• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please Nintendo, patch Yoshi's New Island's music... :(

maxcriden

The hate in this thread is really silly and misguided. It's one polarizing track. There are plenty of legit gems in there.

ETA: thanks to an earlier post, I listened to Bandit Valley again. That's a really good track.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised you didn't just post the Yoshi Clan.

Real talk, not all of the music is disappointing. Especially Evening Theme, it's pretty okay.

I like how "pretty okay" is the best this soundtrack is going to get. They really went with a very bland motif through the entire audio department. And it's a real shame, I loved SMW2, Yoshi's Story was pretty good to in it's own regard, but in general the Yoshi games are the gaming equivalent of M Night Shyamalan movies, gradually worse with each release.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I like how "pretty okay" is the best this soundtrack is going to get. They really went with a very bland motif through the entire audio department. And it's a real shame, I loved SMW2, Yoshi's Story was pretty good to in it's own regard, but in general the Yoshi games are the gaming equivalent of M Night Shyamalan movies, gradually worse with each release.
Actually, both Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island are way superior to Story.

MercuryLS

Banned
Some of the defending of YIDS and YNI in this thread makes me laugh. Lowered expectations for real. YI is an absolute masterpiece and in my top 3 favorite games of all time, these farmed out garbage sequels are an affront to the series. Nintendo should be ashamed to release these games.

The defense of "well they're not THAT bad" is shameful, they don't have one ounce of the the greatness of the original YI.

maxcriden

Some of the defending of YIDS and YNI in this thread makes me laugh. Lowered expectations for real. YI is an absolute masterpiece and in my top 3 favorite games of all time, these farmed out garbage sequels are an affront to the series. Nintendo should be ashamed to release these games.

The defense of "well they're not THAT bad" is shameful, they don't have one ounce of the the greatness of the original YI.

Have you played YNI? It's legitimately solid. This was all you said in the OT:

Considering Yoshi's Island is my second favorite game of all time (after Mario 3), it's really sad to see Nintendo treating this franchise with such little respect. After the middling Yoshi's Island DS from Artoon, why would they hire a team made up of ex-Artoon devs to make the sequel? Why can't they make one of these games in-house and do the series justice?

And that was before the game was out. Have you even given the game a shot?

nynt9

It's a perfectly good soundtrack, I've been listening to it pretty regularly. Experimental/Weird tracks like Yoshi Clan are few and far between, so citing those is totally misrepresenting the game. But hey, don't let me stop you.

That seems to be the primary objective of the people against the music in this game. They choose one track, Yoshi Clan, which plays only once during the game and just for about a minute, and use it to attack the entire soundtrack, despite it containing some real gems.

Pretty much. And the track makes sense in context imo. The game's music is totally fine.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Jesus Christ, this is awful

EDIT Listened to some more tracks and while they're alright, they all sound exactly the same. What the hell?
All of the tracks, even the ones linked that are supposedly good, are terrible compared to YI SNES. Flat out garbage.

The Yoshi Clan is my favorite, that sing better make it into Smash or Yarn Yoshi or something. I crack up every time now that I don't feel sick anymore.

Ganondorfo

You expect that Koji Kondo keeps making masterpiece soundtracks like Yoshis Island all the time? No, no human can do that, thats why you all think Yoshis New Island is dissapointing.

NR1

ffdgh

The music plays a huge role in getting the player drawn into the game. Just look at the first world playlist between the two titles. This doesn't even include the horrible sound effects that the 3DS game curses us with too.

GOOD (Yoshi's Island):

Story Intro
Title Screen
Map Theme
Levels One & Two
Victory Theme
Level Three
First Castle
Boss
Level 5
Level 7
Castle 2 Boss

BAD (Yoshi's NEW Island):

Title Screen
Story Intro
Yoshi Clan
Map Theme
Level 1
Victory Theme
Castle 1
Boss battle

Oh underground/cave theme how I adore thee. Needs the final boss theme.

Ifrit

"Charlie Browns parents having an argument.wav"

Gotta love youtube comments
KuGsj.gif

Metallix87

Not as great as the best platformer ever made =/= Bad, simple as that.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
They should've released it on a real platform.

I know, it would play so much better on my iPad.

Let's be real here, if the music sucks it would have sucked regardless of platform. Ace Attorney 5, Bravely Default, and Fire Emblem Awakening have amazing soundtracks on the 3DS.

Pro Tip: It ain't the 3DS that is producing the crappy soundtrack.

Top Bottom