wouldn't have been on a Nintendo platform, if they had.

...The Wii U and 3DS are bad coma dreams, right? I'm gonna wake up and see that Earthbound 4 was released on the Giga NES, right?
/s.

Hell, Super Mario World is the mega mack daddy in this style of composing.
Yeah but there were quite a few different themes that got used, it wasn't just one or two. And they did cool stuff like take a theme that was done in a major key and completely flip it by putting it into a minor key.

And the arrangement of each variation was unique and amazing.

stktt

Banned
So I guess it's a good thing that I passed on this game then?

Only if you're physically incapable of tolerating a song that only plays once throughout the entire game. I would recommend NSMB2 or DKCR3D before Yoshi's New Island, but it's definitely an enjoyable platformer. Yoshi Clan isn't indicative of the soundtrack as a whole.

Lijik

Are there any other notably poor song other than that one? Yoshi Clan seems to be the only one that gets linked.

The sound it makes every time you select it on the Home screen
The Title Screen
Cruise In the Clouds
Cave Theme

Gargantua Blargg isnt like super bad or anything, but its really not my cup of tea.

Anything with a kazoo in this game is pretty poor, its like the opposite of a Rayman soundtrack in that regard. Its best stuff are when it veers into lounge music

Top Bottom