• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size model Tess Holliday’s Cosmopolitan magazine cover stirs controversy

Fbh

I'll never understand this "fat acceptance" movement.
I totally get the issue with promoting super unrealistic model thinness and how it has distorted the image of what a person with a normal/healthy weight looks like.

But this whole movement of embracing morbid obesity as this great thing is just beyond me. Not only is it ugly but also very unhealthy.
I mean, if you want to be fat that's ok, it's your body, same as with alcohol or smoking. But don't come crying when people don't find you attractive or when you develop one of the multiple health conditions which are directly linked to obesity.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
a fast burning metabolism is def a thing, you have to eat a lot more mass.
Unless someone has Cushing's syndrome or hypothyroidism, pretty much everything you hear about the metabolism is a myth. Fat people actually have faster metabolisms than thin people because, surprise surprise, it takes more energy to hulk around all that extra weight. Yet fat people aren't burning away the pounds till nothings left naturally by just sitting there.

Last edited:

Ryllix_

Being obese is extremely irresponsible and should not be praised. Especially if you are getting government benefits for being obese. This cultural acceptance of obesity needs to stop.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations on your lack of reading skills, that link listed multiple medical contributors / causes aside from “just being a fat ass.”

Ofc he is wrong but just partially

How most people get fat though aren't rare diseases or HEREDITARY it is simply

I mean you know that fam

Forsythia

There is a big difference between having a few extra pounds and this. She is not healthy and shit like this should not be encouraged.

When I saw the topic title, I thought it would be about a chubby girl or something.

She's bigger than I used to be, and probably much shorter as well. That's completely unhealthy, and it is not physically attractive to most people. That's not saying she can't have a great personality that makes her attractive, but those floppy, sagging arms and jiggling knee fat is just not going to attract people. I never expected anyone to think I was physically attractive when I was pushing 380 at 6'1", and I don't think that is an outlandish thing to say that about her at 300+ and probably <5'6" is.

Also, those tattoos are going to be disgusting when/if she has to lose weight due to joint problems/diabetes/etc. But then I'm sensitive to the excess skin I have, so that may just be my own self-criticism seeping over.

Dunki

When I saw the topic title, I thought it would be about a chubby girl or something.

She's bigger than I used to be, and probably much shorter as well. That's completely unhealthy, and it is not physically attractive to most people. That's not saying she can't have a great personality that makes her attractive, but those floppy, sagging arms and jiggling knee fat is just not going to attract people. I never expected anyone to think I was physically attractive when I was pushing 380 at 6'1", and I don't think that is an outlandish thing to say that about her at 300+ and probably <5'6" is.

Also, those tattoos are going to be disgusting when/if she has to lose weight due to joint problems/diabetes/etc. But then I'm sensitive to the excess skin I have, so that may just be my own self-criticism seeping over.
She is a health hazzard and this should not be celebrated in any form. Not thin models sure as long they are healthy but this is not healthy at all.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
At around 5'3
280-3?? lbs

Her BMI is around 49.6.

BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Grinchy

Banned
She's almost there.

Wall-E%2Bobese%2Bhumans%2B-%2Bcropped.jpg
Maybe if she starts working out a little bit, she'll get there.

She is a health hazzard and this should not be celebrated in any form. Not thin models sure as long they are healthy but this is not healthy at all.

It's not even about the fat, necessarily. She has WAY more belly fat than I did (I had massive arms and legs). That belly fat will dramatically increase her chances for various cancers and organ problems.

A lot of the more reasonable "plus-size" models have most of their weight around their thighs, with a proportionately smaller belly.

Dunki

It's not even about the fat, necessarily. She has WAY more belly fat than I did (I had massive arms and legs). That belly fat will dramatically increase her chances for various cancers and organ problems.

A lot of the more reasonable "plus-size" models have most of their weight around their thighs, with a proportionately smaller belly.
Yeah I bet she has even trouble tying her shoes and other real basic stuff. And it is really dangerous to give people especially children the impression that this is ok. No it is not it is fucking dangerous.

Azurro

Banned
I don't know why people are pushing for this over-weight movement, its like they just want people to be lazy and get diabetes. Like how does that benefit anyone?

The benefit is very simple, in their minds, it's easier to scream at everyone and try to change the world to tell them they are great and beautiful than to get on a treadmill and make an effort. It's laziness and entitlement.

cryptoadam

Banned
People always come up with excuses. But then if you go and read any weight loss thread/comments/blogs its always the same story. I stopped drinking soda, started walking/gym, cut calories and then lost weight.

No one ever says I got a better job, moved to a less racist area, or had the government control what I eat.

You want to lose weight stop eating so god damn much and move a bit.

I don't think anyone should be bullied or shamed, but we shouldn't promote being fat/overweight as something positive. It should be looked down on and anyone who is overweight should be told that they can/will have some serious health issues and need to make lifestyle changes.

llien

Let's promote obesity, shall we? Merely 40% of US population suffers from it, we can do better and reach 100%.

PS
Just curious, are there "XL size" obese male models? Obesity figures are similar across genders.

I like some meat on a woman, but this is just disgusting.

There is that strange idea, that it's not biology, but "societal conditioning" that makes us perceive apparently unhealthy looking bodies as unattractive.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let's promote obesity, shall we? Merely 40% of US population suffers from it, we can do better and reach 100%.

PS
Just curious, are there "XL size" obese male models? Obesity figures are similar across genders.

There is that strange idea, that it's not biology, but "societal conditioning" that makes us perceive apparently unhealthy looking bodies as unattractive.

I never once seen it for "male models"... ever. Not saying they are not a needle in a haystack in comparison type of existence, but this is never pushed for men like it always is for women.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Am I crazy for thinking shits reversed these days?

I’m walking around town seeing “men” with ankles no bigger than the girth of my cock, wearing clothes so tight I can see their veins, who weigh about 3 stone.

I mean... what the fuck are these people? There’s 12 stone me that now currently has no chance in this world because now I’m deemed too fat! WHAT?!***

Yet women look like this and everybody claps and says how brave...

WHAT?!

*** Happily married with a kid, just FYI

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yawn.. The obese woman can do what the fuck she wants for all I care. If she want to gamble on the certainty that she will die relatively young, then that's her decision. So the only thing that provokes me about this cover is the fact that it's meant to be provoking..

Kacho

Those fucking knee rolls tho

giphy-downsized-large.gif

We probably shouldn't encourage others to think it's ok to live an unhealthy lifestyle and potentially die early. I have a little bit of extra weight and my doctor gets on my ass about exercising. Can't imagine how he'd be if I was morbidly obese like that.

Drake

I'll never understand this "fat acceptance" movement.
I totally get the issue with promoting super unrealistic model thinness and how it has distorted the image of what a person with a normal/healthy weight looks like.

But this whole movement of embracing morbid obesity as this great thing is just beyond me. Not only is it ugly but also very unhealthy.
I mean, if you want to be fat that's ok, it's your body, same as with alcohol or smoking. But don't come crying when people don't find you attractive or when you develop one of the multiple health conditions which are directly linked to obesity.

It basically boils down to one thing. There are a lot of fat/overweight feminist women who can't get high quality men. Instead of trying to lose weight they instead try to push this crap into mainstream media in the hopes that men (especially high quality ones) will lower their standards. Unfortunately for them, men are biologically programmed not to find this attractive.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is it even a question whether she is fat? I mean, her arms are bigger than Schwarzenegger's at his most drugged up times.

Is she beautiful? From my perspective hell no, she looks like she does not take care of herself, and like she cannot lead an active life style. Others may find it beautiful though, who am I to judge?

Should we promote being obese like her? No, the whole discussion about fat acceptance / fat shaming is a shame.

SoulUnison

Banned
That's not "plus-sized," that's just dangerously fat.

It's one thing to be happy with your body, but to tell people it's alright to let yourself go to this level and then just be "comfortable" there is irresponsible.

She's not "healthy" by any reasonable medical metric.

Last edited:
Am I crazy for thinking shits reversed these days?

I’m walking around town seeing “men” with ankles no bigger than the girth of my cock, wearing clothes so tight I can see their veins, who weigh about 3 stone.

This is True, OG GAF. :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_darts::messenger_darts::lollipop_bomb::lollipop_bomb::lollipop_bomb:

latest

We're only missing talking about poop and whether a girl is possibly interested.

ickythingz

Banned
I
F45_D6_EB0_329_B_4_B67_812_A_2347_BF669_C78.jpg

I’m surprised she’s not more popular with GAFers seeing as she has the least sharp knees I’ve ever seen.
Lol. Be been coming here waaaaaaay too long.

I worry that some of you here that find this acceptable are parents and will teach your children that this is acceptable. Child protective services might actually need to be called in you should find this "healthy". No favors are are done for humanity by those upporting this.

HoodWinked

She has blesssing/curse of thin face syndrome, no matter how much weight she puts on it doesn't go to her face so her face is still relatively attractive. Kirstie Alley also has this quality about her as well.

if her facial features properly matched her body weight she wouldn't make it as a model.

normally facial features would be like this if you were overweight
main-qimg-cb073e118c0f4230d5666b48ad0367f6

Kadayi

Banned
I remember her, she popped up a few seasons back on the Funny or Die game of thrones recap 'Gay of Thrones' (which is essential recap viewing). As Hoodwink says, she blessed with a thin pretty face, (plus she has that suicide girls rockabilly 50s thing going on) so she looks pretty good from the neck up, but yeah that body weight is excessive. If Cosmo wants to go with a more Rubenesque look that should be looking at someone built along the lines of Lucy Collett (former UK page 3 model) whose definitely plus size, but not necessarily obese: -

6b7731eb740fe5342af37581338bbcce.jpg

brap

Banned
If Cosmo wants to go with a more Rubenesque look that should be looking at someone built along the lines of Lucy Collett (former UK page 3 model) whose definitely plus size, but not necessarily obese: -

6b7731eb740fe5342af37581338bbcce.jpg
gawdamn she fuckin THICC

Tesseract

Banned
Congratulations on your lack of reading skills, that link listed multiple medical contributors / causes aside from “just being a fat ass.”

it's wrong, i'm right. and a contributor is not a cause, fyi.

Unless someone has Cushing's syndrome or hypothyroidism, pretty much everything you hear about the metabolism is a myth. Fat people actually have faster metabolisms than thin people because, surprise surprise, it takes more energy to hulk around all that extra weight. Yet fat people aren't burning away the pounds till nothings left naturally by just sitting there.

it's only faster in minor proportion to their mass.

Last edited:

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
it's wrong, i'm right. and a contributor is not a cause, fyi.

Receipts for your medical qualifications please?

And no, a contributor is not a cause, but it is a contributor. Which speaks to my point - there are more factors at play than just waking up in the morning and clear-headedly deciding, “Yep, I’m going to continue on this road of obesity that I know statistically leads to a premature death and possibly much suffering along the way. Sounds like a good idea.”

It’s ignorant and imo cruel to dismiss the contributing factors that affect many of these individuals.

Do you really not get that? Can you really not empathize with a person like this? Or are we just talking past each other?

I’m not saying this should be glamorized or promoted, I’m just saying that shaming (not the same as sincerely raising valid concerns) and being mean (not the same as being direct) isn’t going to help.

Tesseract

Banned
Receipts for your medical qualifications please?

And no, a contributor is not a cause, but it is a contributor. Which speaks to my point - there are more factors at play than just waking up in the morning and clear-headedly deciding, “Yep, I’m going to continue on this road of obesity that I know statistically leads to a premature death and possibly much suffering along the way. Sounds like a good idea.”

It’s ignorant and imo cruel to dismiss the contributing factors that affect many of these individuals.

Do you really not get that? Can you really not empathize with a person like this? Or are we just talking past each other?

I’m not saying this should be glamorized or promoted, I’m just saying that shaming (not the same as sincerely raising valid concerns) and being mean (not the same as being direct) isn’t going to help.

you're not gonna see me arguing against contributing factors, I just wanted to make it clear what is and isn't a cause.

I guess we agree then, wasn't trying to be mean.

Thankfully every contributing factor can be mitigated.

Last edited:

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
you're not gonna see me arguing against contributing factors, I just wanted to make it clear what is and isn't a cause.

I guess we agree then, wasn't trying to be mean.

Thankfully every contributing factor can be mitigated.

Word, I got ya. And I didn’t necessarily think you were being mean, I guess I was more trying to preempt the inevitable callous drive-by fat jokes and such.

I’ve personally never struggled with weight, if anything I’m like the poster who said they struggle to put on weight. And like you I think a lot of contributing factors can be mitigated - but it isn’t always easy. Poverty, depression, culture and, as is the controversy here, societal norms, can all be huge influences. Some people are more sensitive or susceptible to them than others.

At the end of the day I just think it’s important to remember that when people have problems like this, a little empathy can go a long way. As I said before, a person has to be able to respect themselves and feel they are worth the effort in order to undertake the kinds of changes that are needed in situations like this. So instead of just laughing and expressing our disgust, I’d rather talk about how this individual and people like her can actually try to get healthier.

But I think that’s all I’ve got, I have no particularly strong feeling about this specific instance, just wanted to try to remind people to be nice to each other :) I’ll go lol.

Top Bottom