• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLP (Portrait-Landscape-Portrait) Desktop Monitor Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use one of these setups? Particularly for work, and not gaming. For those uncertain what it is then consult the following picture I stole from a Google search.

70bOW.jpg

It basically just means you have three monitors where the two outer are setup in portrait and the middle landscape. The reason I ask is because I've been given a new device at work that only has Display Port outputs. All our monitors are DVI/VGA though, which means I get to order me some new monitors. I was hoping for a nice even vertical height setup like the image, but it seems that's only possible with 20-30-20, and a 30 inch screen is a bit out of budget.

So I guess I'm in part looking for suggestions from those who use similar setups. I was considering just going for two landscape monitors, but I don't like the 'uneven' feeling they give me when using them. I might just have to go with something like below unless someone is aware of another configuration that works.

That would have come in handy when I worked at Countrywide. I had to review legal docs and scrolling up and down got annoying fast.

Yeah, that's part my desire for it. I'd have one outer monitor dedicated to document/page scrolling, the other outer to monitoring tools, and the center my work area.

Krejlooc

Banned
portrait mode setup is awesome for work, particularly computer programming with, say, a 24" monitor at 4k. Being able to display so much code at once is really, really awesome.

But, and while I know you said you were mainly using it for work, it's awful for gaming if any screen tearing is induced. That's because, in portrait mode, the "raster line" (yes, these things still have raster lines) would move from left to right, which is pretty jarring.

portrait mode setup is awesome for work, particularly computer programming with, say, a 24" monitor at 4k. Being able to display so much code at once is really, really awesome.

But, and while I know you said you were mainly using it for work, it's awful for gaming if any screen tearing is induced. That's because, in portrait mode, the "raster line" (yes, these things still have raster lines) would move from left to right, which is pretty jarring.
I find it awful for coding, honestly. My work computer is set up that way, but I just put my browser on the vertical screen. Putting code there makes it nearly unreadable for me because almost every line goes off the screen.

I have a landscape+portrait setup at my last job and I loved it. They were the same size monitors so it didn't look seemless, but I felt like my productivity soared with a portrait mode. I had to review a lot of regulatory documents, so it eliminated scrolling a lot and I could have so many windows open without needing to flip around all the time. It was rad.

I won't be doing any gaming since it's my work desktop. I'm not that desperate to get fired yet.

I find it awful for coding, honestly. My work computer is set up that way, but I just put my browser on the vertical screen. Putting code there makes it nearly unreadable for me because almost every line goes off the screen.

I think at 4k there is enough horizontal real-estate to code on a portrait monitor without much concern. But I may be wrong. I only do minimal coding at my job (mostly system admin stuff).

KiKaL

Yeah, I have a set up with Macbook, Landscape Monitor and then a Portrait monitor. I end up using the laptop and landscape monitors the most and end up just having hipchat and terminal in the portrait. It's just too narrow unless I hide the Filebrowser in my IDE.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My setup is a little bit different. Right now I have a 34" 21:9 UltraWide in the center with a Portrait 27" Ultrasharp to my left. It's a bit tall lol. I like it though because I don't have to look far to the left to view everything. In portrait mode you can have like 3 different smaller windows open.

For example on the main screen I could be playing a game on the center screen and then on the left have a video running (If I'm grinding in an mmo or something) an audio player, Voice Chat Window, and other windows like a parsing application (A system to check you and your parties dps in a MMO).

Man it is very rare for me to ever see a line of code go over 100-120 characters. If it does you guys need to format your code better. This is notoriously verbose java code too.

I have my set up as one monitor landscape and one monitor portrait. Portrait monitor for coding, the other for most other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom