• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size model Tess Holliday’s Cosmopolitan magazine cover stirs controversy

caffeware

Banned
In a tweet on Wednesday, Holliday announced her upcoming cover photo for Cosmopolitan U.K.’s October issue, in which she’s wearing an emerald one-piece bathing suit. The model herself is not shy about sharing how thrilled she is, and neither are her many thousands of followers, inspired by the inclusive representation.

cd16a95627f881b9fef159a9a3b61790

Tweets from both sides:
Code:
Seasonal Thalassophile @Oddsbodikins7

How many young women would have been out enjoying life knowing they're beautiful as they are, rather than crying over why they don't look like they "should", if photos like this were more prevalent?

Code:
Rowan Reid: Your Pleasantly Peculiar Paramour @MissRowanReid

More body diversity in media please. That includes women, men and non-binary.

Still, reactions to the cover and Holliday’s words inside the magazine have not been all positive. Instead, some followers have taken it upon themselves to warn the model about the dangers of promoting obesity. In the interview, Holliday reveals she is “the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life.”

Code:
❝WickedLittleSiren❞ ♏ @La_Bella_Amor

Great confidence but your BMI is unhealthy sis.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ple...ver-heres-theyre-getting-wrong-160901309.html

What do you think? Is she fat or just thicc?

Last edited:

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I’m ok with being comfortable with your own skin.

But by no means should people pass this off as healthy.

This is not healthy.

TrainedRage

Banned
"plus size"? Bruh she is supersized. And its gross. I bet she will cost us a pretty penny in taxes for her triple bypass and surgery to amputate her leg from diabetes.

highrider

Banned
She’s fat. I’m not saying that being that weight is something to feel ashamed of, it’s a health issue like many other things. It’s hard to lose weight, particularly when it’s more than 100 pounds. But the finger snap you go girl.. no.

NewYork214

I don't believe this should be celebrated because of all of the serious health complications with obesity.

But, I will say that her tattoos look amazing. Except for the miss piggy on her arm haha

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Yeah there’s embracing your body, and I’m glad she is doing that, but then there is also unhealthy. Maybe someone with more knowledge or stats can talk about how healthy or unhealthy this might be. I was not expecting someone that large when I clicked through (still cute though imo).

While on the topic, I think it’s important to remember that there are people with serious medical issues that cause them to be overweight which they cannot help. People are obese (or just unhealthy in general) for all sorts of different reasons. Just... don’t turn this into a fat shaming thread or something.

Cato

Banned
No normal man would want her because she is gross.
She is gross because evolution has hardwired us to try to seek out the most suitable partners to start a family with.
She will be dead in 10 years so she is highly unsuitable as a partner.

No normal man would want to start a family with her since she will be a burden to the family and she will be dead soon anyway.
Who wants to start a family with a person you know for certain will not be around and help supporting the family 10 years from now?
Who will by certain leave you to be the sole parent and supporter for the children?

The reason we find her gross is thousands of generations of evolution. This is evolution telling us :
Don't start a family with this person. Not a good idea.

Last edited:

ILLtown

It's weird how models that are too thin are seen as unhealthy, but the same sites calling that shit out are fine with parading around big fat morbidly obese fuckers as "body positive". Probably because a sizeable portion (no pun intended :p) of their readership are porkers.

The world is going fucking mad though, for real. Ads like these get banned.....

PXMeaiu.jpg

.....while we're cheering on people who've put in way too much overtime with the knife and fork. Shit ain't right.

Airola

She's fat and being that fat is unhealthy. Doesn't mean she can't be seen as beautiful or sexy though.

The pervy asshole side of me would absolutely take a look and play with them fat girl titties. She's got a pretty face too.
But then again I am one of those weirdos who lose interest in oogling at the prettier women in The Biggest Loser when they get thin.

But yes, she is fat and it shouldn't be promoted as being healthy. Not really sure if that's the magazines point though. I think they are just trying to show that a fat girl can be pretty and self confident too. I think there should be a middle ground between "fat people are gorgeous and the best" and "fat people should be ashamed of themselves and they can't ever be pretty" though.

It's weird how models that are too thin are seen as unhealthy, but the same sites calling that shit out are fine with parading around big fat morbidly obese fuckers as "body positive".

Well technically though if food suddenly disappeared she'd outlive the people who are too thin :D

TheFarter

Banned
I couln't care less if she's on a cover of a magazine. If I have a problem with it, I just wouldn't buy that months magazine. Nobody is forced to have to look or buy. Good for her. Some people out there are in to it.

It's Jeff

Banned
All medical metrics confirm that she's fat. Any suggestions to the contrary are delusions. If she's cool with it, that's fine and it's her life.

I'm not going to shame her, but the bottom corner on the cover says she wants the haters to kiss her ass. That's a shot across my bow, so allow me to retort.

Every person has room for self improvement, and that arrogance confirms her inside is goddamn ugly. Beauty is subjective, so I'm not touching that aspect but she needs to be addressing her health before telling anybody to kiss her ass.

Papa

Banned
She's fat and being that fat is unhealthy. Doesn't mean she can't be seen as beautiful or sexy though.

The pervy asshole side of me would absolutely take a look and play with them fat girl titties. She's got a pretty face too.
But then again I am one of those weirdos who lose interest in oogling at the prettier women in The Biggest Loser when they get thin.

But yes, she is fat and it shouldn't be promoted as being healthy. Not really sure if that's the magazines point though. I think they are just trying to show that a fat girl can be pretty and self confident too. I think there should be a middle ground between "fat people are gorgeous and the best" and "fat people should be ashamed of themselves and they can't ever be pretty" though.

Well technically though if food suddenly disappeared she'd outlive the people who are too thin :D

Sounds like you have a fat fetish, mate. Nothing wrong with that as long as we don’t pretend they’re healthy.

Takuan

The controversy is intentional; it's generating discussion and giving the mag more coverage than the typical issue featuring a smoking hot flavour of the month type.

There's an argument that the media affects what we find attractive, but I'm fairly positive no amount of representation is going to make certain body types physically attractive to the masses. That said, it could help girls who aren't as genetically blessed with their confidence to see more "regular" body types represented in everyday media.

Yet another example of clown world. She is very unhealthy, and sadly will likely die premature. A sane society would not be promoting this.

It's weird how models that are too thin are seen as unhealthy, but the same sites calling that shit out are fine with parading around big fat morbidly obese fuckers as "body positive". Probably because a sizeable portion (no pun intended :p) of their readership are porkers.

The world is going fucking mad though, for real. Ads like these get banned.....

PXMeaiu.jpg

.....while we're cheering on people who've put in way too much overtime with the knife and fork. Shit ain't right.
This is something to strive for.

mustardman

Banned
This is something we can all agree on. This is absolutely not healthy. There is plenty of room for 'plus size' models on magazine covers, given that a few years ago it meant not a stick figure.

Regular bodied women on magazine covers is a good thing. But morbidly obese women promoting that lifestyle as healthy is abhorrent and shouldn't be celebrated.

Last edited:

dolabla

This new trend of glorifying obesity is something that just blows my mind. How did we get to this point? Thing is if she lost that weight she would probably be cute. She looks to have a cute face.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Shes a mess and shouldn't be applauded.

At that weight her medical alignments are most definitely happening and more are on the way.

At that size feminine "cleaning" is and will be quite an issue.
She, with out photoshop, most likely has inner thigh, ass, and gunt chaffing and sores/scars.

She most prob, definitely, sweats A LOT. And her unhealthy lifestyle is perspired right out of her.

Do to her size she clearly eats a lot...what's sexy about a girl who takes gigantic shits?

If her weakened joints/sense of balance has her fall down, what man can help her up?
If she suffers a heart attack, which is soon to be, who will be able to perform/move her to an area to perform CPR?

Gander

Banned
There is no such thing as the not achievable. Fitness is achievable by anyone. Granted it's harder for some than others but being fit is universally accepted as being appealing and that is not going to change. I don't think we as a society are doing any favors to someone validating that they weigh 300 lbs. and should just continue to live their life.

Lol wtf, looks terrible, though one has to give her kudos for the confidence, despite being morbidly obese.

.. and then you have some of the other headlines. :messenger_dizzy:

*The Other Lover: Why I vetted my wife's affair

ILLtown

Not a fucking chance! The thin people would kill and roast her and have enough meat to last them months.

I like how they airbrushed out all her cellulite too, haha.

Also, 99% of the thin/regularly sized women who are like "you go girl!" would commit suicide if they woke up tomorrow morning, looked in the mirror, and were as fat as her. That's what I hate the most. The dishonesty. "You look great!". Nah, you fucking don't.

Last edited:
Fat shaming is bad.
Fat acceptance is good.
Fat genuine concern from close friends and family members is also good.
Fat celebration is bad.

That's pretty much where I stand on the topic, at least.

cr0w

Old Member
I'm glad she's comfortable in her own skin. I would hope, however, that she's not comfortable with being unhealthy and that will lead to some lifestyle changes before she drops dead of a massive coronary before the age of 40.

ILLtown

When I was at junior school there were only 2 fat kids in the entire year and they got bullied and had to run to save their own asses so at least they got some exercise. Now, like 50% of kids are obese or some shit. WTF?

Only a handful of fetish-having motherfuckers find morbidly obese people physically attractive. I bet even Tess wouldn't date a man as fat as she is, not least because the gap between dick and vag would be insurmountable.

hecatomb

Banned
I don't know why people are pushing for this over-weight movement, its like they just want people to be lazy and get diabetes. Like how does that benefit anyone?

Top Bottom