• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size model Tess Holliday’s Cosmopolitan magazine cover stirs controversy

Cute face, but unfortunately she got bigger. This is not thicc at all. Thinking that people should eat whatever they want and not feel social ostracism is ridiculous. She shouldn't skinny shame if she doesn't want fat shaming.

Last edited:

AaronB

What exactly is a model, anyway? Is being attractive really necessary? Do you have to be thin? No?

I guess I should get into modeling, then. The world is ready for heavyset, balding guys who aren't particularly good-looking.

also its always the kind of thing people say like "shes fat but she has such a pretty face" and thats why a lot of the overweight models get work but i want to see where its just some fat guy on a cover and them being like "hes fat sure but hes so handsome"

octiny

Banned
Id go down on her.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tkscz

I said it in another thread and I'll say it here, Tess Holiday is fucking sexy, but is a huge fucking brat. Not really a bitch, she doesn't attack people as much as you would think, but she is entitled as shit. Having been known for giving other plus sized models shit and seeing herself as a head of a movement. She is really fucking annoying as a person, so much so that regardless of how sexy she is, I would not do, even if she wasn't married already.

Oh get that out of here son. I've gone down on women bigger than her.

Last edited:
I do not understand why you think accepting fat is good.
One could argue that accepting fat people (but not celebrating them) would lead to fewer of them. I believe, although correct me if I'm wrong, that it is the same way with drug addiction (acceptance lowers addiction more than shaming) as well as abortion (help people do it safely and rates go down, vs punishing them and rates go up).

It's a matter of psychology. Don't forget that we are still governed largely by these lizard brains that evolved in a time very different from our modern society.

Gander

Banned
I've been in the club partying with good looking girls and seen the girl who weighs 300 lbs. wondering why I'm not giving her the same kind of attention. I'm not mean but my libido is not attracted to her. I feel bad but I'm still not pursing her. Girls like that want society's image of beauty to change and they are fighting an uphill battle.

One could argue that accepting fat people (but not celebrating them) would lead to fewer of them. I believe, although correct me if I'm wrong, that it is the same way with drug addiction (acceptance lowers addiction more than shaming) as well as abortion (help people do it safely and rates go down, vs punishing them and rates go up).

It's a matter of psychology. Don't forget that we are still governed largely by these lizard brains that evolved in a time very different from our modern society.

or it could be that cheeseburgers taste fucking insane and i bet doing heroin feels good as shit. no one is going to stop because im nice to them

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am all for models of more healthy weights that are not the anorexic/overly chiseled types we tend to see, however this is going the exact opposite way into morbidly obese territory. Neither are healthy nor realistic for the majority of the audience.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it here, Tess Holiday is fucking sexy, but is a huge fucking brat. Not really a bitch, she doesn't attack people as much as you would think, but she is entitled as shit. Having been known for giving other plus sized models shit and seeing herself as a head of a movement. She is really fucking annoying as a person, so much so that regardless of how sexy she is, I would not do, even if she wasn't married already.

Oh get that out of here son. I've gone down on women bigger than her.
90159.jpg

hecatomb

Banned
You know whats strange also is how this over weight movement is only showing women and not over weight men.

Arkage

Banned
My dad is pretty overweight, probably qualifies as obese. He's not happy about it and we don't really bring it up but I worry about his health. While shaming people into getting thin is a bad approach, convincing them to feel proud of it is even worse.

Tesseract

Banned
Yeah there’s embracing your body, and I’m glad she is doing that, but then there is also unhealthy. Maybe someone with more knowledge or stats can talk about how healthy or unhealthy this might be. I was not expecting someone that large when I clicked through (still cute though imo).

While on the topic, I think it’s important to remember that there are people with serious medical issues that cause them to be overweight which they cannot help. People are obese (or just unhealthy in general) for all sorts of different reasons. Just... don’t turn this into a fat shaming thread or something.

there are no medical issues that cause you to be overweight. none.

embracing gross obesity isn't good.

Last edited:
or it could be that cheeseburgers taste fucking insane and i bet doing heroin feels good as shit. no one is going to stop because im nice to them
You're probably knowledgable enough to know that "acceptance" is not another term for "being nice." Also, I can't tell what your intent is because it's the internet, but are you claiming that drug addiction strategies based on support and empathy are NOT more effective than the alternatives? That would be a pretty dramatic stance and you'd probably need a good deal of evidence to back it up.

Greedings

Hypothyroid. People tend to gain weight when they have chronic joint and hip pain too.

Hypothiroid is super rare, and can be medicated. Chronic pain doesn't lead to her level of obesity, especially at a young age. I occasionally work with young people who have arthritis, and they're all overweight. They are not obese though. She is some extreme level of obese.
There are tons of genetic factors which contribute to obesity, through increased food in take, lower metabolic rate, lower thermogenesis, increased insulin resistance and many, many more. Let's not go around saying stupid shit like "fatness has nothing to do with genetics or medical conditions" it's just plain wrong.

However, there are tons of people who have these conditions or genetic variants and maintain a healthy body weight. This woman is not even trying.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've been in the club partying with good looking girls and seen the girl who weighs 300 lbs. wondering why I'm not giving her the same kind of attention. I'm not mean but my libido is not attracted to her. I feel bad but I'm still not pursing her. Girls like that want society's image of beauty to change and they are fighting an uphill battle.
If a chick weighs twice of what I weight and gets mad if I dont want to hit that shes stupid and needs to go look for a soy boi.

Btw this chick has no ailment and is a shit person google her or find her thread on kiwi farms lol

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Will I live to see a fat dude being on a magazine cover with a message that he should embrace his body?

As someone who has been overweight and became fit: This is gross and should not be encouraged.

Hypothiroid is super rare, and can be medicated. Chronic pain doesn't lead to her level of obesity, especially at a young age. I occasionally work with young people who have arthritis, and they're all overweight. They are not obese though. She is some extreme level of obese.
There are tons of genetic factors which contribute to obesity, through increased food in take, lower metabolic rate, lower thermogenesis, increased insulin resistance and many, many more. Let's not go around saying stupid shit like "fatness has nothing to do with genetics or medical conditions" it's just plain wrong.

However, there are tons of people who have these conditions or genetic variants and maintain a healthy body weight. This woman is not even trying.

I agree with you. But Hypothyroidism is fairly common, 5 out of 100 have it with wild symptom variance. It's completely treatable, but has to be diagnosed, etc. You won't even know that you have it, that's just how it develops.

So the pun was accidental? Should've just claimed it.

Hahaha I'm late.

Last edited by a moderator:

What I was trying to ask tesseract is that he said there are no chance medical conditions can be linked to being overweight. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4730324/

betrayal

Banned
Cool, another cover that promotes an unhealthy lifestyle. With 60 years there are two options left for her. Either she lost many of her pounds or she's dead. Whatever comes first i guess.

JimiNutz

Banned
I had no idea who she was but was very interested to see a plus size model since I like thick curvey women....

That woman isn't thick or voluptuous, she's overweight to the point where it looks unhealthy. I don't want to fat shame because people should be comfortable in their own skin but I don't think this is any healthier a message to send to young girls than stick insect thin women. They are both extreme, just at opposite ends of the spectrum.

luigimario

Banned
I had no idea who she was but was very interested to see a plus size model since I like thick curvey women....

That woman isn't thick or voluptuous, she's overweight to the point where it looks unhealthy. I don't want to fat shame because people should be comfortable in their own skin but I don't think this is any healthier a message to send to young girls than stick insect thin women. They are both extreme, just at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Hahaha that is exactly why I clicked on the link. Was expecting to see "curvy", not........this.

She is medically and clinically obese, high risk of DM type 2, Metabolic syndrome, hypercholesterolemia, increased risk of MI and CVA, sleep apnoea, etc

This was irresponsible of Cosmo, this should not be normalised....

i think they think we are supposed to lie to ourselves and think she is a goddess when she looks like one of those overweight japanese babies. bitch looks like mashed potatos thats been sitting under the sun for a day

You should never hate yourself or your body and Im all for that, but this new movement of fat acceptance where we are "empowering" women for being fat is just stupid and dangerous. We should inspire our youth to live at a health weight. America is fat enough already don't encourage more people to be/stay fat.

She is not fat. She unhealthily obese.

That being said they should be able to put whatever the hell they want on thier cover. I am not offended.

And I am always suspicious of people who who directly go to "think of the children" type arguments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom